Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

Uber's plan to deploy stationless e-bikes in Dublin has been rebuffed by officials
    https://www.thejournal.ie/uber-stationless-bikes-2-4457359-Jan2019/

Based on the experience in other cities, the council is committed to a gradual approach to the development of stationless bikes in the city

I live in Sacramento now (and lived by a Dublin Bikes stand for five years) and they took a slow approach to allowing Jump bikes in the city, and it's really paid off. They're a huge success. The service agreement with the city means they're redistributed regularly, there are warnings if you lock them to anything but a bike stand, then fines for locking them outside the catchment area. There are incentives (free rides) for cycling bikes with low batteries to proper Jump racks and for cycling to areas of demand. They're $1 for 15 minutes but unemployed and students get their first 60 minutes/day for $5 and $30 for a year.

They could be great for Dublin, say going from town to Santry to get you up the long tedious hill.

New York has better incentives for their bike share, meaning people use it to get fit (drop off bike, jog to next bike, cycle to dock, repeat) and earn a little. This is a good 10 minute documentary on it: https://vimeo.com/284731660

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,544 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That was highly entertaining, regrettably, I could see traits of myself in some of those interviewed (not just the T1 Diabetic). I like the fact that the main leader knows how odd his behaviour is, spoken like a true addict.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

They're $1 for 15 minutes but unemployed and students get their first 60 minutes/day for $5 and $30.

Am I misreading something? Why do they charge the students and unemployed an extra $1 per hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

buffalo wrote: »
    Am I misreading something? Why do they charge the students and unemployed an extra $1 per hour?

Could be like the "special offer" 2litres family size for €2.49 or €0.99 for 1litre.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭BrianHenryIE

buffalo wrote: »

My bad. It’s $5/year and $30/year for unemployed/students giving 60 minutes/day before any extra charges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

for those not on Twitter, the Gardaí have been telling people over the weekend to take down videos showing license plates of offending vehicles, for "data protection" reasons.

covered in the Time Ireland edition here today. I'm not going to copy the whole article but interesting expert opinion offered...
    Daragh O’Brien, managing director of Castlebridge, a privacy consultancy firm, said that a person would need to have access to the national vehicle database to identify a driver. “A reg number is not personal data,” he added.

also covered on Broadsheet

edit...I now see some of this has been touched on in the near misses thread also...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

for those not on Twitter, the Gardaí have been telling people over the weekend to take down videos showing license plates of offending vehicles, for "data protection" reasons.

covered in the Time Ireland edition here today. I'm not going to copy the whole article but interesting expert opinion offered...

The obvious follow on from this would be that you could challenge your speed camera penalty points on data protection grounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

edit...I now see some of this has been touched on in the near misses thread also...

Ciara Kelly on Newstalk talking about Gardai asking cyclists not to share pics of dangerous drivers/ parking on social media now....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly on Newstalk talking about Gardai asking cyclists not to share pics of dangerous drivers/ parking on social media now....

Have they started talking about helmets, hi-vis, insurance and "road tax" yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,521 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

RobbieMD wrote: »
    Pinch Flat wrote: »

Turned in to a pretty good discussion. Ciara wasn't as anti-cyclist as many public commentators. Definitely was hearing points about the sense of feeling unsafe and the unsuitable quality/availability of cycle lanes.

The guy that is going around Dublin recording cyclists breaking lights and not riding in cycling lanes seemed fixated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Pinch Flat wrote: »

No, but we had RLJ cyclists, cycling on footpaths, not using cycle lanes and people getting stuck behind country road mega-pelotons for 45 minutes.

Turned in to a pretty good discussion. Ciara wasn't as anti-cyclist as many public commentators. Definitely was hearing points about the sense of feeling unsafe and the unsuitable quality/availability of cycle lanes.

The guy that is going around Dublin recording cyclists breaking lights and not riding in cycling lanes seemed fixated.

To be fair, Ciara Kelly was balanced enough I thought, although she gave an inordinate amount of airtime to the crank who spent his time standing on the side of the street filming cyclists on his phone. It was a pity she didnt challenge him to spend a bit of time videoing junctions for cars breaking red as he was clearly just determined to further his own anti-cyclist bias.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Duckjob wrote: »
    ...the crank who spent his time standing on the side of the street filming cyclists on his phone...

Rule 36

No matter what it is, there is at least one person out there who gets off on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Duckjob wrote: »
    No, but we had RLJ cyclists, cycling on footpaths, not using cycle lanes and people getting stuck behind country road mega-pelotons for 45 minutes.

I wonder how far you would travel behind a "mega peleton" in 45 mins? 20-30km? Long stretch of road there with no opportunity to overtake!

check_six wrote: »
    I wonder how far you would travel behind a "mega peleton" in 45 mins? 20-30km? Long stretch of road there with no opportunity to overtake!

If we take a guess of a 30kph average on the open road (which I would be inclined to say is conservative for that class of rider), that would be a 22.5km stretch of road.

I would love any of these type of complainers to be taken to task to actually provide the detail in these cases-

- where was the road/route they were travelling
    - when/where did they get behind the peloton ?
    - when/where did they pass it?

I have just the tiniest inkling that with these facts provided, and with the aid of Google Maps, pretty much all of these types of complaints would be revealed as complete fabricated sh*te

• Registered Users Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

Irish Times now also running a piece on this here.
    Garda Headquarters was unable to comment on Sunday night but said it would as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Rule 36

No matter what it is, there is at least one person out there who gets off on it.

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#36

The real rule #36

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

It was on the 6.1 news, they showed around 7 or 8 clips of close passes by drivers and then went on to show a Garda tweet saying not to post clips online and go report it instead, data protection given as the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The Gardai backed down on their data protection excuses when providing a statement to RTE.

They're now citing that they believe there's an inheritant danger in posting videos to social media. Yup, they're more concerned with virtual danger as opposed to the danger caught on camera.

I found it amusing there was an ad for giving 1.5 metres when passing cyclists during the subsequent ad break.

• Advertisement

No mention of the same message for drivers? By virtue of numbers there are far, far more dashcam videos posted.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Gardai don't care about GDPR. Gardai don't care about social media faux-vigilantism.

They're worried about this
    Garda accused of ‘embarrassing’ failure to enforce cycle lanes
    I Bike Dublin says it found 491 instances of motorists parking in cycle lanes in a week
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/garda-accused-of-embarrassing-failure-to-enforce-cycle-lanes-1.3333922

But if they wanna play that game the above is exactly what they'll get.

Yeah find the GDPR excuse a bit nauseating myself. Posting footage of a car driving dangerously and doing a close pass on a cyclist does not identify who was behind the wheel, only the make/model/reg plate of the car.

In any case people should be reporting these incidents to the Gardai, posting it online only won't really improve anything

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Muahahaha wrote: »
    In any case people should be reporting these incidents to the Gardai, posting it online only won't really improve anything
    I think that's the issue.
    Many people aren't bothering going to the gardai because they've learnt from experience that the gardai will not give it any amount of priority.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,629 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe it's time for a #gardaididntcare hashtag.
    specifically for incidents that the gardai won't deal with.

I think that's the issue.
    Many people aren't bothering going to the gardai because they've learnt from experience that the gardai will not give it any amount of priority.

yeah definitely seems to be a problem. As MB said maybe it is time for a co-ordinated campaign on non action from the Gardai to careless & dangerous driving

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

maybe it's time for a #gardaididntcare hashtag.
    specifically for incidents that the gardai won't deal with.

Apart from the "won't deal with" what David Ó Laighneáin seems to be saying on twitter & on that news clip and indeed people on the Near Miss thread here too is that the reporting is time-consuming and cumbersome, you have to provide your video on usb, have to go to station, only the original garda can give you an update and given the pattern of garda shift-work he/she can be impossible to get hold of' so many people give up reporting altogether. That was contrasted with the simplicity of uploading a clip directly to #WMPRHRD and other UK forces.

Couple that with reports of people being told by a garda "you could just go around the car" and it's no wonder people vent their frustration on SM where at least fellow cyclists will sympathise

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Unless its pretty significant (near death experience) AGS won't act so nobody bothers. A huge proportion of the images posted are #FreeTheCycleLanes which is a minor violation that shouldn't require reporting each instance of. We're literally watching Garda RPU cars drive past them.

Some of them get it, but not many.
    https://twitter.com/GardaTraffic/status/1082723312625700865

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah definitely seems to be a problem. As MB said maybe it is time for a co-ordinated campaign on non action from the Gardai to careless & dangerous driving

Yep, fully support this. I'm sick of feeling like a sucker for following the rules and watching other people do stupid things and get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ferris

reporting is time-consuming and cumbersome, you have to provide your video on usb, have to go to station, only the original garda can give you an update and given the pattern of garda shift-work he/she can be impossible to get hold of' so many people give up reporting altogether.

Gave a statement that day on a close one pass that occurred on the 10th Jan, reported on the 16th, contacted by a Garda on Friday and statement given with a usb containing a vid today. Agreed the usb piece is a bit odd but overall it was relatively painless and the Gardaí involved were sound. Once the behavior is there it’s more likely that a less wasteful process could be implemented in future.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement