Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are you working on currently?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Another simple one- I need a lead dresser/ bossing stick to do a small bit of lead work in the next few weeks so I made this from a nice piece of dense hardwood I had. Not sure what wood it is, it's good and dense though at 833 kg/ cu. m.
    Lovely stuff! Elm?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,350 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

JayZeus wrote: »
    Glad you got out safely all the same. You'll have to put an extra few quid in the collection basket in future. :p

Interesting idea. Do you wire brush it afterwards? Seal it somehow?
    Got the idea from a demo Max Brosi did at our wood turning seminar. I scrub it with a softish brush - the sort you'd scrub hard veg with, and rubbed it down with furniture wax (I used briwax) to seal it - also have it a very light wave with a heat gun, but that was just to melt the wax into the wood pores.

Should also mention - that's cedar. Max was saying the approach works best on wood with large growth rings (he uses spruce and even lleylandii) to get the rippled effect.

Should also mention - that's cedar. Max was saying the approach works best on wood with large growth rings (he uses spruce and even lleylandii) to get the rippled effect.

I have plenty of spruce on hand. If I get near the lathe at the weekend I'll see if I can have a go at it. Thanks for the tips!

I'm playing with a reject Ash bowl at the moment. Much harder to scrub off the char - though I have made it easier by cutting an old paintbrush back so the bristles are less than an inch long, nice and stiff and easier to get into concave surfaces.

• Advertisement

this is the ash bowl; just an experiment, but as you can see the tighter growth rings lead to a much less dramatic effect.
    also, i was having a beer or two while doing it and my wife burst out laughing when i came into the house. i'd obviously been absent mindedly rubbing my face while doing it, and looked like a coal miner.
    the ash was a little less dramatic than the cedar in how it reacted; they both split a bit with the heat, but the cedar bowl was big enough that i was able to hold it in my hand while torching it, and it was snap, crackle and popping enough that i thought it would fall asunder as i held it, but it's still quite sound.

478025.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Lovely stuff! Elm?

Thanks, no idea as to species, the timber it was made from came from my brother-in-law and looks like it make have been a skid (band strap marks) of some sort- so some type of tropical hardwood- Hevea (rubberwood) came to mind but I did measure and weigh it to determine density and Heavea doesn't appear to be as dense as this timber.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

Recently made a lathe stand; turned out well enough:

479184.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Odelay

Tasty!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭pnecilcaser

anyone got any good designs for garden planters from pallet wood or have you pics of ones you have made in the past?

• Advertisement

anyone got any good designs for garden planters from pallet wood or have you pics of ones you have made in the past?

Pinterest is always my first stop for that kind of search; it's the mecca for all plans pallet wood related! https://www.pinterest.ie/search/pins/?q=pallet%20wood%20planter&rs=typed&term_meta[]=pallet%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=wood%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=planter%7Ctyped

ah Pintrest of course, thank you very much for that. It's never something that springs to my mind because I actually hate pintrest as it's always full of projects that are made to look super sexy with nice photos but they often turn out like #nailedit - well for me at least. Ah the frustration.

I started using Google Sketchup recently so I am looking for a well designed, aesthetically pleasing and (most importantly) replicable design. Of course, pallet wood is so variable in size and thickness. I will take a look through the page you suggested and see if there are some elements I could combine into a Sketchup Design

Thanks a mil

nailed-it.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Carved oak box almost done. Base, hinges and a few coats of BLO left to do.

IMG_3796a.jpg

Finished box:

IMG_3815a.jpg

IMG_3812a.jpg

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2019/05/06/finished-3/

Faux-17thCentury oak box with oak lid and ash base, finished with a simple coat of boiled linseed oil. Intended as a baby blanket box for a friend.

Finished box:

IMG_3815a.jpg

IMG_3812a.jpg

http://www.stochasticgeometry.ie/2019/05/06/finished-3/

Faux-17thCentury oak box with oak lid and ash base, finished with a simple coat of boiled linseed oil. Intended as a baby blanket box for a friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

parquetry desk made out of scrap white oak and mahogany

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

That looks incredible, real skill involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

Hi lads beginner woodworker here. I've been making loads of stuff out of left over 2x4s and 2x3s and some old semi solid flooring ha. My friends are sick of me showing them my builds, they have no interest so this thread is perfect :D

Seen this in woodies. It's called a vegtrug. Basically a raised planter. Took a few pictures and gave it a bash.
    I'm proud of it anyway.
    Just needs a bit of sand and stain of something.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/LGXZE9Qfr4XgmosF8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

iamtony wrote: »
    Seen this in woodies. It's called a vegtrug. Basically a raised planter. Took a few pictures and gave it a bash.
    I'm proud of it anyway.

V well made. What veg will you grow in it?

• Advertisement

stuchyg wrote: »
    V well made. What veg will you grow in it?

Thanks, a bit of a mix. It's for the missus really she suffers with her back. Theres a few sad looking herbs and one cabbage in it at the moment. Is say she will plant carrots, lettuce, spinach, scallions and potatoes for Xmas dinner in it this season, it's a bit late for a lot of stuff really.
    We have the greenhouse behind it but it's been sadly neglected this year but that's usually full of peppers and tomatoes.

I'm proud of it anyway.

this look really professional, well done. i'm hoping to try making some planters out of pallet wood soon for the office. Wont be as complicated as this look though!

this look really professional, well done. i'm hoping to try making some planters out of pallet wood soon for the office. Wont be as complicated as this look though!

Thank you, it wasn't actually that hard, most of the work was done on the chop saw. My biggest problem when making it was the bends in the wood. I was using leftovers from a shed build and some of them were really bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭stuchyg

Thank you, it wasn't actually that hard, most of the work was done on the chop saw. My biggest problem when making it was the bends in the wood. I was using leftovers from a shed build and some of them were really bad.

Is that a picade in the background?

stuchyg wrote: »
    Is that a picade in the background?

Arcade 1up it's not doing it any favour being in the shed it's getting destroyed with sawdust. It was in the sitting room time the women got sick of looking at it:pac:

Arcade 1up it's not doing it any favour being in the shed it's getting destroyed with sawdust. It was in the sitting room time the women got sick of looking at it:pac:

LOL - very cool. I've been thinking of building a cabinet for a RetroPie based rig but it keeps getting pushed down the priority list by practical things! :(

Speaking of practical things; I just finished writing up my build of this lathe stand I made for a friend of ours:

https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/5/23/making-a-lathe-stand-for-a-record-power-cl3-professional

483912.jpg

Speaking of practical things; I just finished writing up my build of this lathe stand I made for a friend of ours:

https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/5/23/making-a-lathe-stand-for-a-record-power-cl3-professional

483912.jpg
    looks great! I was browsing your website aswell that's a great read!
    Personally I'd be going mad about your friend using that crappy wood to level it after all the attention to detail with everything else

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4YM3CZJT2zSUXxqH7

So this is my little woodworking journey so far. The shed was build for me by my father in-law and there was a lot of used timber at the end of the project so I started messing around with it. Id also ripped up some flooring and I was wondering could it be used.
    The arch was the first project. I wanted everything in the garden the same colour so I bought some cedar wood stain. Sick of it now though.
    The flat part of the wishing well I added to my pond is wood flooring. It's starting to warp a little so I might add a piece of wood underneath the roof to flatten it.
    The miter station/workbench started off life when the father in-law gave me the saw when he seen me cutting miters with a hand miter saw and had spare one lying around so he gave it to me and I just screwed it to the piece of flooring I had. Then I decided to make it into a mobile miter saw station. The only think I can't figure out is how to fill the gap on the edge between the 2*4 and the wood floor. I've tried glue with sawdust and hot glue bit neither worked well. The castors cost peanuts on Amazon.
    The bench in front of the pond was just a few scraps of sleepers and were in a bad way. This was my first venture into proper staining and lacquering. It's a bit sticky though anyone know why?
    Oh, forgot to add the timber rack was made from a pallet and a few off cuts of 2x4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭bamayang

Great website

Advertisement