Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It's not unusual in public bodies for all public communications to be vetted by the CEO. Personally I haven't seen a Chairperson being involved in this.

If all communications are going to a CEO to be approved it says two things.
    1. Communication Managers are overpaid.
    2. It's no wonder many public bodies are making painful progress if the CEO is spending their time on such duties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

2. It's no wonder many public bodies are making painful progress if the CEO is spending their time on such duties.

Often happens in private companies too. The CEO is where the buck stops, of course he should vet any material public statement for the company or in the public authority in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Often happens in private companies too. The CEO is where the buck stops, of course he should vet any material public statement for the company or in the public authority in this case.

A bad approach in my opinion. The function of the RSA is public awareness, they are going to be publishing a lot of information for the public. The CEO's role should be in appointing a suitably capable communications manager and team and then reviewing KPI's as appropriate but approving copy sounds like micro-managing and setting out to allow for confusion as to responsibility more so than removing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

While there is some truth in what you say, if you're going to be the person at the Dail committee answering in public, it is not unreasonable to have a process to validate what goes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

amcalester wrote: »
    Email from the RSA today states

I originally asked if it was written by an RSA employee and was told it was written by the communications manager.
    The article that was submitted for publication was written by Brian Farrell.
    Now, they’re saying submitted for publication. I didn’t cop the difference until just now.

if thats a direct quote from the RSA, then?? its very confusing...

I've got the impression that RSA is full of marketing twats and few actual experts (remember their inept attempt to copy the truck blind spot depiction https://irishcycle.com/2015/06/29/rsa-accused-of-faking-video-of-bicycles-hidden-in-truck-blindspot/)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

if thats a direct quote from the RSA, then?? its very confusing...

Direct quote and yes it is very confusing, it seems like they might be trying to back track from their earlier statement that the comms Manager wrote the article to merely submitted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

amcalester wrote: »
    Direct quote and yes it is very confusing, it seems like they might be trying to back track from their earlier statement that the comms Manager wrote the article to merely submitted it.

Bizarre behaviour , a good question would be was the official comms manager aware or the article or was there an acting Comms manager.

As I said the piece written ( psyco lanes) seems to go against the previous reasonable position taken by the official comms manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

JMcL wrote: »
    Do the RSA really spout all that guff qouted in that? I mean it's evident they're making a lot of it up as they go along, but "children under 12 shoukd never cycle in any sort of traffic" - not sure where it says that in the road traffic act that appears, but coupled with "never ride on the footpath" the RSA advice is therefore essentially for kids never to ride bikes? FFS

they've got plenty of form for this. read here and ...enjoy.

RSA Expert wrote:
    The RSA recommends that children younger than 12 should not ride bicycles in any type of traffic.

RSA Expert wrote:
    Always obey the Rules of the Road. Other road users will respect you more if you respect the rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Dear Jesus.
    "turning right can be very dangerous"
    What encouragement is this kind of language to anybody thinking of getting a bike for a child?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

I get the strong impression that they have always though that cycling is a hobby, and it's best practised on closed streets in organised events, on Sundays, with hi-viz give-aways as you register.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

That's disgraceful advice. They should be encouraging people to cycle and promoting safe road conditions to do so.

The RSA is a farce.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i did find the labelled diagram of the bike useful. now i know what those two big round things are called.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Dear Jesus.
    "turning right can be very dangerous"
    What encouragement is this kind of language to anybody thinking of getting a bike for a child?

It’s amazing how many cyclists plan their trip to work and weekend cycles that make sure they go straight only. Couldn’t be entertaining a left or right turn now. Waaaaay to dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,165 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    It’s amazing how many cyclists plan their trip to work and weekend cycles that make sure they go straight only. Couldn’t be entertaining a left or right turn now. Waaaaay to dangerous.

Funnily enough UPS in the states do that to, no left turns.

ED E wrote: »
    I was only thinking about that the other day. Heard it on Planet Money podcast, I think. They plan (via software, I think) routes in advance to minimise the number of left turns (equivalent to right turns, here, obviously), so as to minimise delays.

EDIT: I think it's in the audio of this one:
    https://www.npr.org/sections/money/2014/04/17/303770907/to-increase-productivity-ups-monitors-drivers-every-move

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Scientifically known as the Zoolander Effect!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

if memory serves, they actually started to look into it after mythbusters borrowed one of their vans to test the theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

The RSA recommends that children younger than 12 should not ride bicycles in any type of traffic.

Every time Shane Ross is asked about spending on cycling he includes a reference to the Cycle Right scheme which is open to primary school children (think from 4th class up) So, in the light of the above RSA advice, should this training only be available in areas which have Greenways or parks? It does include a road elemen;t so is the advice given - "Now children, remember you wont be able to do this again until you are twelve so be sure to remember everything you're learning"

I'm curious as to how they define traffic. Does cycling on a country road fall into their "kids shouldn't cycle in traffic" definition even though there's a lower likelihood of meeting a car?
    Surely if the road safety body think there's a problem with kids cycling on a road then they've failed at their job?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

I'm curious as to how they define traffic. Does cycling on a country road fall into their "kids shouldn't cycle in traffic" definition even though there's a lower likelihood of meeting a car?
    Surely if the road safety body think there's a problem with kids cycling on a road then they've failed at their job?

Country road likely to have fewer but maybe faster cars?

In fairness,they've failed to the extent that the focus of their awareness campaigns is so skewed towards motorised traffic but by checking trucks, administering the driving test etc they're doing something and it's Gov who has failed by not funding safe cycling infrastructure and enforcement of road traffic legislation.
    Having said that driving test should of course include a requirement to cycle so as to experience the view form the handlebars and not just the windscreen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

It would be interesting to hear their response regarding the above. I.e. why they don't recommend kids cycling "in traffic" (the young kids on bikes are obviously some kind of road furniture?). Is this backed up by ROTR?

And finally, what changes are required to be done after which Mr RSA would recommend young kids to cycle in traffic.

Remember, the RSA update of the old Safe Cross Code ad doesn't show children actually crossing the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Doc07

RSA probably would use this if they could

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Doc07

RSA probably would use this if they could

https://youtu.be/Yiu1uLgwF1E

I tweeted exactly the same thing to them last night, not that I expect a response.

even if you ignore the responsibility for infrastructure (which at the very least they should be actively lobbying the government for), their messaging is so skewed against cycling & cyclists as to further reinforce existing motorist behaviours & attitudes and hence contribute to the environment which makes it unsafe for kids to cycle on the roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭JMcL

Kind of makes sense in the US. Not sure about other states, or even present day for that matter, but when I lived in California in the 90s red equated to "yield" for right turns

I tweeted exactly the same thing to them last night, not that I expect a response.
    Did you get a response from the RSA?

Did you get a response from the RSA?

I'm assuming that's a rhetorical question :pac:

https://twitter.com/SpucklerMr/status/1087101289857728514

If I was a Twitterbook user, I'd reply reminding you that the RSA tell people "don’t cycle on the footpath"
    e.g. http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Pedestrians-and-Cyclists/Cycling-safety/

• Advertisement

If I was a Twitterbook user, I'd reply reminding you that the RSA tell people "don’t cycle on the footpath"
    e.g. http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Pedestrians-and-Cyclists/Cycling-safety/

yep and I'd reply asking how otherwise to cycle safely with a young child while going against the flow of traffic. again I wouldn't expect a reply.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement