Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2017

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

nhunter100 wrote: »
    257k on the live register not including those hidden on various schemes. You have a link to maybe 200k odd jobs these people can apply for?

UK, Austrailia, Canada, Middle east. Never on the dole a day in my life. There is no excuse other than laziness why someone won't get off their hole and go and find work wherever it might be at.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Musketeer4

Maybe I'm just being a bit slow here... But how are they a drain on society?
    So... Every smoker in Ireland is on the social with a medical card?

So no one who works and pays their own way (including medical bills) actually smokes?

They are a drain because they get sick quicker and everyone else has to pay for their treatment.

SW heads are more likely to smoke more than normal people and we definitely have to pay for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Maybe I'm just being a bit slow here... But how are they a drain on society?
    So... Every smoker in Ireland is on the social with a medical card?

So no one who works and pays their own way (including medical bills) actually smokes?

They've also paid more then their fair share in taxes when purchasing the smokes..

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

leahyl wrote: »
    What a load of rubbish this first time buyers grant is - only if you buy a new build and you have to have a mortgage of at least 80%.

So, basically I have been saving for a house for the past 6 years and missed the boat when houses were going for a good price and now that prices have skyrocketed I can no longer afford to buy a decent 3 bed semi even with the amount of savings I have. This grant then comes in and basically only looks after people who have a big enough mortgage - encouraging people to take out bigger mortgages if you want to avail of the tax back!!! I want to take out as low a mortgage as possible so if I thought that I would get money back by throwing all my savings into buying (and I don't want to buy a new build either) it would be very attractive - what's there for people like me in the middle who have savings but still not enough to buy a house (ie. if I did it would be difficult to "kit out" said house as all my savings would be gone)

SIGH, frustrating to say the least.

80% or more. It's saying people who pay 25% deposits don't apply. Basically if you can afford to pay a larger deposit than the minimum required you are not eligible.

The 10% of 220k + 20% of the remainder still applies.

If for example you are buying a new house at 300k, the deposit would be:

Current rules: 38k

New rules: 38k, of which the government will pay up to 15k (depending on how much tax you have paid the last 5 years), which means YOU only need 23k.

maupat wrote: »
    Is this income refund linked to the price of the home rather than the earnings of the buyer?

5% of the value of the property, up to a max of €20,000. But it also depends on your tax payments in the previous 5 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 medi_bai

Dunno if its been mentioned yet but the average full time worker on 45k gets about €225 a year more. A social welfare recipient gets €260 a year. not including the christmas bonus of €195 for pensioners and €164 for other recipients.

Madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Musketeer4 wrote: »
    They are a drain because they get sick quicker and everyone else has to pay for their treatment.

SW heads are more likely to smoke more than normal people and we definitely have to pay for them.

I'll ask again, what about alcohol? Should we be increasing the cost of that exponentially too?

Hell, let's go further and increase the cost of unhealthy and fattening foods so we can stop obese people having heart-attacks and ending up in hospital?

What you're basically saying here is you want to make something so unsustainable that it completely limits a person's lifestyle choice just so you can feel better that you as a taxpayer aren't paying money for them in hospital in the chance that happens. Not sure you comprehend the idea of a democracy.

UK, Austrailia, Canada, Middle east. Never on the dole a day in my life. There is no excuse other than laziness why someone won't get off their hole and go and find work wherever it might be at.

There are numerous excuses, and this is from someone who has never been on the dole in my life. I know numerous people on the dole who are constantly hunting for jobs and cannot get one. To brand everyone on SW as being 'lazy' is ignorant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The media ( well RTE radio ) is desperately trying to stir up some controversy over the child care subsidiarity trying to pit the stay at home parent against the working parents very lame effort. Phillip Boucher Hays come across as a slightly oily obsequies presenter.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

lawred2 wrote: »
    I would imagine that there's loads..

A lot of new build projects in West Dublin are largely aimed at the sub 400k bracket are they not?

Plenty of houses below 400k, obviously not in the centre of city or the leafy suburbs of Blackrock but there are plenty out now. New development in Citywest at the moment. All below 400k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,188 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

But how does everyone else have to pay?
    Like we both get it if we're talking about people on the medical card. But what about people who work and smoke?

They have to pay their own medical bills.

Cina wrote: »
    in Dublin? Sweet feck all up here my friend.

There's a new development in Citywest, all under 400k. At least they were yesterday!

I'll ask again, what about alcohol? Should we be increasing the cost of that exponentially too?

Hell, let's go further and increase the cost of unhealthy and fattening foods so we can stop obese people having heart-attacks and ending up in hospital?

What you're basically saying here is you want to make something so unsustainable that it completely limits a person's lifestyle choice just so you can feel better that you as a taxpayer aren't paying money for them in hospital in the chance that happens. Not sure you comprehend the idea of a democracy.

So agree with you here Cina. If you visit an A&E on Friday or Saturday night I would say 80% of the visitors have a problem caused by alcohol not cigarettes. So give that the same logic then alcohol should be put up 3 fold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

Yes they should be €20 as far as I'm concerned. Smokers are a drain on society when they inevitably get ill from it and expect the rest of us to pay for their hospital bills.

I've smoked 20+ cigarettes per day for over 30 years. If you calculate the amount of tax I've paid on cigarettes over the years, I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have paid far, far more into the system than I'll ever get out of it.

I've been unemployed for maybe three months out of the past 30 years, so I've paid all the other taxes too.

Non-smokers should be grateful for the fact that smokers pay so much tax. We aren't the only ones who use hospital services you know :mad:

They won't put up alcohol because it's much more popular than smoking.

Nobody likes smokers, they are a much easier target.

pilly wrote: »
    So agree with you here Cina. If you visit an A&E on Friday or Saturday night I would say 80% of the visitors have a problem caused by alcohol not cigarettes. So give that the same logic then alcohol should be put up 3 fold.
    Glad you agree, but it's not even based on opinion. Research has proven that alcohol is a far greater cost to the economy than smoking or any other substance! Which is why I always find it hilarious that non smokers (and I am a non smoker) who drink take such a hard stance on smoking, that it should be eradicated and those who do it no longer be given a choice.

I've smoked 20+ cigarettes per day for over 30 years. If you calculate the amount of tax I've paid on cigarettes over the years, I have no doubt whatsoever that I will have paid far, far more into the system than I'll ever get out of it.

I've been unemployed for maybe three months out of the past 30 years, so I've paid all the other taxes too.

Non-smokers should be grateful for the fact that smokers pay so much tax. We aren't the only ones who use hospital services you know :mad:

Smoke less or quit.

At the end of the day it's still a completely voluntary tax to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Because everyone unemployed has no strings attached and can just up sticks and travel the globe to work :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Plenty of genuine cases on social welfare not just lazy people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

A whole fiver eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Musketeer4 wrote:

Emigration is not an option for everyone. Rest of your post is BS I'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,016 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Just quit if you don't like paying so much tax, its entirely on your own back.

awec wrote: »
    Smoke less or quit.

At the end of the day it's still a completely voluntary tax to pay.

Perfect answer. I'll just stop right now so! Why didn't I think of this before!

rob316 wrote: »

Yeah you wuss, just quit, it's not like you've been smoking one of the most addictive substances on earth for 30 years that's more difficult to give up than most grade A drugs or anything!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,893 ✭✭✭Cheerful Spring

mickdw wrote: »
    Agree 100%.
    I also believe that short term increased payments should be available for those who lose their job reducing to base rate over maybe 4 months or so.
    Every long termer on the dole should be put on a work scheme. No free money. So young person getting around 100 dole should work 11 hours at minimum wage rate, hours worked increasing with amount of welfare payment.

That been happening for years now. You must know Social Welfare has been privatised for years now. The Irish government hired private companies to engage with unemployed people on a regular basis. Unemployed people don't sit on their ass any more they have to attend meetings every week., sometimes twice a week and show they are looking for work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Just on Matt Cooper we have the highest payments to able aged non working people in the world.

Wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

Yeah you wuss, just quit, it's not like you've been smoking one of the most addictive substances on earth for 30 years that's more difficult to give up than most grade A drugs or anything!

Yeah, because no one has ever managed to quit smoking before. It's completely impossible and never been done.

Take some personable responsibility and stop smoking. No ones forcing you to smoke.

rob316 wrote: »

See my previous reply.

Jesus, it's so easy for non-smokers to come out with absolute cr@p like this. Did none of ye ever realise it's an extremely strong addiction that more often than not began at a young age, before we were old enough to know any better?

We're just an easy target - slap an extra 50c on fags, sure who cares apart from those poor, deluded smokers?

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Just on Matt Cooper we have the highest payments to able aged non working people in the world.

Wow.

you seem surprised by this? I thought it was very well known that our SW rates are absolutely nuts. The basic dole in the UK is £50!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭Gaillimh1976

Did the minimum wage go up 10 cent ?

Can't find any mention of it in the speeches or the media coverage, but in some of the 'Before & After' type examples on the Department of Finance website it includes the effect of increase in min wage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

JustTheOne wrote: »

Wow.

How else can they afford their cigarettes?

Advertisement