Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October/Halloween/Horror Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Homelander wrote: »
    Just watched the Australian film 'Relic', thought it was absolutely superb. Best watched knowing nothing about it.

Where did you watch it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

El Duda wrote: »
    Where did you watch it?

I honestly don't know. It watched it at a friends house. It was streamed but from what I do not know.

I also watched Scare Package the other day based on a recommendation here actually.

It's a mixed package, it toes the line between awful and great a little too often, but overall I ended up enjoying it for the most part.

The 'generic teen slasher' segment was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

Evil Dead 1 or 2

Also give The Haunting of Hill House a watch. I know its not a film but it's a great show. Full of tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Also give The Haunting of Hill House a watch. I know its not a film but it's a great show. Full of tension.

The biggest pity of that series is that it is completely ruined by the last episode. It was such a cop out. Considering how great the rest of the show was, it's immensely disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Anyone bother with the follow up, Haunting of Bly Manor? Watched the 1st episode and doesn't look great.

• Advertisement

Wailin wrote: »
    Anyone bother with the follow up, Haunting of Bly Manor? Watched the 1st episode and doesn't look great.

Four episodes in. Much different mood to the first one. Doesn't have the tension or terror of the first one. I had my expectations tempered by negative reviews of it but I'm enjoying it for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Wailin wrote: »

Think someone mentioned " it's not a horror"...

Watched the first episode also, tapped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

All of this talk of Relic is making me want to watch this again...

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Elwood_Blues

The biggest pity of that series is that it is completely ruined by the last episode. It was such a cop out. Considering how great the rest of the show was, it's immensely disappointing.

I dunno, I didn't mind it that all. It really depends how you interpret the last scene.. It was a nice red cake

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

The main thing that lets me give the episode a pass is that
    the house was actually malevolent, I was afraid throughout that it would play the lame & overdone 'the ghosts just need help' card.
    But the show was brilliant and scary all the way up to there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The main thing that lets me give the episode a pass is that
    the house was actually malevolent, I was afraid throughout that it would play the lame & overdone 'the ghosts just need help' card.
    But the show was brilliant and scary all the way up to there.

It was frustrating because it had some elements of greatness but Americans have to overdo everything.

The episode with the whole family in the funeral home was brilliant though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Any good halloween movies people would recommend to watch with a 5yr old? I was thinking maybe ghostbusters

mloc123 wrote: »
    Any good halloween movies people would recommend to watch with a 5yr old? I was thinking maybe ghostbusters

Hocus Pocus?

Nightmare before Christmas, maybe. Some Harry Potter film?

Fives a bit young, like

• Registered Users Posts: 7,653 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Casper?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

The Hotel Transylvania series?

Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,676 ✭✭✭buried

This is what I'm going watching over the next few nights. All brilliant if you like a atmospheric slow burn horror show.

Let's scare Jessica to death (1971)
    The Sentinel (1977)
    Burnt Offerings (1976)
    Blood on Satan's Claw (1971)
    Rosemary's Baby (1968)
    Hereditary (2018)
    The Lighthouse (2019)

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Think someone mentioned " it's not a horror"...

Watched the first episode also, tapped out.

Spoiler:

It’s a love story!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Watching a Halloween marathon today... Part 1, 4 and 5 on Joe Bob's Halloween Hootenanny

(Might only be available with a VPN)

Watched "The Endless" on Netflix last night. Had seen it on Netflix a few times but the blurb didn't really grab me, but saw it recommended on Reddit a lot.

So glad I watched it, incredibly good movie. Won't say too much about it, as it's worth going in not knowing anything about it, but it slightly reminded me of Midsommar.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Watched "The Endless" on Netflix last night. Had seen it on Netflix a few times but the blurb didn't really grab me, but saw it recommended on Reddit a lot.

So glad I watched it, incredibly good movie. Won't say too much about it, as it's worth going in not knowing anything about it, but it slightly reminded me of Midsommar.

If you liked The Endless, you might enjoy Resolution and Spring. Resolution is chronologically before The Endless and focuses on a couple of characters that crop up in the latter film, but is worth watching in its own right. And Spring is, to me at least, a fascinating combination of genres that made for something quite distinctive, albeit more horror-adjacent than actual horror in a lot of ways.

I'm looking forward to seeing what their next film, Synchronic, is like.

Endless is worth watching, found it a bit frustrating at first, too many characters you want to slap, but worth sticking with

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Bambi wrote: »
    Endless is worth watching, found it a bit frustrating at first, too many characters you want to slap, but worth sticking with

Watched the first hour of The Endless last night. Had to leave it as something urgent came up. But i really like it so far. If it gets even better, I'm looking forward to my TV hit for tonight.

I watched/binged both hill house/Bly house and enjoyed both immensely. I prefer psychological, okay with gore, hate torture.

The REAL horror this year would be having to watch Hubie Halloween.

Bambi wrote: »

A good premise, and worth sticking with.

Just watched The Void, demented movie. The Thing meets Hellraiser meets....the Evil Dead? For want of a better description. Incredible how far a small budget can go when used effectively.

Really enjoyed this one.

Just watched The Void, demented movie. The Thing meets Hellraiser meets....the Evil Dead? For want of a better description. Incredible how far a small budget can go when used effectively.

Really enjoyed this one.

I was disappointed with it and low budget, small cast, single set and Lovecraftian are things I usually love.

In the mouth of madness is a far better Lovecraftian vehicle, Banshee chapter is pretty good too

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭flasher0030

A good premise, and worth sticking with.

Watched it last night. Very interesting film.
    Very good discussion on some forums on the net about the
    time loops.
    And theories as to whether or not they are in their own time-loop all along.

Watched it last night. Very interesting film.
    Very good discussion on some forums on the net about the
    time loops.
    And theories as to whether or not they are in their own time-loop all along.

I've not seen any online discussion, and it's a while since I saw it, but
    I would have thought that if they were in their own time loop they would have been doomed to repeat by being in the control of the creature but appear to have escaped by the film end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,624 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Determined to try and find Halloween 3 somewhere tonight.. only one I haven't seen yet.

Shudder don't have it so I'll try my luck with Kodi... don't have Netflix or Prime

Advertisement