Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Massive congrats to you Ariana!!!! Delighted to see your result :) well done marathon runner!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Delighted for you.....so....What's next?!?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,946 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Hey Ariana, been following your story. Delighted it worked out for you. Congratulations on everything you've put into today and the rewards you reaped from it. Rest well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Hey Ariana. Really happy for you , had you on my tracker and was delighted to see you made it. How did the injury hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Brilliant to see the good news on Novices! Well done and hope the knee is feeling ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

A big congratulations Ariana. Well done, you must be absolutely thrilled.

Hope your recovery is going well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Good woman yourself!! Delighted the saga had a good ending :) Although I shouldn't say ending, should I? Congrats on a smashing "first" marathon ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Holy heck, Ariana'! You did it! You're a marathon runner! Huge congratulations :)
    Congrats Ariana! Sorry I missed you afterwards.

I was very sorry to miss and also sorry to hear that your own day didn't go as you had hoped. I feel i stole some other runners' share of the luck out there as i definitely got more than my share :o
    Massive congrats to you Ariana!!!! Delighted to see your result :) well done marathon runner!!!
    Delighted for you.....so....What's next?!?

Definitely lots of s&c anyhow! I don't ever want to be in sick-bay 3 weeks before a marathon again :rolleyes:
    Hey Ariana, been following your story. Delighted it worked out for you. Congratulations on everything you've put into today and the rewards you reaped from it. Rest well.
    The Muppet wrote: »
    Hey Ariana. Really happy for you , had you on my tracker and was delighted to see you made it. How did the injury hold up?

I took 2 nurofen somewhere around 13km i think and when i finished i was limping but i hadn't noticed it much while running thank god :)
    Brilliant to see the good news on Novices! Well done and hope the knee is feeling ok.
    gypsylee wrote: »
    A big congratulations Ariana. Well done, you must be absolutely thrilled.

Hope your recovery is going well.
    eyrie wrote: »
    Good woman yourself!! Delighted the saga had a good ending :) Although I shouldn't say ending, should I? Congrats on a smashing "first" marathon ;)

Wow lads/ladies thank you all so very very much from the bottom of my heart. I'm chuffed to bits with all the well wishes i've gotten from my fellow boardsies over the past number of weeks, it means the world :) I'm sorry it's taken me a few days to acknowledge it :o

Monday, Oct 23rd
    Total: Glute activation exercises, stretching & foam rolling

Tuesday, Oct 24th
    Total: Physio and glute activation exercises, stretching & foam rolling
    Comments: Well it’s still 50/50, 6-7 mile run tomorrow will be the decider. Worked on hams & ITB mostly, didn’t feel as painful as last week which is a positive i presume. Weak muscles causing poor mechanics. The big lesson in all of this is that i definitely have to commit to S&C going forward. Glute work is already paying off, i’ve gone from doing 2 sets of 8 clams on each side to doing 3 sets of 15 on each side to feel the same burn. Need to add more core work to the routine which currently consists of bridges, clams, donkey kicks and crab walk with resistance band.

Wednesday, Oct 25th
    Total: 11.02km (1:15:31)
    Avg Pace: 6:51 min/km
    Splits: 6:25, 6:34, 6:43, 6:28, 6:47, 6:57, 7:04, 7:00, 7:01, 7:09, 7:09,
    Avg HR: 166 bpm (worryingly high!)
    Comments: Knee was ok. ITB on the good side flared up a bit :eek:.High HR too whatever that is about as i was chatting away to a friend for 5km running at paces I've never run at before >7min/km :confused: Feeling very blah after this run :rolleyes:

Glute activation & stretching in the morning and again in the evening after the run with foam rolling in the evening.

Thursday, Oct. 26th
    Total: Glute activation & gentle foam rolling.

Friday, October 27th
    Total: Physio
    Comments: Peroneals - all good. ITB right - bit tender but ok. ITB left - quite tight. Taped up the right knee, right hamstring and left ITB and gave me the the nod to give it a lash with a conservative approach to pacing. 50/50 odds of finishing, it’ll have to do, it's better than not starting. Starting to feel the first glimmer of excitement :)

Saturday, Oct 28th
    Total: Nothing

Sunday, Oct 29th
    Dublin Marathon 42.46km (Watch: 4:36:58, Chip 4:37:06)
    Avg. Pace: 6:31 min/km (watch), 10:35 min/mile (official)
    Splits:
    10km: 1:08:10 (10:59 min/mile)
    Half: 2:21:56 (10:42 min/mile)
    30 km: 3:19:10 (10:21 min/mile)
    Finish: 4:37:06 (10:18 min/mile)
    2:21:56/2:15:10 (-6:46 negative split!)
    Avg. HR: 169 bpm
    Comments: Race report in a separate post.

Comments: 53.5km/33 miles. I ran a marathon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

Still delighted for you Ariana such a great feeling still I hope the knee gets better quickly :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

Great stuff Ariana, delighted you got to start line and experience it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'm so delighted for you - I was really hoping that you'd nail it and you did.
    Blowing past the pacers and then recording your fastest 2 k as your last 2k is amazing.

Keep a record of your race report in this log (your own log), so you can look back on it fondly - even print it out and keep it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105130499&postcount=5587

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great report and a great debut, ariana’. You certainly nailed it, and possibly sold yourself a little short with the target, as your big negative split suggests. Must have felt great to finish like that, bottle that feeling for the next one. Very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

What a great report and I'm so delighted you had a great experience for your first marathon.
    I was thinking about you and was hoping it went well for you, little did i know how close you were before you turned into Sonia(such a great feeling to be able to do that) ... .(our deep conversation was us trying to work out our pace and what we had left to do, as lots of the mile markers were off and we had to come in 30 sec under 4.40!!)
    Congratulation marathon runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Lovely report and delighted for you that it went so well on the day. Counting your fellow runners who you went past as your "Body Count" seems a little cruel but probably quite enjoyable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭hot buttered scones

I really enjoyed your report. What a great way to finish any marathon, never mind your first! A big congratulations on your achievement.

Singer wrote: »
    Lovely report and delighted for you that it went so well on the day. Counting your fellow runners who you went past as your "Body Count" seems a little cruel but probably quite enjoyable :)
    Aw I genuinely didn't mean it as it sounded. I've been humbled by this whole experience and feel very blessed to have had a good day out on my 1st outting. I do realise that that isn't always the case and never more so than this yr when so many very experienced, more accomplished, and better trained runners on these very boards weren't blessed by the same gods as I was last Sunday. Next time that could be me (did i just say next time :eek:).

Oh and I didn't actually physically count them that was taken from the results. I would have felt mean counting people like that, if anything I'd try to encourage anyone who was struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

Delighted for you Ariana, after your difficult build up... hope you are recovering well. Loved your exuberance and happiness in the race report :D

...and I have no doubt there will be a next time for you!!

ariana` wrote:
    Definitely lots of s&c anyhow! I don't ever want to be in sick-bay 3 weeks before a marathon again

Sounds like you're possibly moving towards the shorter speed stuff for now too?

I really enjoyed your report. What a great way to finish any marathon, never mind your first! A big congratulations on your achievement.

:)
    annapr wrote: »
    Delighted for you Ariana, after your difficult build up... hope you are recovering well. Loved your exuberance and happiness in the race report :D

...and I have no doubt there will be a next time for you!!

A part of me thinks that it went so well that while i may beat the time, i'll never beat the experience of it which to me was the most important part. So maybe i should quit while i'm ahead.... but i don't think i will :pac:
    I'm so delighted for you - I was really hoping that you'd nail it and you did.
    Blowing past the pacers and then recording your fastest 2 k as your last 2k is amazing.

Keep a record of your race report in this log (your own log), so you can look back on it fondly - even print it out and keep it.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=105130499&postcount=5587

I will do thanks AMK. And for all the advice and encouragement along the way, you and a few others were what made it happen for so many of us this year. I'm just very sorry that somehow along the way we seem to have cursed quite a few of our mentors/advisors :o
    Murph_D wrote: »
    Great report and a great debut, ariana’. You certainly nailed it, and possibly sold yourself a little short with the target, as your big negative split suggests. Must have felt great to finish like that, bottle that feeling for the next one. Very well done.

The Physio advised adding 10-15 mins to my target to get me around, i had been thinking 4:20 or 4:25 so yes, i do think the target was soft, but i also wonder if things may have been different different if i hadn't had the knee issue and had of gone for 4:20. I'm not convinced i could have done it on the day, it may have ended up in me blowing up. In hindsight i think maybe 4:30.... but i'm still pleased with my time, it's a pb :)
    Younganne wrote: »
    What a great report and I'm so delighted you had a great experience for your first marathon.
    I was thinking about you and was hoping it went well for you, little did i know how close you were before you turned into Sonia(such a great feeling to be able to do that) ... .(our deep conversation was us trying to work out our pace and what we had left to do, as lots of the mile markers were off and we had to come in 30 sec under 4.40!!)
    Congratulation marathon runner.

:)
    Sounds like you're possibly moving towards the shorter speed stuff for now too?
    I'm very undecided. I'd like to keep the mileage up whatever distance i target, i have the Pfizinger Faster Road Racing book with plans in it so i started reading bits of that at the weekend.

• Advertisement

ariana` wrote:
    I'm very undecided. I'd like to keep the mileage up whatever distance i target, i have the Pfizinger Faster Road Racing book with plans in it so i started reading bits of that at the weekend.

Don't be afraid to train for the shorter stuff with high mileage. Just coz you move to 5k or 10k training doesn't mean you have to drop your weekly mileage completely.

P.S I'm biased towards 5k and 10k running/training so keep that in mind ;)

P.S I'm biased towards 5k and 10k running/training so keep that in mind ;)

I've never trained for either so i am tempted :p

For now i've just made an appointment for a full assessment in an s&c specific gym, i'm taking the bull by the horns :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Ah I just got around to reading your race report for DCM - that was a great read and a fantastic run! Well done!!!

ariana` wrote:
    For now i've just made an appointment for a full assessment in an s&c specific gym, i'm taking the bull by the horns

Feel free to pm if you have any specific questions on the 5k/10k stuff. I got great support on here so more than happy to repay the karma

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭denis b

What a well managed "first time round the DCM block" that was Ariana. Loved the report and your satisfaction shines through in what was a superbly executed game plan. I think you will really enjoy unleashing yourself on the shorter stuff. Have fun.

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Ah I just got around to reading your race report for DCM - that was a great read and a fantastic run! Well done!!!

Thank you :)
    Feel free to pm if you have any specific questions on the 5k/10k stuff. I got great support on here so more than happy to repay the karma

Thanks. Realistically i'd say it will be January before i launch into anything :)

ariana` wrote: »
    Thank you :)

Thanks. Realistically i'd say it will be January before i launch into anything :)

No better time. Need to enjoy the Christmas after such a long slog for DCM.

Copying and pasting my DCM report in here from the Novices thread to keep it for prosperity :p

Well here goes...

Pre-Race
    I woke at 5am after a restless night. Lay on for an hour and got up around 6o'c. Quick shower, porridge, a pint glass of water with a High-5 Salt tablet, a few chats with my sister in law and the kids and off i went. I was picked up at 7.30 by Sheep/Darren. His good wife dropped us in town and we made our way, meeting up with Lazare en route, to the Shelbourne where it was great to meet a few more boardsie novices! Myself & Kellygirl made our way to Wave 4 together, queuing for the portaloos and keeping each other company. Around 9am as Wave 1 got going we parted company as she headed for the 4:30 pace group and i hung around for the 4:40 group. At 9:20 i started my watch to get GPS, no issues where. I also took 4 GU Chews at this point, it was a long time since the porridge at 6.30 am! I lined up about 3 rows back from the white 4:40 balloons and before i knew it we were off!

KM 1-10 (7:32, 6:56, 6:42, 6:47, 6:50, 6:32, 6:34, 6:40, 6:29, 6:34)
    The plan was to stay behind the 4:40 pace group however with the congestion at the start i struggled to run at all and I was also concentrating on trying to stay relaxed and not waste energy weaving around people, as advised. By the time we hit 3km the 4:40 pacers were gone from sight and the 4:50 pacers had actually passed me, yikes, moment of panic here. I skipped the 1st water station and over the next km i pulled ahead of the 4:50 pacers again and settled into pacing myself letting the average pace settled to 6:40min/km which i knew would bring me in around 4:45 and i was happy with this (for now). My OH was at the 5 mile marker so this was the high point, i was so excited to see him and the kids. He admitted afterwards he panicked a bit when he saw the 4:40 pace group and i was at least 4 minutes behind but when he saw my smiley face he knew i was ok. I took a gel around 9km, i had planned on taking one around 7km but i forgot. The sun was beating fairly strong now and i was sweating more than i expected, i struggled to open the gel and when i finally did it split and my hands got even stickier to add to the mess Crossing the 10km timing mat was another milestone, almost 1/4 of way already. I knew at this stage my estimated finish time was roughly 4:45 and that was going to be good enough for me if i could hold that.

KM 11-20 (6:29, 6:32, 6:29, 6:37, 6:28, 6:24, 6:53, 6:34, 6:35, 6:37)
    People passed - 515
    Wow what can i say the crowds, the support, amazing! These KMs flew by. I was just intent on controlling the pace here even though it was inclined to pick up a bit. There was still a long way to go and i was still anxious as to whether my knee would hold up. No sign of the 4:40 pace group they were lost from view altogether. I took 2 nurofen around 13km, my knee was niggling (). I took another gel around 17km.

KM 21-30 (6:37, 6:43, 6:41, 6:35, 6:37, 6:26, 6:16, 6:07, 6:03, 6:16)
    People passed - 1, 211
    Lovely to pass the half-way mark and know that all my supporters at home would be getting the update and reassurance i was still going. I also had a friend in Walkinstown around 25km to look forward too here. I reminded myself 24km is when the hills start to ease off and i was finally allowed to pick up pace a small bit (if i was able )! I took a small chocolate bar from someone around 24km which was divine. I couldn't face another gel. I passed my friend around 27km further on than i expected but i got a huge cheer from her. It lifted me again, that the knowledge that suddenly I had only 15km to go gave me such a lift that i ran 2 pretty quick KMs and suddenly was down to 13 km to go, wow, already! I could also see the white balloons again at times, still a way off but i knew i was gaining ground. When we turned the corner for the 30km timing mat the balloons were very close

KM 31-40 (6:16, 6:16, 6:34, 6:30, 6:49, 7:05, 6:11, 6:17, 6:08, 6:27)
    People passed - 1, 283
    KM32-36 were the toughest part of my day. I was getting tired, really tired now and heart break hill hurt me. I kept reeling in the white balloons and then they'd pull away again. But at 37km i reminded myself it was just a measly Park Run to go!! Yippee!!! And my OH and kids were going to be at the Herbert Hotel around 40km which was only 3 km away. And it was all down hill now, right! Those white balloons were within my reach again and i slowly reeled them in. Once i caught them the plan was to introduce myself to Younganne and hang with them til the finish. It didn't work out quite like this however. I did reel them in around 38/39km but as i slowed to tuck in behind them i realised that putting the breaks on actually hurt too much () so i skirted around Younganne (who was deep in conversation with the other anne - my one regret of the day is we didn't get to meet) and i flew past (yes, i was flying now, really flying, i felt like Sonia O'Sullivan at this moment in time ).

KM41-42.45 (6:32, 5:44, 5:38)
    I saw my OH and kids at 40km, i was in a world of pain at this stage but i was also on fire, i felt so strong and knew i just had to keep going, that was all, i was going to cross the finish line, i was going to do it!! And wow, that last mile, i just emptied the tank as i streamed passed people, and i smiled the whole way, this was what it was about, this is what it was all for, those last 800 meters, OMG, amazing, just amazing.

Watch time: 4:36:58
    Chip time: 4:37:06

Total people passed: 3, 009 (between 10km & the finish)

After thoughts:
    It was hours before i actually learned my time. I didn't care. I had finished. I knew i had done sub 4:40 because i'd passed the pacers but i knew nothing else until the text came in later that evening. I actually didn't care. I have a vague memory, a day later, of Skyblue (Sean) mentioning 4:37 in McGrattans but i'm not sure, i was fairly out of it. I ran a marathon, wow, who cares how long it took in the end! I am so proud of how I paced myself and so grateful to the advice that was drummed into us here. Without that i have no doubt my 1st marathon would have been a very different experience, the time may (or may not) have been the same but the experience would have been different. I loved how i ran this race, i love how i finished it, i loved that i could smile for those last few miles, that was the dream and it became the reality thanks to everyone who contributed on here, everyone, you know who you all are, thank you a million times over!

Roll on DCM 2018, i will be back

• Advertisement

Week Oct 30th - Nov 5th
    Mon/Tues: very sore! Great fun getting down the stairs and the toilet :eek:

Wed-Sun:
    Gradually most of the pains eased out but the right knee remained quite painful to walk on :(

Week Nov 6th - Nov 12th
    Mon/Tues: Still limping :rolleyes:

Wed: Went for a deep tissue sports massage. Quite painful especially the peroneals on the right leg. The knee seemed better afterwards :)

Thurs: Walking more freely and pain free finally. Started back into the habit of foam rolling in the evening time.

Friday: Back to my hot yoga class, really enjoyed it working up a sweat again!

Sat-Sun: Foam rolling & glute activation exercises, it's all progress right :)

PB Update:

Distance |
    |
    |*2015|2014
    1 mi|||
    5 km|
    24:36
    |
    24:53
    ||
    25:06
    |
    8 km|
    42:09
    |
    43:10
    |
    50:04
    |
    5 mi|||
    10 km|
    52:02
    |
    55:53
    ||
    59:38
    |
    10 mi|
    1:30:50
    ||
    Half||
    2:09:25
    |
    Marathon|
    4:37:06
    ||
    Park run|
    26:27
    |

* pregnant for a good chunk of this year :)

Advertisement