Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to travel to Orlando on a budget

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Basically parity or worse now by the time you add sales tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Trojan00

Great thread!

Any tips on shopping in and around the Orlando area? I am travelling in July with my family of 6. We will have a car so don't mind driving a bit out of the way for bigger savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

Trojan00 wrote: »
    Great thread!

Any tips on shopping in and around the Orlando area? I am travelling in July with my family of 6. We will have a car so don't mind driving a bit out of the way for bigger savings.

Close to Disney Springs you have Orlando Vineland Premium Outlets, The Florida Mall is closer to Universal, The Mall of Millenia, didn't think there was much there but there is a Cheesecake factory

Can't really comment too much as I just get dragged along to the above to carry the bags but assume because of the poor exchange rate the bargains won't be as good as in the past

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

We have been going to Florida on and off for about 12 years. We have family in Bradentokn on the Gulf Coast.As others have suggested Florida Mall etc. We dont stay in Orlando a lot and our shopping is done largely in the Ellenton Outlet Malls and the University Town Centre near Sarasota we have always found that Orlando whilst in general way better than Ireland has Orlando Prices and further away we tend to fair better. Equally you may not want to spend a few hours driving but you might drive to say Clearwater have a morning afternoon on the beautiful Gulf coast and then take in some shopping.
    Swimmng in the Gulf in the summer is amazing its like swimming in a lovely bath..either way engjoy.
    PS if you are around Orlando and want something different try http://bcairboats.com/ Its a few years since we went but my now 20 year olds still say it was a brilliant day

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Trojan00 wrote: »
    Great thread!

We prefer Lake Buena Vista Factory Stores and a wee drive away Altamonte Mall

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

slave1 wrote: »
    I 2nd that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

I posted up a few savings tips for shopping in US (non restaurants/theme parks etc.). Feel free to add to it:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102189925#post102189925

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

LBVFS always have better prices than both Premium Outlets on either end of IDrive.

We often do better in the regular malls though, JC Penney and Macys always do great 40%+ off coupons, doorbusters, $10 off €25 coupons (digital or printed). Get yourself a Sunday paper and you'll see all the deals or sign up on their website to get emails.

Over Clearwater/Beach side, Ellenton Premium Outlets, Tyrone Square Mall and Countryside Mall you'll get good deals. If it's outlets you're looking for Ellenton is far better than the new Tampa Outlets (North of Tampa at Lutz). We went for the day but were totally underwhelmed and left after a couple of hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭benny79

I see Tour America were advertising Orlando for €659 pps with flights + Accom on the telly this morning I know this is restricted to certain times of the year..but still a great price you usually need 4.

I went with 2 cousins and my mate about 10 years ago as we got a last minute deal for €450 each for flights and accom.. We stayed in International Drive in like a Travel lodge standard in Oct we didnt care obviously for that price! had no kids at the time, but would really love to go back again now with my son while he's still young! He's 7 now so here's hoping

Those tour America prices are for only one week though,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭gandalfio

Any tips on the best/cheapest way to use Internet on your phone over there? My resort charges high daily fees for WiFi. Is buying a sim card over there loaded with data the best option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

gandalfio wrote: »
    Any tips on the best/cheapest way to use Internet on your phone over there? My resort charges high daily fees for WiFi. Is buying a sim card over there loaded with data the best option?

I have a UK Three sim card I use over there. Came with 3GB free on it. Top it up everytime before I head over. Worked out cheaper than the US sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,185 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

slave1 wrote: »
    Shame the Dollar is so poor

You mean "shame the dollar is so strong".

It's the euro that has weakened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭prettyboy81

Geuze wrote: »

Bloody dollar!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Geuze wrote: »

What they said was fine, the value is poor. Now if they said "weak" you may have had a point in pedantry.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

Car hire recommendations for 10 days in Florida please ? 2 adults / 1 teenager ?

I'm looking and it appears that you need to pay toll pass cover thats over a tenner per day just in case you need to use tolls (as there are no pay options for hire cars and you'll likely be hammered in charges if you decline this option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 783 ✭✭✭nsa0bupkd3948x

dodzy wrote: »
    Car hire recommendations for 10 days in Florida please ? 2 adults / 1 teenager ?

I'm looking and it appears that you need to pay toll pass cover thats over a tenner per day just in case you need to use tolls (as there are no pay options for hire cars and you'll likely be hammered in charges if you decline this option.

I never get the toll pass or however they brand it. Normally just pay cash for first few tolls before I get to the house and then pick up the Sun Pass and use that. Make sure you have quarters though as some tolls don't take notes.

The toll pass is not needed, especially if you are staying in the usual places, Lake Buena Vista, Kissimmee, International Drive etc and spending your time mainly at the parks. I wouldn't expect to pay more than $15 over a two week period including a trip to Busch Gardens

Just pull into the right, pay as you go & get change at the first one, the odd booth like at the Celebration exit is cashless so coins needed, you can't really miss the toll booths

Try uscarhire.com, low deposit & all insurance included

Never got a toll pass, way overpriced if you are travelling typical tourists routes, just make sure when you land you have coins before you leave the airport as there are some exit booths that are not manned and you need coins for these.
    Tolls are axel dependant and vary from 50c to $1.50, just to give you an idea, I usually take the toll road for the first drive to villa and then after that have toll roads avoided on the Sat Nav

• Registered Users Posts: 9,950 ✭✭✭dodzy

Thanks guys for the toll advice. I'll have a look at that uscarhire (thanks smurf) as I would prefer to go down the "full cover" route

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

I have used us carhire.com a nuber of times in Orlando and other parts of USA. And would highly recommend them. Great value and because it is all inclusive there is no up sales for insurances to deal with at counter. Just becareful they will try and get you to up grade the car.

If you get a Satnav just set to avoid tolls, only adds few minutes to journey to usual holiday locations. And over next few days you pick upcoins for tolls if needed. Thats what I usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

What tickets do you all buy. We just really want to do disney and universal? Thinking of 2 weeks next year
    2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 1). Getting 2k as a quote, just interested in what you all do

javagal wrote: »
    What tickets do you all buy. We just really want to do disney and universal? Thinking of 2 weeks next year
    2 adults and 2 kids (5 and 1). Getting 2k as a quote, just interested in what you all do

Just my personal opinion but your kids are a bit young to get much out of Universal, for Disney, youngest won't need any tickets as under three's are free, you've many options, you can get a 14 day Ultimate ticket X 3 (€1318) that will give you all admission to all Disney parks including the water parks for 14 days, plus free disney mini golf really that's 8/9 days covered, you'll need a few non park days just to recharge the batteries, that's probably what I'd go with

Maybe SeaWorld & Lego Land? considering the kids ages but I'd skip Universal & Busch Gardens this time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

javagal wrote: »

2k sounds cheap for 2018 prices if you are getting a 14 day pass for all Disney & Universal parks, I just checked for 2 adults and 2 kids and for Disney & Universal but no Busch Gardens or Seaworld its over 3k.

Make sure to get a breakdown of what that 2k includes, you may be missing the ability to park hop or there may be some other limitations. Park hopping is great for getting the most out of Disney parks.

EDIT: Didn't realise you needed only 3 tickets for Disney, above is based on two adult and two kids combination tickets.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

The OP mentioned Alamo Brits for car hire. I'm getting a really good price and a free additional driver from them. I see in their terms and conditions you must have a UK licence and a copy of some guide book to avail of the offer. Is that enforced does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭mags1962

Not in my experience ,used Alamo Brits 3 times in the past including last year and never been asked just do the skip the line check in before you go and have that paperwork with you ,go straight to garage when you land guy there will send you to the row of cars you picked and you choose any car in that row ,drive to booth on way out show you paperwork and away you go.

Lima Golf wrote: »
    The OP mentioned Alamo Brits for car hire. I'm getting a really good price and a free additional driver from them. I see in their terms and conditions you must have a UK licence and a copy of some guide book to avail of the offer. Is that enforced does anyone know?

Irish licence is fine, never an issue in 4 separate hires with them, they put a pop up on their website around 2 years ago regarding the book but I've never heard of anyone being asked, the guys on the ground have no idea of the booking details. Our first year of having to have the guide book I bought a second hand one off ebay or Amazon for something like £2, was a good read but as said never asked for it and from being a regular reader of other fora have never seen any reference to anyone being asked for it.
    As it turns out I'v booked car hire via British Airways for this year, £398 for Intermediate SUV with all taxes and additional driver, 18 days in August

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Thank you both for the replies. Good to know they don't check that. I checked British airways and they're coming in €20 cheaper than Alamo Brits so I'm going to use them. Thanks for the suggestion. I would never have thought of checking BA.

€20 will buy some nice ice cream out there, enjoy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Just wanted to say thanks to the OP and all contributors on here...

Back a few years ago, we priced with a well known Dublin company a trip for the family to go to Orlando for 2 weeks around August time of that year, they quoted us 9.5K! (We dont have anything like that money to spend nevermind save it.)

Im going to use the info i have gathered here to plan for next year as we haven't had a holiday outside Ireland since lego land UK about 9 years ago!

Thanks all, no doubt i will be plaguing ye with questions soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement