Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

newmember? wrote: »
    I want to smash my TV when this comes on...I have to change channel.

Wait til next week when Aldi will be doing a deal on flat-screen TVs

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Toyota radio and TV add were mother says something like "When I bring my children to school I know I doing something for the environment" and I think it should finish with "they should really walk because their obesity will lead to type 2 diabetes"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The ad with Eva Longoria about L'Oreal face cream.
    She is intensely concentrating on trying to pronounce 'Hyaluronic', one of the ingredients in the cream itself.

"Hy---alu---ronic?????"

It just seems to me that it perpetuates the old ads with Jennifer Aniston whispering "Here comes the science bit" i.e. you can stop engaging your brain for a few seconds, just use the cream/shampoo/make up and look pretty, you're a woman, we don't do science, chemistry etc.

A cosmetic equivalent of the Malibu Stacey dolls from the Simpsons. "Don't ask me, I'm just a girl...*laughs cutely*"
    The ironic thing is that Longoria herself is anything but thick.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

That always one where the woman is saying ‘some people think women are soft and delicate’. What people? No one thinks that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭optogirl

Perfume ads. Tis the season. Uniformly woeful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,109 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I find most of the Guinness rugby ads over-sentimental nonsense, but the Tadhg Furlong Vodafone one really grates me.

It really paints the country boy as a bit of yokel with no modern means of improving his skill-set in the game. Either that, or it makes it look like he was forced to spend hours out in a field tackling tractor tyres, or the big guy wouldn't be given dinner.

"Your a big lad aren't ya, Tadhg" says the midwife. a) No-one would ever say that in a hospital ward and b) yeah sure. A big baby automatically equates to a future rugby prop.

And someone mentioned the Johnny Sexton Mace ad before. I am going to assume that he isn't acting and that's his daily routine when making a decision. Doesn't seem the sharpest tool in the um...eh.....place where they keep the tools.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

"Hi I'm Tom" as he opens his girlfriends bedroom door to her parents. Its for chewing gum. It also might be dubbed English.

Another one that's starting to bug me is the your man from Room to Improve, doing the advertising for broadband. "Do you like this? I really like this."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If ad companies could stop using good songs from back in the day that'd be great. I won't be able to hear those songs without thinking of Flash, Dacia or some insurance company.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

KKkitty wrote: »
    If ad companies could stop using good songs from back in the day that'd be great. I won't be able to hear those songs without thinking of Flash, Dacia or some insurance company.

Just to add to this it won't make me buy those products only despise everyone who signed off on those ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭Dickie10

McDonalds new ad is nice, its simple with great music, nothing really annoying in it. great hall and oates song, it sould be a hit played again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Ruined a lot of songs for me. Currently Sam and Dave - Hold on I'm coming, the small sample used for that advert over and over again :mad::mad:

The song ruining aside, I can't stand that advert anyway. I don't know exactly what it is, I think it's the way his wife calls him and (enter tune loop) then when he walks up the stairs a few times she says 'never mind'.

Just an annoying and sh*t ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its gas the way things have changed with music and ads. 10-15 years ago there was no way any succesful band would allow their songs to be used for an ad and nowadays its becoming widespread- only the other day I saw a TUI ad with The Strokes song Someday playing throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Muahahaha wrote:
    Its gas the way things have changed with music and ads. 10-15 years ago there was no way any succesful band would allow their songs to be used for an ad and nowadays its becoming widespread- only the other day I saw a TUI ad with The Strokes song Someday playing throughout.

That's not true. Very common for a long time. What seems to happen more though is the jingle with new lyrics based on the old songs e.g. Bonnie Tyler "Turn Around......Barbara!!!"

And if they can't get the song they want, they use soundalikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Muahahaha wrote: »

No, I believe it's been used for a long time-even successful musicians made more money out of 'jingles' than they did out of their own tracks. John Parr made a fortune out of 'Gillette, the best a man can geeetttt', more so than he did out of 'St Elmos Fire (Man in Motion)'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Try_harder wrote: »
    That hipster Diet Coke ad! And I drink Diet Coke!

Screen-Shot-2018-03-22-at-21.38.55.png?w=600

I've just realised that when she raises her can to salute the passerby it's this prick walking in the opposite direction.

Screenshot-2018-11-13-at-12.09.19.png?w=600

Pair of cvnts.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I haven't watched it and I've no intention of watching it, but I'm already sick to death of people sh1teing on about that John Lewis ad.

I haven't watched it and I've no intention of watching it, but I'm already sick to death of people sh1teing on about that John Lewis ad.

The Bear and the Hare one was a classic. Genuinely a classic.

Sorry for the double reply-but that's not necessarily true. Levi's were using some classic tracks in adverts for their jeans-'When a Man Loves a woman' by Percy Sledge was used in one of their most memorable ads from the 80's.

The only thing is, those adverts were stone cold classics.
    Too many are now doing it for this kind of 'kitsch' value-and they're awful. Compare it to Levi's classic adverts, and they're like mini-films. (And yes, that is Brad Pitt at the 4 minute mark).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,851 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

She said this, he said that, I said boring two-tonne lump of rolling mediocrity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

No, I believe it's been used for a long time-even successful musicians made more money out of 'jingles' than they did out of their own tracks. John Parr made a fortune out of 'Gillette, the best a man can geeetttt', more so than he did out of 'St Elmos Fire (Man in Motion)'.

I'm not sure why but I got a chuckle out of the fact that you made sure to put the "Man in Motion" bit in brackets. I respect the detail. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Anything christmas related - fk christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Anything christmas related - fk christmas.

Just for you 20 signs you're a Christmas Grinch

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

my3cents wrote: »

The grinch has nothing on me, he is left wing in comparrison to how much i hate christmas. Stupid depressing time of year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Ulster Bank ad could be consider a follow up to the Diet Coke ad, but new actors and now set in Ireland, they get together and get to say random things like

It's good, yeah?
    I like It
    No

Did you get a voice message from the bank
    I like the bank

• Registered Users Posts: 14,767 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Diet coke adverts.

"if you want a diet coke, just have a diet coke"

Hate those ads

• Registered Users Posts: 10,693 ✭✭✭✭blueser

That PS4 tagline; "for the players". Well, yeah; who else would it be for?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

:confused: the only singer that springs to mind as being against it is neil young, loads of others have done it.

certainly nothing new, not even just allowing the songs be used, but appearring in the ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Those 3 ads explaining the meaning of words

• Advertisement

rubadub wrote: »
    :confused: the only singer that springs to mind as being against it is neil young, loads of others have done it.
    Beastie Boys and Beach House were/are dead against it. They had their songs copied/parodied or soundalikes were made. They both refused but the ads were made anyway.
    Beastie Boys were sued by the ad company and Beach House couldn't go any further I think.
    There are many that do it, but there are also loads that won't.

David Bowie song in another advert at the moment for Perfume I think.
    Michael Jackson, Madonna, Ray Charles and Beyonce also did Pepsi adverts (so did a load more).

I don't think them doing it is an issue for anyone, it's just when the advert kills the song, especially if it's a song you like/love.

Advertisement