Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

mrcheez wrote: »
    Determined to try and find Halloween 3 somewhere tonight.. only one I haven't seen yet.

Shudder don't have it so I'll try my luck with Kodi... don't have Netflix or Prime

Rent it from Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

I watched/binged both hill house/Bly house and enjoyed both immensely. I prefer psychological, okay with gore, hate torture.

The REAL horror this year would be having to watch Hubie Halloween.

Inland Empire.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I quite liked the rob zombie Halloween 1 and 2 films from about 10 years ago. They were vicious. Have not seen the recent one that is out on Netflix now but it’s looks crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Rent it from Youtube?

yeah maybe... €2.99 ain't bad. I'll try Kodi first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

I quite liked the rob zombie Halloween 1 and 2 films from about 10 years ago. They were vicious.
    6.1 and 4.7 on imdb.
    27% and 21% with critics, 59% and 45% with audiences on rottentomatoes.
    Have not seen the recent one that is out on Netflix now but it’s looks crap.
    6.5 on imdb.
    79% with critics, 70% with audiences on rottentomatoes.

I'm not saying you'll like it. I might be saying that you have ****e taste in movies. :P

• Advertisement

True horror fans ignore critics ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Fanboys be damned Zombieween is no worse than anynof the other sequels and better than several. Although I would say that if you want to watch the 2nd one you should watch the Angel Myers fanedit version. My preference these days is The Myers Family fanedit which takes the better parts of both Zombie films and combines them into one film.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Dreamcatcher 2004
    Slither 2006
    The Descent 2005
    30 days of Night 2007

Paranorman 2012
    The Nightmare before Christmas 1993

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭John Frank Wilson

Determined to try and find Halloween 3 somewhere tonight.. only one I haven't seen yet.

Shudder don't have it so I'll try my luck with Kodi... don't have Netflix or Prime

Surely you could download it from somewhere that is 100% definitely not a torrent site, wink wink, nudge nudge?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,849 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I quite liked the rob zombie Halloween 1 and 2 films from about 10 years ago. They were vicious. Have not seen the recent one that is out on Netflix now but it’s looks crap.
    I thought they had some interesting ideas but didn't hang together, plus some of the acting is very poor, especially his wife...

The recent one was good I thought
    bar the useless podcasters
    jamie lee curtis was excellent. Will be interesting to see the two sequels!

• Advertisement

Surely you could download it from somewhere that is 100% definitely not a torrent site, wink wink, nudge nudge?

Got it sorted with METV for Kodi.

Classic Carpenter soundtrack...now Halloween can finally start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I honestly found it hard to understand how people liked the new Halloween. I'm not saying I think Rob Zombie's Halloween movies are good, but they're OK.

I found the new 2018 sequel absolutely terrible, total cheese-fest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Watched Sinister last night after attempting to watch it before but gave up on it. Not bad, but certainly nowhere near as good as many on here would have you believe.

Maniac starring Elijah Wood is a nasty little indie slasher flick. I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Halloween 3 is on the horror channel on Saturday night. Very late though. It’s part of a double bill. Halloween II is first up at 00:30

And audiences, apparently. So why are you talking to me?

€3 on google play
    https://play.google.com/store/movies/details/Halloween_III_Season_Of_The_Witch?id=4Kp6dsaqbxU

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

I love horror films of all types, but I hate how sometimes broader audiences shoe-horn it into one category by which everything horror is judged.

People repeatedly review-bomb horror-drama films that have a lot more going on than just jump scares and obvious visual horror elements, for example.

Movies like Hereditary, Midsommar and Relic regularly get 1/10 on IMDB from people.

I mean, if you don't like it, fine, that's completely valid. Even the best regarded movies have critics. I have no problem if someone disliked any of the above with valid, reasoned criticism.

But giving something 1/10 just because it's not what you expected is unfair with feedback like "boring almost fell asleep" and "nothing happens for 2 hours" or "makes no sense" cropping up repeatedly.

But check it out yourself, you'll find half the reviews say things like that. I mean, you wouldn't watch Schlinders List and then rate it 1/10 because "there's no action".

However, it's a steady trend within the horror genre. In fact, in many cases, the horror movies that have the highest critical reception have mixed to poor audience reviews.

I'm not particularly gone on those generic jump-scare movies, but some are decent, some are OK, some are awful - I rate than based on what they accomplish relative to what they are/hope to achieve, not on some pre-determined notion I have of what every single horror movie should be.

If there is 1 film that I would struggle to watch a 2nd time, not because it’s a bad film as it’s not, but because of its sheer depravity and terror, it’s the human centipede. I didn’t even attempt any of the sequels.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

If there is 1 film that I would struggle to watch a 2nd time, not because it’s a bad film as it’s not, but because of its sheer depravity and terror, it’s the human centipede. I didn’t even attempt any of the sequels.
    Agree, that was very rough, the second one is a 'better' movie but lacks the edge of the first.

Would love a movie that gave me the thrill the first Paranormal activity did, others were pretty good too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Watched Lamberto Bava’s Demons on Shudder the other night. What an absolute trip. It’s complete and utter nonsense, let me say in advance. But what entertaining nonsense! A brilliantly moody, wordless opening stretch turns into a bizarre and icky slaughterfest. Then it goes further into the realms of absurdity as it progresses, with a climax that is so preposterous you can’t help but go along with the silliness. It manages that trick of being genuinely gross at times while being throughly, absurdly entertaining. It’s total nonsense well worth indulging in.

On the subject of icky, also dug Brian Yuzna’s Society. Took the vast majority of the film to get to the good stuff - lots of iffy acting and obvious setup before things hit the fan. But the **** is eventually hurled at the rotor blades with glorious effect, and the grotesque orgy of melting bodies and social satire that represents the film’s trippy climax is truly something to behold. Takes a while to get there, but it gets there - with some wickedly cheesy punchlines to boot.

esposito wrote: »
    Halloween 3 is on the horror channel on Saturday night. Very late though. It’s part of a double bill. Halloween II is first up at 00:30

Enjoyed Halloween 3 last night... it's obviously not a Mike Myers flick and that's why people generally didn't like it on release, but I took the cue from Darcy on Job Bob and can honestly say it's one of the better 80s campy horror flicks in its own right.

Pure indulgence stuff, leave your brain at the door (or get it crushed out via a mask).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Enjoyed Halloween 3 last night... it's obviously not a Mike Myers flick and that's why people generally didn't like it on release, but I took the cue from Darcy on Job Bob and can honestly say it's one of the better 80s campy horror flicks in its own right.

Pure indulgence stuff, leave your brain at the door (or get it crushed out via a mask).

***Warning for flashing images***

Wasn't a fan the first time I watched it but liked it when I did a rewatch while I was watching all the Halloween films

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I thought they were all Mike Myers based.
    Have only seen 2 of them I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I thought they were all Mike Myers based.
    Have only seen 2 of them I think.

3 is where they toyed with the idea of making it an anthology series rather than it being solely about Myers but it fell flat on its face. Because it was pure scutter.

3 is where they toyed with the idea of making it an anthology series rather than it being solely about Myers but it fell flat on its face. Because it was pure scutter.

It was an entertaining watch, but people mainly hated it because it strayed from the Myers story.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Halloween 3 is a killer flick, hated it as a child (Where's Wally?). General despise remakes, but this could be a runner. Go real dark on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Halloween 3 is a killer flick, hated it as a child (Where's Wally?). General despise remakes, but this could be a runner. Go real dark on it.

I love Halloween III the most of all Halloweens :D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,803 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I was gonna say if they remade it, they could just drop the Halloween name and call it Season of the Witch.
    But then remembered there's another film by that name starring Nicolas Cage.
    I'm surprised it hasn't been remade as an episode one of the horror anthology TV series.

• Advertisement

I would recommend ‘American horror story - Roanoke’ as a stand-alone haunted house series for the wknd. It sh1ts all over hill house, horror for adults as opposed to Tweenies who like hill house.

Advertisement