Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,263 ✭✭✭robyntmorton

I am in agreement with Williams on one thing at least. I wouldn't use my car against a motorist either.
    Hello Robyn,

Thank you for your response.

The initial comments made by Paul Williams were inappropriate. A clarification was made on May 22 (the same day as they were made) after 8am in which Paul Williams said he would not use his car against a motorist. This was in response to a text which took issue with the comments.

It was felt that a clarification was needed that stated clearly that violence was not condoned and this was carried out on Wednesday May 24.The original comments were inappropriate and this was acknowledgment of that. Those comments were spoken by Paul Williams and represented his view as evidenced by his reference to his own experience of violence.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

Well done Robyn! Tomas and Magic, ye are really hitting the nail on the head there; very strange view re balance from Eric Moylan. He seems to be saying there's no problem with one person demonising cyclists as long as there's somebody else to defend them. What isn't being addressed is the skewed starting point of the discussion, ie the assumption that cyclist safety is largely the responsibility of cyclists themselves,, when all the available evidence points to the contrary.

The following statement form the BAI is quoted in the IT of Dec 8th 2014 "Broadcasters not told to ‘balance’ everything" - (context was Marriage Referendum)
    “While there may be some instances where balance may be required, an automatic requirement for balance is considered unnecessary and inappropriate by the BAI. Indeed the BAI has consistently expressed the view that the application of such an artificial balance can, in and of itself, amount to a lack of fairness in certain circumstances.”

I take that to mean that we could have programmes discussing the real issues facing cyclists with interviewees who know what they're talking about without any need for "Balance" via the likes of Conor Faughan/Mannix Flynn/ Niall Ring/Dublin Town. After a year of vitriol from George, Pat and Paul it's the least we deserve. Or am I only dreaming?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭MediaMan

The main thing I am taking from this Newstalk incident is that it is well worth the effort to make a complaint when the situation warrants. Well done folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

MediaMan wrote: »
    The main thing I am taking from this Newstalk incident is that it is well worth the effort to make a complaint when the situation warrants. Well done folks!

I'd add to that that it has to be complaints (plural),ie kick up a great big noisy fuss. It wasn't much of an apology or an explanation, but to get him under any kind of pressure was a start. Maybe they will mind their manners somewhat in future

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Doc07

RobFowl wrote: »
    PW is a Dick
    He is an absolute Dick
    That is all

Get off the fence will ya,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

While I was at the gym today I received an email from Eric Moylan, the Editor of Newstalk Breakfast

In it, he says

I felt obliged to reply...

I got the exact same reply :rolleyes: I couldn't stomach replying back though, fair play to you!

I got the exact same reply :rolleyes: I couldn't stomach replying back though, fair play to you!

Actually, you inspired me!

Dear Eric,

Thank you for your reply which I believe you sent to a number of complainants. I find it wholly unsatisfactory and will therefore be sending my complaint on to the BAI. Mr. Williams clarification bares no resemblance to his original comments and therefore can not, in my view, be the real explanation for what he said. His whole attitude leaves me in no doubt about his feelings about cyclists (whether he claims to be one or not is irrelevant) or he is deliberately looking to be sensationalist.

You have a responsibility to ensure that individuals opinions don't get in the way of the facts, and the facts are that 8 cyclists are dead so far this year on our roads. I have no doubt that some cyclists behaviour annoys some people, however, this is not reason enough to continue with the abysmal and dangerous behaviours displayed by many motorists who are encouraged by opinions expressed on the breakfast show and indeed by other presenters of your station. There is no 'balance' in this discussion because to allow both views to be expressed means that it is okay for some people to think this retaliatory behaviour is acceptable. The discussion should always be focused on the fact that someone driving a machine that weighs thousands of KG's, no matter how annoyed they are at another road user, can not use that machine in a threatening and dangerous manner.

Yours sincerely,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

A bittersweet piece

http://www.independent.ie/life/family/family-features/after-every-cycle-i-visit-tonyas-grave-woman-who-lost-sister-in-tragic-road-accident-to-cycle-360km-in-her-memory-35747331.html
    A grieving sister has embarked on a gruelling training regime to take part in a 360km race in memory of her sibling, who tragically died in a road accident in February.
    Ciara McEvoy's sister Tonya (34) died instantly when she was knocked off her bike by a passing motorist while out with her cycle club the Orwell Wheelers in Kildare.

How New York turned from motor hell to heaven for people on bikes

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2016/mar/11/cycling-fights-new-york-mean-streets-janette-sadik-khan
    Sadik-Khan remains best known for the rapid rollout of around 400 miles of cycling routes during her six-and-a-half years in charge of the $2bn (£1.4bn) annual budget of New York City’s Department of Transportation, and the later opening of the Citi Bike cycle share scheme.

But in parallel she also oversaw a series of new rapid bus routes and the carving out of dozens of pedestrianised plazas from space previously reserved for cars, including the initially controversial remodelling of Times Square.

Sadik-Khan now advises other cities how to follow suit via the ex-mayor’s self-styled philanthropic consultancy, Bloomberg Associates. She has also condensed her vision into a book, Streetfight: Handbook for an Urban Revolution.

• Advertisement

Chuchote wrote: »

Maybe we should buy some copies of her book and post to the various councils :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Pinch Flat wrote: »

detail on routes here and same comment re cycle lanes.

detail on routes here and same comment re cycle lanes.

The corridors will have a continuous bus lane in each direction, and cyclists will for the most part be taken out of the bus lane and have their own segregated path, separated from both buses and cars.

Presumably meaning they will be put along side foothpaths and loose all right of ways and junctions etc.?

I often think the best place for cycle lane is to the right of the bus lane which would allow both parties to carry on about their business without interfering with each other.

The Clondalkin and Rathfarnham routes are like this, (from what I last heard): Core Bus Corridors allow buses to pass every 10 to 15 minutes, each lane replacing the equivalent of three lanes of car traffic.

One CBC to the city centre is being considered from the Yellow House pub in Rathfarnham down through Harold's Cross Road; another through Terenure and Rathgar into Rathmines; another from Scholarstown past the Blue Haven in Ballyroan, through Kimmage Road Lower and along by Mount St Jerome.

Anecdotal evidence and single case reports are more fun that boring studies😉

Lance; 5 kids, one nut
    Jeans Voigt longest pro cycling career; 6 kids

Doc07 wrote: »
    Anecdotal evidence and single case reports are more fun that boring studies😉

Lance; 5 kids, one nut
    Jeans Voigt longest pro cycling career; 6 kids

The Kenyan report (from which this is an extract, rather than the whole programme, I think) is of a group of people who ride their bikes professionally for more than eight hours a day.

The Kenyan report (from which this is an extract, rather than the whole programme, I think) is of a group of people who ride their bikes professionally for more than eight hours a day.

8 hours. Ouch!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

The Guardian did a terrific little video a few years ago about people who ferried passengers around on the back of their bikes in I think it was Uganda. Presume it's something like "boda boda". Very long days. They put a long cushion on the rear carrier and the passenger sat on that.

Found it:
    https://www.theguardian.com/katine/video/2009/may/22/dennis-ewalu-boda-boda

Videos gone, alas, but this remains:
    A day in the life of Dennis Ewalu, who cycles one of the bicycle taxis that are the only form of transport for most Katine residents. He regularly cycles 80km a day on a cup of tea and one tiny meal. On a good day he earns £3 to £4 to support his wife and six children

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭I love Sean nos

They went out of their way to push the term "road accident" - I count four uses. At least they didn't mention the condition of the driver even once.

tomasrojo wrote: »
    The Guardian did a terrific little video a few years ago about people who ferried passengers around on the back of their bikes in I think it was Uganda. Presume it's something like "boda boda". Very long days. They put a long cushion on the rear carrier and the passenger sat on that.

It is - another version (no longer available, as tomasrojo says) refers to boda boda.

There are a few boda boda references, but they mainly seem to be referring to motorcycle taxis

Jaysus, and we think our radio jocks are extreme!

Letter to The Irish Times from Ita McCormack of Maynooth

http://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/cyclists-and-the-royal-canal-1.3100433
    I note in Saturday’s Magazine an article on a cycling route along the Royal Canal from Maynooth to Leixlip Celbridge and back to Maynooth (“A pleasant trip back in time”, May 27th). This involves cycling along the canal from Carton to Leixlip. The writer suggests that these towpaths should be”promoted as greenways for cyclists”. Where, may I ask, are walkers supposed to go? I shudder to think of a family of cyclists silently coming up behind me as I walk quietly listening to the birdsong. Where do I go? I certainly have to get out of their way!
    In Maynooth we see teams of cyclists amble along two abreast on the road, with no regard for either pedestrian or motorist, and cycle lanes might as well not be there. Until cyclists have a code of conduct and learn to obey the rules of the road, please keep them off the towpaths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Let's use the tow paths for their original use instead then, that'll soften her cough when she has to navigate piles of horse **** and their depositors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

I shudder to think of a family of cyclists silently coming up behind me as I walk quietly listening to the birdsong. Where do I go? I certainly have to get out of their way!

There's nothing I enjoy more than taking my pack of cyclists out to stalk unsuspecting prey perambulating along the water's edge.

A quick strike to the back of the neck with a handpump usually renders them incapacitated, then I let my little cub cyclists play around with the body - it helps them develop their own hunting and coordination skills.

A decent sized walker can feed a pack of up to seven cyclists, and after a good kill we may not need to eat again for three or four days.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Moflojo wrote: »
    There's nothing I enjoy more than taking my pack of cyclists out to stalk unsuspecting prey perambulating along the water's edge.

A quick strike to the back of the neck with a handpump usually renders them incapacitated, then I let my little cub cyclists play around with the body - it helps them develop their own hunting and coordination skills.

A decent sized walker can feed a pack of up to seven cyclists, and after a good kill we may not need to eat again for three or four days.

Please send this in as a letter.

CramCycle wrote: »

It's an achievement to have left no room for further comment on a letter as asinine as that (Ita's, that is). Ball out of the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

CramCycle wrote: »

I will admit to sending it in if it gets published.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/professionally-dressed-cyclists-making-clontarf-promenade-unsafe-woman-claims-1.3101610

These cyclists may be dangerous not to mention "wreckless" but all the same at least they are professionally dressed. Wouldn't want any scruffy elements impinging on the promenade.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement