Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to travel to Orlando on a budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Johann. wrote: »
    Yo :)

I did it last year for the first time, definitely worth it. If I remember correctly, we paid an extra €100 or so, to add it on to our park tickets, probably as you've mentioned above. However, we also only visited the one night. We also used the express which was an extra $100, which we paid locally. It was needed. The waiting times per 'experience' were crazy and the extra $100 allowed us to do everything in the one night, as we stayed from opening until about 1.30am. We didn't stop in between experiences, moved from one to the other.

I haven't experienced it having not used the fast pass, however it just looked like it was taking forever, perhaps another member could clarify that if having experienced it without!

Thanks for that. The price for one night for 2 people is $160ish then add on the express and it comes to $400 for the 2 of us. Fairly pricey but I do want to enjoy it too and not spend the night queueing. We're going on Sunday 1st October, probably not as crazy as Saturdays or the week leading up to Halloween but will still be busy. I'm not sure what to do...is the cost of getting the express worth it I wonder. Do you recall the night you visited? Was is a Saturday or close to Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Johann.

Lima Golf wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The price for one night for 2 people is $160ish then add on the express and it comes to $400 for the 2 of us. Fairly pricey but I do want to enjoy it too and not spend the night queueing. We're going on Sunday 1st October, probably not as crazy as Saturdays or the week leading up to Halloween but will still be busy. I'm not sure what to do...is the cost of getting the express worth it I wonder. Do you recall the night you visited? Was is a Saturday or close to Halloween?
    Can't recall exactly what date it was, or day. However, we flew from Dublin on the 8th of October, for 10 days, it was probably towards the end of the holiday also.

It's definitely worth it in my opinion, I have no problem queuing & would never purchase the express for the parks, we had entered on the night and then returned to the entrance to purchase them having seen the first queue.

In all my visits to Orlando, it was my first time doing the HHN. It's a huge thing, place was packed with locals, so I'm not entirely sure it's going to matter a huge amount what day you go on. Bear in mind, it's pretty much a sellout every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

FWIW, the official Universal site has 2 park base ticket x 2 days up for $199 - approx €175 plus tax. That covers US and islands of adventure but a full day in each without the option to hop between both on the Hogwart Express. Not a bad deal if the 3rd park (the water park) was not on your 'must-do' list. Valid for 7 days from first use.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭bobbyg

Not sure if it's been mentioned earlier in the thread as I haven't had time to read it all but for anyone thinking of going I found this site excellent for info on Orlando. https://www.thedibb.co.uk/forums/index.php I still visit the site now despite the fact I am unlikely to get back to Orlando for at least another 3 years

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

We are travelling to Florida in September and are planning on spending 5 days in the theme parks. What is the cheapest way to see as much as possible? The offer of 2 days in universal for 175 looks good. We had about 100 a day in our heads

• Advertisement

hogandrew wrote: »
    We are travelling to Florida in September and are planning on spending 5 days in the theme parks. What is the cheapest way to see as much as possible? The offer of 2 days in universal for 175 looks good. We had about 100 a day in our heads
    How many people/kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

dodzy wrote: »
    How many people/kids?

2 adults

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

We are using attractionticketsdirect, seem to the best value. Travelling as 2 adults in September too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

You won't be able to visit all the parks in five days so you will have to prioritize, if you are into thrill rides then two days minimum at Universal Studio's, maybe a day at SeaWorld, it has probably the three best coasters in
    Manta, Kraken & Mako,
    If you've a car, Busch gardens is an hour 20 minutes away, there is also a return bus

Maybe consider a day at Discovery Cove, if you buy the Ultimate ticket, it includes entrance (& parking I think)to SeaWorld, Busch Gardens & Aquatica which is a pretty good water park

If it was me, I'd skip Disney, do two days at Universal & a day each at Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens or two days at Universal & one day each at SW, BG & Aquatica

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

If you got park hopper tickets and the express pass you'll be able to do everything in both Universal theme parks (excluding Volcano Bay obviously) in a day. We have done it before, mind you after it you'll be wrecked! Also if you are going late September you may be hampered by the cut off point for where day guests need to leave for the turnover to Halloween Horror Nights.

If you were thinking Disney I think Hollywood Studios and Animal Kingdom are the better ones for two adults.

• Advertisement

You won't be able to visit all the parks in five days so you will have to prioritize, if you are into thrill rides then two days minimum at Universal Studio's, maybe a day at SeaWorld, it has probably the three best coasters in
    Manta, Kraken & Mako,
    If you've a car, Busch gardens is an hour 20 minutes away, there is also a return bus

Maybe consider a day at Discovery Cove, if you buy the Ultimate ticket, it includes entrance (& parking I think)to SeaWorld, Busch Gardens & Aquatica which is a pretty good water park

If it was me, I'd skip Disney, do two days at Universal & a day each at Discovery Cove, SeaWorld, Busch Gardens or two days at Universal & one day each at SW, BG & Aquatica

If it's the other half, she'll probably want to hit Mickey & Minnie mouse. 9 parks in MK.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭sue97

One year we did the Disney Not So Scary Halloween Party on our first night and Christmas Party on the last night. We also got Universal tickets for the 2 weeks. it meant the kids got two visits to Disney (main park), we also got enough sweets on trick or treat to keep the kids going for the whole holidays.

Christmas party was not anywhere near as good INO

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Just booked our flights from Shannon to Orlando in July can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Good deals at mo for Shannon? Price? Route? Airline?

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Good deals at mo for Shannon? Price? Route? Airline?

Well Shannon suited us , it was with united airlines , Shannon stopover at ewr , approx 410 each way per person. , We are doing internal flights after and not returning from Orlando .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

I am looking at DUB-MCO in May and flights are coming up with e-travel.ie at €251 out through Philadelphia and back through Charlotte. The airline though is American Airlines. What is the story with seats can anyone tell me. We will be with 3 kids so have to be together. Anyone have experience with them and e-travel too? Great deal on flights if it works out...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

You can select seats free of charge with AA. I've flown through PHL and CLT and they're grand. Used etravel before without issues as well.

You can select seats free of charge with AA. I've flown through PHL and CLT and they're grand. Used etravel before without issues as well.

Thanks. I was thinking too good to be true... I've email etravel to see what they say just in case. Pulling the trigger tonight hopefully on the flights...

OK, rang etravel and she said that it is free to book seats within 24hours of flight but if you need to book seats now, it would be 60-70 dollars per person but I would have to phone AA to check exactly what it would be. So United are 350 for same dates.
    Anyone have recent experience with them and booking the seats/charges?

I booked flights with AA two days ago DUB-PHL-MCO and could book seats for free. I've also booked seats with UA in April and didn't get charged.

The recent booking two days ago was direct through AA but I've booked through Vayama and AA and was able to pick seats no problem.

• Advertisement

I booked flights with AA two days ago DUB-PHL-MCO and could book seats for free. I've also booked seats with UA in April and didn't get charged.

The recent booking two days ago was direct through AA but I've booked through Vayama and AA and was able to pick seats no problem.
    OK, thanks for your help. I assume that it depends on whether there are available Free seats or not but booking this far ahead I would hope so..... Oh what to do...:confused:
    Going on the AA website with the same booking and costing alot more I have looked at the seat plan and some are free and then alot are preferred ($).

Id just book the cheapest. If you can preselect free seats great otherwise they'll sort you out at checkin.

Id just book the cheapest. If you can preselect free seats great otherwise they'll sort you out at checkin.
    OK, thanks. Would they not tell us to p off though at the airport and split us up or else make us pay? 3/5/7 year olds....

I very much doubt it. I've never had issues getting sat together on long haul flights and the internal American flights. Even still at 72 hours out you'll be able to book seats.

What I'd do is book the flights and see if you can select seats on aa.com. If not teeet them and ask them to. If still not try at 72 hours out. Then try at checkin. You'll be fine.

I very much doubt it. I've never had issues getting sat together on long haul flights and the internal American flights. Even still at 72 hours out you'll be able to book seats.

What I'd do is book the flights and see if you can select seats on aa.com. If not teeet them and ask them to. If still not try at 72 hours out. Then try at checkin. You'll be fine.
    Great thanks. I'll book em so tonight, assuming they don't jump up in price in the meantime and let ye know.

Happy Days, Booked flights with E-Travel, got confirmation, accessed AMerican Airlines site, selected seats (no charge) and away we go in May! Glad I did some digging around today and asked here and saved the gutts of over €700 for the 5 of us. Result

Great to hear. You definitely bagged a bargain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,829 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'm "here" at the minute, AA from Shannon for the last 3 years and we have 5 seats in a row (except for aisle of course) booked for all our flights since December and everything smooth as butter, never a hint of an issue with AA, they may change the flight times by a few minutes but your original seat bookings remain.
    I'd buy some dollars now if I was you, dollar weak and strong euro is giving great FX at the minute

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭adam88

We are using attractionticketsdirect, seem to the best value. Travelling as 2 adults in September too.

Prob too late but I found buying tickets when over to be the cheapest. Our hotel had a ticket desk and they were practically giving them away compared to attractionticketsdirect

• Advertisement

Lads, done the avatar flight passage this afternoon in Animal Kingdom. Without question, the best thrill Disney currently has to offer. If you're there, do it. If you're going, do it. Get a fast pass if you can, although they're like gold dust, cause the wait is minimum 2hrs in the regular queue. It is simply amazing. Nothing touches it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement