Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clusters of upsetting dreams

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Dream. Walking at night. To apartment. Being followed. Closer and closer they came. Could hear their shoes. Louder, Louder. Kept looking back. Too dark to see who it was. Awoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭B00!

Sounds frightening Fathom :(

I just awoke from a nightmare within a nightmare with a touch sleep paralysis after. Two aspects to my repetitive dreams are the frightening event itself and the inability to access help when I need it most (then I can't wake myself up!) This dream was a recurring theme, but the first nightmare about my new place since moving in.

I won't go back to sleep tonite - it was bad and totally believable, leaving me feeling too vulnerable (my night terrors are always reality based).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,049 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

B00! wrote: »
    Sounds frightening Fathom :( I just awoke from a nightmare within a nightmare
    Double nightmare. That's nightmarish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

B00! wrote: »
    Sounds frightening Fathom :(

I just awoke from a nightmare within a nightmare with a touch sleep paralysis after. Two aspects to my repetitive dreams are the frightening event itself and the inability to access help when I need it most (then I can't wake myself up!) This dream was a recurring theme, but the first nightmare about my new place since moving in.

I won't go back to sleep tonite - it was bad and totally believable, leaving me feeling too vulnerable (my night terrors are always reality based).

*hugs*

So sorry that you experienced that. :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dreaming that I was leaving for the locale javahouse and could not remember if I had locked the door to my flat. Kept walking, but the further I got away from the flat, the more worried I felt. Finally couldn't take it any longer and walked back. Awoke. Silly, bothersome dream, which seems to occur most often when I am working hard to make a work deadline (which I was before sleeping last night).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Does anyone else find that they have clusters of upsetting dreams? I find I can often have two bad dreams a night, two or three nights in a row. Common themes are rejection and humiliation. I can't identify any triggers.

Subconscious stress, that you might not be aware of or toxic guilt. 2 things people don't realize that can effect them daily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,231 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Steve012 wrote: »
    Subconscious stress, that you might not be aware of or toxic guilt. 2 things people don't realize that can effect them daily.
    When discussing "stress" influencing dreams, it may be worth mentioning the works of Hans Selye, where he differentiates between "distress" or bad stress, and "eustress," the latter type of stress that positively motivates us to be creative and achieve great things in life. Methinks that distress may be associated with nightmares, and eustress with those "lovely-mares" we would like to repeat when dreaming.

Had a recurrent dream that might be considered in a cluster, and certainly not something I would care to have repeated. Last night I was once again in a private sector job with a manager who claimed that, unlike us, he had been employed with the company for 30 years. But to look at him, he only looked 30 years old! He must of been born on the job? Typical nonsensical dream content.

Steve012 wrote: »

I have both! :D:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Woke on Saturday morning to horrible dreams about my ex boyfriend around 6am. Dozed off again but left me feeling unsettled for a few hours after that.. :(

• Advertisement

northgirl wrote: »
    Woke on Saturday morning to horrible dreams about my ex boyfriend around 6am. Dozed off again but left me feeling unsettled for a few hours after that.. :(

Shít. Sorry to hear that, NG.

Did anything bring on those dreams from the preceding day or just totally out of the blue?

It is unsettling how dreams can affect our waking lives, but they often do.

Black Swan wrote: »
    It is unsettling how dreams can affect our waking lives, but they often do.

Too often sometimes.

Too often sometimes.
    I wonder if it helps folks to talk about their upsetting dreams here? Get them off their chests so to speak?

Black Swan wrote: »
    I wonder if it helps folks to talk about their upsetting dreams here? Get them off their chests so to speak?

I find it very therapeutic to talk about them.

Shít. Sorry to hear that, NG.

Did anything bring on those dreams from the preceding day or just totally out of the blue?

Cheers :o I was moving house over the weekend so I think I was full of nerves and trepidation to do with that. The old house has a lot of bad memories so I'm hoping the new surroundings will assist with better sleeping patterns and quality.

I find it very therapeutic to talk about them.
    Hugo and others are welcome!

Cheers :o I was moving house over the weekend so I think I was full of nerves and trepidation to do with that. The old house has a lot of bad memories so I'm hoping the new surroundings will assist with better sleeping patterns and quality.
    Let us know.

Took a short nap Sunday and dreamed about clocks, many, many clocks on the same wall, and they were not for different time zones in the world, but all for Pacific time. They were all different times, and not just daylight savings time differences but some just 10 or 15 minutes different. I woke up.

Methinks that I encounter a bit of time pressure at the end of each month, because I am responsible for month-end-close, and have to do that by the close of this week. Bet such deadlines affect my dream content.

Dream. Part-time job. Working out during break. Employee gym. Part of benefits. Showered. Went to locker for clothes. Someone stole them! Walking about with towel only. Everyone staring. Making jokes. Super embarrassed. Awoke.

• Advertisement

Whew, what a dream!

Cluster dream. Earlier repeated.

I had a dream last night that really spooked me. It had a couple of confusing parts which only served to make it more disturbing.

In the dream, I was driving along a country road with a girl in the car. We were just getting to know each other. I get the impression that she was an artist of some sort, as she had some sort of art piece with her (I can't recall what exactly but it was small enough to be carried with two hands). We approached a seaside area. The sun was shining down on a beautiful long promenade. Across from the promenade at a junction was this beautiful thatched roof cottage with bright white painted walls, which in my mind at the time I believed to be her art studio. We went inside and left the art piece on a table. Upon exiting the cottage, I noticed a gentleman across the road on the promenade. He was wearing a black suit and hat, and was doing this really disturbing and unnatural dance or walk (the only way I can describe it is that it was like the flattened had guy in the Rodger Rabbit movie). As the girl and I walked to my car, I commented that her art studio was lovely. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked at me with a facial expression of grave concern, and explained that she thought that it was my art studio. I suggested that we go back and get the art piece. When we turned around the scene changed completely. The bright sunny day was replaced with dark clouds. The thatched cottage was in ruins: it was missing its roof, windows, and door. As we approached it, we saw that the inside was just full of briars. Sticking out of the briars was an old looking newspaper that was yellowish. On the front page there was a photo of the girl and I, with a headline saying that we died in a car crash. I turned around and saw the that the strange man was still dancing on the promenade. He slowly turned around and revealed a morphed demonic face. It was so disturbing that I started screaming in the dream and jumped awake in my bed kicking while making a quiet monotone "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" sound.

I didn't dare go back to sleep for a few minutes after that.

I had a dream last night that really spooked me. It had a couple of confusing parts which only served to make it more disturbing.

In the dream, I was driving along a country road with a girl in the car. We were just getting to know each other. I get the impression that she was an artist of some sort, as she had some sort of art piece with her (I can't recall what exactly but it was small enough to be carried with two hands). We approached a seaside area. The sun was shining down on a beautiful long promenade. Across from the promenade at a junction was this beautiful thatched roof cottage with bright white painted walls, which in my mind at the time I believed to be her art studio. We went inside and left the art piece on a table. Upon exiting the cottage, I noticed a gentleman across the road on the promenade. He was wearing a black suit and hat, and was doing this really disturbing and unnatural dance or walk (the only way I can describe it is that it was like the flattened had guy in the Rodger Rabbit movie). As the girl and I walked to my car, I commented that her art studio was lovely. She stopped dead in her tracks and looked at me with a facial expression of grave concern, and explained that she thought that it was my art studio. I suggested that we go back and get the art piece. When we turned around the scene changed completely. The bright sunny day was replaced with dark clouds. The thatched cottage was in ruins: it was missing its roof, windows, and door. As we approached it, we saw that the inside was just full of briars. Sticking out of the briars was an old looking newspaper that was yellowish. On the front page there was a photo of the girl and I, with a headline saying that we died in a car crash. I turned around and saw the that the strange man was still dancing on the promenade. He slowly turned around and revealed a morphed demonic face. It was so disturbing that I started screaming in the dream and jumped awake in my bed kicking while making a quiet monotone "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!" sound.

I didn't dare go back to sleep for a few minutes after that.

That's a really spooky one Hugo.:eek:

Our new Edgar Allen Poe Hugo!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Lately i find myself having scary dreams really tapping into my height and balance issues, almost all remind me of Escher's art. Impossible angles and me clinging on to polished surfaces always slipping.

Now that's an interesting cluster of upsetting dreams Grem. Makes me wonder why?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

My interpretation would be how life has been the last while, i've had accommodation problems and it's pulled the ground from under me, massive instability - seems very directly relatable

Methinks that "massive instability" would affect both our waking and dreaming lives.

• Advertisement

Exactly, technically didn't have a home so i couldn't even hold on to the stairs in my dreams

Advertisement