Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running away

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

I'll see it on the tracker when I put her race number in :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

You stick to running and leave the supporting to the professionals :pac:

Jaysus - how'd you know her race number - we have a tracker?? Are they my feet....... :confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

I'll see it on the tracker when I put her race number in :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

You stick to running and leave the supporting to the professionals :pac:

Ouch!
    See above post re professional supporting :D:D it wasn't me that shouted Wubble Wubble, it was fletch!!!!

Yes indeed, it was fletch. In Dunboyne.

However, I don't recall him supporting in Raheny, and if he was, aquinn wasn't beside him :D sure you got a laugh out of me anyway :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,936 ✭✭✭annapr

AM knows her stuff............... and how do you know her name - I don't even know her name.............

How do you know she's talkative if you don't know her name? :confused:

Ariana, I agree with AMK and AGYR on the target time.... only caveat is be prepared to change plan on the day... for example, if it's hot and humid like today.

And no matter what anybody says, highly unlikely that you will do a negative split, so don't worry about that. I would recommend considering a joining a pacing group if you can... takes a lot of pressure off the pacing.

annapr wrote: »
    How do you know she's talkative if you don't know her name? :confused:

AM being AGYG.
    Don't now Ariana - don't have her on Strava as I cant locate her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

Hi Ariana, great advice from all above. I'm pacing 4.40 and all i can say is it will be very busy but if you run with a pace group(or close by) you will be able to run without worrying about pace and constantly checking the watch.

However I suggest going with the 4.30 pace group but starting back from the actual group where there will be more room but keeping them in your sight. You will need to be disciplined and not reel them in in the first 6 m but start doing it gradually after the Phoenix park. After you catch up to them, stay with them for a good few miles and then at about 18 - 20m start moving ahead of them and take it home. You will have a much more comfortably and enjoyable run and you'll get very close to your 4.25. This is the tactic i used to get my first sub 4 and i didn't pass pacers until the RDS and came home with nearly 3 mins to spare and really enjoyed the run.

Don't worry you will be chasing times for a few years to come and you will go from strength to strength and you already have learned so much from this round of training. Try enjoy the run up to the marathon, the training is done and just concentrate on the injury and getting to the start line in one piece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

4.30 Comfortably.
    You will surprise yourself,
    the taper will recover your muscles,
    crowds will lift you,
    adrenaline will push you,
    Stubbornness will help you,
    the training will win it for you.

Go for it.

1st half: 2:22
    2nd half: 2:18

I still think you will do it better.
    The only risk is you meet someone at 5m who is as talkative as you and you stay jabbering away for the next 21 miles :)

I'll have you know I'm actually very quiet :P

Thanks everyone who's taken the time to reply, some great advice there but nothing too far from what i was thinking myself either so that's good too :) No doubt i'll spend the next 13 days :eek: deciding on a strategy and then changing my mind 5 minutes later :pac:

Monday, Oct 9th
    Total: Glute activation exercises & gentle foam rolling

Tuesday, Oct 10th

Wednesday, Oct 11th
    Total: Glute activation exercises, foam rolling & 52 mins turbo training (16km)

Thursday, Oct. 12th
    Total: Glute activation exercises & foam rolling

Friday, October 13th
    Total: 5.1km (34:44)
    Avg Pace: 6:48 min/km
    Splits: 6:52, 6:41, 6:47, 6:46, 6:53
    Avg HR: 134 bpm
    Comments: Didn't enjoy this at all, very nervous of the knee and the pace felt much harder than it should have. Major panic about my marathon chances. First night running in the dark since March, time to dust off the head torch. Followed up with Glute activation and foam rolling.

Saturday, Oct 14th
    Total: Glute activation exercises & foam rolling

Sunday, Oct 15th
    Total: 8.1km (52:22)
    Avg Pace: 6:28 min/km
    Splits: 6:26, 6:30, 6:23, 6:25, 6:23, 6:22, 6:50, 6:22, 6:51 (.1)
    Avg HR: 145 bpm
    Comments: Dark and damp night but i enjoyed this so much more than Friday night’s run. Pace was lovely and comfortable. Followed up with glute work and foam rolling.

Comments: 13km/8m total. Still in a good bit of pain in the knee at the start of the week, still limping. Physio on Wed did a good bit of deep tissue work along the ITB & down along the peroneals. He also did some dry needling in the same areas. The leg felt fairly dead after it. But Thursday I was definitely moving better. Back to Physio on Friday, not quite as torturous as Wednesday and i got the go-ahead to try 3m easy on Friday evening or Saturday. Week finished a lot better than it started, feeling cautiously optimistic about toeing the line on the 29th :)

Monday, Oct 16th

Tuesday, Oct 17th
    Total: 7.5km (47:26)
    Avg Pace: 6:19 min/km
    Splits: 6:27, 6:14, 6:24, 6:13, 6:18, 6:12, 6:23, 6:27 (.5)
    Avg HR: 142 bpm
    Comments: No issues on this run, running with friends for the 1st time in around 2 months, it was a battle to keep the pace down with them but it felt easy all the time, chatting pace :)
    Followed up with glute activation, stretching and foam rolling.

Wednesday, Oct 18th
    Total: 13.46 km (1:31:26)
    Avg Pace: 6:47 min/km
    Splits: 6:48, 6:30, 6:35, 6:40, 6:37, 6:37, 6:47, 7:06, 7:03, 7:13, 7:16, 6:48, 6:28, 6:23 (457m)
    Avg HR: 141 bpm
    Comments: Aim here was 10 miles very easy emphasis being on time on my feet, unfortunately i got into trouble from about 4.5m, my knee started to get tight and then the pain set in. Slowed down a lot but and was able to keep going til i got back to my car which was just over 8m. Rather p*ssed off after this run, hard to see myself running another 18 miles in 10 days time :(

Followed up with glute activation, stretching & lots of RICE.

Thursday, Oct. 19th
    Total: Glute activation & gentle foam rolling.

Friday, October 20th
    Total: Physio & RICE
    Comments: Physio worked quite hard on the hamstrings and ITB again. Tough session. Taped up the knee & hamstring. Suggested 5m on Sunday and 5/6m next Tuesday/Wednesday, both to pain free or else definitely no marathon attempt. It’s 50/50 now :(

Saturday, Oct 21st
    Total: Glute activation exercises, stretching & foam rolling - all done twice AM & PM

Sunday, Oct 22nd
    Total: 8.15km (53:59)
    Avg. Pace: 6:37 min/km
    Splits: 6:44, 6:34, 6:30, 6:34, 6:42, 6:36, 6:34, 6:50, 6:15 (.15)
    Avg. HR: 155 bpm
    Comments: Nervous heading out for this but it was a lovely day for it and i felt pretty good from the start, legs felt loose & free. And ultimately was a pain free run unless you count the million and one niggles i am now feeling in every part of my body :eek: HR on the high side, head cold to blame for that (to add to my woes :rolleyes:). Drinking lots of fresh ginger & lemon tea but maybe i need something stronger.

Followed this run up with a cryotherapy bath again.

Glute activation, stretching, foam rolling etc in the AM & PM again :)

Comments: 29km/18m. What can i say, it was a roller-coaster of a week and i still don’t know if i’ll be lining up next Sunday or not, watch this space i guess :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You're doing everything you can to get yourself there so fair play. Fingers crossed for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

I can only imagine the rollercoaster of emotions! I know it's still a bit of a wait-and-see but it's great to hear that the run yesterday went well, and hopefully that means good things for Sunday! God knows you've earned the chance to line up and give it your best go, really hope it works out that way for you :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Ariana I hope you make the starting line on Sunday. I have been following your training and can read how much it means to you to do DCM. Great to read that yesterday's run went well for you. I have my fingers crossed for you for Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,312 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Hope you have a good week this week and fingers crossed that you'll be good to go on Sunday.

Catching up on your knee troubles here, Ariana... really hoping you make it... how's it looking now??

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Rururun

Have everything crossed for you - your log is a great read and I’d love to make such amazing progress over a year! Hope the knee behaves!

You're doing everything you can to get yourself there so fair play. Fingers crossed for you.
    eyrie wrote: »
    I can only imagine the rollercoaster of emotions! I know it's still a bit of a wait-and-see but it's great to hear that the run yesterday went well, and hopefully that means good things for Sunday! God knows you've earned the chance to line up and give it your best go, really hope it works out that way for you :)
    gypsylee wrote: »
    Ariana I hope you make the starting line on Sunday. I have been following your training and can read how much it means to you to do DCM. Great to read that yesterday's run went well for you. I have my fingers crossed for you for Sunday.
    Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    Hope you have a good week this week and fingers crossed that you'll be good to go on Sunday.

Thank you, thank you, thank you :)
    annapr wrote: »
    Catching up on your knee troubles here, Ariana... really hoping you make it... how's it looking now??

Physio again today but i doubt he will do very much except tape it up again. I'll admit I'm nervous, very very nervous. It's a mechanical issue caused by weak muscles (glutes/core) and impact so it could potentially seize up again, Physio can't give any guarantees but he's given me good advice for trying to get moving again if it happens and the key is to control my pace to lessen the impact :cool:
    Rururun wrote: »
    Have everything crossed for you - your log is a great read and I’d love to make such amazing progress over a year! Hope the knee behaves!

Thank you so much and welcome back to the logs, i look forward to following your progress too ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Younganne

wishing you all the best for Sunday, keep the pace slow and you will get to the finish line but enjoy it and don't worry about the time...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Good luck Ariana, hope that knee is going to behave itself. Enjoy the day - and McGrattans afterwards!

Younganne wrote: »
    wishing you all the best for Sunday, keep the pace slow and you will get to the finish line but enjoy it and don't worry about the time...
    Thank you :) And best of luck to you with the pacing gig also. We may meet yet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Best of luck on Sunday Ariana! Hope the knee behaves itself and you get to really enjoy the day after the months of hard work! Whatever happens you deserve to feel very proud but I hope the occasion lives up to it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭gypsylee

Looking forward to reading your race report.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Best of Luck on Sunday Ariana, you have a great attitude , I hope the body holds up for you, Looking forward to the race report.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭chickey2

Best of luck! Enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

The Muppet wrote: »
    Best of Luck on Sunday Ariana, you have a great attitude , I hope the body holds up for you, Looking forward to the race report.

Plus one to this! The very best of luck on Sunday. I'll be out, cheering you on. Enjoy!

Take it easy Ariana and hopefully it will work out on the day. Wishing you the very best of luck!

Best wishes for Sunday - hope it all goes to plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭El Caballo

All the best Ariana, hope you have a good one, enjoy!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Best of luck tomorrow, have a great day!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

You've well and truly earned your place. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Holy heck, Ariana'! You did it! You're a marathon runner! Huge congratulations :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Congrats Ariana! Sorry I missed you afterwards.

Advertisement