Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Possum was creepy as hell.. that's coming back on Shudder this month.

I watched Sinister the first time without knowing anything about it. The intro with the family and the tree took me by surprise, it's so real.

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Agree on Carpenter. Ghosts on Mars is poor.

Someone above mentioned Dawn of the Dead which is back on Netflix. Very enjoyable.

Watched The Djinn the other night. Good few jumps in it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I've got Shudder and Arrow Playet subs at the moment which between them have a good range of horror offerings (need to go through and make a list of stuff to watch over the next few weeks, as it happens).

Also worth noting that they both have different offerings in e.g. USA and Canada so if you have a VPN it's worth going on a virtual holiday to see what's on offer elsewhere...

Joe Bob is going to have a Halloween special this month too, those are always good

Talking of which, I highly recommend The Changeling which was one of the earlier Job Bob flicks... found it pretty chilling and stars George C Scott

• Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Fog is a classic. I remember watching it one night on BBC2. Man, must be 20 years ago looking back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

A couple of shows I haven't seen mentioned.

Halloween 3, yes I know it gets a fair bit of critisism as it's not related to the series storyline. Though I rewatched it recently enough and absolutely loved it.

Trick or treat, another movie I dismissed at first though rewatched it again this year and though it was really good

• Registered Users Posts: 28,846 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Listened to that longer than I should've.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I happened to catch Boys From County Hell last night on Shudder USA, which was a decent small-town Irish horror. It's not amazing, but it's competently made and is just different enough in how it handles its antagonists that I'd say it's worth a watch - tonally it reminded me a bit of Severance, though it never quite reaches the heights of that film's moments of brilliance..

Right, that's it decided, I'll be digging out my copy of Severance for a watch next :D

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Does anyone know where I can watch switchblade romance with subtitles.

• Advertisement

It's showing up as on Shudder for me under the title High Tension.

Saw Violation on Shudder yesterday based on the amazing RT score and indeed it's a flick that is disturbing and will get under your skin. Great cinematography. Bit of a slow burn for first half though but still thinking about it today.

Post edited by mrcheez on

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

Not a movie, but went through MidNight mass on Netflix the last three nights.

It's slow but it's a surprisingly good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,101 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Vamp starring Grace Jones is on Amazon Prime. This was one of my favourite films as a kid, must give it a rewatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

I watched an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation tonight called Schisms which a very creepy episode of Star Trek. There is a long scene in the holodeck which very nicely increases the sense of dread and unease. Worth a watch for the Halloween season. Not often Star Trek gets this close to traditional horror and does it well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭raclle

Will be watching Halloween Kills Halloween night but tempted to watch it this weekend. I see there's a new Scream movie coming out in January. Pity it wasn't released this month

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

I thought Halloween Kills was utterly dismal, and I thought the 2018 one was just OK but watchable. It's basically excessive gore wrapped in an unbelievably bad plot with unbelievably stupid characters even by the yardstick of these movies. You might like it but I would consider having a Plan B backup.

I liked the 2 rob zombie Halloween’s. They were vicious and raw.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Agreed. Found it very poor myself, with some terrible dialogue, acting and plotting. Not that a slasher film has to be great in any of those areas, but there are limits to what I can forgive.

Just watched Shadow in the Cloud. Thought it was super cheesy horror fun, fine blend of schlock creature-feature, token melodrama and WW2 action.

Don't get the claims it looked super low budget. Thought the CGI and production values worked perfectly well.

Good critic reviews but pretty bad user reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,541 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

I actually liked the 2018 reboot but Halloween Kills was absolute scutter.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

John Carpenter - The Fog

Alien

Nosferatu - both versions

Invasion of the Body Snatchers

100 Bloody Acres - I wonder what the secret ingredient is ?

Tucker and Dale vs Evil

The Rocky Horror Show

The Blair Witch Project - a horrible film. I'd gnaw through the straps to not see it again.

"I know I'm going to miss her, a tomatoe ate my sister"

I guess I need to watch it again, but I didn’t see anything great about ‘The Thing’ and I don’t mean the remake. I thought it was a bit cr@p to be honest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

An opinion to which you're entitled, but still very much an incorrect one. The Thing is a classic and bordering on flawless movie. Only its severely grim tone and gore halts it from more mainstream embracing

Watched Censor this aftenroon with Niamh Algar, who I always have time for. The film has a super interesting backdrop - the video nasty phase in Britain in the 1980's, and the comical witch-hunt frenzy that went on is core to the story.

Quite a good film, I could see why it wouldn't be for everyone, but it's well put together, excellent tension, and a great lead performance from Niamh Algar.

Not one to watch if you're looking for a scary, or even creepy, film, but it's definitely got an unsettling vibe.

Watching "Nosferatu the Vampyre" by Werner Herzog on Shudder (US) at the moment.

Stunning visuals and brilliant performances by all. Unfortunately it is subtitled, but I've never heard of it until I saw it listed and it's clearly an instant classic. Also has plenty of ironic humour strangely enough.

Bruno Ganz playing as Jonathan Harker has a distinct look of a young Javier Bardem, and Klaus Kinski as Dracula is perfection. But to be honest the landscape and castle shots are the real feature here.

It's no wonder it's gotten 95% on Rotten Tomatoes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I only got about a third of the way through it before giving up in boredom. Maybe I should try again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,115 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Has anyone watched Saint Maud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Watched the 2018 version of Halloween last night.

Had heard good things about it, saying it was best since the 1978 original classic ( which I love )

Thought it was rubbish tbh, they killed off the British reporters too early, most interesting characters

Advertisement