Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clusters of upsetting dreams

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Anyone find that sometimes the happiest of dreams can make you sad upon waking up?
    Yes indeed Hugo, that's when I want to roll over, go back to sleep, and hope to pick up where I left off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Black Swan wrote: »
    Yes indeed Hugo, that's when I want to roll over, go back to sleep, and hope to pick up where I left off.

That almost never happens here unfortunately! haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

That almost never happens here unfortunately! haha
    I had the strangest dream a couple days past. I was a cryptologist assigned to crack a message code algorithm, and there were missing parts of the mathematical code that would not appear in the message except after being baked in an oven with a dose of oestrogen hormone. This dream occurred in a very short time sequence, probably seconds, and then repeated itself about four times before I awoke.

I had the strangest dream a couple days past. I was a cryptologist assigned to crack a message code algorithm, and there were missing parts of the mathematical code that would not appear in the message except after being baked in an oven with a dose of oestrogen hormone. This dream occurred in a very short time sequence, probably seconds, and then repeated itself about four times before I awoke.

I wonder if the fact that it was baked in an oven with oestrogen and the fact that the dream kept on repeating itself. Like, was the next dream the part of the code that was missing in the preceding dream but it itself also was missing parts.

I wonder if the fact that it was baked in an oven with oestrogen and the fact that the dream kept on repeating itself. Like, was the next dream the part of the code that was missing in the preceding dream but it itself also was missing parts.
    With the intensity of real world work this week, perhaps my mind was baked?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

Spring break. Need one? Shake off nightmares. Works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

A man in armour guarding the door of a house clad in stone that looked like a small, fat castle, with a broad sword. My friend Rita lived there. Her children came out and the man walked with them to her car. I thought he seemed a bit thick (that was my exact thought, ''a bit thick'') but obviously delighted to be doing his job and not likely to run away from any dangers.It wasn't fully dark but a very dark, overcast light. Huge planes flying overhead and circling for a long time, with a red glare/haze of chemicals seeping out of them and turning the sky red around them. I was suddenly talking to a platinum blonde woman at her stall where she sold bottles of chemicals and hair dyes. One had fallen down and was spilling red liquid but she didn't seem to care. My boyfriend appeared on my right hand side but I could only see him out of the corner of my eye. He was asking her what colour hair dye was the spilled liquid. I noticed the red stuff in the sky was getting worse and mentioned creepy red glare from massive planes and she shrugged. By now I realised the planes were supposed to be bringing ''stuff we all need''. She was telling me something in song lyrics and when I asked her what she meant her mouth dropped open and she said ''It's Phantom!'' and looked at me in shock because I didn't know. I'm still wondering which band or song she meant. There was a strong surreal feeling of something bad happening but nobody else seemed to notice or care.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

I definitely had a cluster of upsetting dreams last night! Three separate nightmares in one night ffs!

Baked like a bun in the oven :eek:

A man in armour guarding the door of a house clad in stone that looked like a small, fat castle, with a broad sword.
    The Game of Thrones suddenly popped into my mind when I first read this, but then as often occurs, the content of your dream shifted.

• Advertisement

Lorelli! wrote: »
    I definitely had a cluster of upsetting dreams last night! Three separate nightmares in one night ffs!
    Please do share them, and if others do too, we can have our own little Edgar Allen Poe story forum in Sleeping and Dreaming.

Our perhaps Black Swan was chasing her tail akin to dream repetition Hugo?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,097 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

My imagination spins! :eek:

Perhaps! :D
    Fathom wrote: »
    Spring break. Need one? Shake off nightmares. Works for me.

Glad to hear it! :)

Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Would you like to share them? It might help diminish their lingering negativeness. No pressure though of course. :)

Tee hee :D
    Our perhaps Black Swan was chasing her tail akin to dream repetition Hugo?

Perhaps! :D

Hugo's next dream story? Soon?

Please do share them, and if others do too, we can have our own little Edgar Allen Poe story forum in Sleeping and Dreaming.
    Oh no! Sorry to hear that. Would you like to share them? It might help diminish their lingering negativeness. No pressure though of course. :)

I dont remember much of them now tbh. One of them, I have no memory of at all, just waking up and thinking "ugh another nightmare?". The other all I can remember is a snippet and it was one about an old job and my boss was giving out to me because I'd made a huge mistake.

The most vivid one, I think I had sleep paralysis with, which I've had a few times but not often. Anyway there were people arguing outside my house and lights flashing in the windows and lots of noise. I was in my own bed in the dream, i mean in the dream, I was where I actually was irl but i couldnt move to go check what was going on outside. Doesnt really sound that bad but it felt like it at the time :/

The most vivid one, I think I had sleep paralysis with, which I've had a few times but not often.
    You had a sleep paralysis dream? I've heard about those, but never personally experienced one.

You had a sleep paralysis dream? I've heard about those, but never personally experienced one.

Really? I thought most people got them at some stage! This one was mild compared to other ones I had before! There was one before, I will never forget, where there was a ghost in my house and I was completely crippled with fear in the dream, good job i dont believe in ghosts :/:)

Some people have said to me that you can control and morph them into lucid dreaming but mine are not that frequent and I have no control over them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Dreams certainly can remind us all of sad times. The mind is a very powerful thing.
    I think it's often things that happen during the day and remain unresolved. And then the brain which does not turn off. Tries to sort it out when we are sleeping.

And then the brain which does not turn off. Tries to sort it out when we are sleeping.
    There is a study routine whereupon students study at night, sleep, and often things are sorted during the night in preparation for day classes.

• Advertisement

I think it's often things that happen during the day and remain unresolved. And then the brain which does not turn off. Tries to sort it out when we are sleeping.

Not even just the preceding day. It's amazing what it stores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

I dream upsetting dreams most nights. I hate it. I had my first sleep paralysis episode a few weeks ago when I awoke to what sounded like scratching noises all around the room. I was thinking WTF is that? Then I saw an old man coming towards me from the foot of the bed.. and a woman appeared there too but I managed to rouse myself shortly after... horrible stuff. Light had to go on after that one.

northgirl wrote: »
    I dream upsetting dreams most nights. I hate it. I had my first sleep paralysis episode a few weeks ago when I awoke to what sounded like scratching noises all around the room. I was thinking WTF is that? Then I saw an old man coming towards me from the foot of the bed.. and a woman appeared there too but I managed to rouse myself shortly after... horrible stuff. Light had to go on after that one.

Jesus, that sounds insanely terrifying. :(

Sorry you had to experience that.

If you put salt lightly sprinkled around the perimeter of your bedroom and sprinkle holy water on your bed including pillows. Your bad dreams will stop. Before posters start saying I am a nut job. Just try it. !

Light had to go on after that one.
    Had a bit of a horrific incident when very young, and the memory would often follow me into sleep and dreams, so the "light" was a must for several years while growing up. Later in life this all reversed, and now that I'm a creature of the night I no long want night lights while sleeping.

I get that. I haven't seen the old man and the woman, but I know what you mean when first you say you awoke to see them there, and later managed to rouse yourself. To all intents and purposes you are awake when whatever it is in whatever form it takes, is happening. My 'apparitions' for want of a better word were never as clear as that and there has only been one at a time for me. Could you see them really clearly? Mine would be like a dark, backlit silhouette against the cream coloured blind (a blind that doesn't actually exist on any of my windows!), the noise of footsteps hammering up the stairs really loudly, or a menacing sense of a presence in the dark.

If you put salt lightly sprinkled around the perimeter of your bedroom and sprinkle holy water on your bed including pillows. Your bad dreams will stop. Before posters start saying I am a nut job. Just try it. !
    Well, occupationally as a research methodologist I would be very skeptical of such approaches to solve the incidence of nightmare dreams, there being no empirical evidence of rigour to lend support to such practices. Then again, we can cite the Thomas Theorem (1928), whereupon William Isaac Thomas suggested that if persons define situations as real, they are real in their consequences (for them). I would clarify that such defined situations may fall under faith or what has been often considered superstitious belief systems, that in turn raises the question if you believe something, could it affect your dream content? (We could have fun with this contrast and comparison of faith and empiricism I bet.)

...a menacing sense of a presence in the dark.
    Yes, when very young I had such specters that would haunt me during that transitional period between sleep and awake, which contributed to the need of a night light way back then.

Well, occupationally as a research methodologist I would be very skeptical of such approaches to solve the incidence of nightmare dreams, there being no empirical evidence of rigour to lend support to such practices. Then again, we can cite the Thomas Theorem (1928), whereupon William Isaac Thomas suggested that if persons define situations as real, they are real in their consequences (for them). I would clarify that such defined situations may fall under faith or what has been often considered superstitious belief systems, that in turn raises the question if you believe something, could it affect your dream content? (We could have fun with this contrast and comparison of faith and empiricism I bet.)
    I was only suggesting this method as I happen to know people it has worked on.

• Advertisement

I was only suggesting this method as I happen to know people it has worked on.
    Sports analogy? Wear medal. Run faster. Without medal. Slower.

Advertisement