Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to travel to Orlando on a budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

slave1 wrote: »
    €20 will buy some nice ice cream out there, enjoy :)

Lol every little helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

According to Google maps, it would cost about $35 to get an Uber from Orlando airport to international drive. Does anyone know how accurate that is?

I don't want to hire a car when I go.

Airport transfer company's are charging about 100

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

According to Google maps, it would cost about $35 to get an Uber from Orlando airport to international drive. Does anyone know how accurate that is?

Reasonable accurate, from MCO you will have to select Uber XL or Family if you're a group with luggage or you won't fit it all in, there is a $10 surcharge for airport pickups, depends also whereabouts on international drive your going, it's 18km long
    Budget < $50, don't need to tip driver

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭RayCon

Any recommendations for Car Hire ? Have always booked with travel agent here before we go but this year prices seem crazy.

Expedia and eBookers are looking decent (approx €400 for 2 weeks / Large Size car) but I want to be sure I get the policy that covers everything and the only thing the desk can try to upsell to me is Upgrading the car - no extra insurance etc

RayCon wrote: »
    Any recommendations for Car Hire ? Have always booked with travel agent here before we go but this year prices seem crazy.

Expedia and eBookers are looking decent (approx €400 for 2 weeks / Large Size car) but I want to be sure I get the policy that covers everything and the only thing the desk can try to upsell to me is Upgrading the car - no extra insurance etc

https://www.uscarhire.com

I've used them since 2011 with zero issues, all insurance included in quote, paid €400ish for a full size with Alamo through them for next month but reading elsewhere, prices seem to fluctuating and be generally high this year across the board,

If you choose an Alamo vehicle with them you can check in online with Alamo declining any extras

Haven't used AlamoBrits they are also popular with UK residents especially

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I have used usrentacar.co.uk the last 3 times. I picked Alamo. All insurance etc. included. 17 nights, full size SUV, GBP383.82. In 2008, same car for 14 nights was GBP260. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Seems about right, for reference when we were last there in 2015 a taxi for 7 plus luggage cost $45 including tip between the airport and the top of international Drive near universal studios. Pre booking it seemed to be cheaper.

Can I ask why you don't want to hire a car? The first time we went we didn't hire a car and while it was fine the second time we did hire a car and it makes a huge difference to how much you can get out of your holiday.

If you're staying on international drive and not driving you should get an I trolley ticket, you can hop on/off the trolleys that go up and down I drive, handy for getting to I drive 360 and food/shops. You can get off at a stop outside wet n wild and walk to universal studios easily enough too unless you have really young children with you. Getting to Disney can be a pain, try to use the hotels shuttles, space can be limited on them and you are stuck to their schedule but try to pre book onto them and make sure you don't miss them. Also be aware that there is a toll to get onto Disney property and getting an Uber there will likely also mean you will have to pay this toll, same for some of the taxis I believe. Universal has a drop off/pick up area that isn't tolled.

Not aware of any tolls going from I-drive to Disney unless you're talking about the Disney car parking booths,

Here is info for traveling to Disney using Uber which will be cheaper than taxi's & quicker I-drive hotel shuttles

https://www.uber.com/cities/orlando/destinations/walt-disney-world/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Depending on how budget yoru trip is you can get the Lynx bus 42 from MCO to I-Drive, goes straight, takes 60/70 mins. If it was 2 adults with not too much luggage I'd go for it.

I've seen some people say they were getting a free hotel shuttle bus to any random hotel and then getting the Uber from there.

Use the Uber fare calculator on the their website to get approx costs.

We were thinking of getting an Uber to Haines City so would have been much cheaper from a hotel. As far as IDrive only, not sure I'd bother because the saving was much smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Not aware of any tolls going from I-drive to Disney unless you're talking about the Disney car parking booths,

Here is info for traveling to Disney using Uber which will be cheaper than taxi's & quicker I-drive hotel shuttles

https://www.uber.com/cities/orlando/destinations/walt-disney-world/

Yes I am talking about the parking toll to get onto Disney property, it has to be paid even if you're not parking there, last time we were there even some taxis (I think it was Mears that was an exception) had to pay this toll and it was passed onto us, if it's still the same then I guess Uber drivers would also ask you to pay it as it would wipe out any money they would make over the trip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Careful_now!

Can I ask why you don't want to hire a car? The first time we went we didn't hire a car and while it was fine the second time we did hire a car and it makes a huge difference to how much you can get out of your holiday.

Not getting a car because I haven't got a credit card, and I'm not getting back to having another one, and using debit card is just awkward.

I would love to hire a car there but it's bit feasible

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Hello, I am looking to book flights for next summer. Rather than booking direct and to save a few bucks I can do a 1 stop flight. We will have 3 kids with us. Just wondering if someone could recommend an airline? We can go out of Shannon or Dublin.
    Was looking at United but from googling, they have huge fees for getting seats together as a family or am I wrong. Our kids will be 7/5/3 so want them sitting with us.
    Any info greatly appreciated. Dates are going on May 5th to 16th.

Hello, I am looking to book flights for next summer. Rather than booking direct and to save a few bucks I can do a 1 stop flight. We will have 3 kids with us. Just wondering if someone could recommend an airline? We can go out of Shannon or Dublin.
    Was looking at United but from googling, they have huge fees for getting seats together as a family or am I wrong. Our kids will be 7/5/3 so want them sitting with us.

United are grand out of SNN, good IFE too, lands about 11.20 in EWR, if possible book the flight option down to MCO, think it's around 1pm, will get you into MCO around 3.30, you don't change terminals in EWR, you will have enough time to stretch your legs and a bite to eat, your bags go straight through to MCO, it's very straight forward

On the return trip, book flight to leave MCO, around 2.30, gives you a little bit of breathing space in case of any delays

EWR is a United hub, any delays, you'll be looked after, our last three trips have been with United, no problems, they are our first choice for MCO out of SNN

There is no issue with seating, once you book the flights, you can go in and book all your seats for all four flights, there is no extra charge for this unless things have changed since May

Early may is a good time to go, hot & sunny, little or no rain

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Thanks NaughtySmurf. I'm not sure if this link will work but I'm on a phone
    ... https://www.united.com/ual/en/ie/flight-search/book-a-flight/reviewflight?cartId=b5da890c-8502-4f32-af89-4c2535124107&vendorQuery=True

But I think I was looking at details for Basic Economy. Ok, gonna pull the trigger on them in the next few days. And have this thread followed.
    Yes, been 5 or 6 times now and want to save a little on flight.
    Thanks again.

Away to bed now but we flew bog standard economy, no issue with free seating or bag charges, first bag free transatlantic 50lbs / 23kg

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

Thanks NaughtySmurf. I'm not sure if this link will work but I'm on a phone
    ... https://www.united.com/ual/en/ie/flight-search/book-a-flight/reviewflight?cartId=b5da890c-8502-4f32-af89-4c2535124107&vendorQuery=True

But I think I was looking at details for Basic Economy. Ok, gonna pull the trigger on them in the next few days. And have this thread followed.
    Yes, been 5 or 6 times now and want to save a little on flight.
    Thanks again.

Any ideas when flights for July 2018 Willbe available to buy ,flying from.shannon

Any ideas when flights for July 2018 Willbe available to buy ,flying from.shannon

Just starting to become available now, returning up until July 6th but no economy seats showing at the moment, it's usually 11 months, give it a few weeks, the availability & prices should settle down

Set up an alert on skyscanner, very handy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭slegs

Small tip I picked up when booking earlier this year that may be of use to some.

Booking on British Airways website out of Dublin, I was able to get cheapish flights without having to pay the full fare up front just a deposit.

Trick is this - only when buying a "holiday" package do they allow a deposit on cheap rates so if you bundle your car hire and flights on the BA site this qualifies and you only have to pay ~10% and the rest 1 month before travel.

I was able to get flights for 6 of us return including car hire worth 800eur (minivan) for 4200eur on the easter fortnight (most expensive period due to demand). Aer Lingus was 5.3k+ flights alone. Flights are codeshare on United connecting through Philadelphia.

I trawled every option and this was the best value I could get without having to pay upfront while not going to UK to connect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

slegs wrote: »
    I was able to get flights for 6 of us return including car hire worth 800eur (minivan) for 4200eur on the easter fortnight (most expensive period due to demand). Aer Lingus was 5.3k+ flights alone. Flights are codeshare on United connecting through Philadelphia.

Flights would be with American through PHL not United.

Flights would be with American through PHL not United.

Sorry yes you are correct

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Why would you book so early?

Prices are (normally) better 8-10 weeks ahead of flying.
    Emphasis on the normally bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Not getting a car because I haven't got a credit card, and I'm not getting back to having another one, and using debit card is just awkward.

I would love to hire a car there but it's bit feasible

No issue with debit cards. I use them all the time there. Look up fox rent a car. Off site and cheaper.

lambayire wrote: »

Maybe, maybe not

We got reasonable prices, 5 & 4 months out <€500 per person indirect out of SNN, great direct price 11 months out ex DUB
    With SNN, which we prefer, if you want to fly United, there is only one flight per day so availability is limited & sometimes families travel dates are not flexible

Had originally booked with Delta at €500pp 9/10 months out via JFK as they were originally cheaper than United, then they went & changed our outward flight by 24 hours, got a refund & booked cheaper with United

I tracked the prices last year, once they settled down after initial release, they were pretty stable

For us, United's flight times are better, getting into MCO at 3.30pm but I'd hold off booking until down to around 500 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭kindalen

Am I right in thinking Disney park tickets for trip work out around $1600/2000 for 5/7 days for 2adults/2kids?

kindalen wrote: »
    Am I right in thinking Disney park tickets for trip work out around $1600/2000 for 5/7 days for 2adults/2kids?

Afraid so, kids become adults at 9 as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Heading to Orlando in a few weeks, this thread has been a fantastic read so thank you so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

kindalen wrote: »

My daughter is working in Magic Kingdom forthe Summer and she accrues a family pass for every 150 hrs worked. Hope to have 4 family passes when er get there in 2 weeks. Coupled with the Un Studio passes (14day unlimited 3 park) @ €244 each. Couldn't find them cheaper - touramerica.

lambayire wrote: »

For me we had to go at Easter and so I couldnt risk demand driving prices or even availability out of reach

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭MB05

Have a look at www.e-travel.ie for the same flights. My brother is going to a wedding in Orlando at the end of May next year and I got him a great deal through this website. He got DUB-EWR-MCO with United for about €395 when the flights opened for his dates a few weeks ago. They were about €420 with United direct at the same time. They were even cheaper if he flew mid week but he went for Thursday to Friday (15 nights) so the price was a little more expensive.

I just checked the dates you quoted on e-travel from SNN and the cheapest flight with decent connection times came up as Delta through JFK at about €408 per person. United was a little dearer at €443 each.

Not sure how that compares to the prices you are getting but it is worth a look. They have a search engine like skyscanner where you can filter out long connections, transferring airports, and overnight stays etc so if nothing else it helps you find a flight connection you are happy with and then search elsewhere.

I think the price my brother paid also included paying extra for their assistance should he need it (he got it primarily to ask for them to choose certain seats on the plane for them). It's a tenner per booking so it added a fiver to his and his girlfriend's flight price so it's not much when you break it down like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭dodzy

ATM question folks:

Withdrawing say $500 from an ATM incurs a charge with AIB of 35c transaction fee plus an extra 2.1% of that fee (according to a customer service agent on a call there a few mins ago). Anyone know what kind of fee/commission you will be liable for from the American banking side?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement