Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Monday, Jan 15th
    Total: 6.85km (49:56)
    Avg Pace: 7:17 min/km (Easy pace)
    Splits: 6:50, 7:03, 7:31, 7:06, 7:22, 7:34, 7:37 (.85)
    Avg HR: 157 bpm
    Comments: Wind & hailstones, impossible to run even splits, the wind was carrying me along at some stages and at others it was a battle between me & it. Still enjoyed this - especially the shower & cuppa afterwards!!

Tuesday, Jan 16th
    AM
    S&C: Short session: 3 * squats, clams, split squats, plank
    PM
    Running plans had to be abandoned due to snow and high winds.

Wed, Jan 17th
    AM
    S&C: Gym 1 hr: upper body, core, legs.
    PM
    Comments: had to abandon plans again due to the storm.

Thurs, Jan 18th
    Total: 9.1km (1:02:25)
    Avg Pace: 6:52 min/km
    Splits: 6:56, 6:47, 6:54, 6:44, 6:50, 6:49, 6:52, 6:47, 7:05, 6:38 (.1)
    Avg HR: 134 bpm
    Comments: lovely run until the hailstones in the last km, finished in a snow flurry! Will this Winter ever end! Followed up with 2 circuits of physio rehab exercises

Friday, Jan 19th
    Total: 8.84 km (58:32)
    Avg Pace: 6:37 min/km
    Splits: 6:30, 6:27, 6:26, 6:38, 6:32, 6:53, 6:52, 6:39, 6:42 (.84)
    Avg HR: 157 bpm
    Comments: Can’t remember much about this run.

Saturday, Jan 20th
    Lots of physio rehab exercises

Sunday, Jan 21st
    8km road race
    Total: 8.03km (Official time: 40:26)
    Avg Pace:5:01 min/km
    Splits: 4:42, 5:06, 4:59, 5:00, 5:00, 5:12, 5:11, 5:02
    Avg HR: 163 bpm
    Comments: This is my 4th year running this race and once again i was fairly confident of a PB, sub-41 being the goal. The first km is a fast one, downhill, i went off too fast of course :rolleyes: I paid for it in the 2nd km as i found this tough but i settled down then and rattled out decent splits in km 3-5, I was delighted to cross 5km well under 25 mins. At this stage it crossed my mind that maybe sub-40 was on?? However the last 3 km were all into a fairly blustery cross/head wind and at this stage i think i was paying the price for that fast first km. I mentally lost the edge a bit here once i knew i wasn’t going to hold the pace for sub-40 i kind of gave up a little as i was confident sub-41 was in the bag whatever happened. I possibly could have knocked 4-5 seconds off my time and I’m annoyed that i gave up but still delighted with a 1m 43s PB on a tough day especially as it wasn’t a target race. It’s my first race since July (aside from DCM) and i enjoyed the buzz afterwards i must say, oh and the cakes too :P

2018|2017|2016|2015
    40:26|42:09|45:54|50:04

Comments: 32.8km/20m. Not a bad week. 3 runs and a race.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Well done on the pb. Great running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

That's a brilliant time, well done on the PB!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Whoop! Congrats on the PB :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Great to see those improvements year on year!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

ariana` wrote: »
    i gave up but still delighted with a 1m 43s PB on a tough day especially as it wasn’t a target race. It’s my first race since July (aside from DCM) and i enjoyed the buzz afterwards i must say, oh and the cakes too :P

2018|2017|2016|2015
    40:26|42:09|45:54|50:04

Comments: 32.8km/20m. Not a bad week. 3 runs and a race.

Something of an understatement :)

Congrats on the PB! Plenty more to come I'm sure.

Well done on the pb. Great running.
    That's a brilliant time, well done on the PB!!
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Whoop! Congrats on the PB :)

Thanks y'all :)
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Great to see those improvements year on year!

Yeah, it sure is! I was a few months pregnant in 2015 doing it and there was black ice about the place so that was a conservative run but otherwise i've given my all every year so the improvements were a true reflection.
    Something of an understatement :)

Congrats on the PB! Plenty more to come I'm sure.

Thank you. I hope so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats on the PB! Nice chunk to take off the old time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Fantastic!! Well done you ;) That's a great time, and a lovely new PB!
    I've never (yet) repeated the same race but it's a very satisfying way to see your progress.

eyrie wrote: »
    Fantastic!! Well done you ;) That's a great time, and a lovely new PB!
    I've never (yet) repeated the same race but it's a very satisfying way to see your progress.

Thanks eyrie. Yes i love repeating races, it really helps with pacing to analyse previous efforts in advance. Though it didn't stop me going out too fast as usual :pac:

How are you fixed for Raheny?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Well done Ariana what a great week and congrats again on the PB fantastic running I hope I do as well on Sunday :)

How are you fixed for Raheny?

Well.... I intend to show up and run, but what happens beyond that is anyone's guess! I'm kind of dreading it to be honest, the training has been much too brief and any kind of speed stuff I've attempted has been very painful! So I'm not aiming for anything particularly quick but sure it's just the start of the year, I'll use it to build on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Fantastic improvement over the short few years. You should be deservedly chuffed. Plenty more to come, it'll be sub 40 the next time you run one. Last minute Raheny entry? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Super work, glad to see you getting the rewards, but enjoying it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Great PB Ariana and brilliant progress over the last couple of years!

Big year coming up I think.

Monday, Jan 22nd
    Total: 5.0 km Recovery (42:02)
    Avg Pace: 8:23 min/km
    Splits: 8:07, 8:35, 8:23, 7:56, 8:56
    Avg HR: 147 bpm
    Comments: Did this with a friend, it was her first run back after a break of 10 months so it suited me as a recovery run after the race yesterday. We walked 2-300m 3 times to break it up for her.

Tuesday, Jan 23th
    Total: 9.09 km (1:01:44)
    Avg Pace: 6:48 min/km
    Splits: 6:34, 6:46, 6:51, 6:43, 7:02, 6:44, 6:47, 6:40, 7:03
    Avg HR: 144 bpm
    Comments: A nice easy run with good company, the kms flew by. I just love these 60 min easy runs now :)

Wed, Jan 24th
    60 min with 8 x 1 min @ 5-10km pace off 1 min rec
    Total: 9.77km (59:44)
    Avg Pace: 6:07 min/km
    Interval Splits: 4:37, 4:33, 4:40, 4:32, 4:45, 4:45, 4:42, 4:48
    Avg HR: 155 bpm
    Comments: Aim for the intervals was 4:55-5:15 min/km pace so they were all too fast despite efforts to slow them down. The first was into the wind/rain, 2-6 the wind was behind me, and the last 2 were into the wind/rain again (not that it seemed to make a huge difference to the splits). Soaked to the skin after this :cool:

Thurs, Jan 25th
    Rest day - had planned a 60 min easy/steady but it meant going out on my own on country roads on a windy night and OH convinced me it wasn't safe, i wasn't hard to convince to be honest :p

Friday, Jan 26th
    Total: 8.14 km (46:11)
    Avg Pace: 5:40 min/km (HM pace)
    Splits: 5:47, 5:46, 5:40, 5:31, 5:38, 5:41, 5:41, 5:38
    Avg HR: 162 bpm
    Comments: 5 x 1 m laps for this run in the rain. HM pace, enjoyable but tough, hard to imagine running this pace for 2hrs. 2nd time this week getting soaked to my knickers, will this Winter ever end :rolleyes:

Saturday, Jan 27th
    Nothing

Sunday, Jan 28th
    Nothing

Comments: 32km/20m. I knew the weekend was going to impossible to get out and i was proved correct, disappointed to miss my LSR but i plan to do a medium-long early in the week next and a proper LSR at the weekend then. 5 week to HM.

You still did 20 miles though which is a good distance and you’ll make up for missing the LSR.

Seems like quite a good week to me.

Are you still doing your S&C?

You still did 20 miles though which is a good distance and you’ll make up for missing the LSR.

Seems like quite a good week to me.

Are you still doing your S&C?

Ooops realised i forgot to log it this week. I didn't get a full gym session in (my bad :rolleyes:) but the week before last the Physio gave me a routine which I've been doing most days, it takes about 25-30 minutes.

Thanks KG. I have 1hr 20min this evening while young lad is at scouts so i'll do a med-long and then a proper long (1 hr 50 min) next weekend. I have 4 more weekends before HM. I don't think i'll get near the distance in training but I hope to get to close to 2 hr even if it only covers 11 miles.

You are great for doing the routine daily. I haven’t been. I did some foam rolling last night as my lower calf felt a little tight the other day but one of the reasons I haven’t started up my S&C work again is knowing i’ll be in pain and afraid that will affect my running. I know that’s ridiculous as it would only be short term pain with a good long term outcome but it keeps putting me off.

You are great for doing the routine daily. I haven’t been. I did some foam rolling last night as my lower calf felt a little tight the other day but one of the reasons I haven’t started up my S&C work again is knowing i’ll be in pain and afraid that will affect my running. I know that’s ridiculous as it would only be short term pain with a good long term outcome but it keeps putting me off.

I don't do it every day either, most days probably = 4 days a week :cool: And i don't do it all every time if i only have 15 mins i pick & choose. I could definitely be doing more. You're doing high mileage again now and it's hard to do it all with balancing kids, work and stuff too. Gosh sometimes you just need to chill too, watch tv, read a book, catch up on Whats app ;)

• Advertisement

Comments: Aim for the intervals was 4:55-5:15 min/km pace so they were all too fast despite efforts to slow them down. The first was into the wind/rain, 2-6 the wind was behind me, and the last 2 were into the wind/rain again (not that it seemed to make a huge difference to the splits). Soaked to the skin after this :cool:

I always find it hard to regulate my pace when it's windy. Maybe it's something that comes with practice?

I come here with an ulterior motive: you mentioned a running belt with water bottles that you'd bought on Amazon on the Novices' thread and I can't/am too lazy to find the link. I'm thinking of investing in one shortly and would love a recommendation...

I always find it hard to regulate my pace when it's windy. Maybe it's something that comes with practice?

I come here with an ulterior motive: you mentioned a running belt with water bottles that you'd bought on Amazon on the Novices' thread and I can't/am too lazy to find the link. I'm thinking of investing in one shortly and would love a recommendation...

I'm hoping a lot of things will come with practice :cool:

I got this one and it did the job perfectly fine for training for DCM, on long runs i was able to carry the 2 little water bottles, a couple of gels, my phone, a car key, a tissue.

For DCM itself i ended up buying a new belt (more like a flip belt). I hadn't worn it in advance which is not recommended but it was really comfortable though i did panic briefly in the first km or 2 that it was too big as it was slipping down, i thought it was going to annoy me but it settled on my hips then and it was perfect. I wasn't carrying water or phone though, just gels.

Hey Huzzah, I can’t remember what one Ariana got but I have numerous belts and the best by far is the flip belt with the curved water bottles that slides into it. I haven’t used one other belt since I got it.

Monday, Jan 29th
    Total: 11.77 km (1:18:17)
    Avg Pace: 6:39 min/km
    Splits: 6:41, 6:39, 6:38, 6:47, 6:45, 6:57, 6:30, 6:25, 6:36, 6:29, 6:38, 6:44 (.77)
    Avg HR: 156 bpm
    Comments: Can’t remember much about this one.

Tuesday, Jan 30th
    Total: 10 km (1:02:17)
    Avg Pace: 6:11 min/km
    Splits: 6:11, 6:07, 6:01, 6:00, 6:16, 6:19, 6:12, 6:09, 6:17
    Avg HR: 162 bpm
    Comments: Enjoyed this, good company, a small bit faster than i’d have gone on my own but i think that’s ok some days!

Wed, Jan 31st
    S&C work

Thurs, Feb 1st
    Total: 12.31km (1:21:04)
    Avg Pace: 6:35 min/km
    Splits: 6:35, 6:43, 6:35, 6:28, 6:35, 6:46, 6:38, 6:58, 6:31, 6:27, 6:18, 6:27, 6:39 (.3)
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: Another enjoyable one with company. And a dry night for a change.

Friday, Feb 2nd
    S&C work

Saturday, Feb 3rd
    REST

Sunday, Feb 4th
    Total: 16.21km (1:47:02)
    Avg Pace: 6:36 min/km
    Splits: 7:09, 7:34, 7:10, 6:43, 6:46, 6:24, 6:21, 6:26, 6:23, 6:32, 6:07, 6:13, 6:34, 6:20, 6:21, 6:31, 6:50 (.21)
    Avg HR: 151 bpm
    Comments: Roads were deadly, i was heading back to the car after 2 km but at the last minute took a notion to check out the main road, it was reasonable so did an out & back on the main road - not a particularly enjoyable run but glad to get it done.

Comments: 50.3 km/ 31m. Nothing really major to report. A bit of an increase in mileage this week. The week ended up being all easy running but with the jump in mileage i think that was justified. I’m trying to be sensible :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I’m trying to be sensible :cool:

No better woman! :D

Well done, that's a good solid weeks work. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Nicely done Ariana :)

Great mileage done there Ariana.

Oooooops, reading your log has reminded me that I haven't done any strength training for a couple of weeks :o

Very solid week there, and nice mileage!

eyrie wrote: »
    Oooooops, reading your log has reminded me that I haven't done any strength training for a couple of weeks :o

And that I need to start mine :o

• Advertisement

And that I need to start mine :o

Thursday I think I’ll start mine - talking about it long enough :cool:

Advertisement