Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the weather like in your area 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

mahoney_j wrote: »
    2 days of constant persistent drizzly rain ,ground gone very tender again ,today shaping up same way

Haha "tender " would be a romantic description of our place at the minute :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

We escaped the wet yesterday and the day before, seemed to be threatening constantly but never really arrived...

Yesterday was a mighty day with us actually, windy, very mild, great drying...

Heavy ould mist here now this morning tho...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

We escaped the wet yesterday and the day before, seemed to be threatening constantly but never really arrived...

Yesterday was a mighty day with us actually, windy, very mild, great drying...

Heavy ould mist here now this morning tho...

I'd say 2nite is when we'll get it, back fencing the cows this morning and readying shed for 2nite. Twas 1.5 days ago I checked the forecast so must see if it holds that way

• Registered Users Posts: 11,149 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just home and it's been snowing for the past half a hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Base price wrote: »
    Just home and it's been snowing for the past half a hour.

Christ... nice morning here, not mad cold, don't think we had much of a frost at all down this way...

EDIT : After I posted this, the sleet started, and it turned miserable quick enough. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nice coating of snow about. 1c on jeep earlier but it's nice and sunny.

Breeze is cold on the face though, like -5c

• Registered Users Posts: 29,088 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye a coating of snow here too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,524 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Snow,followed by brutal hailstones here,poor baby lambs have humps on their backs in fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Nice and dry here in Wexico and not a bit of sign of any rain or snow that Ireland got last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Wet and cold in Cork. Rain last night showers this morning

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »
    Wet and cold in Cork. Rain last night showers this morning
    The change is a relief anyway:D

Cold showers here all morning since a shower of hailstones for about 15 minutes at 8 that coated the place and left me looking at snowmen running when I went to check the sheep.

Hopefully this spell of weather is the Lion and the rest of the month will peter out like a Lamb:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Nice and dry here in Wexico and not a bit of sign of any rain or snow that Ireland got last night.

Ffs go look outside now. This definitely totally changes my grazing plans for the next week!

Timmaay wrote: »
    Ffs go look outside now. This definitely totally changes my grazing plans for the next week!

Patience. The good weather is on it's way.

Lashing rain

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Raining when I went to bed last night, wake up to a good inch or two of Fcuking snow
    IMG_1232.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 24,366 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Raining when I went to bed last night, wake up to a good inch or two of Fcuking snow
    IMG_1232.JPG

Good 2 or 3 inches of snow in Enfield as I passed through this morning. Driving conditions were dicey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Wet sh1te falling here with wind from the north/NW. Radar shows it could be bad for a few hours more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

Lads need to calm down a bit.just cause jack kennedy et al say u need to have x amount grazed by today doesnt mean ur a **** farmer.its only crap for today and to take up aftervtomorrow.ya its disaggreeable but it could be worse

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

boggerman1 wrote: »
    Lads need to calm down a bit.just cause jack kennedy et al say u need to have x amount grazed by today doesnt mean ur a **** farmer.its only crap for today and to take up aftervtomorrow.ya its disaggreeable but it could be worse

Your right you could be farming in my part of the country where there isn't one dairy herd out to grass anywhere yet! For a change we have a nice if rather breezy morning here in galway

We've always had cows out here in late January and been grabbing grazing whenever we can even before Jack Kennedy was born and hopefully someone will do here as well when he's gone.

• Advertisement

We've always had cows out here in late January and been grabbing grazing whenever we can even before Jack Kennedy was born and hopefully someone will do here as well when he's gone.

That's the point though. Not all parts of the country are as fortunate as you. Yes in an ideal world some people live by these figures. For those of us with heavy land we do the best with what we have. It's not a willy waving competition

whelan2 wrote: »
    That's the point though. Not all parts of the country are as fortunate as you. Yes in an ideal world some people live by these figures. For those of us with heavy land we do the best with what we have. It's not a willy waving competition

It's not but it's a learn and adapt your farm and practices to all situations.

If I was to go on Google earth would I see good cow tracks to all parts of your farm and if the weather turned would you be able or have the inclination to react in time to prevent ground damage?

Are your paddocks square with multiple entry and exit points?
    Have you a reseeding operation in place to ensure early grass? (I'm nearly there on that one with the whole farm).
    Have you multiple water troughs in paddocks?
    Do you plough ground when reseeding?
    Soft the first year but is drier than before ploughing after?
    Do you graze from the back of the paddock first and use a temporary pathway to get there?
    Do you use a back fence when grazing in difficult conditions?
    Do you have a drainage plan for the wettest parts of the farm (either tapping into springs or full scale drainage work)?

The ball is in your hands.
    It depends how you play it too.

I accept there's wet farms and maybe going forward you'd wonder about their viability but there's plenty of farmers around me with drier farms than mine with all stock still in complaining about the weather. So...?

What do you do with people like that?

There's nothing you CAN do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

You can have a state of the art set up and paddocks,roadways etc but if the ground is in **** after a morning like this morning well i for one will leave the cows in.i lucky enough to have a great place for growing grass and is dry enough.cows are out since end of first week in feb and have often been out on jan 20th,but common sense kicks in on a day like today.losing a day or 2 wont make or break me.if it does i might as well sell up.its like when one lad goes cutting silage mid may or is pictyred on the journal cutting silage the rest of us are late cause we have not it done by mid june on.hey we have great quality but have hit the back wall of the pit in middle of february

You can have a state of the art set up and paddocks,roadways etc but if the ground is in **** after a morning like this morning well i for one will leave the cows in.i lucky enough to have a great place for growing grass and is dry enough.cows are out since end of first week in feb and have often been out on jan 20th,but common sense kicks in on a day like today.losing a day or 2 wont make or break me.if it does i might as well sell up.its like when one lad goes cutting silage mid may or is pictyred on the journal cutting silage the rest of us are late cause we have not it done by mid june on.hey we have great quality but have hit the back wall of the pit in middle of february
    I don't know where you're getting this idea about one upmanship from or easily offended about what other people are doing?
    Maybe it's Twitter or Facebook?
    You adapt to the conditions in front of you.
    I have the cows in here now but the neighbour has them out (we didn't get that much rain after, no snow) I might let mine out after for a few hours.
    It's all about trying to save as much money for yourself at the end of the day.
    Phuck what anyone else is doing.

Ah we can sit back and laugh at the "drought" posts on here after a few days of high temperatures.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ah we can sit back and laugh at the "drought" posts on here after a few days of high temperatures.

It won't be me with a drought (famous last words) it'll be the usual suspects
    Freedom
    Keep growing
    Grasstomilk

Them are the pheckers with the dry farms.;):D

I have the cows in here now but the neighbour has them out (we didn't get that much rain after, no snow) I might let mine out after for a few hours.
    It's all about trying to save as much money for yourself at the end of the day.
    Phuck what anyone else is doing.

And indeed the cows are now out munching on grass.
    It's not a competition but if it was.
    "I win". :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

And indeed the cows are now out munching on grass.
    It's not a competition but if it was.
    "I win". :D;)

With the price you guys down there are paying for land you would want them out all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭davidk1394

It is cold and windy. Busy watching the lambs that are outside to make sure they are alright

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Utterly bucketed down here the last hr, drains flooding up etc. Cows standing off on the slatts at the minute, booting them across to the silage paddock they were grazing today is definitely not a running at the min, time to go find a closer spot that they won't do as much damage getting into tonight. Will leave them standing off till 10 or 11pm. Been flatout from 7am till now, and prb an hr ahead of me still, I utterly fooking hate March!!!

Advertisement