Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Autumn/Winter 2016/2017 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,207 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Midday Christmas day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

I think that is the tightest gradient I've ever seen from a GFS Op over Ireland. Destructive winds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,227 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

So it's fairly guaranteed that a Storm Barbara isn't too far away, the real question is how strong it's going to be.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Deepening to 950mb on the 18Z, goes on as low as 948mb . Note the charts are Mean speeds. What will the ECM do ?

AJisFG1.png?1

BUKP3QD.png?1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Been a while F5'ing a morning GFS run....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

Been a while F5'ing a morning GFS run....

Likewise. The 23rd storm looks worse again on the 6z gfs but it looks like the worst of it will now miss us to the nw thankfully. 25th not shown yet....

See below:-

gfs-0-108.png?6?6

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Downgrade but still bad for the northern half of the country on xmas day.

Think I'll be asking to work from home on Friday :P

Was expecting much more of a downgrade a few days ago than what we are seeing!

A little excited for the first storm, it just has terrible timing.

On the 6z Christmas day is (thankfully) a non event wind wise for all but the very North West I'd have said? See below...

gfs-0-144.png?6?6

Snow risk downgraded too of course.....:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭gugsy

On the 6z Christmas day is (thankfully) a non event wind wise for all but the very North West I'd have said? See below...

Not entirely true it is a bit of a downgrade and tracking a little further north. But we are still 6 days out, any deviation is massive. Current models have us catching the edge of the storm with wind between 80-100 kph and gusts from 100-150 kph. Even on the Irish sea there will be strong winds enough to cancel a crossing or two if they are travelling Xmas day. Lots of changes to come yet tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Does the depression for these current charts for the end of this week exist anywhere as yet, or still just FI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Does the depression for these current charts for the end of this week exist anywhere as yet, or still just FI?

Small trough moving into Alaska today I think. Very volatile indeed.

Onto pure FI now....

Scandi high anyone? :rolleyes:
    gfsnh-0-384_hmo8.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭fraxinus1

Phew! I was a bit worried about those storms over the Christmas. Thankfully it is now looking like non events. Last thing we needed is a major storm hitting on Christmas Day. My folks in Donegal were very worried as they has heard that the worst storm in 40 years was going to hit on Christmas Eve.

fraxinus1 wrote: »
    Phew! I was a bit worried about those storms over the Christmas. Thankfully it is now looking like non events. Last thing we needed is a major storm hitting on Christmas Day. My folks in Donegal were very worried as they has heard that the worst storm in 40 years was going to hit on Christmas Eve.

I think I used the words non event and shouldn't have. This is just one run. See what the ecm says come 7.30pm tonight I think before getting any comfort. Moreover, the one place that is still slated to get bad winds at present is Donegal - albeit not pass remarkably bad by Donegal standards I would imagine. Could still upgrade I am afraid though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Mod note
    This thread is for technical discussion/analysis of FI charts only.
    For more general discussion, met eireann warnings etc, please use the Christmas Storms or Winter Weather General Discussion threads please.

Thanks guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

a westerly gale from Newfoundland to beyond the Urals!!
    Another winter flushed down the jax!
    Negativity I know but a rut that's impossible to get out of for weeks on end. Sorry.

ECH1-144.GIF?19-0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Winds around Christmas day storm seem to be now windiest Christmas Eve Night into Christmas morning . These charts can only be taken as a loose guidance. It has been downgraded somewhat as the lows push further North. A lot more time for change either way.

MPH

6WulmoT.png

EMT0clp.gif

850hPa

otQzqsl.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Growing model support for a Eurotrash high as we move towards 2017.

Models have shown a move away from a chillier zonal flow that looked as if it would become more prevalent.

The strength of the European high was underestimated by the Ensembles.

EDM1-240.GIF?19-0

For coldies at the very end of the 6z gfs run there is a hint of the beast of the east awakening but very much in FI and no guarantee even then it would make it this far west...

gfs-1-384.png?6?6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Exactly a year ago we saw temperatures of 15/16c at night, I didn't think I'd ever see that again in mid-winter but now I'm not so sure?
    More negativity from me but I find it impossible to find anything positive about a climate where the only difference between winter and summer is the amount of daylight we receive!
    Snow in Ireland is now as rare as snow in the Arabian desert ..... and they even get more than us! http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/bizarre-scene-saudis-ice-skate-9359336

ECM1-240.GIF?20-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Exactly a year ago we saw temperatures of 15/16c at night, I didn't think I'd ever see that again in mid-winter but now I'm not so sure?
    More negativity from me but I find it impossible to find anything positive about a climate where the only difference between winter and summer is the amount of daylight we receive!
    Snow in Ireland is now as rare as snow in the Arabian desert ..... and they even get more than us! http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/bizarre-scene-saudis-ice-skate-9359336

ECM1-240.GIF?20-0
    Have you seen Torshavn in the Faro Islands climate? It's like ours except worse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Captain Snow

Go North High Pressure.....:D

e1cjl0.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Signs of good cold for early January showing up the past few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Better get the Christmas shorts ready.

gem-9-84.png?00

Good lord T+312
    Volcanoes showing up at that distance would be more realistic :D

ArKl0w wrote: »

Good lord T+312
    Volcanoes showing up at that distance would be more realistic :D
    lol I don't just mean t+312, look at Europe and the north of us how cold it's getting and how consistent it's been on the charts

lol I don't just mean t+312, look at Europe and the north of us how cold it's getting and how consistent it's bee

Aye
    However,our high when it sets up needs to head west not east

A high over Russia and East Scandinavia will have no impact on our weather other than to stall rain bearing fronts over the Irish Sea and push up the daffodils!

Hugo has access to the ECM ensemble members (we don't,MT doesn't) they're an important tool but also often wrong (like most models just less so)
    A lot of them shift our high eventually west opening the door to a maritime North and the lesser possibility a polar northeasterly

All too far away to be counted on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

FI looking better for cold, look at December 31st.

gfs-0-210.png?18

And by 2nd January

gfs-0-264.png?18

Of course it's FI but lovely eye candy serious snow blizzard potential around 5th January charts.

gfs-0-336.png?18

• Advertisement

Those building blocks for cold appear 9 days away on 31st December so it's not deep FI :D

We live in hope :)

ECM 12Z has high pressure well to the west of us on December 31st too.

ECM1-240.GIF?22-0

Ahem!! :)

Of course it's only a few runs in FI but it's great not to be looking at mid euro highs, Bartlett high's, westerlies from Newfoundland to the Urals:)

And at least it's relatively early in the winter rather than March.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭Donegal Storm

Ha if something like that came off we'd be looking at one of the most extreme blizzards on record, don't think so somehow but it'd be an interesting intro to 2017

A toppler around new year's looks like a realistic possibility at least

This is the 00z for Jan 2nd
    It's way too far away but let's comment on what it might mean
    It's suggesting our Xmas period high will drift west
    It's suggesting a high of 1044 over Greenland
    It's suggesting a mid Atlantic blocking that's ridging towards western Greenland in a sort of pincer movement to close off anything exiting Canada
    It ties in with what Mr Hugo hinted at above
    What does it mean?
    Nothing this far out as getting to the point of the attached map depends on so many things happening right now
    But usually barring the unforeseen (something not currently modelled like say a storm actually getting out of North America) we could end up with our high out west
    With the Atlantic blocked and vigorous systems over Scandinavia dropping into Europe,that could lead to the north and northeast trap door being opened,lucky we're stocking up on calories in the next week,we may well need them? :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

lets hope wet get a proper blast from the east, even if its only for a few days, it's been way to long since most of us has seen proper lying snow, we all deserve it.

New year's day toppler still a possibility on tonight's ECMWF though mostly dry and cold for us. After that though things stay interesting with an Atlantic block setting up

ECM1-240_qfq6.GIF

Looking nice with -8 to -12 uppers. The beginning of January is looking very cold.

graphe_ens3_mfj9.gif

Increasingly cold trend from new year's day onwards, ECMWF is even more progressive with a massive Atlantic block. Still too far away to bother get excited but at least things are looking interesting for a change

• Advertisement

but at least things are looking interesting for a change

For a change? Didn't they look like this a month ago too?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    For a change? Didn't they look like this a month ago too?

Yeah you're probably right, I was abroad a month ago so can't say I was following things too closely. Every chance this one will end up being a dud again of course

Snow Showers Running down the Irish Sea covering the East Coast......

23u52di.png

6syuz4.png

Winter Just Made its Presence .....

238uhx.png

The 2 lows are going to Explode south......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,633 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Don't know if we want this cold . . .

Biting cold below minus 60C brings out the best in Siberian face fashion
    22 December 2016
    This is not a week when there was any evidence of global warming in western Siberia, with thermometers plunging to the minus 40s and minus 62 Celsius. Meteorologists say it may get colder still.

At Bolshoe Olkhovskoe oilfield there was a new record for the Khanti-Mansi region with a bone-crushing temperature of minus 62C. The village of Kazym in the same district of Beloyarsky hit minus 58C.

A video was posted entitled: 'Surgut men are so hardy they only ride on a swing and eat ice cream at minus 51C.'

In Nadym, it nudged minus 50C, and all schools were closed. In Tyumen, school classes were cancelled from grades 1 to 9, with minus 36C the trigger for children to stay home, although elsewhere in Siberia - for example Yakutia in recent weeks - students are still expected in school at below minus 52C.

Nizhnevartovsk hit minus 50C, the coldest winter in ten years in the city. School classes were cancelled today - and for the rest of the week.

Such temperatures happen in eastern Siberia, but in the west they are more rare.

source

There is another opinion

Arctic Oscillation and Polar Vortex Analysis and Forecasts
    December 19, 2016
    Dr. Judah Cohen from Atmospheric and Environmental Research (AER) recently embarked on an experimental process of regular research, review, and analysis of the Arctic Oscillation (AO). This analysis is intended to provide researchers and practitioners real-time insights on one of North America’s and Europe’s leading drivers for extreme and persistent temperature patterns.

Summary

The Arctic Oscillation (AO) is currently positive and is predicted to first trend positive towards strongly positive and then trend negative back towards neutral. However the models do not predict a negative AO in the foreseeable future.

The positive AO is reflective of mostly negative pressure/geopotential height anomalies in the Arctic and mostly positive pressure/geopotential height anomalies across the mid-latitude ocean basins. With negative heights over Greenland and Iceland, the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) is currently positive and is also predicted to remain positive over the next two weeks.

The persistent positive AO will likely result in a mild pattern over western Eurasia, especially Northern Europe. Cold air currently over Western Asia will be shunted further east into East Asia over the next two weeks.
    <snip>
    Near-Term

1-2 week

The AO is predicted to remain positive for next week (Figure 1). The positive AO is a result of mostly negative geopotential height anomalies across the Arctic basin and mostly positive geopotential height anomalies across the mid-latitude ocean basins (Figure 5a). And with negative geopotential height anomalies predicted near Iceland and Greenland as well, the NAO is also predicted to remain positive this period.

The mid-tropospheric blocking that has been in place for the past two months across western Eurasia is predicted to finally give way. With ridging/positive geopotential height anomalies stretching across Southern Europe and troughing/negative geopotential height anomalies across Northern Europe, will create strong zonal flow across Europe (Figure 5a). This will create a mild westerly flow of maritime air for all of Western Eurasia, resulting in above normal temperatures for Europe, Western Asia and even Western Siberia (Figure 6). Weak ridging/positive geopotential height anomalies downstream over Western Asia will force enough troughing/negative geopotential height anomalies in Central and Eastern Siberia (Figure 5a) to allow for below normal temperatures across the region (Figure 6). Positive geopotential height anomalies will persist across East Asia (Figure 5a) resulting in seasonable to above normal temperatures for East Asia (Figure 6)

source

Nothing major forecast for the Arkhangelsk region or Murmansk region yet.

2u6fkaf.png
    https://www.gismeteo.com/map/557/

Colder conditions forecast for the first week of January 2017 in the Murmansk region and Arkhangelsk.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Advertisement

Quite apart from the fact that Gfs is just 1 run and that the above output is in LA LA LAND
    The ECM model has backed off
    Even suggesting our high will slide into Europe now

Worth keeping an eye on but until there's a trend in the cold direction (And there isn't) ,I shan't be posting any more comments

If anyone wants to know why ,have a look at historical threads from about Jan 5th to the 14 onwards 2007
    A perfect set up leading us all down the garden path
    By about the 14th despite an epic cold spell being 4 or 5 days away on the models,it was all a mistake by them and we and the UK saw no cold spell

Just a sobering warning
    Looking at lala land FI charts is pointless other than the academic what if

Joe Bastardi's tweet earlier may be based on more information like ecm ensemble Data
    But proper forecasters only use those for tricky sub 96hr forecasts
    They don't rely on them out beyond that unless they're very consistent,I suppose as Bastardi has them(so has Hugo) ,tweets from both may give some coldie hopeful insight ?
    Proceed with caution

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Snow Showers Running down the Irish Sea covering the East Coast......

23u52di.png

Certainly possible looking at the 06z run. 20 degree temp spread!

404801.png

404802.png

Definitely one to keep an eye on as models find it hard to predict "lake effect" ppn.

Nice 120Hr chart Snow Showers Rattling in off the Irish Sea. Possible brief spell of cold just have to wait and see how the models change when the cold arrives New Years Day.

15d785s.png

34zlsmg.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Keeping with the same time period.
    The GEM model throws up a perculiar Low Pressure off the south east of Ireland on the 2nd.:rolleyes:

screenshot_1.png

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

https://twitter.com/matthugo81/status/814017611197509632

Also says caution needed, but signs of a decent Greenland block forming.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement