Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (T120+ onwards) Autumn/Winter 2016/2017 **READ MOD NOTE IN FIRST POST**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,650 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I am not feeling too optimistic about a proper block taking hold given the vortex is now set to recover somewhat according to the lastest strat forceasts. The window of opportunity is within the next month according to most lrf before a more zonal pattern takes over, yet the uk met office talk only of slightly below average temperatures, with milder incursions in the south during December, with the north colder overall. So bascially more of the same.. Based on M.T Craniums post it seems he was not confident of high latitude blocking taking place in his long rang forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Again hinting at fairly cold conditions around the weekend of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th of Dec. It's changed so many times though from run to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Whatever about high latitude blocking, it looks like high pressure systems for us all the way in FI with a few days break of a low pressure.
    I think our focus should be on frost at night.

screenshot_1.png

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Whatever about high latitude blocking, it looks like high pressure systems for us all the way in FI with a few days break of a low pressure.

screenshot_1.png

I do enjoy fog and frosty weather, but it will be deeply frustrating if,with the polar vortex being weak compared to last year and a southerly tracking jet, we don't get a few days of widespread snow over low ground in the next few weeks. Maybe it is just being mannerly by waiting till i get home until a monster 1050 hp takes up residence over Greenland;)

pedigree 6 wrote: »

screenshot_1.png

I do enjoy fog and frosty weather, but it will be deeply frustrating if,with the polar vortex being weak compared to last year and a southerly tracking jet, we don't get a few days of widespread snow over low ground in the next few weeks. Maybe it is just being mannerly by waiting till i get home until a monster 1050 hp takes up residence over Greenland;)

• Advertisement

Ok total weather novice here. But would this be what they call SSW (Sudden stratospheric warming) and what would this generally mean for weather here?
    I have picked the best chart.;)

screenshot_1.png

screenshot_1.png

Lol.:D Who likes snow?

screenshot_1.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭hotwhiskey

Well GFS still showing a northerly but 10 days out. So I wouldn't get to excited.
    But on a another note the GFS is very good at picking up northerly especially back in 2010 long before any other model picked up on the data. If this chart was to come off with the high stretching the length of the Atlantic from Greenland and a massive high over Siberia well we would have won the lotto. So our chances are slim. But there is a chance.

gfsnh-0-240.png?6

uksnowrisk.png

NO snow for the east coast:P. Only joking people love seeing everyone getting snow. But I feel we will have a cold December nothing like last year which would'nt be hard to beat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Yes the above would start a shiver followed by snow,2010 style
    Pity it's not the ECM though and say 144 or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

Fairly consistent the last few days showing some good cold around the 1st 2nd of December -8 uppers could see some nice snowfall if it keeps up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Reputations are on the line here, these two couldn't be more different at +240.
    We'll see in ten days time who got it more or less right and who got it wrong! :)
    http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/ecmwf/runs/2016112400/ECM1-240.GIF?24-12
    http://modeles.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfs/runs/2016112406/gfs-0-240.png?6

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭je551e

We'll see in ten days time who got it more or less right and who got it wrong! :)

Who do you tend to think is more accurate?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Neither will be accurate. +240 is a fun run. 😂😂

Around the 72.- 96hr. That's where you judge them. All so take some comparisons on low pressure systems as they track north or south of us. Some models can be more accurate with different weather conditions

je551e wrote: »
    Who do you tend to think is more accurate?
    ECM, this +240 chart for today is outstanding. If the GFS was accurate we'd be having a Nov 2010 now!

ECM1-240.GIF?12

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭kkontour

the GFS wasn't terribly far the ECMWF though
    gfs-0-6_pti7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Reputations on the line at +240? Hardly, You should no better Elmer you are around here long enough.
    kkontour wrote: »
    the GFS wasn't terribly far the ECMWF though
    gfs-0-6_pti7.png

That chart you posted is from yesterday. Check the date in the top right.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

After next weeks settled High Pressure looks like to come back under the influence of an agile Jet around 5 -6th Dec . Temps seem to be a lot milder for the most part in a SW, W airflow bringing air from lower latitudes at times. Looks to be windy and wet IMO.

1HT1KEl.png?1

vhTrQwB.png?1

FmVBSJp.png?1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

A cold end to January in sight!

17013012_2800.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

No mild air coming anytime soon if the UKMO is to be believed. Feeling very chilly at the surface as a raw easterly breeze develops -

UN120-21.GIF

UN144-21.GIF?29-17

FI is +96 hrs at the moment, All to play for...

• Advertisement

Dry though,very dry
    The crucial question is where does the high retrogress?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Looking at the models this morning it looks like when this cool dry spell ends next week we will be in a mild S to SW flow to about mid month. Then it may turn colder again leading into Xmas. Hopefully it's a cold, mild, very cold trend.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Looking at the models this morning it looks like when this cool dry spell ends next week we will be in a mild S to SW flow to about mid month. Then it may turn colder again leading into Xmas. Hopefully it's a cold, mild, to a very cold trend which will be forever chased 10 days away.

Just thought i'd make an edit to your quote!:D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

A few windy spells showing up on the charts with low pressures moving quickly across the Atlantic as they do. Timing , track and strength will only be determined from a few days out as usual. The last chart shows a tasty deepening depression but this may change completely.

8tLLo44.png?1

SCxlnag.png

pRPkNzc.png?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

So is the Atlantic back for good?

From the 6th till the 17th anyway it looks like it, Jet looking active.

FqCwNz0.png?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rarely does it come back alive after 3 months only to die down again 3 weeks later. Let's hope it doesn't have the power to control the entirety of winter.

For 6-8 weeks in my opinion, I'm writing off December and January at least.
    A long dry and settled spell with a quiet Atlantic is always followed by a wet spell and we all know that wet weather in winter always means mobile westerlies.
    This is not a moan. Its a very very long way back from this especially after a dry and blocked two months.
    Of course I'd love to be 100% wrong!

ECM1-168.GIF?02-12

Present indicators sadly suggest Long range winter forecasts for mid December were wrong
    The aptly named beast from above not the east is on its way :mad:

https://twitter.com/matthugo81/status/804684555961692160

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭Tickityboo

For 6-8 weeks in my opinion, I'm writing off December and January at least.
    A long dry and settled spell with a quiet Atlantic is always followed by a wet spell and we all know that wet weather in winter always means mobile westerlies.
    This is not a moan. Its a very very long way back from this especially after a dry and blocked two months.
    Of course I'd love to be 100% wrong!

ECM1-168.GIF?02-12

Wow!! two thirds of winter written off on the 2nd December!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement