Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Professionally dressed, 3 piece suits or pro peleton kit?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Fian wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/professionally-dressed-cyclists-making-clontarf-promenade-unsafe-woman-claims-1.3101610

These cyclists may be dangerous not to mention "wreckless" but all the same at least they are professionally dressed. Wouldn't want any scruffy elements impinging on the promenade.
    There are two other footpaths near there, including the one right next to the sea, which cyclists aren't allowed to use. So, why would you want to put your toddler on the one path that cyclists are allowed to use?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

While "professionally dressed" is a kind of funny way of putting it, it is a real dick move to be roaring at a kid
    plodder wrote: »
    There are two other footpaths near there, including the one right next to the sea, which cyclists aren't allowed to use. So, why would you want to put your toddler on the one path that cyclists are allowed to use?

Because the kid was on a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Had this myself on phoenix park cycle lane last year, some tool yelling at me and my 10 year old son. There's d!cks on all sort of transport, but this one feeds into the IT's anti-cycling agenda quite nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,550 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I’ve seen some bad behaviour and bad cycling on that stretch.

Always forty somethings on road bikes wearing good gear or club gear.

One group roaring at other cyclists to “move” and get out of the way.

Another group stopping and bullying a lone skateboarder off the track.

Another guy shouting in to a pedestrian boys ear that wondered on to the lane. The boy was very upset and crying, he had other cyclist had to stop to comfort him. He had milld intellectual difficulties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

maybe a toddler shouldn't be in the cycle lane?, of course you should always encourage chidlren to cycle in the safe lanes, but as the name suggest _toddlers_ don't have full control, if she taking speed limits maybe there should be a minimun speed limit for cycle lanes like 2 miles an hour.

Because the kid was on a bike.
    Maybe you have to be there to see exactly what the circumstances were, but a toddler on a trike doesn't sound safe to me, in the bike lane. I think some people go looking for trouble.

maybe a toddler shouldn't be in the cycle lane?, of course you should always encourage chidlren to cycle in the safe lanes, but as the name suggest _toddlers_ don't have full control, if she taking speed limits maybe there should be a minimun speed limit for cycle lanes like 2 miles an hour.

Why shouldn't a toddler be in the cycle lane? I cycle my kid to school each morning and have to negotiate youngsters on bikes, scooters etc - as long as we're not d!cks about it, people get along.

We as cyclists need to understand that they're not all there for "professionally dressed" cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Had this myself on phoenix park cycle lane last year, some tool yelling at me and my 10 year old son. There's d!cks on all sort of transport, but this one feeds into the IT's anti-cycling agenda quite nicely.

Agenda is the key word here. How often do you hear a car horn beep? Each time you hear one it's usually as part of an attempt to bully another road user, be it a pedestrian, a cyclist, or another driver. The car horn could mean 'hurry up' or 'get out of my way' or 'I'm angry with you because I'm just a jerk'.

When was the last time you saw a headline article in a national newspaper about a specific incident involving a driver bullying another, more vulnerable, road user? I can't remember one.

This doesn't excuse or condone the behaviour of the bullies on bikes, I simply want to point out why I think the article is evidence of an agenda against people on bikes.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

People regularly cycle with their kids on that track and on similar such as the Phoenix Park. It's perfect for families, because there's a footpath alongside the cycle track allowing you to walk next to them.

Anyone who wants to gun it along the coast can always use the road.

• Advertisement

Why shouldn't a toddler be in the cycle lane? I cycle my kid to school each morning and have to negotiate youngsters on bikes, scooters etc - as long as we're not d!cks about it, people get along.

We as cyclists need to understand that they're not all there for "professionally dressed" cyclists.
    if your kid is going to school they are not a toddler.

if your kid is going to school they are not a toddler.

Not sure I got your point. He's clearly not a toddler, but at some point he was. We were using the cycle lanes when he was 2 or 3 with stabilizers. There's plenty of toddlers using the cycle lanes around my neighbourhood.

I still don't get why they wouldn't prefer to use the footpath next to the sea. Goes without saying that people shouldn't be shouting, roaring or cycling too fast. People would be crossing over the cyle path there all the time anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Anyone on two or three wheels is a brother or sister of the road; however, a babby on a trike should have someone older accompanying for safety.

Not sure I got your point. He's clearly not a toddler, but at some point he was. We were using the cycle lanes when he was 2 or 3 with stabilizers. There's plenty of toddlers using the cycle lanes around my neighbourhood.

the mixed group of parents not on bikes and toddle on tricycle makes it a different situation. If the toddler fell across the cycle track it suggests that they were coming from the pedestrian side, maybe they suddenly appeared from behind the parentsm which led to shouts of alarm from the cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

I never see them being used around Carpenterstown. Ok, maybe once, but they are usually full of people walking dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

If anyone's feeling like writing a reply to that letter in the Times (other than CC's excellent one), it might be nice to say that the opposition of people going for a walk to "cyclists" is not really in question - it's people on bikes and people walking, who should be able to coexist courteously.

Roadhawk wrote: »
    I never see them being used around Carpenterstown. Ok, maybe once, but they are usually full of people walking dogs.

Yeah they're busy enough ok, morning times used by the odd commuter and kids cycling to school. I'll avoid them myself on my own - as you say people walking dogs, joggers who seem to love the tarmac etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

i use the cycle path along the coast when out training but also exercise due caution and treat people as i'd want to be treated.

the problem here is people being d1ckheads, plain and simple.

on a related note, i'm intrigued by the specific nature of the FOI request that must have been submitted for this!

and further, given the comments here about the anti-cycling agenda of the irish times, i like their line encouraging people to subscribe. "facts have no agenda, real news has value" :D

I've never believed the Times to have any anti-cycling agenda. I've always found it quite positive in its portrayal of cycling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I've never believed the Times to have any anti-cycling agenda. I've always found it quite positive in its portrayal of cycling.

i don't have any opinion their agenda as haven't read enough relevant coverage from them, just responding to the other comments in the thread.

amazing that this is the 2nd story on their front page though. thank god there aren't more important things going on in the world, or indeed in ireland.

edit: and it's the most read story!

edit: and it's the most read story!

Probably everyone clicking through from here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Some club cyclists can be richards, I think we can all agree on that. Sounds to me that the lady in the Times encountered such a creature.

As an aside what do folk think an acceptable speed is to be going along such tracks? I'd reckon 30km max if there are others about, if it's clear then gun it for your threshold training. Just a bit of cop on really.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mirrormatrix

I have a funny feeling it won't be that way for long. Surely the natural consequence of the improvement in cycling infrastructure will be that cyclists will no longer be entitled to use the road where a cycle path exists?

P_1 wrote: »
    Some club cyclists can be richards, I think we can all agree on that. Sounds to me that the lady in the Times encountered such a creature.

As an aside what do folk think an acceptable speed is to be going along such tracks? I'd reckon 30km max if there are others about, if it's clear then gun it for your threshold training. Just a bit of cop on really.

I don't think it's a set number really. Whatever speed necessary that allows you to slowdown and pass a slower moving cyclists when safe to do so.

Definitely think club spins should be using the road. The track isn't suitable for large groups.

Just realised it is referring to the Dollymount to Sutton section which has cyclists and pedestrians next to each other. The cyclists were right out of order in that case.. Quite dangerous to go fast along there when there are young children about :o

I don't think it's a set number really. Whatever speed necessary that allows you to slowdown and pass a slower moving cyclists when safe to do so.

Definitely think club spins should be using the road. The track isn't suitable for large groups.

I'd certainly agree with that. While it's great fun being in a train, places like the Clontarf path aren't suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Niall Ring on newstalk now. Free for all with cyclists on the cycle track in Clontarf apparently. They also get upset when he drives too close to them, he cannot understand why.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Need for speed limits for cyclists according to Ring.

• Advertisement

Does that mean free Garmins for all? :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement