Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Even more adverts you despise

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Go Harvey Go

All the car and insurance ones. Geico has some stupid ones.

I quite like the "Somebody's Watching Me" ones from nearly a decade ago... :o;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

The ad where Santy goes into McDonalds to get carrots for the reindeer.

Where the hell is there an open and fairly busy fast food restaurant on the early hours of Christmas day, I hope the staff are getting well paid to put up with that bullsh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

The ad where Santy goes into to McDonalds to get carrots for the reindeer.

Where the hell is there and open fairly busy fast food restaurant on the early hours of Christmas day, I hope the staff are getting well paid to put up with that bullsh1t.

46688947_10212994432323560_2877320749050232832_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=d0ce7548c9c039f9d405e64cfdb59540&oe=5C77A22C

It's a thanksgiving meme, but it works for Christmas too. ^^

Some very grinchy individuals who don't like that advert-you're meant to suspend disbelief and just go with it. It's mostly heartwarming.
    For all we know they're getting double or triple overtime for working x-mas day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,886 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

All the car and insurance ones. Geico has some stupid ones.

Yer wan with the Dub accent who puts on her posh telephone voice where she speaks without moving her lips for her one line "I like it all online" or similar in the its4women insurance ad - grates on my ears every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Could someone tell Guinness that the match is over. You can start the snow ad now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,188 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In the Guinness Christmas ad when your man says "Don't forget to turn the lights off" in a condescending tone, I wish the other fella would reply "Ah f*ck off ya prick"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,992 ✭✭✭✭flazio

In the Guinness Christmas ad when your man says "Don't forget to turn the lights off" in a condescending tone, I wish the other fella would reply "Ah f*ck off ya prick"

He does sound a bit exasperated when replying "I won't"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭caviardreams

That SuperValu "consider" campaign is nauseating, as if your grocery shopping should involved deep and meaningful contemplation on the nature of washing powder or a sliced pan :rolleyes:

The Christmas one also has a really annoying guy saying "our suppliers and staff" right at the end and it took me ages to even work out what he was saying.

"Consider" scrapping the ad guys :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭afkasurfjunkie

That SuperValu "consider" campaign is nauseating, as if your grocery shopping should involved deep and meaningful contemplation on the nature of washing powder or a sliced pan :rolleyes:

The Christmas one also has a really annoying guy saying "our suppliers and staff" right at the end and it took me ages to even work out what he was saying.

"Consider" scrapping the ad guys :mad:

Also, isn’t one of those ‘designer’ collections in dunnes stores called Considered? Considered by Helen James, I think. So not very imaginative by super valu standards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

I hate that SV ad, their diction is terrible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It beats "The Super, The Valu" whatever da eff that was supposed to mean. They seem to really struggle for simple ad catchphrases.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭Dickie10

the radio ad, i know this is tv but i foookin hate it. its for OPEL and it has two men , one is "Jay" who is 20 something sounds like hes from Offaly /Laois they have him made out to be really dopey and perhaps an apprentice, the other is another guy seems to be the boss, he has a really ,really horrible dublin accent and is really condescending to the other guy, jay. really hate there banter , the dub sounds a pure pricck, sounds a real man about town , no it all wannker. reminds me of the detective actor on fair city. also sounds so unrealistic, like the chances of having an apprentice from down in Laois /offaly working for a dub is slim enough, they sound like there in building trade again dubs are the minority at this . its usually all rural subbies. the dubs are poor enough at that sort of thing.bit too unionised

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭applehunter

The new An Post Christmas post ad is very very gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,737 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The Dunnes Stores ad with the terrible acting. Awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,229 ✭✭✭jellybear

I know it's been posted about before, but the Ulster Bank mortgage ad with the couple moving the couch around their house drives me crazy!!
    The faces she makes and the way she says "Yeah, it's good" really annoy me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭Pentecost

jellybear wrote: »
    I know it's been posted about before, but the Ulster Bank mortgage ad with the couple moving the couch around their house drives me crazy!!

I quite fancy her but that is very annoying. To be honest all of the banks ads are on so often that they all get annoying. Do they really need to advertise mortgages so much? What does it actually achieve?

I see that bastard Vodafone ad from last year is back again. The one with the dabbing young fella and his family after opening his Christmas presents.

I'll give Vodafone some credit though. Their ads are consistently the worst ads all year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Pythagorean

Can't stand the Mc Donalds ad "Did somebody say MaccyD's?", the one where the kids do manic dancing like epilepsy, in ridiculous places like art galleries, and outside in pouring rain, and of course they have to have people "of colour" in it just to make even more annoying and PC, look at the last scene where the two coloured girls get their burgers and fries, and the look on their faces would suggest that they have just been given some priceless treasure. Calling Mc Donalds "MaccyD's" suggests they are trying to make it sound chummy and nice, maybe some sort of allusion to Michael D ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

lertsnim wrote: »
    I see that bastard Vodafone ad from last year is back again. The one with the dabbing young fella and his family after opening his Christmas presents.

I'll give Vodafone some credit though. Their ads are consistently the worst ads all year round.

And that stupid laugh your wan does when the young lad dabbs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

That ****ing SuperValu add with the man saying " but I just got your name tattooed on my...."
    Woman says " with our CAR insurance"
    FFS! Bloody feminazis!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

EPAndlee wrote: »
    And that stupid laugh your wan does when the young lad dabbs

I was watching that and think is dabbing still a thing.

Calling Mc Donalds "MaccyD's" suggests they are trying to make it sound chummy and nice, maybe some sort of allusion to Michael D ?

Maccy D's isn't an Irish phenomenon.

There's a new advert for Tipperary Crystal that's trying to be mawkish and sentimental, but is either confusing or poorly thought out.

The ad is shortened to a 30 second or so version- but I have no idea what the pitch for this was.

Like, we don't see any Tipperary Crystal in the advert, we just see a bag-is the Crystal meant for the daughter? And the mum getting dolled up looks like she'll do 'anything' for that Tipperary Crystal.

(Maybe my mind went into the filthy zone because I saw the book they're reading said 'A Chubby little snowman'.)

Like, we don't see any Tipperary Crystal in the advert, we just see a bag-is the Crystal meant for the daughter? And the mum getting dolled up looks like she'll do 'anything' for that Tipperary Crystal.

I think all the ornaments and the jewelry she is wearing is from Tipp Crystal. No?

Elmo wrote: »
    I think all the ornaments and the jewelry she is wearing is from Tipp Crystal. No?

You see, I had to google that to see if you were right, and you are.

I got absolutely none of that from the advert.

SuperValu all things considered Christmas ad.

They seem to be trying to link all of the different parts together

as a poem read by a different person

But all things considered it does work, much like this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Never hated an advert before. Until that one. !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Maybe I'm just a bit wet behind the ears but I just don't get the Skoda ad.
    The one where they say that even though it's not built in Ireland, it's made for Ireland.
    But...the opening scene is a father and bride and it appears that he's having engine trouble.
    How's that supposed to inspire someone to buy a Skoda?

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Especially getting a loan for a fricking sofa! Wouldn't even mind if that sort of attitude didn't end up in Ulster Bank having to go into public ownership less than a decade ago.

• Advertisement

Elmo wrote: »
    I was watching that and think is dabbing still a thing.

Yeah-'flossing' is the thing this year. Not dabbing.

(the above is 'flossing' in case folks don't know).

Advertisement