Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

tampopo wrote: »
    Aldi in Rathmines get deliveries at 6am

Tesco Ranelagh get theirs at 6am, and were very apologetic when I complained about a one off incident of a truck there at rush hour

• Registered Users Posts: 31,013 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The WTF of this article is best appreciated when read from the start. I won't spoil the surprise by quoting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/murder-of-the-dance-floor-the-irish-nightclub-is-dying-1.3753588

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

You were beaten to it several parts ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Lumen wrote: »
    The WTF of this article is best appreciated when read from the start. I won't spoil the surprise by quoting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/murder-of-the-dance-floor-the-irish-nightclub-is-dying-1.3753588

Its just unreal.

Where The Irish Times is concerned, just about any article can be pepped up with a dig against cyclists.

And yet, they want the higher moral ground of being supportive of cycling.

I'd much prefer the straight Newstalk approach of unashamedly putting the boot in, at least you know where you stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Interesting that the drug value makes the headline.

The value of the bikes stolen is far in excess of that figure; but sure they're only bikes...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

cjt156 wrote: »

The value of the bikes stolen is far in excess of that figure; but sure they're only bikes...

If they found drugs recovering stolen cars they'd lead with the drug story as well in the same way.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

As Lance said: "It's not about the bike"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭zell12

"They were obviously drug pedallers.." :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,482 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

(I) That's debatable - once the bike is purchased, then its second hand, so its 'value' is diminished. A two year old bike that you paid 1000euro for will be valued at around 500euro by an insurance company....if they are paying out on 'current value'.
    (II) I take your point, but I'd also note that the Gardaí discovered the drugs while searching for bike thieves/ not the other way around. I think the notion that the guards do nothing about bike robberies is way out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    (I) That's debatable - once the bike is purchased, then its second hand, so its 'value' is diminished.
    the 3K haul of cocaine & cannabis is likely a few joint butts and some dust scraped off a rolled up 50!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Didn't see them get involved with removing that car on Aungier Street for weeks when they were all concerned about cyclists and safety
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1084840272058597376?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Someone's listening!

https://www.eveningecho.ie/nationalnews/Three-arrested-in-Cork-as-suspected-stolen-bikes-recovered-by-gardai-ebea6243-a16f-446a-8bc5-f44daf3dded5-ds

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Six Ways the Media is Still Blaming the Victim
    usa.streetsblog.org/2019/01/14/six-ways-the-media-is-still-blaming-the-victim

Nothing new for readers of this thread but it's clearly laid out and could be sent to journalists to teach them the error of their ways.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

reading sh1t like this makes me really bloody angry.

Ministers criticise increased drink-driving checkpoints

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

Read that earlier. My favourite is the call of 'police state', which I guess in this context means a state where police operate?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Another Minister said community policing was the backbone of how An Garda Síochána worked and suggested “stopping people going to Mass” could undermine that.
    it'll only stop them going to mass if they're actually over the limit. does not compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Makes me laugh when cyclists are accused of having a sense of "entitlement" - especially since the accusation in a lot of cases probably comes from the same people that give out about driving laws being enforced like this.

In the same way when driving down a 60kph road I've taken to saying "F*CKING HYPOCRITES!" at the 95% of drivers that pass me a good 10-20kph faster because logically I think many of them must be the same people that get on thejournal.ie at every opportunity to rant about cyclists going through red lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Also, I can't imagine the gardai would continue pouring ample resources into morning checks if they weren't actually detecting many people over the limit.

Did it not occur to any of these people complaining that the reason the gardai are probably doing so much morning checking in certain areas is because, y'know, they're actually catching lots of people in the morning who are behind the wheel and endangering others as they are not fit to drive safely ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Duckjob wrote: »
    Also, I can't imagine the gardai would continue pouring ample resources into morning checks if they weren't actually detecting many people over the limit.

Did it not occur to any of these people complaining that the reason the gardai are probably doing so much morning checking in certain areas is because, y'know, they're actually catching lots of people in the morning who are behind the wheel and endangering others as they are not fit to drive safely ?

doesn't it say that 10% of those caught in December were in the morning time? so there is a problem that needs to be tackled. allocate more resources to evening / night time checks but continue morning time checks also. if nothing else it might deter those who are still feeling rough from the night before from getting behind the wheel.

• Advertisement

Remember that RSA **** piece in the Indo a few weeks ago, well that was the toned down version. The story on the front page below is staggering given it allegedly came from an "expert" in the RSA.
    https://twitter.com/thetimesIE/status/1086045631481868293?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 21,518 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Hurrache wrote: »
    Remember that RSA **** piece in the Indo a few weeks ago, well that was the toned down version. The story on the front page below is staggering given it allegedly came from an "expert" in the RSA.

An easier post to read.

https://twitter.com/SafeCyclingEire/status/1086050226845220865

Not sure how hard they worked to try to get the name of the author.

The RSA responded to a query from a friend of mine and said who it was.

Was there any googling done as to the qualifications of the "expert" and his/her history within the RSA?

I guess they maybe redacted the name for the Times as they didn't want it published.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Hurrache wrote: »
    Was there any googling done as to the qualifications of the "expert" and his/her history within the RSA?

I guess they maybe redacted the name for the Times as they didn't want it published.

I emailed the RSA at the time and was told that it was the Communications Manager who
    is a member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists and also has a RoSPA Gold Advanced Driving Qualification. They have also been working in road safety for the past 16 years.

Both of those are driving qualifications which anyone can do in a few hours.

Google throws up a name of the RSA Communications Manager but I couldnt find a LInkedIn profile for him so difficult to know if he has any actual Road Safety experience.

I don't want to name him here as that may be unfair but it should be easy to find.

mind if i tweet your post to richie oakley, amcalester?

though - further to my comments before about it being incredible that a communications manager wrote the article as it was published, if it is true that a communications manager wrote the unpublished article, it becomes properly head scratching. and a matter for resignation, IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

mind if i tweet your post to richie oakley, amcalester?

Yeah, go for it. I'm not on Twitter or I'd have done it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Not sure it is the communications manager , reading this article

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/how-to-reduce-cycling-deaths-and-accidents-in-ireland-1.3484062

There is a lack of understanding for and appreciation of cyclists. We are at great pains to try to get across the message that the road is a shared space and everybody is entitled to use it. No user has a greater entitlement than any other'.

• Advertisement

well, the question still is who went off-message and managed to fire off an off-message article to a national newspaper; and if they did so without authorisation, are they going to be disciplined?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement