Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Development almost had me but when things went to shít the script make a couple of such grown inducing leaps I just stopped buying the peril.

But the setup was fabulous, and would bat for it. Not least for a really good grasp of spacial geography - a depressingly rare talent in cinema.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, agreed that it did a really good job of both conveying the layout of the house well and framing shots effectively for narrative purpose. It's a pity to see that kind of effort wasted on such a two-flusher of a narrative development - I can't help wonder if it's one of those "great idea for a short film that gets inevitably mangled by stretching it to feature length".

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭polysteamtoken

Has anyone watched "the den" or know of anything similar? I've looked a few times and found two others but they were total rubbish. Unfortunately 99% of horror movies are utter nonesense. Most horror movies are not very scary or disturbing the more disturbing thing is the unrealistic approach to many and even more disturbing is the way the victim's often behave. As if they want to die and I often find myself rooting for the killer because none of the main characters are decent people or incredibly stupid and the world wouldn't miss them. It's hard to be afraid or fear for a victims life when you honestly hate them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,370 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I thought it was hilarious. The tape measure bit and the ‘I’m a nice guy’ bit made the movie for me.

The empty man 2020. Starts as a supernatural horror then turns into a detective story investigating a cult and ends weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,888 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Willy's Wonderland on Shudder at the moment... John Wick meets Five Nights At Freddies.

Nicholas Cage being Nicholas Cage and beating up on possessed animatronics... and if that doesn't sell it to you...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I thought that was a fantastic setup and casting choice let down by a pretty dull execution; I really wanted it to be fun, but thought it fell a bit short. Oddly enough part of the issue is that Cage is quiet and reserved almost to a fault - it could have done with some of that Cage bonkersness a la the crying-and-screaming-and-swigging-vodka scene in Mandy...

yeah, agree a few Cage one-liners would have probably amped it up a lot!

Thought the caffeine addiction thing was hilarious though

I've been wired on caffeine sports drinks a few times so can relate to the feeling of euphoria you get (before the inevitable crash)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Have not seen that film, but his other film made around the same time, ‘Mandy’ is a bit slow for its first hour but he goes full bonkers for the last bit, and it’s a good enough film too. His later film ‘Prisoners of the ghost land’ I have also not seen but it looks like it could be good and silly.

• Advertisement

Mandy might be too gory for some but it’s escalating madness is great. The same director made beyond the black rainbow, it’s more weird than violet/gory. Not as good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭dubstepper

Watched 'The deep house' on Netflix. Haunted house under water. Fairly cr*p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,019 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Along kinda similar lines, but less gore, ‘Color out of Space’ is pretty fun too. An alpaca farmer version of Cage, going increasingly nuts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 640 ✭✭✭rtron

Just watched "the Tank", simple "there's something lurking out" there mystery flick.

I watched Terrifier 2 last night. It’s pretty out there, good not great, very gory in parts but not especially scary, and probably I prefer the first film as it’s more ‘normal’. There is a fantasy element to 2 which puts it down a similar theme to other good films like ‘Mandy’. Overall I’d say it’s a 7/10.

Watching last voyage of the Demeter - based on Dracula's journey to the england. Very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭.Donegal.

Dolly dearest (1991) haven’t seen it in a long long time. Not sure how it would stand up watching it today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Any recent recommendations for creature features/monster movies? It's a genre I have a soft spot for, but nobody seems to be doing it justice these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

The Ritual, four English friends go hiking in Sweden.

last voyage of the Demeter

yeah that's a classic I reckon.

Also the old faithful "Autopsy of Jane Doe" is on Shudder (US/Canada) at the moment

Any recommendations on Netflix? Recently got gifted a subscription. "Haunting of Hill House" is brilliant I recall

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,007 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,440 ✭✭✭Homelander

I liked The Last Voyage of the Demeter. Fairly formulaic but entertaining.

Four I watched recently that I enjoyed.

Hellbender, The Dark and the Wicked, Deadstream and The Ruins (Unrated)

Had seen The Ruins in 2008 but it was better than I remembered. One of those movies that's more psychological, people trying to deal with an impossible situation.

Deadstream is super fun while just being a tiny bit creepy.

The void (2016) Lovecraftian body horror.

The Empty Man (2020) starts off as a slasher, then turns into a detective move then into a cult movie. Very strange and unique.

If you like Mandy, the same director made beyond the black rainbow and is currently in post production with Nekrokosm.

Thought "Fall" on Netflix was rather effective if you have even the slightest fear of heights

Vivarium is an Irish movie I liked. Not especially scary or gory, but very original and psychological. The ‘baddie’ in it is very disturbing.

Caliber, it's not really a horror film but a very solid psychological thriller set in Scotland. It's not about Billy Connolly and non alcoholic lager.

Silver Bullet, adapted from Stephen King's Cycle of the Werewolf: 80'stastic.

There is an old English short film called Whistle and I will come to you, haven't seen it but it's supposed to be a very good ghost story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Wailin

Just finished Evil Dead Rise on Netflix. I actually thoroughly enjoyed it considering I had no expectations for it and being a huge fan of the Bruce Campbell versions. To be honest, I never even knew of its release until I saw it advertised on netflix. Good mindless bloody fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Silver Bullet is great.

You've just reminded me of renting it on VHS with my dad in xtra vision back in the day. Every Halloween you could rent horror movies for 50p.

I miss that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭SheepsClothing

Well it's October again, so it's time for spooky movies. I generally make an effort to watch more horror films around this time of year, so I made a little list that I'm aiming to to see this month:

Saw 10 (2023)

Paranormal Activity (2007)

The Fog (1980)

Smile (2022)

The Ring (2002)

From Beyond (1986)

And a HOST double bill of:

The Host (2006) + Host (2020)

Bonus TV series:

Fall of the House of Usher

For anyone who uses shudder, we're do you watch the app? I can't get it on my smart TV or playstion, only smartphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

When i used it it was via my nvidia shield. Can you not cast from your phone to the tv?

I use a Firestick 4K. Not sure on the latest models, but it seems you can get them in Currys here

https://www.currys.ie/products/amazon-fire-tv-stick-with-alexa-voice-remote-2021-10224471.html

Amazon had originally stopped selling them to Ireland, but perhaps you can now buy them delivered here too

I tried that but keeps disconnecting for some reason so bit of a pain.

The Banishing on Shudder is essential horror

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

In unsubscribed from shudder for this reason. I could only watch on my phone or on a laptop. I have a firestick and couldn't get it on that either. Very annoying.

Yeah I was subscribed a few years ago and unsubscribed due to the same as you. I ended buying a type C to HDMI cable from amazon and connected the phone direct to the TV. Working very well so I resubscribed, for the month that's in it!

I think you can only get on Firestick 4K for some bizarre reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Shudder app plays fine on android box (X92 even) however I can't scroll over so using app on phone have what I want to watch in one of first slots on my list. Then can easily select on box to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭fran38

'The Fog' 1980 & 'The Thing' 1982. Two John Carpenter classics. Do not touch the remakes. Another Carpenter movie 'The Prince of Darkness' 1987. The devil tries to re-enter the world from some dimension. A lot of hokum but extremely fun & is typical Carpenter right down to the film score.

Honourable mention goes to 'Black Mass'. A mini series on vampires with some crackin' Neil Diamond tunes throughout 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Thing isn't an original itself it's from 'Who goes There?' a.k.a 'The Thing from Another Planet' which was the title of the original adaption.

Famously enough initially 'The Thing' was panned at the time and deemed by many to be inferior to the original.

Have a soft spot for The Prince of Darkness, saw it at a screening with John Carpenter doing a Q&A back around 2012, and they also screened the Gangnam Style parody "Lo Pan Style", which he got a kick out of :)

And since it's also nearly Halloween, I also went to a John Carpenter concert on Halloween night a few years ago, where he performed his music in this cool light box thing - awesome show! (i love John Carpender)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Aside from The Thing which absolutely holds up, I've been reluctant to dip too much back into Carpenter of late, fearful stuff like Prince of Darkness hasn't aged too well.

I still get a kick out of Halloween, The Thing, Escape from New York, Christine, Big Trouble in Little China, They Live, and Starman - and even to an extent Assault on Precinct 13, which is ridiculous, but I think always was (with one of the most shocking openings i've ever seen!)... they all look 'of their time', but still hold up in their own way I think. Some of the others have definitely aged more poorly though.

• Advertisement

I watched The Fog recently, I thought it help up ok. I thought it was a very good ghost story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Halloween is the GOAT horror movie for me and easily top of Carpenters pile. Also have alot of love for the Thing and the Fog. PoD, BTILC and They Live are less serious/ bordering on cheese but still alot of fun.

I watched Escape from New York in the cinema a few years ago and god help me, I was bored. I think I had forgotten just how sedate the film was, the visuals and memorable characters holding up the nostalgia above all. Carpentry was a very makeshift director who succeeded despite constant constraints - and sometimes that shows. Good shout on Starman: that's a good dark horse for Carpenter's best of.

Yeah good ghost story, though very much a mood piece that'd potentially look a bit tepid against what came after.

The Thing holds up for me mainly due to the animatronics, something about them being physical makes them more believable.

I stuck on In The Mouth Of Madness over the weekend and was quite impressed by it - I'd heard a couple of middling reviews, and thus did not have great expectations, which may have helped. I would say it works better as one of Carpenter's Apocalypse films than Prince of Darkness, which I think has a reach that exceeds its grasp.

As it turns out, while I had not seen the full version of ItMoM before, I had seen a short version of it in a fanedit anthology called Lovecraft Actually, which is a very fun anthology presentation combining In The Mouth of Madness, The Mist and Deep Rising - all knitted together through cosmic horror as a theme and the added music of the Beach Boys (which sounds bonkers but actually works really well).

• Advertisement
Advertisement