Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'trampoline wars' FG Off Topic Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

She is always doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭kitten_k

Last night I wanna is a great time for us

Mmmm- sounds very strange!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Anyone ever have issues with updating Wikipedia pages?

Was trying to give our local GAA Club page a bit of sprucing up and some jumped up moron deleted my edits based off me not providing verifiable sources....

I mean, ok... but if someone can provide me with a verifiable source from 1886 through to 1905 about a small GAA club in Sligo, I'd love help to shove it back in their faces...

Do you know the moron?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Do you know the moron?

Nah, but from my dealings with them they're a kid in Asia with nothing better to do than edit articles on Wikipedia :rolleyes:

Think I sorted it though, seems to be staying put now.

• Advertisement

I’ve set myself the challenge of listening to 1001 albums before I die. Got the idea from listening to A Grand Don’t Come For Free for the first time in yonks. Ended up on their wiki page and it said the album was listed on this ....

https://www.listchallenges.com/1001-albums-you-must-hear-before-you-die-2016/checklist/1

Now I’ve only started this week and listened to a few. Should I really start on page 1 or continue jumping as I’ve already done? You can tick off the ones you’ve listened to.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I own 73. As to whether I've listened to them all, that's debatable. I'll have certainly heard all the songs, but more likely in shuffle mode, than all the way through from beginning to end.

A few pleasant surprises to see included. A few surprising omissions.

Good challenge. Presume you're using Spotify or something similar?

I just put the artist and album into YouTube and select full album

In a similar vein, when I'm stuck for something to read, I usually refer to the BBC's Big Read. I've rarely been disappointed and see it as a challenge to some day read them all. Currently at 83/200.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Wow!! Did you like any more than you thought you would, or did any surprise you?

• Advertisement

Lol, I had to read the list to see my faves. Pleasantly surprised.

Nearly balked at Goosebumps appearing there :pac:

Looks like a relatively decent fiction list imo. At a brief glance.

Oooh that’s a goodun. I should really read much, much more than I do. A good few that I’ve read but either as a child or for school currriculm.

Going for a soak in the bath so choose a number for me please between 1 and 1001 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Going for a soak in the bath so choose a number for me please between 1 and 1001 :D

Hmmmm David Bowie or Elvis Costello ???

Hmmmm David Bowie or Elvis Costello ???

Both good. Elvis though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

quickbeam wrote: »
    In a similar vein, when I'm stuck for something to read, I usually refer to the BBC's Big Read. I've rarely been disappointed and see it as a challenge to some day read them all. Currently at 83/200.

I've read 35.5 of those. Less than most probably coz I don't like Pratchett. And the 0.5 is coz I had to give up on Lolita half way through coz it was so so terrible. Only time in history I've ever not finished a book. I even tortured my way through Wuthering Heights out of sheer spite. Worst book I've ever read.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I've read 35.5 of those. Less than most probably coz I don't like Pratchett. And the 0.5 is coz I had to give up on Lolita half way through coz it was so so terrible. Only time in history I've ever not finished a book. I even tortured my way through Wuthering Heights out of sheer spite. Worst book I've ever read.

Not gone on Pratchett either. Also think, and this is controversial, so I'll say it fast...

RoaldDahlisextremelyoverratedasanauthor

There... I said it...phew!

If we're doing halves then you can add 0.5 to mine too, as I didn't finish Catch-22. Though it's probably more like 0.05, tbh.

I loved Wuthering Heights though. Did it in school, and amazingly they managed not to suck all the joy out of it.

• Advertisement

Necrominus wrote: »
    Not gone on Pratchett either. Also think, and this is controversial, so I'll say it fast...

I liked Pratchett which certainly helped with my number. It did get a bit samey after a while though, so I stopped after about the first 20 or so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

He's a good read for kids.

sKeith wrote: »
    He's a good read for kids.

Enid Blyton is better... imo.

But I was a Blytonaholic as a kid and never liked Dahl's stuff. Found it babyish.

If we're doing halves then you can add 0.5 to mine too, as I didn't finish Catch-22. Though it's probably more like 0.05, tbh.

I loved Wuthering Heights though. Did it in school, and amazingly they managed not to suck all the joy out of it.

Funnily enough most of the books I did in school for the LC I loved. Macbeth, King Lear, Great Expectations. I even liked Jane Eyre. But I read Wuthering Heights in my own time and just despised Cathy and Heathcliff so much it ruined the book for me. Maybe that was the point but I just thought the whole thing was a dreary whinefest for the 2 of them. Make everyone's lives hell and then (spoiler alert) die. Ugh.

We did To Kill A Mockingbird. Unbelievable book. Couldn't put it down and then got annoyed re-reading it like snails in class :pac:

Enid Blyton is better... imo.

But I was a Blytonaholic as a kid and never liked Dahl's stuff. Found it babyish.

Ha and I'm the exact opposite. Hated Blyton, loved Dahl. His autobiographical stuff has stayed with me to this day.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

I have read 50.5 of those books, mainly thanks to my obsession with Jacqueline Wilson as a kid. I also read all of Dahls books, but I’m not the biggest fan.

My 0.5 is the Handmaids Tale. I had to “put it in the freezer” for a while because I was too freaked out by it.

If anyone hasn’t read it, I can recommend the Alchimest. Fantastic read.

I’m going to Portugal in a few weeks and I have about 60 unread books on my Kindle. Some are for college, some are school related and some are nerdy books that I’ll dip in and out of, but I have a decent maybe 20 novels lined up and I cannot wait.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Ha and I'm the exact opposite. Hated Blyton, loved Dahl. His autobiographical stuff has stayed with me to this day.

The one thing about Blyton that irks me is the constant alliteration.

Secret Seven.

Famous Five.

Pretty sure there's others too.

Also they're both basically the same thing, lol.

Famous Five rocked though. Currently reading my 4 year old the first book (well, not right this moment but at bed times)

The one thing about Blyton that irks me is the constant alliteration.

Secret Seven.

Famous Five.

Pretty sure there's others too.

Also they're both basically the same thing, lol.

Famous Five rocked though. Currently reading my 4 year old the first book (well, not right this moment but at bed times)

Five Finder-outers :)

I liked Blyton, but she was for younger kids. Dahl was a tiny bit older. Pratchet a good bit older - mid teens to mid twenties probably.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Five Finder-outers :)

I liked Blyton, but she was for younger kids. Dahl was a tiny bit older. Pratchet a good bit older - mid teens to mid twenties probably.

Never read Pratchett.

Here’s a confession, whilst we’re being honest with each other: I don’t like Sci-Fi or Fantasy. I cannot stand Star Trek/Star Wars/LOTR/Game of Thrones etc.

With the exception of Harry Potter, obviously. But that’s because deep down I believe that the MOM lost my contact details. But everything else, unless it’s believable, I cannot deal with it. I just don’t understand it :(

Advertisement