Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budget 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

very ho hum budget, little happening in reality

• Registered Users Posts: 16,011 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

seamus wrote: »
    Seriously though, what is anyone expecting in a budget? Your income to increase by a meal out every week?

This is how most changes go. Even in the recession, personal taxation only caused small drops in income when viewed from a weekly point of view.

The price of a pint per week is still €260 per year. Which nobody would throw back at you and complain it's not enough.

I understand it's just frustrating to your take home pay is not that much greater than it was 8 or 9 years ago even though the gross has increased quiet a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It seems a lot of stuff has just been kicked down along the road in the hope that the government survives to the next and subsequent budgets. not really a budget more a pre election giveaway for the welfare people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭nhunter100

Swanner wrote:
    Yet i'm contributing half my wages every month so that these wasters can get one for just showing up to collect their free money every week ?

No one pays 50% of their wages in taxes, the first 33,500 is taxed at 20% then 41% after that. Less of the hyperbole.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,328 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So, people aged 18-55 on 40k, how shafted do you feel right now.

There was absolutely nothing in that budget for middle income earners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Lenny wrote: »
    The MIR being extended from 2017 to 2020,dos that mean people who took our mortgages before 2012 will keep getting relief at source? Doesn't mention what the interest rate would be?

Reading the changes they made in budget 2012 I would say yes those mortgages are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

niallo27 wrote: »
    I understand it's just frustrating to your take home pay is not that much greater than it was 8 or 9 years ago even though the gross has increased quiet a bit.

Be thankful it isn't 50% less than it was eight or nine years ago.

If they gave you a bit more today, they would only have to think up some other sneaky levy or charge to get it back. This saves the hassle

Vicxas wrote: »

USC reductions will help

but in general , most people are in the middle and the Gov needs all your taxes

sorry !!

( PS wait till we see the LPT rises ouch )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭chasm

First time buyers grant apply to those building their own house?

Page 46 covers the Help to Buy scheme
    http://www.budget.gov.ie/Budgets/2017/Documents/Budget%202017%20-%20Full%20document.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

nhunter100 wrote: »
    You're in the wrong job, I'm working for the same company for 20 years bonus every Christmas multiples of what the social welfare recipients get .

Well done you.. :rolleyes:
    You begrudge people an extra 150 euro roughly at the most expensive time of the year.

Yes I do. They get free money all year. If that's not enough for them they always have the option to find a job and earn it instead.
    You might be unlucky enough that it could be you next year.

I work extremely hard to make sure it's not but then i suppose that's the difference between those of us who choose to work and those of use who don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Only good thing to come out of the budget is the mortgage interest relief has been extended to 2020.

Does that apply to me if I were to draw down my mortgage in the morning

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

kazamo wrote:
    A lot of monopolies usually are

Lose argument.
    Move goalposts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

But like the late late show ' there's a €5 a week for pensioners. An oh by the way, there's a €5 a week for everyone else on sw as well. (Oddly enough the % increase is actually smaller for pensioners than the other receipients)

I didn't hear anything about child benefit, did I miss it?

On the ciggies, I'd brexit happens cheapie to Gatwick, and you should save €50 a trip on a sleeve on ciggies.

we're 6 euros per week better off, OMG, now waiting to see how baldy grabs that 24 euros off me again

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭LegallyAbroad

Vicxas wrote: »

Not that shafted. I'm a single man (not married, no children) in my late 20s. I'm doing fine. I live in one of the best places in the world to live in peace, on a decent wage. I don't mind tax for people not doing so okay. Some day I'll be a pensioner and some guy in his 20s will have to pay for me. Maybe something will happen to me and I'll become disabled/unemployed and someone will have to pay for me sooner than that.

The woe is me from some people is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

kazamo wrote: »
    If you were hiring for a position and ten CV's of similar experience\qualifications came in and one was long term unemployed.

Would you call the unemployed person for interview.
    And be honest

It depends on the industry and if they had kept their skills fresh if that was required (e.g would not be for admin more than likely, but would be required for IT). If it were the case that "noone hires long term unemployed" then mothers who have gone back to work would never get a job again, if they decided to take a career break to stay at home.
    You can't just take it as black and white like that. I am talking about long-term career dole-rs here. If you think that they don't exist and all can't work due to "mental health" issues then you are living under a rock, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Some day I'll be a pensioner and some guy in his 20s will have to pay for me.

Why ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

You begrudge people an extra 150 euro roughly at the most expensive time of the year.

If I want an extra €150 at that expensive time of the year I've to go to work and work about 12 extra hours to make that away from my family but hey why would I begrudge sum body who can sit on there hole at home getting the same.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

. Some day I'll be a pensioner and some guy in his 20s will have to pay for me.

Hope you're not planning for your retirement on that basis.

Swanner wrote:
    I work extremely hard to make sure it's not but then i suppose that's the difference between those of us who choose to work and those of use who don't.

Maybe you missed it but there was a recession and not everyone as you like to claim choose the dole, it was imposed on them.

• Advertisement

Swanner wrote:
    Well done you..

Thanks.;-)

Swanner wrote: »
    Why ?

Because I'll have a free bus pass, and a possibly a medical card, and will use multiple services such as Gardaí, Hospitals etc., but will be paying no income tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,828 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Maybe you missed it but there was a recession and not everyone as you like to claim choose the dole, it was imposed on them.

But we are back at nearly full employment now according to the latest figures, so, in general, the option is (should be ) there

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

joeysoap wrote: »
    On the ciggies, I'd brexit happens cheapie to Gatwick, and you should save €50 a trip on a sleeve on ciggies.

What exactly are you expecting when "Brexit happens"?
    Ciggies are more or less the same price in the UK at present.

foggy_lad wrote:
    It seems a lot of stuff has just been kicked down along the road in the hope that the government survives to the next and subsequent budgets. not really a budget more a pre election giveaway for the welfare people.

There will be an election before next September. FF are already positioning themselves on an election footing. FG are idiots if they don't say goodbye to Kenny by April/May.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Because I'll have a free bus pass, and a possibly a medical card, and will use multiple services such as Gardaí, Hospitals etc., but will be paying no income tax.

Wouldn't count on it.

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    Hope you're not planning for your retirement on that basis.

I'm not planning on the state pension, if that's what you mean. I'll still likely be a non-contributor to the exchequer past a certain age. Even in I won't be, I was costing the Exchequer from 0-22 (working part-time/summers is unlikely to make one a contributor overall), so I've a good few years to make up before I can start complaining about people who cost the state more than they contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭sjb25

I was on the dole during that recession fair enough it was imposed on me yes for about 6 months but I got no Xmas bonus I got up I got a job and moved on I pass the dole que often and I see a lot of the same faces o stood beside 3 years ago....... So don't bulsh1t and say they just can't get a job they ant be arsed maybe I'm the bigger fool working to give my family everything

awec wrote: »
    Wouldn't count on it.

Wouldn't count on their being a police force or hospitals?

Well, I suppose we'll all have bigger problems, in that case.

• Advertisement

BoatMad wrote:
    we're 6 euros per week better off, OMG, now waiting to see how baldy grabs that 24 euros off me again

LPT. There you go.

Advertisement