Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭ariana`

It's funny how people can have different perspectives. That week looked anything but meh to me. That strength and conditioning will truly stand to you in the long run and has taken serious discipline to keep it up so give yourself a pat on the back.

Aw thanks :)
    eyrie wrote: »
    Have to agree with Swashbuckler - doesn't like like a 'meh' week at all! It's all down to how it feels to you though of course :) But getting in solid mileage as well as all that strength training is brilliant. I think you're going great ;)

Thanks eyrie :)
    Baby75 wrote: »
    I think it looks like a great weeks training :) I think you have been very consistent getting out for your midweek runs and long one at the weekend we always doubt ourselves just before a race bit of the ol taper madness creeping in :)

have you a time in mind for the half :)

I'm hoping to break 2 hrs N. but i really haven't done much running at hmp aside from the last 3-4km of some of my steady/long runs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

ariana` wrote: »
    I'm hoping to break 2 hrs N. but i really haven't done much running at hmp aside from the last 3-4km of some of my steady/long runs.

You're doing Kinvara aren't you? That's where I broke 2 hours for the first time. Have very fond memories of that race. Here's a good course breakdown from the very helpful Abhainn if you haven't run it before.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98683110&postcount=7

Be confident in yourself on the day, relax, smile and don't go too easy on yourself when it gets hard, just put the head down and think of the goal. I've not doubt you can achieve a sub 2.

You're doing Kinvara aren't you? That's where I broke 2 hours for the first time. Have very fond memories of that race. Here's a good course breakdown from the very helpful Abhainn if you haven't run it before.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=98683110&postcount=7

Be confident in yourself on the day, relax, smile and don't go too easy on yourself when it gets hard, just put the head down and think of the goal. I've not doubt you can achieve a sub 2.

Thanks for the course breakdown, advice and vote of confidence. This is exactly what i love boards for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

The plan I followed for my last two HMs only had one 3k HMP run at the very end of the plan, so I wouldn't worry about that at all.

As for the rest, I think AgyR said it best :) (And I'm a poet and I didn't know it).

Taper well!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

I’d consider that a brilliant week. You have been incredibly consistent with mileage and the S&C. You’ll do great in the HM.

• Advertisement

Monday, Feb 19th
    Total: 1hr gym S&C session - mostly body weight work - glute bridges, plank, lateral plank etc.

Tuesday, Feb 20th
    Total: 10.71 (59:32)
    Avg Pace: 5:34 min/km (HMP)
    Splits: 5:48, 5:40, 5:24, 5:24, 5:35, 5:32, 5:27, 5:34, 5:25, 5:34, 5:52 (.72)
    Avg HR: 156 bpm
    Comments: The plan was 50min @ HMP so I’m really happy with this, i won’t say it was easy but i was running with 1 other girl and we had a 2-way conversation throughout so i take it as a good sign that i was able to talk. This is exactly what i need to do x2 on Saturday week to get a sub-2hr HM, fingers crossed the conditions are as nice. A medium-long run tomorrow night and then the 10-day taper starts.

Wed, Feb 21st
    Total: 21.11 km (2:20:18)
    Avg Pace: 6:39 min/km
    Splits: 6:47, 6:43, 6:52, 6:31, 6:35, 6:32, 6:40, 6:52, 6:29, 6:46, 6:46, 6:47, 6:45, 6:56, 6:46, 6:54, 6:41, 6:41, 5:34, 5:56, 6:02, 6:35 (.11)
    Avg HR: 166 bpm
    Comments: The aim here was 16-18km but we took a shortcut that somehow ended up being a long-cut. Anyhow, this wasn’t a bad run. My friends decided to walk at 19km so i picked up the pace a bit then although this just happened naturally without me really planning it, at that stage i think i needed a change in pace to keep me going. It was a funny one from a HR perspective, HR was high for the first 10km but dropped down significantly for the latter 11km (average 175 for 1st 10km, average 160 for the last 11km)

Thurs, Feb 22nd
    REST

Friday, Feb 23rd
    S&C - as per Monday.

Sat, Feb 24th
    Total: 5.3km (30:25) (5 x 100m strides)
    Avg Pace: 5:44 min/km
    Splits: 5:54, 6:00, 5:50, 5:44, 5:11, 5:52 (.3)
    Avg HR: 153 bpm
    Comments: I only had a very short window to run here, 30 minutes max so went with a steady run with strides. Nothing notable.

Sunday, Feb 25th
    The plan was 60 minutes steady but this was the first time in a long time where i could have fitted in a run but i just gave in to the lazy feeling, i don’t do it often, i’d normally drag myself out but it has been an exceptionally busy week and i think i just needed an evening at home so I’m not going to beat myself up about it.

Comments: 37km/23m. Another fairly standard week besides skipping the Sunday run.

Tuesday, Feb 20th
    Total: 10.71 (59:32)
    Avg Pace: 5:34 min/km (HMP)
    Splits: 5:48, 5:40, 5:24, 5:24, 5:35, 5:32, 5:27, 5:34, 5:25, 5:34, 5:52 (.72)
    Avg HR: 156 bpm
    Comments: The plan was 50min @ HMP so I’m really happy with this, i won’t say it was easy but i was running with 1 other girl and we had a 2-way conversation throughout so i take it as a good sign that i was able to talk. This is exactly what i need to do x2 on Saturday week to get a sub-2hr HM, fingers crossed the conditions are as nice. A medium-long run tomorrow night and then the 10-day taper starts.

Janey, if I tried to have a conversation during a HMP session, I think I'd pass out. Sounds like you're well on for the sub-2 :)

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Janey, if I tried to have a conversation during a HMP session, I think I'd pass out. Sounds like you're well on for the sub-2 :)

I hope so Huzzah. But i will need the weather to co-operate :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

That was a good weeks work E. You got the long run and some pace work done. They're the most important runs and will stand to you. Nothing to stop you smashing 2 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Huzzah! wrote: »
    Sounds like you're well on for the sub-2 :)

And more besides I'd say! If you can do it training, and while chatting no less (!), you'll fly it in the race. Excited for you :p

• Advertisement

And more besides I'd say! If you can do it training, and while chatting no less (!), you'll fly it in the race. Excited for you :p

Thanks for the vote of confidence. That was only half the distance though, i think endurance is my issue :cool:

I'm getting a tiny bit excited myself now too, i love race week! Though i wish the weather was a bit more stable!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

You are going to fly it assuming weather plays ball etc. great week.

That was only half the distance though, i think endurance is my issue :cool:

Going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. Your massive negative split in DCM supports my side of the argument too, if I may say so... :p

Going to have to respectfully disagree on this one. Your massive negative split in DCM supports my side of the argument too, if I may say so... :p

Oh Jaysus an argumentative one! :pac::pac: She can see through your sandbagging :eek:

The praise is lovely but seriously my negative split in DCM was after an ultra conservative run in the first half, if i had gone looking for a time that i really thought i was capable of, i'd have had a very positive split or maybe even a DNF :eek:
    skyblue46 wrote: »
    Oh Jaysus an argumentative one! :pac::pac: She can see through your sandbagging :eek:

I'm not sandbagging :p I'm aiming for an almost 10 minute pb!!! How can that be sandbagging - that's a massive pb if i get it, i think 2hrs is an ambitious time for me. I haven't proven myself at all over distances longer than 10k, i've always run them conservatively, this is my first time putting myself out there and i'm petrified truth be told and a bit excited too of course :D

The praise is lovely but seriously my negative split in DCM was after an ultra conservative run in the first half, if i had gone looking for a time that i really thought i was capable of, i'd have had a very positive split or maybe even a DNF :eek:

I'm not sandbagging :p I'm aiming for an almost 10 minute pb!!! How can that be sandbagging - that's a massive pb if i get it, i think 2hrs is an ambitious time for me. I haven't proven myself at all over distances longer than 10k, i've always run them conservatively, this is my first time putting myself out there and i'm petrified truth be told and a bit excited too of course :D

You'll be grand, my crystal ball is never wrong! :pac: You're right to go for the limits alright. It'll make it all the sweeter. If it doesn't work out just look how swashbuckler learned from one race last week.

Ah I totally get that feeling. That's the thing about races, particularly longer ones, there's that sense of the unknown no matter how well you're doing going in. A 10 minute PB would be amazing, and a super achievement. I just think from following your training that you're capable of plenty more, but that will come too whether it's in this race or a future one.

Now now, less of the name-calling you! :p

I only just twigged it's this weekend. The very best of luck to you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck with the race, your training has gone very well so trust in it and yourself, just give it your best shot and that's all anyone can do on a day. I hope the weather conditions are favourable!! Cold is your friend here I think, it's the wind is tough to deal with at times but a half marathon is a long race and you've time to work with it. I try to run them to an even pace up to 10 miles and then see what I can do over the last 5K.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Baby75

The best of luck Ariana as has already been said you have put in all the work now to reap the rewards you will smash your goals and get that PB I am sure of it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Looks like it's in the balance whether it'll go ahead or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Looks like it's in the balance whether it'll go ahead or not

Seems it's definitely been cancelled - hopefully they'll announce a new date soon and it will suit!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Off to Tralee with you on the 18th ariana

You'll be grand, my crystal ball is never wrong! :pac: You're right to go for the limits alright. It'll make it all the sweeter. If it doesn't work out just look how swashbuckler learned from one race last week.

What happened your crystal ball :pac:
    Seems it's definitely been cancelled - hopefully they'll announce a new date soon and it will suit!

I hope so AgyR. Not sure what to do in terms of training. The plan was to move to 5-10km training after the HM so i suppose i should go ahead with that but keep a decent long run going so i can do the HM if it suits?
    Off to Tralee with you on the 18th ariana

I guess i'll give R&R a chance to set a new date first before i jump into anything else.

Can't say i'm not mega disappointed but i understand the reasons.

What happened your crystal ball :pac:

Oh it's still very reliable at predicting race times but not great on the actual date they will occur! I keep seeing the numbers 1:54 glowing inside it!!!

Oh it's still very reliable at predicting race times but not great on the actual date they will occur! I keep seeing the numbers 1:54 glowing inside it!!!

If it's 1:54 it's predicting maybe it's not so good at predicting the runner's name either :pac:

Recommending Tralee here as well, just two weeks on Sunday! Will be running it myself.

diego_b wrote: »
    Recommending Tralee here as well, just two weeks on Sunday! Will be running it myself.

Have you run it before, is it a good event?

Have you run it before, is it a good event?

I have and it is, it's a nice size event with around 200 doing the full and another 250-300 running the half. I ran the full marathon there last year and will be doing the half this year. The full was two laps of the same route the half uses. The route itself has a few drags in it, one shortish hill around 4 miles if I recall right and then one larger one around 10/11 miles but it's fast enough route. If you want to check out the facebook page here. It's organised by Tralee Harriers and a fundraiser for that club.

• Advertisement

Bohermeen is nearer to you, 800 running, flat and fast course and most importantly, not in Kerry ;-)

Advertisement