Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2017

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

sjb25 wrote:
    If I want an extra €150 at that expensive time of the year I've to go to work and work about 12 extra hours to make that away from my family but hey why would I begrudge sum body who can sit on there hole at home getting the same.........

You saying everyone who is on SW chooses that lifestyle? Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

In relation to Noonan mentioning that he will review the tax loopholes in section 110 in the funds industry; what happens next?

MeatTwoVeg wrote:
    Hope you're not planning for your retirement on that basis.

Those of us in the private sector who have planned for our retirement watched as the pervious government raided our pensions. Doesn't really encourage you to plan ahead when the government can decide to rob you of the funds you have set aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

We're 17 euro a week better off, better than a kick in the hole, but would have preferred to see USC go altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Gandalph wrote: »
    In relation to Noonan mentioning that he will review the tax loopholes in section 110 in the funds industry; what happens next?

Is Noonan fit for the job at all? he was doing some shaking giving his speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Min wage gone up a massive 10c per hour. Scandalous :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

nhunter100 wrote: »

Not everyone like I said I was on the dole I didn't but sure as hell is a lot who do and they don't deserve a bonus I didn't expect one when I was on the dole I didn't get one why should they its not nice being on the dole but to make things better you go get a job!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

It depends on the industry and if they had kept their skills fresh if that was required (e.g would not be for admin more than likely, but would be required for IT). If it were the case that "noone hires long term unemployed" then mothers who have gone back to work would never get a job again, if they decided to take a career break to stay at home.
    You can't just take it as black and white like that. I am talking about long-term career dole-rs here. If you think that they don't exist and all can't work due to "mental health" issues then you are living under a rock, sorry!

Oh I know they exist, but it's like the recruiter who was on Marion Finucane's programme a couple of years ago. He was telling everyone how marvellous and great he was. When he has a role to fill he gets the list of applicants and the first cut is anyone not working. Doesn't even look at their CV's.
    He was asked why, and his response was, I need to reduce the CV's I have to look at and that's the first step.

That attitude is not isolated

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Those of us in the private sector who have planned for our retirement watched as the pervious government raided our pensions. Doesn't really encourage you to plan ahead when the government can decide to rob you of the funds you have set aside.

When did this happen?

The NPRF was funded from the public purse.

But we are back at nearly full employment now according to the latest figures, so, in general, the option is (should be ) there

Full employment is classed as 4% last I head it had dipped slightly below 8% . That's still a big difference. Represents almost 200k people. Last I checked there was not 200k vacancies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

You saying that nobody on SW chooses that lifestyle ? Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I don't work and that will make feck all difference to me.

Now if you don't mind I have another 4 hours of trawling through job sites scheduled for today.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You obviously didn't hear about the €5 tax on needless threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,178 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

People working for ~€40,000 p.a. are getting about a fiver a week as well, with the adjustments to the USC rates. Yay! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

For real?. Back on the scratcher I go. So long suckers......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Joshua J wrote: »
    For real?. Back on the scratcher I go. So long suckers......

Dont worry, they'll be getting €3.50 of it back from your 20 a day habit.

The NPRF was funded from the public purse.

The pervious government imposed a levy for 4 years on private pension funds.
    The NPRF is nothing got to do with the private sector other than taking tax payer money and putting it into that fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

sjb25 wrote: »
    Not everyone like I said I was on the dole I didn't but sure as hell is a lot who do and they don't deserve a bonus I didn't expect one when I was on the dole I didn't get one why should they its not nice being on the dole but to make things better you go get a job!!!

Subtitles anyone?

Swanner wrote:

257k on the live register not including those hidden on various schemes. You have a link to maybe 200k odd jobs these people can apply for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

PARlance wrote: »
    You obviously didn't hear about the €5 tax on needless threads.

Kneemos is rich..... rich beyond his/her wildest dreams!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Kal El

Swanner wrote: »
    Well done you.. :rolleyes:

Yes I do. They get free money all year. If that's not enough for them they always have the option to find a job and earn it instead.

I work extremely hard to make sure it's not but then i suppose that's the difference between those of us who choose to work and those of use who don't.

Im going to be that guy to say you lost this argument, sorry sunshine

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭railer201

Must be Fiver Tuesday - where's Joe ?

Swanner wrote:

If the lifestyle is so great why are you working?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Pretty disappointing to see the focus on pensions in the SW aspect. That payment is ultimately a free for all even if some already have pretty healthy private pensions too.

I find the 9% subsidy tax for hostipality to be rather unfair too. The industry has completely recovered, now it's just lining the pockets of hotel owners in Dublin...

There has been almost no courageous decision that stands out for me. I would only have increased the job seeker allowance by 2 euro this year and start the increase in January, same with the pension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

Let's be honest, anyone on the dole for over 5 years has no intention of working. There's plenty of jobs out there for those who want them.

SW should be a safety net, not a lifestyle choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Pension €5, Dole €5, Average Worker €5.
    There you have it, the Fiver Budget.

Means fcuk all to everyone on an individual basis but will cost the Country a whole pile. They should have just forgot about changing anything and put the savings towards reducing the National Debt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

257k on the live register not including those hidden on various schemes. You have a link to maybe 200k odd jobs these people can apply for?

Why do we need half a million foreign workers to work in the service industry etc if we have all these Irish people looking for work?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

If the lifestyle is so great why are you working?

You genuinely think that everyone on SW wants a job. You're being ridiculous. So many make a choice to be on it because you can get everything that goes with it. Rent allowance, free house, heating bonus half the year and a horse in your garden

• Advertisement

MeatTwoVeg wrote:
    Let's be honest, anyone on the dole for over 5 years has no intention of working. There's plenty of jobs out there for those who want them.

During the height of the boom there was 120k on SW: job seekers/ long term illness etc about 4% was the official figure. There is now according to the CSO 257k on the live register excluding all those on schemes. How many job vacancies throughout the state do you think there is?

Advertisement