Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cringeworthy irish traditions that won't just die

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Don't forget Queenstown and Bagnelstown

• Registered Users Posts: 15,915 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Don't forget Queenstown and Bagnelstown

The former is still known as Cobh except in historical references, the latter is like one of those name changes like Mostrim/Rath Luirc/An Uaimh mooted by officialdom but which never really caught on with the public.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Expensive over the top weddings where the couple feel obliged to invite every single person they've ever met.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Probably said already but the Rose of Tralee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

MacDonalds Green Milkshakes on St Patricks day. Taste Yuck anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,962 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

and Kings County and Queens County

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭KingBrian2

Media treating everyone in the country as though they are married with children.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

Villages in the arsehole of nowhere falling over themselves to find a connection to a US president in the hope of flogging a few pints. Cnuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

St.Patrick's Day Parades everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

LordSutch wrote: »
    Thanking the bus driver when he stops at the bus stop!

Don't worry. It will probably become extinct like every other expression of pleasantry in Ireland, as well as every other aspect of instinctive tolerance and good manners. If you don't believe me read this thread from start to finish.
    The new man ( boy? ) seems to think that if it's not my thing it shouldn't exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The world's richest organization going door to door begging for money every Monday night.

Who pls?
    '

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

nuac wrote: »
    Who pls?
    '

They've prob forgotten by now :P :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

And Kingsbridge

We called it Dyflin when I was a childer.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

They've a;;probably been said before but couldn't be arsed reading the whole thread to find out:

1. Shouting/Singing 'IRA' during the chorus of Fields of Athenry.

2. Singing 'Who the fúck is Alice' every single fúcking time the song is played.

3. The audience on the Late Late clapping like spasticated sea-lions every time there is a hint of a song or music on the show.

4. Wearing GAA jerseys on holidays.

5. Singing Ole Ole Ole at every single fúcking event where theres an irish person involved. It used to be reserved for football matches but now it doesn't make any difference, if there are irish people in the audience then you can be guarantee'd it'll be sung. Its absolutely the most cringeworthy thing ever and an absolute national embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Blaming politicians, (who they've freely elected), for anything that goes wrong.

Example: if someone dies in hospital through some medical f**kup, the Minister for Health gets blamed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Hounding people to have tea, Mrs Doyle style.

Probably something that will die out with the older generation but it's astonishingly crazy. My mother is the worst for it. I remember seeing people coming to the house, saying as they entered the room "Now, I'm JUST after eating a massive dinner, I'm fit to be sick, so absolutely no need to make tea on my account" and low and behold they are browbeaten into drinking it.
    Then people who only ask the once and don't repeatedly keep at it, are viewed as poor hosts / mean spirited / auld fúckers! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Pherekydes wrote: »
    The world's richest organization going door to door begging for money every Monday night.

Eh? Do Bill and Melinda call round your gaff every week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Ireland’s cringeist tradition is people worrying about anything that is mildly different from anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Agricola wrote: »
    Hounding people to have tea, Mrs Doyle style.

Probably something that will die out with the older generation but it's astonishingly crazy. My mother is the worst for it. I remember seeing people coming to the house, saying as they entered the room "Now, I'm JUST after eating a massive dinner, I'm fit to be sick, so absolutely no need to make tea on my account" and low and behold they are browbeaten into drinking it.
    Then people who only ask the once and don't repeatedly keep at it, are viewed as poor hosts / mean spirited / auld fúckers! :D

My betters halfs mother is unreal for this, she'll make dinner and my plate will be 3 times the size of theirs, but I'll be harassed into ice cream, tea then biscuits and bars!
    I could last the week after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭glaswegian

Crea wrote: »
    Anyone over the age of 12 calling their mother "Mammy".
    even worse they're now calling they're mother mom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

glaswegian wrote: »
    Crea wrote: »
    Anyone over the age of 12 calling their mother "Mammy".
    I'd rather be mom than mammy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭worded

My betters halfs mother is unreal for this, she'll make dinner and my plate will be 3 times the size of theirs, but I'll be harassed into ice cream, tea then biscuits and bars!
    I could last the week after that.

If you have a few extra pounds you wont be attractive to anyone so you will stay happily married to their pride a joy as you cant stray.

They sound like feeders

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Or worse still oh "Mummy"

Aaarrghh....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Traveling football fans who bring flags with Father Ted references.
    Yes very disrespectful. In certain countries you'd be locked up for defacing the national flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

My mother always says goodbye to the person presenting the weather. Also lighting the fire but opening the windows to 'let the air in' then complain the house is freezing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

In what other way does someone refer to their own mother afaik they dont generally call them by their actual name i sure as hell don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭glaswegian

I'd rather be mom than mammy.
    I rest my case.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Pac1Man wrote: »
    Traveling football fans who bring flags with Father Ted references.
    Yes very disrespectful. In certain countries you'd be locked up for defacing the national flag.

Wow I posted that over a year ago. How time flies.

I'm sorry DEFTLEFTHAND, but I'm a different person now. I'm unsure whether I can stand by all of my posts and views from back then. I still hope we can be friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

EPAndlee wrote: »
    My mother always says goodbye to the person presenting the weather. Also lighting the fire but opening the windows to 'let the air in' then complain the house is freezing

My granny used to do the same with newsreaders and weather people. I always thought it was sweet.

• Advertisement

Clapping when the plane lands.

I do this Ironically. I absolutely love doing it. I think I'm hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement