Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

The story from the paper is about a group of cyclists nearly crashing into young lad on a tricycle? Jaysis! Those fellas would need to have a good look at themselves if they think roaring at a kid is appropriate in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Fian

P_1 wrote: »
    Some club cyclists can be richards, I think we can all agree on that. Sounds to me that the lady in the Times encountered such a creature.

As an aside what do folk think an acceptable speed is to be going along such tracks? I'd reckon 30km max if there are others about, if it's clear then gun it for your threshold training. Just a bit of cop on really.

Shouting at the toddler would clearly be out of order.

I can't help but suspect that they were shouting at the parents for letting a toddler wander along a busy cycleway on a tricycle. Presumably they got an awful fright, the writer suggests that it was very close to a serious accident. Shouting was not the appropriate response but adrenaline can provoke inappropriate reactions in those circumstances.

I think putting a toddler on a trike on the cycle lane rather than the path was daft, certainly not what I would do. Having said that the cyclists should not be belting along so quickly that they can't deal with obstacles on a path used by many slow cyclists and also wandered into by pedestrians.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

P_1 wrote: »
    Does that mean free Garmins for all? :pac:

"I want out Ted, I didn't know you had to follow up a good idea with loads of little ones"

event-management-data.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

plodder wrote: »
    Just realised it is referring to the Dollymount to Sutton section which has cyclists and pedestrians next to each other. The cyclists were right out of order in that case.. Quite dangerous to go fast along there when there are young children about :o
    whats fast?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭davindub

whats fast?

Anything over 15km a hour when in close contact with pedestrians when your braking distance/ ability to turn is comparable to a train.

But, I think kids being where they shouldn't be is typical for the area, everyone else is responsible for the safety of free range kids.

But also there are a lot of frustrations between cyclists and motorists and pedestrians, I used to cycle frequently on the back roads nearby, loads of close passing, honking the horn behind me, etc. Driving on the same roads I get held up by 2 abrest cyclists who don't bother allowing traffic to pass. Cycling along the promenade at speed is ridiculous.

Motorist or cyclist, some people are just d***'s

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭plodder

whats fast?
    Fast enough that you couldn't avoid them if they stepped onto the cycle track unexpectedly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

check_six wrote: »
    Niall Ring on newstalk now. Free for all with cyclists on the cycle track in Clontarf apparently. They also get upset when he drives too close to them, he cannot understand why.

I did have a chuckle when he said that cyclists bang on the car when he gets too close, and follows it up with and sometimes you have the get close.

Eh, maybe don't get so close and no you don't.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Niall Ring on newstalk now. Free for all with cyclists on the cycle track in Clontarf apparently. They also get upset when he drives too close to them, he cannot understand why.

This Niall Ring?

https://www.dublincity.ie/councilmeetings/mgUserInfo.aspx?UID=180

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Ah Niall Ring. Is that the same tool who lobbied for private car commuting as sustainable transport?

Tomorrow's Irish Times headline - angry motorist beeps at kid for crossing the road at a red man. You heard it here folks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Tomorrow's Irish Times headline - angry motorist beeps at kid for crossing the road at a red man. You heard it here folks.
    There's a scheme underway right now in France or Italy. If a pedestrian crosses the road at a pelican crossing, but against the light, even if there's nothing coming, a loud screeching sound is played and a photo of the terrified pedestrian is taken and publicly displayed.

Seriously.

I've disappointed that the whole installation hasn't been vandalised. This is France, where the farmers dump produce and set it on fire when the mood takes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

amcalester wrote: »
    I did have a chuckle when he said that cyclists bang on the car when he gets too close, and follows it up with and sometimes you have the get close.

Eh, maybe don't get so close and no you don't.

Phil Skelton should present him with one of the large 1.5 bus stickers and an invitation to the 1.5 Ride!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

Totally unreasonable reaction from the professionally dressed cyclist.

I am bit suprised about the attention this thing gets.... I wonder if I am featured in an article the next time somebody in a car is giving out, trying to play Beethovens 9th with his/her horn or I am getting ran of the street...... Maybe because these are not rare occasions and thus not worth an article in the Times.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Ah Niall Ring. Is that the same tool who lobbied for private car commuting as sustainable transport?

I immediately thought of Nial Ring, financial guru. Could these all be the same person?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

There's a scheme underway right now in France or Italy. If a pedestrian crosses the road at a pelican crossing, but against the light, even if there's nothing coming, a loud screeching sound is played and a photo of the terrified pedestrian is taken and publicly displayed.

Seriously.

I've disappointed that the whole installation hasn't been vandalised. This is France, where the farmers dump produce and set it on fire when the mood takes them.

Not in France, I shouldn't think - pedestrian crossings (there are no Pelican crossings) are generally treated as go-slow-but-go by both people in cars & people on feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

Here it is. Surprised someone has taken a hammer to the feckin' thing.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I immediately thought of Nial Ring, financial guru. Could these all be the same person?

In the context of anti-cycling this is him

http://irishcycle.com/2015/08/03/councillor-objecting-to-cycle-route-on-mental-health-ground-is-a-serial-objector-to-cycle-paths/

In the context of financial guru (or whether the opposite of that is) this is also him

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/circuit-court/dublin-councillor-nial-ring-loses-home-after-0-5m-arrears-accrue-1.3096378%3Fmode%3Damp

Either way he's a prize chump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

He sounds like a right Pain in the RING

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Fast enough that you couldn't avoid them if they stepped onto the cycle track unexpectedly.

To follow through on this, what should the speed limit be on roads immediately adjacent to footpaths?

Seriously.

Isn't this just a once off pedestrian safety publicity stunt rather than a scheme?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

And it got published! Under the heading "Cyclists and the towpaths of irony" one Kieran Ryan of Drumcondra writes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cyclists-and-the-towpaths-of-irony-1.3101947
    Ita McCormack (May 30th) writes that she shudders “to think of a family of cyclists silently coming up behind” as she walks along the Royal Canal towpath.
    She is right to be concerned.
    There is nothing I enjoy more than taking my own pack of cyclists out to stalk unsuspecting prey as they perambulate along the water’s edge.
    A quick strike to the back of the neck with a handpump usually incapacitates the victim. The cub cyclists are then encouraged to play with the lifeless body; it helps them to develop their own predatory instincts and motor skills.
    A decent-sized walker can feed a pack of up to seven cyclists, and after a good outing we may not need to eat again for four or five days.
    It’s a jungle out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

I love this attitude - "fecking cyclists on the path going too fast beside people and scaring pedestrians, it's a bleedin' disgrace. Also, when I'm in my car going 50-60kph, why do cyclists give out when I get too close?"

There is no hope for this man.

Niall Ring - The King of Car Dependency.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Chuchote wrote: »
    And it got published! Under the heading "Cyclists and the towpaths of irony" one Kieran Ryan of Drumcondra writes:

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cyclists-and-the-towpaths-of-irony-1.3101947
    oh, i hope the irish times puts that on its facebook page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,169 ✭✭✭plodder

ThisRegard wrote: »
    To follow through on this, what should the speed limit be on roads immediately adjacent to footpaths?
    I'm not looking for speed limits on cycle paths. So, I don't think speed limits are the issue. But there's a higher duty of care on parents when walking on the side of the road. The point here is that parents and children should be allowed walk on a promenade with a little less caution than next to a road. Even on a road motorists have to be looking out for children.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,860 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not looking for speed limits on cycle paths. So, I don't think speed limits are the issue. But there's a higher duty of care on parents when walking on the side of the road. The point here is that parents and children should be allowed walk on a promenade with a little less caution than next to a road. Even on a road motorists have to be looking out for children.

So limits on such roads therefore should also be reduced so that motorists can stop immediately.

I had an argument, I won't sully the word debate, with someone on another forum here who was complaining that a limit of 50 was too low along a road that went through a residential area for about 1000 metres or so, despite a footpath going right alongside it, many entrances directly into houses, other roads, and business premises.

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So limits on such roads therefore should also be reduced so that motorists can stop immediately.

I had an argument, I won't sully the word debate, with someone on another forum here who was complaining that a limit of 50 was too low along a road that went through a residential area for about 1000 metres or so, despite a footpath going right alongside it, many entrances directly into houses, other roads, and business premises.

The amount of people that don't join the dots between lower speeds and pedestrian survivability in a collision is a bit worrying.

30 km / hr limit extended in certain residential areas in Dublin this week and it's like the sky had fallen in - "time for flag men", "children shouldn't be on the roads", "how will my engine manage this" - all comments from social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Here it is. Surprised someone has taken a hammer to the feckin' thing.

The below-the-line pithecanthropoids are out in full force there.

I'd be interested to see how long this initiative lasts after the first heart attack it causes (assuming it's not all made up).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The below-the-line pithecanthropoids are out in full force there.

I'd be interested to see how long this initiative lasts after the first heart attack it causes.

About 20 years ago I was in Marseille while inter railing. There were red lights on for pedestrians, policeman was directing traffic besides it and people still crossed the road in their droves. Maybe it is not as bad now but otherwise I'm not surprised they are looking at alternatives.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement