Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Bohermeen is nearer to you, 800 running, flat and fast course and most importantly, not in Kerry ;-)

unfortunately I think it's sold out.... it is a great race though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

unfortunately I think it's sold out.... it is a great race though.

Do you know if transfers are allowed? There may be one or two of us not running. There's a mini novices reunion down there. :-)

Do you know if transfers are allowed? There may be one or two of us not running. There's a mini novices reunion down there. :-)

I doubt it TBH but there are contact details on the poster in this link if you want to double check with them.

I doubt it TBH but there are contact details on the poster in this link if you want to double check with them.

They replied promptly. Transfers are allowed. Thanks for the advice.

They replied promptly. Transfers are allowed. Thanks for the advice.

That's great news! I assumed not which just goes to show!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

Monday, Feb 26th
    Total:10.2km (1:02:03) (6 x 100m strides)
    Avg Pace: 6:05 min/km
    Splits:6:10, 6:04, 6:09, 6:12, 6:14, 6:12, 6:08, 5:42, 5:46, 6:13, 6:05 (.2)
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Comments: Can't remember much about this

Tuesday, Feb 27th
    Total: 6.3km (41:47)
    Avg Pace: 6:38 min/km
    Splits: 6:45, 6:39, 6:41, 6:37, 6:27, 6:34, 6:50 (.3)
    Avg HR: 148 bpm
    Comments: Full of the joys for this, chatting with the girls, taking it easy easy.

Wed, Feb 28th
    Total: 1hr gym S&C session - mostly body weight work - glute bridges, plank, lateral plank etc.

Thursday, March 1st
    REST day

Fri, March 2nd
    Total: 5km walk (40:22) - faster than some of my recovery runs!!

Sat, March 3rd
    Total: Parkrun (25:34)
    Avg Pace: 5:08 min/km
    Splits: 5:11, 5:11, 5:13, 5:04, 4:55
    Avg HR: 159 bpm
    Comments: Crunchy snow run, beautiful, time was better than i expected in the conditions, my 2nd fastest Parkrun :)

Sun, March 4th
    LAZY DAY :o

Comments: Well thought i’d be reporting on a HM at the end of this week. So disappointed it had to be postponed. Mon/Tues were both easy runs in anticipation of the HM. Wed/Thurs were always going to be non-running days as OH had stuff on. Friday really was runnable but i just couldn’t motivate myself, i did do a 5km walk FWIW. Saturday, i had put the morning aside for the HM and as that was now a now-event i went along to Parkrun instead. It was rather beautiful running on lovely fresh crunchy snow, i tried to keep the push on but this was never going to be a PB attempt, not in the conditions, enjoyed it however and the time was faster than i expected. Sunday well i’ve no excuse, it was runnable but i had no motivation. I need a new goal :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Tralee!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

See an entry available over on Bohermeen thread?

Tralee!
    OOnegative wrote: »
    See an entry available over on Bohermeen thread?
    QB kindly gave me first dibs on it but unfortunately I've had to decline. It just doesn't work out with the OH & kids' schedules. It's a 2.5 hour journey each-way for me and Tralee is 3 hr each-way, i can't really justify it at the moment with the kids, my time is not my own, it's takes a lot of organising to sort out their various extra curricular activities and so on :cool:

I'm eager to know when R&R will be rescheduled for but the chances of it suiting me are slim. This side of July i have very few free weekends :(

I think i might start researching virtual HMs :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Where are you roughly based in the country? There's a half in Mullingar on St. Patricks Day, in Roscommon town on Easter Saturday, in Lough Boora in Offaly on Easter Sunday and in Longford mid April.

• Advertisement

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Where are you roughly based in the country? There's a half in Mullingar on St. Patricks Day, in Roscommon town on Easter Saturday, in Lough Boora in Offaly on Easter Sunday and in Longford mid April.

Thanks Sunny Dayz, i'm in the West. Part of the issue is my plan was to move on after the HM and start 5k training. Bohermeen really would be the ideal if i could have swung it. I don't really want to push it out much further as i have a couple of 5k races in mind to target in May so i want to start a 12 week plan to target those... There's a HM in Mayo in May which may suit, i need to figure out how to handle this next block of training to align my 5k & HM goals. First world problems really eh :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Oh I'd be gutted! Only thing is of course all the training will have done you loads of good anyway and will help with whatever you do next, but still how annoying!! Hope they announce a rescheduled event soon and that it somehow suits you!

I'd say just concentrate on Craughwell 10 mile that you're running. Let it be your motivation for the next couple of weeks. It's still a good distance and is only a bit over 2 weeks away. Make it your target for now and then plan your schedule after that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I'd say just concentrate on Craughwell 10 mile that you're running. Let it be your motivation for the next couple of weeks. It's still a good distance and is only a bit over 2 weeks away. Make it your target for now and then plan your schedule after that?

Totally agree. It is very frustrating when you work so hard and put the training in and you really did but it will show in the 10 mile anyway and hopefully the HM will be run soon enough and suits you.

Brilliant parkrun time and in snow as well. That’s just fantastic.

I think you are in great shape right now and use the next couple of weeks to plan your 5km training. You are going to get some serious PBs I bet when you do that.

eyrie wrote: »
    Oh I'd be gutted! Only thing is of course all the training will have done you loads of good anyway and will help with whatever you do next, but still how annoying!! Hope they announce a rescheduled event soon and that it somehow suits you!

Yeah, perspective, at least it got me running consistently which i probably wouldn't have if i hadn't signed up.

I'm not really sure why i signed up to 10m, i can't seem to get excited about it at all. I think it'll be a training run at this stage.
    Kellygirl wrote: »
    Totally agree. It is very frustrating when you work so hard and put the training in and you really did but it will show in the 10 mile anyway and hopefully the HM will be run soon enough and suits you.

Brilliant parkrun time and in snow as well. That’s just fantastic.

I think you are in great shape right now and use the next couple of weeks to plan your 5km training. You are going to get some serious PBs I bet when you do that.

Thanks K. I wish i could be more decisive like you, i'm brutal for chopping and changing targets and plans :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Please don't do the 10miles as a training run, ariana, its very close to the HM distance and your training has been great. Maybe stick 2hr (or 1:55 ;) ) into one of those equivalent calculators to get a target for the 10 miles?

Please don't do the 10miles as a training run, ariana, its very close to the HM distance and your training has been great. Maybe stick 2hr (or 1:55 ;) ) into one of those equivalent calculators to get a target for the 10 miles?

I didn't think of doing that!

2hr predicts 1:30:04
    1:55 predicts 1:26:19 :eek:

My 10m pb is 1:30:50. Maybe 1:29 as a target.

I'll give it some thought thanks.

ariana` wrote: »
    I didn't think of doing that!

I'll give it some thought thanks.

Yep go for it. It’s a lovely distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Fully agree with this. Go out and treat the 10m as if it was your target race. Give it your all and I would put money on you getting a big PB. Don't put a time on it just run by feel and forget the watch.

You training has been fab lately and with all the S & C you've been doing you're really going to notice the way it helps you in your race.

Best of Luck and looking forward to reading the report.

Monday, Feb 5th
    Pilates class

Tuesday, March 6th
    Total: 6.18 km (41:48)
    Avg Pace: 6:46 min/km
    Splits: 6:38, 6:50, 6:57, 6:48, 6:43, 6:39
    Avg HR: 158 bpm
    Comments: A nice easy one with friends.

Wed, March 7th
    Total: 15.2km (1:39:38)
    Avg Pace: 6:33 min/km
    Splits: 6:36, 6:37, 6:42, 6:34, 6:46, 6:47, 6:44, 6:25, 6:28, 6:30, 6:28, 6:12, 6:32, 6:22, 6:33, 6:42 (.2)
    Avg HR: 174 bpm
    Comments: This felt a bit harder than it should of, legs were heavy and stiff from Monday's Pilates class.

Thursday, March 8th
    REST

Fri, March 9th
    Session: 5x5min @ threshold off 2min rec
    Total: 10.4 km (59:14)
    Avg Pace: 5:42 min/km
    Interval Splits: 5:24, 5:22, 5:14, 5:13, 5:11
    Avg HR: 170 bpm
    Comments: Threshold pace is 5:15-5:23 which means I actually only got 1 out of 5 in the right range :rolleyes: But all were within 4 seconds so surely that's an improvement for me on hitting paces :) Really really loved this session and finished feeling I could do one more.

Sat, March 10th
    Total: 9.7km (1:00:27)
    Avg Pace: 6:14 min/km
    Splits: 6:21, 6:16, 6:06, 6:20, 6:17, 6:13, 6:17, 6:04, 6:06, 6:22 (.7)
    Avg HR: 154 bpm
    Comments: Legs were tired enough at the start of this but really enjoyed it once i settled in, on my own and in the zone :)

Sun, March 11th
    Total: 9.32 km (57:02) (6 x 100m strides)
    Avg Pace: 6:07 min/km
    Splits: 6:33, 6:19, 6:18, 6:14, 6:07, 5:50, 5:33, 6:06, 6:15
    Avg HR: 150 bpm
    Comments: Straight out of bed and out for this, felt quite stiff starting off and didn’t think i’d manage the strides at all but i was surprised by the time it got to them, they felt great, i love letting loose on them and am always surprised by the paces i hit (4:07, 3:55, 3:56, 3:50, 3:49, 3:36).

Comments: 51km/31m. Happy with this week’s running. Good to get back into it after the snow-break. Lots of fantastic results from yesterday’s Bohermeen as well, really inspirational.

• Advertisement

Monday, Feb 12th
    Pilates class

Tuesday, March 13th
    Total: 6.23 km (41:07)
    Avg Pace: 6:36
    Splits: 6:39, 6:40, 6:34, 6:48, 6:32, 6:21, 6:46 (.23)
    Avg HR: 139 bpm
    Comments: Lovely run, great company, nice easy trot chatting with friends, haven’t seen as low an average HR in a while.

Wed, March 14th
    Total: 11.21 km (1:06:31)
    Avg Pace: 5:56
    Splits: 5:55, 5:58, 6:09, 5:54, 6:06, 5:55, 5:54, 5:53, 5:45, 5:44, 5:59, 6:18 (.21)
    Avg HR: 160 bpm
    Comments: I had no plan heading out for this, the day had been stormy but it eased off enough by evening time. In the end it was a bit of a meh run, some might call it junk miles, not fast enough for a decent tempo run and too fast for nice easy miles, legs were tired after :rolleyes:

Thursday, March 15th
    REST

Fri, March 16th
    Session: 6x3min @5k pace with 3 mins recovery
    Total: 9.61km (53:28)
    Avg Pace: 5:34 min/km
    Interval Splits: 4:52, 4:56, 4:50, 4:50, 4:46, 4:47
    Avg HR: 146 bpm
    Comments: Loved this, as per last week’s threshold session i finished feeling like i could manage another one. Planned pace range was 4:51-4:57 min/km so i wasn’t too far off.

Sat, March 17th
    Session: 60 min easy with 8x100m strides
    Total: 9.8km (1:00:41)
    Avg Pace: 6:12 min/km
    Splits: 6:28, 6:18, 6:06, 6:13, 6:19, 6:25, 5:57, 5:50, 6:06, 6:17 (.8)
    Avg HR: 170 bpm
    Comments: The strides were into a strong head wind so these felt tough but not as tough as the average HR indicates :eek:

Sun, March 18th
    Panned to run but it just didn’t work out.

Comments: 37km

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

ariana` wrote: »

Well you blew that out of the park! Congrats.

Delighted for you today! It's great when a plan comes together. Super running :)

Well you blew that out of the park! Congrats.

Thanks. I will admit i had come around to the idea of a 1:26:xx target so in the end it was spot on. Delighted, absolutely delighted :D
    Delighted for you today! It's great when a plan comes together. Super running :)

Thanks S :)

Craughwell 10m 2018, (a slightly reluctant) Target of 1:26:xx, Chip time: 1:26:11. PB :)

I'm not sure i can do a mile by mile analysis but I'll attempt some sort of report!

So Saturday, pre-race went a bit off plan. A routine visit to the dentist ended with a rather a deep filling which subsequently meant i missed a meal or two :rolleyes: and had a rotten headache all day. I headed to bed early but was woken by a child not once, not twice but three times. And then of course the clocks went forward :cool: Needless to say woke up tired on race day but the sun was shining and the conditions looked pretty damn perfect, what more could i ask :)

Landed in Craughwell village to the sound of a DJ and an amazing buzz of runners running up and down the main streets warming up. I quickly parked up, collected my number and joined the runners enjoying the tunes being pumped out. The atmosphere was electric.

It wasn't long til we were all walking the .5m to the start line. And we were off. The first km was fast, down hill, i tried to keep my head (when all around me were losing there's :P). The first 5km flew by, i was just ticking them off and sticking to the pace, i had 5:20min/km engraved on my brain for a 1:26:xx finish, i knew i was banking a small few seconds on these early kilometers but i wasn't over-cooking either. It was hot along these early KMs, the sun was beating down, i was so glad i left the gloves and buff back at the car but i was a bit sorry i didn't have a vest/singlet on. The course to be honest was rolling hills all the way, nothing to put the fear of god in you but enough to keep you on your toes! The second 5km i had to work a little harder and at around 10km/6m i had my first experience of dry wretching in a race but i was still on target and the legs felt ok. More dry wretching around the 13km/8m mark :eek: So close at this stage but i could see the average pace creeping up, it was maybe 5:19min/km at this stage and i knew i had to keep the pressure on to get my target, i was beyond the point of being able to do maths at this stage but 5:20 was still the number to watch. I had heard that the last 2km were hilly but to be honest i didn't find them any worse than the rest of the course. I couldn't believe when i saw the clock in front of me, i did a mad sprint for the last 200m, so much so that i came the closest i ever have to pucking just after i crossed the line :eek:

Headed back to the community centre for a unbelieve spread of sandwiches, cakes, teas, coffees. And still the most electric buzz. Amazing event, Craughwell i will definitely be back and I'd recommend it to anyone :)

Sounds like the perfect day! Delighted to see how you gave it your absolute everything. With the pre and post DCM injury and it's management you've had a long time having to be really careful. Great to see the handbrake taken off!! :pac:

The atmosphere sounds great. Another race to add to my list. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Excellent result ariana. Really well managed race by the sounds of it and aggressive when needed. Well done

Great report Ariana! Well done again. You ran a great race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Congrats, well done on the pb. Nice to get a return on the training!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Congratulations (but no surprise really!)

Advertisement