Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options
1424344454648»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Even after all those years it's mad how vivid a memory can be especially when it's to do with trauma, the mind is a mad & wonderful place at times. Thanks for sharing that, big hugs on what would have been your da's 80th birthday💛

Great to see you ticking along nicely, I think a race at this stage as you say it will give you a nice idea of where you are & I'm sure it won't be a miserable experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

What's the race? Love reading the updates on your son and his GAA wins too!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Haha well his gaa season is over now A so no more updates for a while.... Rugby and soccer are just starting though 🙄 To be honest I don't usually get involved til the end of the season and we hit the semi finals/finals stage, up to then I'm just a chauffeur, a cook and a minor miracle worker when it comes to getting white shorts clean 😂

10 mile race. I'm not sure how to pace it really, maybe I'll start a few seconds slower than PB pace and see how it goes.

Thank you. It's a strange one, the things that stick in your mind, and then other memories are very vague. I hope you're right and it won't be a miserable experience ☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah is the 10 mile a sister of my 10k?! Might see you about if so 😊

Might see you there ☺️

• Advertisement

August 28th - Sept 3rd

Monday/Tuesday: I was away for a short break, no running kit but lots of walking

Wednesday: Another year older and feeling every day of it lately! Flew in at 8:10am and back at the desk by 8:50am. Tired and a long day catching up after being off for a lovely few days. A very easy 5k with some friends in the evening before a busy night with kids sports.

Thursday: Back to school madness. Thought I'd run in the evening but working late and then young lad had a match and then it was too dark - need to dig out the Winter running kit again 😕

Friday: Again no run. A very long day in work, very stressful there at the moment and for the last while.

Saturday: 5miles easy with a few surges, enjoyed this, just being out on a quiet morning, country roads.

Sunday: 10m race.

Not really sure how much I want to dwell on this, certainly not my finest innings but to be honest I went into it with a fairly negative mindset. I haven't been in great form recently, lots of anxiety, insomnia, headaches, migraines... A combination of life busyness and the joys of midlife hormones (or lack of hormones) perhaps. Trying to get on top of it but for now it is still getting on top of me. So those are the excuses! I set off good and early.Travelling on my own for a change but was glad to be able belt out a few tunes in the car. Parked up, picked up my number, used the facilities, sat in the car for 20mins, did a nice 3k warm up, used the facilities again, changed my runners (wore the endorphin pro 2 for the race), did some dynamic stretches and headed to the start line - got chatting to a lovely bubbly girl who was worried about being last and before we knew it we were off. I ran just under 80mins here previously and for some reason assumed I could/would do the same again, or similar enough - so set off about that pace, well a tad faster actually 🙄 First 2 km were grand (4:47, 4:57), 3-4k (4:51, 4:50) started to wonder if i could hold the pace, 5-6k (4:48, 5:02) kind of knew I couldn't hold the pace but clung on, 7th k (5:15) dropped off the pace, 8th k (5:03) clawed the pace back, 9-10k (5:29, 5:20) gave up the ghost, 11-16.1k (5:18, 5:13, 5:18, 5:13, 5:13) just tried to stay running and not give in to the desire to stop & walk. I was fairly isolated from about 8k-14k and then suddenly out of nowhere there were loads of runners around me again and strangely I was passing them out - I don't know where they came from but I eventually copped that they would have been the 60+ minute 10k runners so it made sense that even @ 5:15 pace I was passing them but it gave me a little lift all the same to have some life around me again and I tried to encourage anyone I passed which distracted me from my own torment. I had a lovely friend at about 15.5km and also got a call out from the annoucer and from @ReeReeG at the finish line so that all helped me over the line. I squeezed in just under 83 mins - 1:22:58, exactly 3mins slower than previously. After I finished I chatted briefly to a couple of people at the finish line and then headed back to the 15.5k to see my friend who was waiting for her Mum to come in, she's done every iteration of the race and she had a pile of grandchildren waiting to run with her to big applause, so that was lovely and really nice reminder of what it's all about - especially for those of us who won't ever be at the pointy end and whose PB days may just be behind us.

Overall a little dissapointed in how I ran this. If I had set out to run 83 mins I'm sure it would have been a lot more enjoyable but I didn't really know where my fitness is at. Of course training should tell me where my fitness is at but i think with the EIM i don't feel I get the same feedback as doing proper sessions. EIM encourages you to race regularly and I've been neglecting that aspect so maybe that's what I need. That and some tweaks to training too. It was an enjoyable morning all the same, felt fairly social by my introverted standards! Nothing like the sunshine to put everyone in a good mood. Onward.

20miles/33km for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

You don't really mention the heat as a mitigating factor yesterday - way hotter than it's been all summer really so that was bound to have a bit of an impact too.

Would highly doubt that your PB days are behind you btw. You've been so consistent for a long time that I'd imagine there are gains waiting to be made with some focused training for a bit. I always think of what @Swashbuckler used say about work/life/running and the balance of not ramping up all three at once. Hopefully work and life calm down a bit for you and then I think you'll see progress again.

The evenings are closing in that bit earlier alright. Very annoying having to factor that in again when setting out at what should be a reasonable hour of the evening.

Funnily enough A I've been thinking of @Swashbuckler recently and the penny really has dropped with me, I always thought i 'got' it but I think now I'm living it it's different. Even though the circumstances are different, my kids are older etc, but everything has just ramped up in the last while, even OH's job has become more demanding which has a knock on effect too, talk about timing! I'm hoping work will get easier but in the meantime I might start doing the lotto 🤞

And yes it was hot - thanks for the reminder!

And the humidity! Also don't underestimate the hormone effects - that has a bigger impact on the other stuff than it would have as we get a bit older, 100%. Especially until you get it sorted. Give yourself a break.

"I went into it with a fairly negative mindset. I haven't been in great form recently, lots of anxiety, insomnia, headaches, migraines"

That's a lot to be dealing with! Negative mindset also plays a huge part and you mentioned it a few times in recent posts, why are you bothering to run and not feeling it etc. I agree with A, your PB days are not behind you. I think you're being too hard on yourself expecting to be able to do it all when everything is at full tilt. I'd love to be only 3 mins off my 10 mile pb 😀. Well done you I say!

It's ok to fell a little disappointed with a race, we all have been there just don't let it get you down. As everyone else has said your PB days are defo not behind you. You have a really great running mind & understand so much of it, I really do be in awe of all the solid advice you give out on a regular basis on here, you never think twice to offer it which is brilliant. We are always a lot easier on others, it's natural so my advice to you is to give yourself that same self care.

You are going through a fair bit outside of running, for me discovering I was getting to menopause was tough because it really affected a lot of my running back when I really wasn't sure what was going on, it affected me mentally & physically but I am in a much better place now thank god. Take the time you need to try figure out what's going on & see if you can get some help with it. None of what you mentioned by the way are excuses, they are real life & real life things that are affecting you right now. Keep going, you will have better races for sure!

• Advertisement

The icing on the cake, a mention from the GOAT on the pod 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Sorry to hear your race day didn't go to plan either, I think you nailed it with your first 3 lines of your race report. I think anyone of these challenges on their own would have potential to disrupt a race day but combining them together definitely is going to knock you back somewhat from where you'd like to be. There's some excellent advice already posted in replies here so I am sure when things settle for you and combined with training and racing you'll be putting those pb's under pressure yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

😀😀😀

Hahaha I'd day your ears have been burning 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I actually came online to check something on the Electric Picnic thread and saw I was tagged in my notifications.

Thanks A. I think you're right about the negative mindset, funnily I've a framed poster in my office with the quote "A mind free of negatives produces positives" - it's hanging there but i haven't looked at it in a while! I only listened to the Pod on Friday I think it was, chuffed alright that my new BFF gave me a mention! She visited my local parkrun a few years back, before the Pod, and she was obviously quite shy but she still stood for all the photos and chatted etc... She's just class ☺️

Thanks E. Glad you are feeling better. I'll get there too. I'm doing workshop tonight actually with Irene Clarke I just signed up for it a few days ago, it was apt timing when I spotted it. It's over 2 Monday nights. Hopefully get some insights and tips for training 🤞

Thank you 😊

Ah, good to hear from you P. I hope all well with you and your gang ☺️

Sept 4th - 10th

This week was about recovering from the 10m, such as it was, and also getting back into the gym! After being in a super routine from last Oct - June i really let it slide during July & August with the absence of a routine. I was expecting serious DOMS so set my running expectations for the week low.

Monday: Not even in the gym but legs were a bit sore from the previous day's effort. Got 30mins of a sweaty crawl while the young lad had drum practise.

4.2km @ 6:33min/k

Tues: Back in the gym for strength. Wasn't as bad as i expected, I reduced the weight slightly from where I was at the end of June but pleased that i still maintained some strength. Tough session in the heat though.

Wed: Sore glutes, DOMS - another very easy but sweaty run, 5k @ 6:43

Thursday: Gym again for more punishment.

Friday: 3rd gym session and followed up with another 5k @ 5:55min/k, a bit more like easy pace this time although legs were literally like blocks at this stage after 3 strength sessions, i think my whole body was in shock 😂 Went for a dip in the sea in the evening, the water was like bath water couldn't believe how warm it is at the moment.

Saturday: Awake early as usual but decided to hang on a bit so I could incorporate parkrun, I haven't been in a while and I felt like a social run. This worked out well, enjoyed it. Started at 8:30 and got 9.5k done comprised of 1k easy, 200m surge and then into parkrun where i continued with the easy and surges, I picked up for the last 2k of parkrun (5:07, 5:06) and finished with 1.5k cool down to bring the run to 16km @ 5:42 avg pace.

Sunday: Easy hour, 10k @ 5:56 followed up with a few strides (5 * 100m).

Week: 42.2km/26.2m

Hopefully a little more running Mon-Thurs going forward though will take a bit of settling into the routine with school and after school activities etc.

Hello log, the last month flew by!

Life's been as busy as ever. Running's definitely taken a backseat, quick summary:

Sept 11-17th

Some easy runs varying in length, some strides during the week and one set of short hill blasts which left my legs in bits for about 3 days after.

Long run of 10miles, first 6miles easy with surges, finished off with parkrun at threshold (24:47 for parkrun) and a cool down.

26.3miles total.

Sept 18th-24th

More easy runs, a fartlek (mona) and threw in a bit of light progression easy to MP on effort another day.

No long run as such it seems.

29.7m for the week

Sept 25th-Oct 1st

Easy runs, strides.

A light session - 800m @ Tempo (5:18), 800m @ Threshold (5:11), 800m @ CV (4:55), 800m Threshold (5:09), 800m Tempo (5:18)

Longest run was 8miles, made up of 5k tempo @ 5:11min/km + 6 * 1'/1' off

31.1m for the week

Oct 2nd-8th

Easy mid week runs, strides.

Last minute half marathon at the weekend

No right really doing this but I went along to support some friends doing the 3/4. Really enjoyed the day. Weather was glorious and met loads of friends before and after. Kept the pace comfortable from the off as knew I didn't have the fitness. The first 7km were lovely, very flat, the day was beautiful, not too warm yet

KM 1-7: 5:08, 5:08, 5:08, 5:08, 5:08, 5:10, 5:13

The 8th & 9th km were just a very long gradual drag, I didn't feel too bad on this but didn't push too hard as was well aware I still had a long way to go. I passed a couple of lads along here and was gaining ground on others but at this stage we had merged with the 3/4 marathon and I didn't know who was who

KM 8-9: 5:19, 5:15

After this we hit the main road and the most fabulous long downhill section, gentle enough to really benefit from, definitely the highlight of the running part of the day!

KM 10 - 4:51

And of course what goes down must go up and back up it did, about 10.2 k was the start of the worst hill of the day and definitely the running lowlight of the day!

KM 11 - 5:39

I was hoping for a nice downhill after getting to the top of that hill but unfortunately had to settle for flat! Managed a nice relatively nice few ks in here before the tiredness really kicked in, definitely wasn't feeling quite as good as the first 7 km but was somewhat comfortable still

KM 12 - 16: 5:08, 4:56, 5:05, 5:06, 5:13

10 miles is as long as I've run recently and even that's been sporadic enough, it had to catch up with me, fairly wrecked now and just wanted to be finished, the sun was really beating down now too and I was begining to need a toilet...

KM 17 - 19: 5:19, 5:16, 5:24

I can't remember if it was stewards or a water table but I remember a few men saying only 2k to go and it gave me a nice lift and I managed to finish out reasonably well, passed another few along this last 2km, 4 I think. I wasn't passed by anyone the entire run and I managed to continually pass the odd one throughout which was a nice feeling - althought a lot of them could have been doing the 3/4 at a nice easy pace as opposed to my hard enough effort so I'm under no illusions of the reality of the situation.

KM 20-21+: 5:11, 4:53 and 4:32 (for the last bit)

Finished in 1:49:33 (21.17 @ 5:10min/k) - my 3rd fastest official half, fastest being 1:45:xx and second fastest being 1:48:xx. Relieved to finish under 1:50. I hadn't a plan going into this but in hindsight I think I would have been dissappointed not to finish under 1:50, a guess that's where the bar is set now. It was a decent effort and well paced run, bled a small bit of time from km 17-19 but otherwise I held it together reasonably well considering the lack of training, a lot happier than i was with my 10m last month even though the end result wasn't much different (I ran 10m @ 5:07 pace that day).

30.1m total for the week

Thinking of doing the grads 6 week base plan next for a bit of structure.

Post edited by ariana` on

October 9th - 15th (week 1 of "lets see how long I stick at a plan for")

Monday: Option was 20mins easy or rest - I took rest after the HM effort of the previous day

Tuesday: 45mins easy - 8k @ 6:10min/k

Wednesday: Rest

Thursday: 60min Progression (easy to MP). I broke this into 10mins easy, 15mins easy/moderate, 15mins moderate, 15mins tempo, 5mins easy. MP is 5:23 (based on last week's half) and tempo is 5:16-5:25 so I thought this was fairly appropriate with the intention to keep to the slower end of the range. Happy enough with how it went but I won't deny I found it tougher than I expected to increase the pace each time.

Friday: Supposed to 45mins easy but I left the kids on their own and it was quite dark and I couldn't relax thinking if something happened to me and OH was away for the night... ended up cutting it short, 30mins @ 6:07min/k (6km)

Saturday: 40mins easy + 10 x 100m strides with full recovery - ended up at 11.2km for this run, I enjoyed the strides, felt good.

Sunday: 90mins easy, what a difference 12 hrs make this was yuck, the most horrible run, just felt sluggish and tired throughout and wanted it to be over. 92mins @ 6:24min/m (14.5km)

50km/31.2miles

Similar mileage to the past number of weeks but a bit more structure. Happy to just get through this week to be honest, it was a crappy enough week, lots of stress and working lots of evenings until late, even got up at 1am one night and did 2hrs of work as something was on my mind 🙄 Need a kick up the ar*s really 😏

Inspirational performances in Amsterdam by @skyblue46, @Laineyfrecks, @Lazare and @rizzee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Thanks so much E.

Don't be so hard on yourself, running a five day week is never crappy. Also so tough to be consistent when work stress is high, and you're managing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Catching up - nice work in the Half on limited specific training! Those last min races can really bring us on you know!!

Thanks for the nice comments @Lazare and @AuldManKing ☺️

Well, I've just had 3 weeks off after DCM (is it even relevant that I didn't do DCM?)

The good news is I can still run for an hour, the bad news is that I can just about still run for an hour 🙄 Feeling about as unfit as I ever have really, like I've just undone about 5 yrs of good running over the space of 5 months of poor running. Not sure where to turn, try to get consistent again in a sensible way, I guess. Weekly goal is 4 runs, 2 strength sessions, runs mostly easy, a set of strides and a bit of steady-threshold. If I can keep at that for a few weeks and then maybe a 10k/HM block. I've been here before with good intentions so 🤞 it sticks this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Seems to me that committing to a target race for the first half of next year might help you in sticking to those good intentions? Maybe the Limerick Half or something around that time would be a good timeframe.

From a distance, and this is easy for me to say of course, but you've still been tipping away relatively consistently over the past while and I'm sure there's a very decent base there just waiting to be tapped into.

Limerick is one I look at every year and yet I've never done it! It'd be a good timing alright. I take your point about the base and I'd say the same to anyone in my position but we're always so much harder on ourselves aren't we.

I did my 4 runs this week anyhow though only 1 strength session. Threw in a little bit of EIM today, though it took me most of the run to get the feel of it again. I was enjoying that during the Summer though I never felt any great gains after 4 months of it but maybe because I never added any specificity on top, I'll throw in a couple of runs a week again, break up some easy runs.

Advertisement