Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-M28 thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gerogerigegege

Middle Man wrote: »
    Oh yeah - "I don't care where you put it but I don't want it here!" - heard it all before across the country during the 1980's and 1990's!

...it kind of sounds like a broken record at this stage!

In short...

Not
    In
    My
    Back
    Yard

That's correct. I don't want a motorway a few metres from my home:)
    Would you?

And that's why when the scheme goes to planning, your complaints will be thrown out without a second thought.

That's nothing for you to worry about:) thank u for your concern

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Middle Man

That's correct. I don't want a motorway a few metres from my home:)
    Would you?

Well, have you a proper alternative?

After all, the road is needed!

L1011 wrote: »
    So you're opposed for selfish reasons and have no alternative. Fantastic position. Have you considered joining the PBP-AAA?

Maybe the greens. They're against environmental destruction.
    Would u like to live a few metres from a motorway:)

Well, have you a proper alternative?

After all, the road is needed!

Read my previous posts.
    Would you like to bring your family up next to a motorway? You forgot to answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Pablo Escobar

what are you gonna do about it? people don't want the area they live in destroyed. There was 100's down yesterday in the Rochestown PH...the room was too small to handle the numbers wanting to see what's going on you'll have to accept that this will be resisted by 1000s.
    progress is building hospitals, schools and homes, which we need as a matter of urgency. This is what should be their primary concern.
    btw. theres no 'free eu money'..

and again. this NIMBY thing. that's not an insult if it's supposed to be. It's very childish and shows how badly rattled you and the 'moderator' on here are resorting to name calling.
    I don't believe for a second that's there's thousands of irrational people in the Mount Oval area. There's always a few, but those numbers you're throwing out are off the chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I lived about 100m from the M6 in England for most of my childhood. Never did me any harm. Currently live 350m from the N11/M11 in Bray, as do several other families with children of all ages.

Maybe the greens. They're against environmental destruction.
    Would u like to live a few metres from a motorway:)

The Greens...

Don't kid yourself - they go on about silly ideologies like getting everyone cycling which per se is really a smokescreen to non action regarding the environment - they'd rather blame motorists for everything. What about built in obsolescence, consumerism, religious fashion (like being a slave to fashion or wanting the newest phone or tablet etc), harmful agricultural practices that's wiping out ecosystems (hedgerow removal and chemical spraying), plastic pollution, urban sprawl etc. Even with reduced industrial output as a result of proper environmental action, I reckon there will still be a need for a proper road to Ringaskiddy as well as the various settlements along the way.

Read my previous posts.
    Would you like to bring your family up next to a motorway? You forgot to answer.

Consider moving house!

Consider moving house!

1......So you wouldn't like to live right next to a motorway or would you?
    3rd time asking you and you have avoided an answer & I've asked others too with no reply.
    :)
    Also
    .2. Have any of you visited the area and heard the current sound levels?
    I won't be engaging with anyone until I get adequate responses to these two questions.
    Thanks guys.

• Advertisement

1......So you wouldn't like to live right next to a motorway or would you?
    3rd time asking you and you have avoided an answer & I've asked others too with no reply.
    :)
    Also
    .2. Have any of you visited the area and heard the current sound levels?
    I won't be engaging with anyone until I get adequate responses to these two questions.
    Thanks guys.

Well that would depend on factors like sound insulation and tyre/surface friction - with proper double glazed windows and the use of modern quite surfacing on the motorway, conditions could be within reason for me. Also, I believe that there'll be a low speed limit imposed on the final section of the M28 before the Bloomfield Interchange. However, there's already a large road there, so what real difference will it make?

Well that would depend on factors like sound insulation and tyre/surface friction - with proper double glazed windows and the use of modern quite surfacing on the motorway, conditions could be within reason for me. Also, I believe that there'll be a low speed limit imposed on the final section of the M28 before the Bloomfield Interchange. However, there's already a large road there, so what real difference will it make?

As it stands now, I assume you've been and heard the noise, would you like to live next to this motorway. Your kids playing in the garden looking out at articulated lorries truing to sleep at night. No new sound barriers are bring installed.

Open to all

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

As it stands now, I assume you've been and heard the noise, would you like to live next to this motorway. Your kids playing in the garden looking out at articulated lorries truing to sleep at night. No new sound barriers are bring installed.

Open to all
    As I've already said above, I lived about 100m from the M6 in England growing up. None of us ever had any problem sleeping at night, despite having only single glazed windows. When you live somewhere with a constant background noise, you very quickly get used to it, and strangely even miss it when it's not there. I remember going on holiday to rural Wales and not being able to sleep as it was too quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

Open to all

You are banging on about people not answering you when you yourself have provided any answers!
    The facts are:
    The road is going to get busier whether you like it or not. Surely you can see that an upgrade, with sound barriers and a quieter surface, would be a massive improvement!!

Alun wrote: »
    As I've already said above, I lived about 100m from the M6 in England growing up. None of us ever had any problem sleeping at night, despite having only single glazed windows. When you live somewhere with a constant background noise, you very quickly get used to it, and strangely even miss it when it's not there. I remember going on holiday to rural Wales and not being able to sleep as it was too quiet.

So you would like to bring up your kids next to this motorway without ever visiting the area or hearing the current noise levels.
    Each to their own.
    I'm retiring for the night.
    Toodles

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

So you would like to bring up your kids next to this motorway without ever visiting the area or hearing the current noise levels.
    Each to their own.
    I'm retiring for the night.
    Toodles

The N28 is not in any way different to other similar roads; so sitting in your house is no different to any other house the same distance from a similar road.

Your posting style is actually such that it'd cause people to be entirely opposed to your campaign. I don't think that's what you intend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Open to all

My cousin lives right beside the N20 (which, as we know, is a very busy road and totally inadequate for the volume of traffic using it) and amazingly, despite all the noise and blatant lack of sound barriers, they manage just fine. Yes, it's a bit loud outside, but one cannot hear a thing inside the house. So, I totally don't buy this. This is a nonsense excuse. And how often does one be outside in Ireland anyway, we're not exactly a country noted for good weather.

Also, as the others have noted, you have spectacularly failed to come up with an alternative to a road which must be built if Cork is to progress as a city and become the credible alternative to Dublin which it most certainly deserves to be with its 400,000 people living within 15 km of the city centre.

I had to laugh at your suggestion about buses; as others noted the Carrigaline route has had an increase in buses serving the town this year, and it's due to get another improvement next year (it should be running every 20 minutes from next year as part of the increase in public transport funding in Budget 2017), but all the buses in the world between Carrigaline and Cork are not going to change the fact that there is going to be far more trucks and other goods vehicles travelling down that road once the port is relocated. We're also talking about a massive increase towards Ringaskiddy not Carrigaline in any event. Also, the bus service cannot achieve its potential and get cars off the road if it's so unreliable because of a totally inadequate road, which is what we have at present and you seem determined to keep.

Lastly, regarding your earlier objection to my description of you as a NIMBY, it is nothing more than a statement of fact, your own posts explain it better than I ever possibly could. As the other posters have said, you have identified what you (incorrectly) see as problems with the proposed M28 routing, therefore it is your responsibility to figure out what you want done instead, and how we are going to enable road traffic to quickly, reliably and safely travel between Cork, Carrigaline/Crosshaven and Ringaskiddy/Haulbowline. If the routing designed by the experts is so inadequate in your view then you will have no trouble in showing them where they have gone wrong and how to fix it.

My cousin lives right beside the N20 (which, as we know, is a very busy road and totally inadequate for the volume of traffic using it) and amazingly, despite all the noise and blatant lack of sound barriers, they manage just fine. Yes, it's a bit loud outside, but one cannot hear a thing inside the house. So, I totally don't buy this. This is a nonsense excuse. And how often does one be outside in Ireland anyway, we're not exactly a country noted for good weather.

Also, as the others have noted, you have spectacularly failed to come up with an alternative to a road which must be built if Cork is to progress as a city and become the credible alternative to Dublin which it most certainly deserves to be with its 400,000 people living within 15 km of the city centre.

I had to laugh at your suggestion about buses; as others noted the Carrigaline route has had an increase in buses serving the town this year, and it's due to get another improvement next year (it should be running every 20 minutes from next year as part of the increase in public transport funding in Budget 2017), but all the buses in the world between Carrigaline and Cork are not going to change the fact that there is going to be far more trucks and other goods vehicles travelling down that road once the port is relocated. We're also talking about a massive increase towards Ringaskiddy not Carrigaline in any event. Also, the bus service cannot achieve its potential and get cars off the road if it's so unreliable because of a totally inadequate road, which is what we have at present and you seem determined to keep.

Lastly, regarding your earlier objection to my description of you as a NIMBY, it is nothing more than a statement of fact, your own posts explain it better than I ever possibly could. As the other posters have said, you have identified what you (incorrectly) see as problems with the proposed M28 routing, therefore it is your responsibility to figure out what you want done instead, and how we are going to enable road traffic to quickly, reliably and safely travel between Cork, Carrigaline/Crosshaven and Ringaskiddy/Haulbowline. If the routing designed by the experts is so inadequate in your view then you will have no trouble in showing them where they have gone wrong and how to fix it.
    You'd live a few metres from a motorway Yeh?
    There's many posters avoided this question.
    Also its Ireland peoeople are indoors most of the time is the silliest comment I've heard.
    Come to a meeting and hear the recordings of the awful noise people have to put up with.

Knocking the mulcon valley will make this worse and I object without question to it being destroyed for any reason.
    I've a busy day ahead. Hopefully all the living next to motorway lovers will come out of the closet by the time I've returned
    Thanks guys

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Also its Ireland peoeople are indoors most of the time is the silliest comment I've heard.
    Come to a meeting and hear the recordings of the awful noise people have to put up with.

Knocking the mulcon valley will make this worse and I object without question to it being destroyed for any reason.
    I've a busy day ahead. Hopefully all the living next to motorway lovers will come out of the closet by the time I've returned
    Thanks guys

People have told you how close the live or have lived. You've tried to wave away the comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Wow, this thread is an eye-opener.

The more I read, the more certain I become that any resistance to this road is irrational. By virtue of there being no viable alternative.

I lived in Ballycummin <200m from the M20. The place had singe glazed windows. Traffic noise used to start properly at about 0630 and it would sound something like a washing machine in the house once it got going properly. I had lived in a very rural area previously but took very little time to get used to it, and certainly didn't mind it.

I also lived next to Vernonmount, and honestly I'd choose the M20 all day long.

• Advertisement

Thanks guys

How about you drop the "thanks guys" attitude, its winning you no friends here.

Also, you say you don't want to live beside a motorway, but it's your back garden that is going to be beside it! It won't interfere with your daily life anymore than the existing road, less in fact!

What about the people further up that road at the very narrow section? Some of them have their driveways opening onto a road which has 23,000 vehicles per day. What about the torture they have endured for the past 20 years??
    Do you not think that they deserve this motorway to be built?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭cc

Read my previous posts.

Maybe city living isn't the answer if you don't want to live next to busy roads? Don't forget most of Rochestown lives practically on top of one of the country's busiest roads with nearly 100k cars on it each day. The house prices still seem to be on the increase mind you..

• Registered Users Posts: 28,734 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

The problem here is that G.. thinks that this traffic will appear when the M28 is built, as opposed to the reality that it's going to appear REGARDLESS and that the current road isn't fit for what currently uses it, nevermind this extra volume.

As I regularly am, I was on this road only last night myself and the bend above (as posted by Marno) is incredibly dangerous thanks to too narrow a road, people coming around that corner at speed and with full beams on, and poor surface conditions. Then you have peak times when you round that bend from the other direction and face a wall of stopped traffic. The rest of it towards Carrigaline is no better with extremely poor surfacing.

Port or not, upgrading this road is long overdue and needs to go ahead ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

I'd like an explanation how it will "destroy" Douglas, Rochestown and Grange.

To the contrary, that and the propose bridge from the Carrigaline Road to Grange will hugely alleviate traffic in those areas. The new 4/4 Carr's Hill interchange alone will improve things dramatically.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    How about you drop the "thanks guys" attitude, its winning you no friends here.

Also, you say you don't want to live beside a motorway, but it's your back garden that is going to be beside it! It won't interfere with your daily life anymore than the existing road, less in fact!

What about the people further up that road at the very narrow section? Some of them have their driveways opening onto a road which has 23,000 vehicles per day. What about the torture they have endured for the past 20 years??
    Do you not think that they deserve this motorway to be built?
    Hi Kev,
    I'm not looking for friends on here, but thanks a million for your advice.
    I already have a road behind my home. I don't want it extended.
    I think I've explained that before if you take the time to read my posts.
    my property is my main concern and the wooded area next to me.
    if you don't like that or feel that's NIMBYism, I really couldn't care less.
    I've said all I need to say at the moment here.
    all the best

Hi Kev,
    all the best

You didn't answer my question.
    Do you think the people further up the road who's properties actually front the road deserve this motorway?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hi Kev,
    all the best
    So you're saying the M28 as it will be is already built behind your home and you don't want the part near you built?

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭pat ticket

Hi Kev,
    all the best

Hopefully you're PRO or have another prominent position on the 'steering' ctte.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

pat ticket wrote: »
    Hopefully you're PRO or have another prominent position on the 'steering' ctte.

Indeed, if the rest of the so-called 'steering group' are just as bad at PR as he (or she or they) is/are they will be as useful at attracting people into their cause as Paddy Manning was at convincing people to vote no in the marriage equality referendum last year - which of course would mean making more and more people go against what they want and progress can be made for the rest of us :).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

From what I hear on the ground, the people behind the anti-M28 group are a bunch of jumped up busy bodies, most of them OAP's with too much time on their hands, who are trying to bully others to supporting their cause. There has been reports of intimidation and under handed tactics in trying to stop this route from going ahead. They seem to have borrowed a lot from those loonies in the AAA/PBP.

Of course, they will deny this. But this upgrade will serve the area very well when it goes ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement