Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

what does doubling the number of meetings actually take us to? four? eight?

Two?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

theoretically, it could even take us to one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

theoretically, it could even take us to one.
    Is it possible to have half a meeting?

Can't have been zero as 0 x 2 is still 0.

Unless...that's exactly what he meant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

could have been one meeting every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/badly-behaved-cyclists-are-giving-the-lycra-fraternity-a-bad-name-35785989.html

Campbell Spray plays cliche bingo in the motors section - this is the sort of relentless repetition of bald anti cycling rubbish that sticks in people's heads. I despair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,162 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

The Lycra Fraternity? I must still be a Fred, they've not taught me the handshake yet.

post-2-banner.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

flatface wrote: »
    http://m.independent.ie/life/motoring/badly-behaved-cyclists-are-giving-the-lycra-fraternity-a-bad-name-35785989.html

Campbell Spray plays cliche bingo in the motors section - this is the sort of relentless repetition of bald anti cycling rubbish that sticks in people's heads. I despair.

https://twitter.com/CampbellSpray/with_replies?lang=en

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cian McCormack (@cian_mccormack) will be reporting on his cycle next week from Mayo to Fermanagh to Kerry and other counties on Morning Ireland and RTE News, RTE Radio 1.

irelandbybike@rte.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Initiation to the fraternity takes place in a secret ceremony that takes place on the first full moon of the year atop the Shay Elliott.

• Advertisement

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/midlife-crisis-trying-not-to-turn-into-an-ahole-cyclist-35783162.html

Kind of weird articles cropping up in the Indo of late, obviously the "Motorists v cyclist" articles have run their course. So here's on that puts cyclists against cyclists. Jesus wept. Anyone tried the W200 on a Dutch bike BTW? Perhaps the author could take it on in a pair of skinny jeans and lumberjack shirt and report back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

To save anyone giving them the clicks they so desperately desire, what's the gist of the nonsense?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

ThisRegard wrote: »
    To save anyone giving them the clicks they so desperately desire, what's the gist of the nonsense?
    Something something cyclists should be grateful for not getting killed too much for not paying road tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

flatface wrote: »

Did not think about the Journalism thread and posting it up. It's a shocking and very polarising piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So what is the list, from worst to best, kind of cyclists then? I'll go with:

Triathletes
    Full kit wayne kerrs on a 5k commute
    Full kit wayne kerrs
    Couriers
    Hipsters on fixies
    Businessmen on a Dublin Bike
    MTBers in summer
    GAA shorts on a rusty hybrid during a bus strike guy
    Teenage son's rusty BMX during a bus strike guy
    WA putting us all to shame on a 500km loop of Wicklow
    Somebody on a Dutch Bike
    Those hardy souls who do a 150km sportive on a rigid MTB with bull bars
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

P_1 wrote: »

"Cyclists" apparently.

No need for a list judging by how much of the media spews sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Lemming wrote: »
    "Cyclists" apparently.

Yep. Apparently we are all the same. But there are all types of motoring types, even a particular breed that do some commuting by ordinary bike during the week and have a faster lighter bike for the weekend spins (with the fraternity).

P_1 wrote: »

Triathletes
    Full kit wayne kerrs on a 5k commute
    Full kit wayne kerrs
    Couriers
    Hipsters on fixies
    Businessmen on a Dublin Bike
    MTBers in summer
    GAA shorts on a rusty hybrid during a bus strike guy
    Teenage son's rusty BMX during a bus strike guy
    WA putting us all to shame on a 500km loop of Wicklow
    Somebody on a Dutch Bike
    Those hardy souls who do a 150km sportive on a rigid MTB with bull bars
    :P

You left out one:

The Mammy, in her tweed skirt and headscarf, handbag dangling from handlebars, on her Raleigh with skirt guard, looking straight ahead and ringing the bell at crossroads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

Lemming wrote: »
    "Cyclists" apparently.

The human brain seems to have an amazing capacity to divide the world into two categories of "them" and "us". So, when he's driving it probably is just "cyclists" generally. When on his bike, it seems to be those cycling bikes like his, and the a**holes, ie everyone else. Sad.

plodder wrote: »
    The human brain seems to have an amazing capacity to divide the world into two categories of "them" and "us".
    one of my favourite single cartoon strips.

http://www.extrafabulouscomics.com/comic/200/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

a greenway update from irishcycle

couple of really interesting ones here. the linked picture of the dead end at the Limerick / Kerry border is both funny and ridiculous in equal measure!
    The paper reports that the “plan is to have a greenway from Dungarvan to Dublin, from where a greenway will stretch to the west coast. He said funding of €100m is planned to be allocated to this.”

also potential for precedent to be set in Kerry with CPOs planned for purchase of land there. this is what was planned for the Roscommon part of the Dublin - Galway greenway but seemed to fail to cross the first hurdle because of the lack of consultation with landowners.

also potential for precedent to be set in Kerry with CPOs planned for purchase of land there. this is what was planned for the Roscommon part of the Dublin - Galway greenway but seemed to fail to cross the first hurdle because of the lack of consultation with landowners.

You'd wish they'd use CPOs in Connemara, where the Clifden-Galway route and the abandoned West Clare Railway route seem to have come to a halt because of greedy, selfish landowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Chuchote wrote: »
    You'd wish they'd use CPOs in Connemara, where the Clifden-Galway route and the abandoned West Clare Railway route seem to have come to a halt because of greedy, selfish landowners.
    And at the same time the Sligo to Athenry rail line is left to fall apart while Galway and Mayp Co.Co.s continue to block any plan for using a greenway to protect it.
    Despite Irish Rail saying they will hand it over and the Dept of Transport saying it will not reopen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Fian

And another peice from the guardian - cycling round the world in 800 days.

https://www.theguardian.com/travel/2017/jun/07/in-praise-of-cycling-very-slowly-around-the-world

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

Article in the Irish Times today:

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/cycling-scary-and-hazardous-particularly-for-young-men-1.3110533

Cycling ‘scary and hazardous’, particularly for young men
    The study makes several recommendations for increasing cycling safety including improving cycle lanes, introducing traffic calming measures in residential areas and encouraging awareness of cyclists among drivers.
    “In light of the positive impacts for the local population and for the majority of cyclists, it remains important to promote economic incentives like the Bike to Work scheme,” said co-author, UCD professor Vikram Pakrashi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,069 ✭✭✭buffalo

Moflojo wrote: »
    Article in the Irish Times today:

Interesting choice of headline and standfirst:
    Cycling ‘scary and hazardous’, particularly for young men

Study also finds enormous health benefits to cycling and calls for improved infrastructure

Why not...
    Cycling has 'considerable physical and mental health benefits'

Study calls for improved infrastructure to end 'scary and hazardous' conditions

Yeah the article wouldn't get as many clicks if it went like this:

"Study finds enormous health benefits of cycling

The study also calls for improved infrastructure in order to change the perception of cycling as a ‘scary and hazardous’ activity, particularly for young men."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

just reading the independent's version of this story.
    The risk was found to increase with each kilometre travelled

the more i read this line the more it makes me resemble this chap -> :confused:

i remember some ad on tv from my younger years - "here comes the science bit".

edit: i see now that the same line was in the IT article

2nd edit: it costs $31.50 to see the science bit :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

the more i read this line the more it makes me resemble this chap -> :confused
    But the study also highlighted that men aged 20-29 have a particularly high risk of collisions with other vehicles on the road.

This risk was also shown to increase with every extra kilometre they travel, so that some individuals within this category experience a net negative health impact of switching to a cycling commute.
    As it is so highly likely that the risk increaes the further you go I would not have expected them to say it. Therefore I took it to mean that the further your journey the more risk per km.

So if a guy only goes 5km 5 days a week he is less likely to have a crash than a guy going 25km once a week. Even though they have the same km my money would be on the higher distance guy having a higher chance of being in collisons, simply as longer distance guys tend to be on road bikes, going faster, possibly in more of a hurry so willing to take risks, and not on cycletracks, and in the thick of traffic. I see lots of casual commuters using pedestrian lights to avoid roundabouts etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement