Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clusters of upsetting dreams

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

I'm back having a run of dreams that leave me confused and often upset when i wake, however my recollection is pretty weak..
    Places notepad and pen on Grem's bedside table.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Just had my "clusters of upsetting dreams" nightmare revisit me last night. Was in my locale javahouse pouring in a bit of cream in coffee, turned away for just a moment to do so, and when I returned to my table my netbook was gone. Such dreams influence my awake behaviour to such an extent that I never leave my netbook out-of-sight for a moment. Silly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,063 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Nightmare cluster

Friend's nightmare. Talks about it. Bothered. Dream influencing awake moods. The power of dreams.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

I had an incredibly real, vivid dream where I was in Kerry (I don't know why the dream decided it was Kerry) for a few days. It was deep countryside. I went for a walk down a tree lined lane with a brown wooden fence on either side. The sky was aglow with a vivid molten orange sunset but there would still be plenty of light for hours. I was filled with wonder at the beauty of it and especially the wildlife, which was astonishingly tame. A fox emerged from the hedgerow and calmly crossed the road right at my feet. I was really excited and happy.
    Then a mink and a badger wandered by. I think there was a roan horse grazing by the fence, and a wild boar piglet gambolled happily past. It was getting very surreal. I encountered six wild boar, the biggest of them all a great hulking beast. She was the mother. They seemed very placid around me. Suddenly the mother boar lost her temper and head butted me and threw me up in the air so I was precariously half on and half off the wooden fence with the very angry boar beneath me. I knew she was going to attack and kill me but two women appeared, one a middle aged woman with short blonde hair and a gun. She looked grim and walked over and shot the boar through its mouth. I felt awful because it had had piglets. I told her I would have tried to fight it off.

From the moment I closed my eyes in the early hours, I fell straight into dark dreams, or dreams like that one that started out delightfully and quickly turned dark.

I also kept suddenly glancing here and there in a dream and seeing people I know standing stock still and staring at me, almost staring through me.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

From the moment I closed my eyes in the early hours, I fell straight into dark dreams, or dreams like that one that started out delightfully and quickly turned dark.
    Dreams such as these you are experiencing Widdershins, if you expanded them a bit, would make for grand short-short fictional stories for publication online or paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Thursday Night

I will preface this by stating that I've been watching The Handmaid's Tale recently, so I feel that this was a partial cause of the dream.

In the dream, I don't know if I was a "character" or just that I was observing it. There was this sort of cult that was obsessed with giving birth to children. People were being paired up etc. Sort of like eugenics now that I think of it. The conception and actual birth weren't witnessed in it, just a lot of pregnant people hanging around picnic tables in a wooded area. Some of them were recorded being interviewed. There was a nice enough feeling

The dream transitioned into an empty house. People were carefully searching the house for something. Suddenly this big gush of this bright blue ooze sloshed from the corner of a room. In the ooze there was a couple of this alien looking babies in a sort of gel capsule. Also in the ooze was a boy (about 14 years old maybe) and a grown man in what looked like modern versions of those old time diving suits with the big helmets. The people started to collect the alien looking babies and rip open their capsules. The man removed his helmet and started screaming "Where's Ismael?! Where's Ismael?!" while searching through the goo. The babies were all crying. No one was attending to them as they all frantically searched in the goo. A sense of panic startled me awake and it took the best part of the morning to shake it off.

Perhaps Hugo and Widdershins should get together and write an anthology of nightmares for online publication? Collect them here, expand them a bit...

I can see it. Near future. Retail bookstore. Hugo and Widdershins book signings. Long line of adoring readers. Wanting their Nightmare Anthology authored by Hugo and Widdershins signed. Collector's books.

I'll buy the book too, so Hugo and Widdershins you've already got your first sale.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭Shannon757

Black Swan wrote: »
    I'll buy the book too, so Hugo and Widdershins you've already got your first sale.

Make that two.

Had one of those dreams where you are dreaming that you are dreaming, and left quite confused upon waking. Whenever this happens I'm reminded of the film Lady Hawke and the script that spins about this dilemma.

Ladyhawke. Dreaming that you're dreaming. Or not. Meme to remember.

I've forgotten my dreams but I did notice that having applied Badger Balm or Tiger Balm to my skin before going to be seemed to induce more vivid, heady dreams than usual. I'm tired in the mornings after them.

Taking exams. Dreaming exams.

Fathom wrote: »
    Taking exams. Dreaming exams.

They're the worst dreams. *hugs*

Best of luck in your exams. x :)

Exams end Thursday. Will exam nightmares?

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭LincolnHawk

Exams end Thursday. Will exam nightmares?
    Probably not.
    I had a recurring dream that I hadn't sat my finals yet. I still have the dream from time to time despite graduating over 10 years ago

Over-prep. Do OK. Still worry. Recurrent exam dreams. Until they're done. After that I seek release. Motto: Work hard. Play hard. Here's looking for play. Weekend.

Exams end today. Pressure almost off. Dream content my change?

• Advertisement

Sleep patterns disrupted following exam week. Groggy dream. Stumbling about. No coherence. Random dream thoughts. Class. Exams. Houseparty. Stuffing my face with Bar-B-Q. Drinking too much. Waking groggy. Feeling hungover. Both real and make-believe.

Escape from New York. Watched film. Later dreamed. No president to save. Just me. Chased. Tripped. Hit. Kept trying to climb wall. Awoke.

Cannot remember. Recurrent theme. Recall foggy. Should have written it down.

I dreamt last night that my father was going to go watch two groups of elderly football hooligans fight. I went for a drive along the coast with my mother when a tsunami hit. It was very small though: only about a foot or two of water covering the road. We drove through the water and reached a hilly suburban area. I saw one of the elderly football hooligans finish beating the absolute **** out of a female coworker of mine before heading towards my dad, who was trapped by a locked gate at the end of an alley. I jumped out of the car with a tomahawk and ran to save my dad. I jumped between my dad and the football hooligan. The football hooligan took my tomahawk off me and handed me a big fireman's axe and a gurkha fighting knife. Despite his age, he was very intimidating and I was terrified. In a patronising tone, he said that he'd start off the fight easy and did a gentle slow poke towards me with the tomahawk that he took off me. With the fireman's axe in my left hand, I swung sharply downwards which caused him to drop the tomahawk and I thrust the gurkha knife into his chest. I instantly awoke kicking and gasping.

I barely remember. I'd notice the room I sleep in abruptly going very dark, the furniture would change, the whole room looked different. It was bigger, with large bay windows with heavy, dusty curtains part-drawn. Metal bedsteads with other peoples clothing thrown over the footboards. A muted jewel-tone pashmina draped over one. Possibly a bicycle in the room! I realised I was in a once grand but lately very dilapidated and creepy hotel. I don't remember what happened in the dream but I know I woke a few times and each time as I fell asleep again I realised the room was darkening and the weird furniture was replacing the real furniture, and I'd think ''Oh no, it's happening again, open your eyes'' but too late, I'd be sucked back into the dream. Being sucked, pulled, dragged and falling straight down as if into a dark tunnel, into dreams, is a new thing. I think this is a new variation on good old sleep paralysis.

I went for a drive along the coast with my mother when a tsunami hit.
    Living on coast. Tsunami dreams occur. Geography influencing dream content?

I'd notice the room I sleep in abruptly going very dark, the furniture would change, the whole room looked different. It was bigger, with large bay windows with heavy, dusty curtains part-drawn.
    I watch interior design shows. Do you? Have dreamed about changing furniture. TV content influencing dreams?

I watch interior design shows. Do you? Have dreamed about changing furniture. TV content influencing dreams?

It could be something like that although I haven't watched any recently. I read a book with a lot of scenes in an empty hotel, '48 by James Herbert, so maybe that was it.

Living on coast. Tsunami dreams occur. Geography influencing dream content?

Well I'm basically on the coast here. The local beach town is only a 10 minute drive away. When I get my tsunami dreams, they always occur on the exact same stretch of beach every time.

• Advertisement

It could be something like that although I haven't watched any recently. I read a book with a lot of scenes in an empty hotel, '48 by James Herbert, so maybe that was it.
    Well I'm basically on the coast here. The local beach town is only a 10 minute drive away. When I get my tsunami dreams, they always occur on the exact same stretch of beach every time.
    Yo Widdershins & Hugo. Content of day thoughts and feelings. May influence dream content.

Advertisement