Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

I would recommend ‘American horror story - Roanoke’ as a stand-alone haunted house series for the wknd. It sh1ts all over hill house, horror for adults as opposed to Tweenies who like hill house.

Might check that out... Asylum is the only one I've seen and that was great.

also there's a new animated Creepshow on Shudder to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I would recommend ‘American horror story - Roanoke’ as a stand-alone haunted house series for the wknd. It sh1ts all over hill house, horror for adults as opposed to Tweenies who like hill house.

hqdefault.jpg

This is who I picture when I read a sentence like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,736 ✭✭✭degsie

Thinking of watching 1408 movie. Anybody recommend it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

If you have the time, there's a French 8 part horror series called Marianne on Netflix....

Would recommend this just like the poster here.

I must say, I watched it last year after I watched Hill House and I thought it was up there with the latter. Would really give it 9/10!

degsie wrote: »
    Thinking of watching 1408 movie. Anybody recommend it?

Wow that brings me back.. saw that in the cinema when it came out. Was very good from what I remember.

Tonight I'm thinking Salem's Lot or Autopsy of Jane Doe ... have seen both before, but both are high on my list of must re-watch :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I gave up on Roanoke after 2 episodes, myself, but I would have thought the first season of American Horror Story is a much more obvious comparison to Hill House.

Mind you, I also thought Hill House was a solid series with good production and some great moments (the
    Bent Neck Lady's story
    for example).

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I finally watched Host on Shudder, and enjoyed it. It doesn't outstay its welcome at just under an hour, and there is plenty of inventiveness on display to keep things interesting. In a similar way to Unfriended, its direction has a clear understanding of what you can do well with the format. Worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Fysh wrote: »
    I gave up on Roanoke after 2 episodes, myself, but I would have thought the first season of American Horror Story is a much more obvious comparison to Hill House.

Mind you, I also thought Hill House was a solid series with good production and some great moments (the
    Bent Neck Lady's story
    for example).

Series 1 was great. At the time it was such an original new show. Series 2 then is probably the best of them all. Jessica Lange in 1 and 2 is a joy to watch. That last episode of series 2 is one of the best 1 hour tv I have ever watched. Roanoke was just so different with a crazy twist, by the end I was just in shock, can’t even remember if it took a few episodes to get going. Ever since then it’s been pretty bad tho. I think the Trump season came next and that was the beginning of the end. Apocalypse was absolute dire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Are the seasons all separate, as in you don't have to watch them in sequence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

For fans of extreme horror / revenge movies, Daddy's Little Girl the directors cut is getting its first screening on the free streaming app Hyvio tomorrow 31st October. Its one of the most brutal movies I've ever seen, I heard it described as high impact body horror and that is a pretty accurate description. There are very few movies that surprised me in the last number of years, things like Martyrs would be on the list, as would DLG. Highly recommended for fans of the extreme side of cinema.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Wailin wrote: »
    Are the seasons all separate, as in you don't have to watch them in sequence?

There is a little inter-connection as the later seasons were done, but that sort of became a gimmick o save the otherwise poor story of the later series. You can definitely watch 1, 2, 4, 6 as standalone and they are the best seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,359 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

mrcheez wrote: »
    Wow that brings me back.. saw that in the cinema when it came out. Was very good from what I remember.

Tonight I'm thinking Salem's Lot or Autopsy of Jane Doe ... have seen both before, but both are high on my list of must re-watch :D

Autopsy of Jane Doe was one of the best horrors I've watched in a long time, great choice and genuinely creepy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Watched Verónica and it was...fine?

Definitely not worth the buzz around it and given the fact it was directed by Paco Plaza, all it really made me want to do was go back and watch REC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

If there is 1 film that I would struggle to watch a 2nd time, not because it’s a bad film as it’s not, but because of its sheer depravity and terror, it’s the human centipede. I didn’t even attempt any of the sequels.

I have to agree. I did rewatch the first one recently enough, & I decided to remove it from my collection. Not before I gave the second one a go though. I'm not squeamish at all, but the horrible oppressive atmosphere in the second film is just too taxing. I bailed half way through (this was also a rewatch, I've seen them all a few years ago)...the film just didn't sit right with me. Was glad I turned it off, and removed them from my collection thereafter.
    Kolido wrote: »
    Autopsy of Jane Doe was one of the best horrors I've watched in a long time, great choice and genuinely creepy.

Agreed, was very pleasantly surprised with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,546 ✭✭✭✭briany

WNUF Halloween Special is a good one that kind of went under the radar. It's sort of found-footage but the angle is that it's the tape of an 80s Halloween broadcast by a regional U.S. TV station, complete with cheesy parodies of 80s adverts. Similar to Ghostwatch, the plot centres around the investigation of a haunted house, but the tone is a bit more lighthearted. I watched this last Halloween and enjoyed it. wish I had something similar to watch this year.

briany wrote: »
    WNUF Halloween Special is a good one that kind of went under the radar. It's sort of found-footage but the angle is that it's the tape of an 80s Halloween broadcast by a regional U.S. TV station, complete with cheesy parodies of 80s adverts. Similar to Ghostwatch, the plot centres around the investigation of a haunted house, but the tone is a bit more lighthearted. I watched this last Halloween and enjoyed it. wish I had something similar to watch this year.

That's on Shudder right now. Would have given it a miss but might check it now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'm surprised at the acclaim for Autopsy of Jane Doe, I found it fairly average. Very watchable, but for me it was one of those films that was amazing for the first half, but just OK for the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Wnuf?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

Wailin wrote: »
    Wnuf?

Thought the same. That's literally the title of the movie, not an acronym

• Registered Users Posts: 11,726 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Watched Cannibal Holocaust on amazon prime.

Very disturbing from animal cruelty to violent rape scenes. Film makers got away with some **** back in the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Homelander wrote: »
    I love horror films of all types, but I hate how sometimes broader audiences shoe-horn it into one category by which everything horror is judged.

People repeatedly review-bomb horror-drama films that have a lot more going on than just jump scares and obvious visual horror elements, for example.

Movies like Hereditary, Midsommar and Relic regularly get 1/10 on IMDB from people.

Just watched Midsommar tonight, it's brilliant but hard to watch as its very disturbing, I had anxiety and felt on edge from beginning to end, its rare for a movie to draw me in emotionally like that, felt like I could really empathise with the lead character and feel what she was going through. A couple of times I nearly turned it off because it was so intense and unsettling, exactly how a horror movie should be imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,801 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Just watched the first Babysitter. That was stupid fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Just watched Midsommar tonight, it's brilliant but hard to watch as its very disturbing, I had anxiety and felt on edge from beginning to end, its rare for a movie to draw me in emotionally like that, felt like I could really empathise with the lead character and feel what she was going through. A couple of times I nearly turned it off because it was so intense and unsettling, exactly how a horror movie should be imo.

Yep it gave me the same experience, it's definitely worth a rewatch in a few months aswell, it's easier to take in on a second watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭SortingYouOut

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Watched Cannibal Holocaust on amazon prime.

Very disturbing from animal cruelty to violent rape scenes. Film makers got away with some **** back in the day.

I'm all for an artistic licence, the line that shouldn't be crossed should be very hard to reach. That's what age ratings are for.

Beverly Hills, California

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

rtron wrote: »
    Yep it gave me the same experience, it's definitely worth a rewatch in a few months aswell, it's easier to take in on a second watch.

Yes I was tempted to watch it again but cannot deal with that ending a second time so close to the first. Ill give it a few months before I rewatch it.

Just a tip that the Creepshow Animated Special on Shudder is superb... I particularly liked the first story, although the 2nd one might appeal to a generation brought up on Twitter :D

It's part of an ongoing series with more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Just a tip that the Creepshow Animated Special on Shudder is superb... I particularly liked the first story, although the 2nd one might appeal to a generation brought up on Twitter :D

It not animation, its piss poor comic art with narration. Thought both were pure scutter tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I liked the live action episodes will defo watch this thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I just watched the original of The Fog....I haven't seen it in years.
    Really enjoyed it, it has aged a tad but still well done, very effective.

• Advertisement

3 is where they toyed with the idea of making it an anthology series rather than it being solely about Myers but it fell flat on its face. Because it was pure scutter.
    Bambi wrote: »
    It not animation, its piss poor comic art with narration. Thought both were pure scutter tbh.

This is the 2nd time I've seen the word scutter used... never heard it before :D

Is it Dub or some Weshtie slang? ;)

Advertisement