Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The Christmas ads have started... and the new Boots one is just awful

It uses the song 'She's the One' by Robbie Williams, but rewritten as 'She's my mum'...
    The singing is bad, the acting is bad, the ending is bad... like, a gift of lipstick? And what did the mum buy the daughter? Tampons?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

That hipster Diet Coke ad! And I drink Diet Coke!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Try_harder wrote: »
    That hipster Diet Coke ad! And I drink Diet Coke!

And walks like he has a bottle of coke shoved up him.

The dialogue in that ad.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,931 ✭✭✭✭anewme

The Christmas ads have started... and the new Boots one is just awful

It uses the song 'She's the One' by Robbie Williams, but rewritten as 'She's my mum'...
    The singing is bad, the acting is bad, the ending is bad... like, a gift of lipstick? And what did the mum buy the daughter? Tampons?

Yeah it's very cringey!

On the subject of Christmas ads, anyone see the Icelad banned ad? Strong message.

anewme wrote: »
    Yeah it's very cringey!

On the subject of Christmas ads, anyone see the Icelad banned ad? Strong message.
    For anyone that hasn't seen it
    https://twitter.com/IcelandFoods/status/1060774234266484737

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I don't get the Christmas angle to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Suckit wrote: »

Love the idea of not using palm oil but making it into a sentimental advert that is supposed to be banned so it gets more hits makes me want to avoid Iceland like the plague. Its just annoying there isn't an Iceland locally I can boycott.

Patww79 wrote: »
    I don't get the Christmas angle to it.

Sentimental?

Or :o should that be Santimental? :o

I should write these bad ads I'd be really good at it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

my3cents wrote: »
    Love the idea of not using palm oil but making it into a sentimental advert that is supposed to be banned so it gets more hits makes me want to avoid Iceland like the plague. Its just annoying there isn't an Iceland locally I can boycott.

It's got the conversation going who cares, there's way more cynical attempts of marketing out there..

It's got the conversation going who cares, there's way more cynical attempts of marketing out there..

Be hard to beat that when not so long those ethical people at Iceland were happy enough to be selling horse meat. Even if they didn't know they didn't ask any ethical questions like how come the product is so cheap?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Be hard to beat that when not so long those ethical people at Iceland were happy enough to be selling horse meat. Even if they didn't know they didn't ask any ethical questions like how come the product is so cheap?

Fair enough, but it wasn't just Iceland that was at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm just sitting here thinking palm oil would be a bit too upmarket for Iceland's suppliers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I'm just sitting here thinking palm oil would be a bit too upmarket for Iceland's suppliers.

Iceland have a very good range now, you've everything for the 'loike' brigade down to the 99c chicken curries and all in between. You mustn't have been in one in years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

But you could get them back by buying loads of palm oil! That would show them that you're not someone to be trifled with! Plus it would probably really annoy Eamon Ryan! :D

Back on topic, the ads that really annoy me are the Sky Bet ones that are currently infesting every commercial break on Sky Sports. It's bad enough having to pay over the odds to watch sports without having to endure this kind of rubbish being thrown at me ten or twelve times a day.

Squatter wrote: »
    But you could get them back by buying loads of palm oil! That would show them that you're not someone to be trifled with! Plus it would probably really annoy Eamon Ryan! :D

Back on topic, the ads that really annoy me are the Sky Bet ones that are currently infesting every commercial break on Sky Sports. It's bad enough having to pay over the odds to watch sports without having to endure this kind of rubbish being thrown at me ten or twelve times a day.

But I did say I agree with not using palm oil so why would I buy loads of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Capt Peacock

Just seen the Mace Sextons sandwich advert...beyond horrific.

personally I think the Iceland as is fantastic. When all families are together at Christmas, Rang Tang has been driven for her home. Feel it's an easy way to broach this subject with smaller smaller children. Love it.

Also, as a recent veggie, Iceland do some good products. I would not have been an Iceland demographic customer. They've definitely changed tack.

When you talk about ads you despise, only a couple of years ago, Iceland had Kerry Katona as brand ambassador and the Christmas ad was all about Kerrys Prawn Ring. Now that's an ad that should have been banned

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

There is a diet coke advert which I have been searching for online but can't find it, driving me crazy because I'm pretty sure it's the worst thing I have ever seen. It features this guy

JJayoo wrote: »
    There is a diet coke advert which I have been searching for online but can't find it, driving me crazy because I'm pretty sure it's the worst thing I have ever seen. It features this guy

Ahhh yeah...that's hateful

Head on him and the price of turnips.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

The Boots Christmas ad is making me cringe. Robbie Williams will be raking in the royalties. At the end of it the mother gets a tiny gift, looks like a lip gloss, or nail varnish. After all the hoo ha of the ad, I thought it would be something fantastic.

• Advertisement

madmaggie wrote: »
    The Boots Christmas ad is making me cringe. Robbie Williams will be raking in the royalties. At the end of it the mother gets a tiny gift, looks like a lip gloss, or nail varnish. After all the hoo ha of the ad, I thought it would be something fantastic.

Thankfully, he won't earn a penny.
    https://www.songfacts.com/facts/robbie-williams/shes-the-one

This simple piano ballad about finding a soulmate was originally recorded by the British rock band World Party for their 1997 album, Egyptology. The band's frontman Karl Wallinger told The Daily Telegraph he wrote the song in "10 minutes and recorded it in an hour."

Despite the song winning an Ivor Novello Award in 1997, "She's The One" wasn't a hit for World Party. However, Guy Chambers, who'd played with Kurt Wallinger's outfit before becoming Robbie Williams' songwriting partner, heard the track when he was helping out on Egyptology. He suggested to Williams that he should record the tune for his I've Been Expecting You album. Featuring a restrained, almost whispered vocal from the singer it was released as the fourth single from the LP, becoming Williams' second solo #1 single in the UK.

"It was very strange," Wallinger recalled. "Nobody phoned to say they were doing it and they used the band I'd just been on a road with to record it."

Kurt Wallinger criticized Williams' version of his song and in annoyance the former Take That singer dropped it from his stage performances. Wallenger said that it irritated him because, "Robbie didn't sing the right words, 'cause he can't read probably. It was a weird one: you lose your friends but you make loads of money."

The song went on to win a number of awards, including a BRIT Award for Single of the Year and Best British Video in 2000. Meanwhile, Wallinger was struggling; World Party's Dumbing Up album was released in 2000 but it failed to trouble the charts and the following year he suffered a brain aneurysm which left him unable to speak. It took him five years to recover, and the royalty checks from "She's the One" were a lifesaver as he recuperated at home.

"The song had a much better time than me, popping off to the BRITs while I was at home eating crackers dipped in water," he said. "But it was lucky it was a hit. It's saved my ass financially for a few years while I was holding onto the handrail thinking, what happened?"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Thank you, Suckit. I know this is the wrong thread, but that is trivially happy. I don't watch him on tv, as the look of him would make me throw the set out the window.

madmaggie wrote: »

Plus the lyrics sound like they're for the absolute single digit IQ people... like 'that was her, by the tree'...really? Really? That was her? Ya don't say! Would never have guessed.

Idiots.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Heartened to see the pox in the Diet Coke advert is heavily mentioned - if him and that bird from the DC ad aslo ever breed, tis the end of days!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,594 ✭✭✭newmember2

Comhra wrote: »
    That infuriating ALDI advert with the smug middle-aged couple, Sean and Marie.

Sean laughing at his crummy joke about them not losing track of each other since they started shopping at ALDI. Nauseating.

I want to smash my TV when this comes on...I have to change channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,916 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What does that hideous Boots "Shes Me Mum" ad mean? I honestly dont get it, she makes the daughter take off her makeup before she goes out, daughter sings stupid song, daughter sees the mother singing in a choir and this seems to give her some insight into her mothers life so she gets her lipstick? I honestly cant figure it out, what are they getting at? Am I missing the first half in another ad or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Thargor wrote: »
    What does that hideous Boots "Shes Me Mum" ad mean? I honestly dont get it, she makes the daughter take off her makeup before she goes out, daughter sings stupid song, daughter sees the mother singing in a choir and this seems to give her some insight into her mothers life so she gets her lipstick? I honestly cant figure it out, what are they getting at? Am I missing the first half in another ad or something?

I think the subtle reasoning is that she's a single mother. The daughter only sees her as her mother, trying to stop her from having fun. When the daughter sees her mother in the choir she sees her in a different light, and perhaps feels sorry for her in that she sacrifices a more active lifestyle to look after her.

The lipstick gift seems to be a gesture that she understands that just like her, her mother might want to have fun of her own (she was wearing lipstick while she was in the choir).

Just my view of it anyway.

It's getting slaughtered, and it's that awful mawkish sentimentality that is the modern Christmas ad......but it's not the worst in my opinion.

ligerdub wrote: »
    I think the subtle reasoning is that she's a single mother. The daughter only sees her as her mother, trying to stop her from having fun. When the daughter sees her mother in the choir she sees her in a different light, and perhaps feels sorry for her in that she sacrifices a more active lifestyle to look after her.

The lipstick gift seems to be a gesture that she understands that just like her, her mother might want to have fun of her own (she was wearing lipstick while she was in the choir).

Just my view of it anyway.

It's getting slaughtered, and it's that awful mawkish sentimentality that is the modern Christmas ad......but it's not the worst in my opinion.

It's a rightful slaughter, imo. It's on every god damn hour of the day too. The one from last year was far better.

I believe Boots are deleting the comments underneath the new one-there isn't a single comment on the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z6KIlJaACw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭hkjohn

Sentimental?

Or :o should that be Santimental? :o

I should write these bad ads I'd be really good at it :D

VOICE OVER

(Irish female - Late 20s and sounding as if she' wasting away from consumption or been dumped by the love of her life who stole her book of Sylvia Plath poems when leaving)

Only if you can write trite rhymes
    And do so 99 out of 100 times.

Advertisement