Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homelessness on the rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Lady on Sean O'Rourke show explaining her case and she was one of the people who presented themselves to a garda station on Tuesday night. The gardai could do nothing for her, she spent the night in an office of a homeless coordinator

Very skeptical of the "family hubs", maybe she's right, she would know

Main issue was she could not imagine sharing toilet or cooking facilities with others, just hell no.

Is every person renting a room in a house share deprived so? :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

mikemac2 wrote:
    Is every person renting a room in a house share deprived so?

Yes but people sharing houses generally don't have kids.

I'd have no problem sharing a bathroom but wouldn't like my kids when they were younger to be sharing with someone who might be dodgy.

What happens if a child is molested in one of these "family hubs". They're basically going to be hostels for families and kids shouldn't have to live in danger like that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

pilly wrote: »

I'd have no problem sharing a bathroom but wouldn't like my kids when they were younger to be sharing with someone who might be dodgy.

What happens if a child is molested in one of these "family hubs". They're basically going to be hostels for families and kids shouldn't have to live in danger like that.

What did people do in tenements years ago, when there were no bathrooms at all?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

4ensic15 wrote: »

I think the point is- we were all deprived back then- without exception.
    Progress has many different names........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dar100

2,000 rejections of social housing- and there was a list of reasons given- including one particular gem that had me burst out laughing- the prospective tenant feared they'd get seasick, because the property had a sea view.........

17,800 HAP offers rejected- variety of reasons- including, but not limited to people terrified they would loose their 'opportunity to get a forever home, because I'm entitled to it like' (and no, this quote is not from Erica Flemming).

Affordable Housing scheme- officially and finally stood down in 2016- as per the court case against a claw back on the discounted purchase prices.

2,682 Local authority housing units repossessed between 2014 and 2016- predominantly for antisocial behaviour or illegal activities (a few gems in the list- a couple of enterprising people had grow-houses which were detected by thermal imaging on the Garda helicopter, a few more were engaged in the world's oldest profession- and there was a bizarre and meandering list of other misdemeanors).

Also- we now have 73,000 households who are statistically 'in severe mortgage distress' and at risk of becoming homeless at any given time. Of this 73,000- over 40,000 have not made a mortgage payment in over a year.

So- there are a variety of reasons out there- and even our worsening homeless figures hide a myriad of associated issues- predominantly the fact that our lenders have been told hands off non-performing mortgages- AIB in particular is being hamstrung by this one. The government do not need another 40k homeless households overnight- its more palatable to keep our banks as basket cases.

The homeless problems- are getting worse- but are being artificially massaged so as not to show the true extent of the issues...........

By the way- of the 22 families who slept on the floor of Garda stations (figures from the AGSI) on Tuesday night of this week- all but 5 were non-nationals, and 14 of the 22 families had been in the country for less than 10 days. I'm not sure what exactly this means or depicts- but we seem to be attracting people to the country- who don't have accommodation, and don't have the means of providing accommodation for themselves.

Do you happen to have any link to view the court ruling on the case of the claw back on affordable housing?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

dar100 wrote: »
    Do you happen to have any link to view the court ruling on the case of the claw back on affordable housing?

It was the same judge as in the 2009 case (Judge Jacqueline Linnane) will try and find it for you later- am out and about at the moment.

It was the same judge as in the 2009 case (Judge Jacqueline Linnane) will try and find it for you later- am out and about at the moment.

Cheers, if you could even manage a synopsis yourself it would be great

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

@ jamesthepeach
    I have some rental properties I'm going to flog. PM and you can buy them off me and then give them to whoever you like. The risk Vs reward is out the window now and I don't see it getting any better. But maybe you can make a go of it where I can't.

Any PM in response yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭jamesthepeach

Bushmanpm wrote: »
    @ jamesthepeach

Any PM in response yet?

No takers yet :(

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Bushmanpm

No takers yet

Shocked I tell you, SHOCKED!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭robp

pilly wrote: »

It is only a temporary measure and a lot better than hostels. The people living there are very controlled unlike a hostel. Growing up in shared accommodation is very common in other countries.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

4ensic15 wrote:

So we should go backwards?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

You have to decide whether you think housing is an emergency or not. If it is an emergency, you are going to have some compromises on quality to deal with the emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

I wonder if the government withdrew from providing financial costs paying hotel and b&b accommodation for homesless people ) families would the current figures for homelessness​ fall significantly​ ,
    ie leave it up to the people who wish to live in a hotel room long term to pay for the accommodation as it stands we have several thousand people staying in hotel accommodation indefinitely free of any charges , meanwhile people are maintaining full time/part time employment and pay zero contribution to accommodation or utilities ,
    As for people arriving here from other states to declare themselves homeless should be sent home

Gatling wrote: »
    I wonder if the government withdrew from providing financial costs paying hotel and b&b accommodation for homesless people ) families would the current figures for homelessness​ fall significantly​ ,
    ie leave it up to the people who wish to live in a hotel room long term to pay for the accommodation as it stands we have several thousand people staying in hotel accommodation indefinitely free of any charges , meanwhile people are maintaining full time/part time employment and pay zero contribution to accommodation or utilities ,
    As for people arriving here from other states to declare themselves homeless should be sent home

Who chooses to stay in a hotel long term?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

By the way- of the 22 families who slept on the floor of Garda stations (figures from the AGSI) on Tuesday night of this week- all but 5 were non-nationals, and 14 of the 22 families had been in the country for less than 10 days. I'm not sure what exactly this means or depicts- but we seem to be attracting people to the country- who don't have accommodation, and don't have the means of providing accommodation for themselves.

Wow I didn't know that, where did you hear that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭EmoCourt

dar100 wrote: »
    Who chooses to stay in a hotel long term?

Erica Fleming.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The May figures have been released:
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_may_2017.pdf

Homelessness on the rise. I've updated the two charts based on the totals they give.

Homelessness (Adults)
    421186.png

Family Homelessness
    421185.png

In total, Adults + Dependents (e.g. children), the rise was from 7680 in April to 7699 in May.

The latest report does not have commentary where previous reports did. They used to include:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Same day as this:
    Housing shortage causes €2,000 monthly price rise
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/housing-shortage-causes-2-000-monthly-price-rise-7qp7l8l2k
    Pent-up demand and a chronic undersupply of new homes has led to house prices increasing by €2,000 per month over the past year, new data has shown.

Coverage of this report:
    'We have lost our sense of outrage' says Peter McVerry as number of homeless children in Ireland revealed
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/we-have-lost-our-sense-of-outrage-says-peter-mcverry-as-number-of-homeless-children-in-ireland-revealed-795832.html
    Campaigner Peter McVerry said that there was public outrage when the number of homeless children first passed the 1,000 mark in 2015.

"Then in early 2016, the number of homeless children passed the 2,000 mark, and there wasn't a murmur," he said.

"We can't just become used to these homeless figures, and they no longer offend us. We have lost our sense of outrage.

"We are the 14th wealthiest country in the world - it is absolutely unacceptable that so many people and so many children should be homeless."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

If the homeless problem is solved, a lot of hoteliers and landlords would become poorer and ireland would slip on the list of the world's wealthiest countries. You can't have your cake and eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

This tells a big story on the rise of homelessness in this country, but it's rarely mentioned in the media. And it is why the level of homelessness in Ireland will continue to rise, with the voices of the vested groups screaming for more tax-payer-funded social housing becoming even more louder. They are saying that the money currently being poured into the problem is not sufficient and the tax payer should fork out more money to accommodate the homeless; irrespective of the fact that the problem is greatly exasperated by new arrivals.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Kivaro wrote: »
    This tells a big story on the rise of homelessness in this country, but it's rarely mentioned in the media. And it is why the level of homelessness in Ireland will continue to rise, with the voices of the vested groups screaming for more tax-payer-funded social housing becoming even more louder. They are saying that the money currently being poured into the problem is not sufficient and the tax payer should fork out more money to accommodate the homeless; irrespective of the fact that the problem is greatly exasperated by new arrivals.

On the other hand, the very limited statistic you're quoting could easily be seen the other way.

Despite 'new arrivals' representing a very small percentage of the population, they constitute a disproportionate number of homeless families.

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭utmbuilder

7.30 this evening not one quay had less than 2 couples sleeping on it, with gaurds going around every hour waking them up.

I reckon much rougher times ahead on landlords, as the government have no one else to take this mess out on.

I wouldnt be surprised what madness comes next out of leinster house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

4ensic15 wrote: »
    If the homeless problem is solved, a lot of hoteliers and landlords would become poorer and ireland would slip on the list of the world's wealthiest countries. You can't have your cake and eat it.
    Hence why the homeless problem is only really a problem for the homeless on a very micro level. Obviously the long term societal effects are not good, but as you say, many people are benefiting from the continuation of the problem.

Ireland does not have a housing crisis as so many people call it, but rather a housing situation, of which some people are suffering from, and others are benefiting from.

utmbuilder wrote: »
    I reckon much rougher times ahead on landlords, as the government have no one else to take this mess out on.
    Won't somebody please think of the landlords!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,781 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Ireland does not have a housing crisis as so many people call it, but rather a housing situation, of which some people are suffering from, and others are benefiting from.

'Situation'.
    Just smacks of a euphemism like the recently coined 'Family hub'.

Do people have to start dying before something is upgraded to 'crisis'?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,925 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Some people would have the place like Calcutta and not care, so long as wasn't them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

The June figures have been released:
    http://www.housing.gov.ie/sites/default/files/publications/files/homeless_report_-_june_2017.pdf

Homelessness is on the rise. I've updated the two charts based on the totals they give.

Homelessness (Adults)
    424240.png

Family Homelessness
    424241.png

The latest report has gotten commentary back. The very first line is now:
    The long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Previous reports included:
    The long term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes
    or:
    The root cause of increased homelessness is the supply shortage across the housing sector, which in turn is a result of the recent economic collapse and the associated damage to the construction sector. Accordingly the long-term solution to the current homeless issue is to increase the supply of homes.

Coverage of this report:
    'It's absolutely disgraceful': There are still over 2,800 children homeless in Ireland
    https://www.thejournal.ie/homeless-figures-june-3531165-Aug2017/
    THERE ARE OVER 2,800 children homeless in Ireland, latest figures show.
    Charity ’disturbed’ as new figures show 2895 children recorded as homeless in June
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/charity-disturbed-as-new-figures-show-2895-children-recorded-as-homeless-in-june-800840.html
    Reacting to the figures the charity, Barnardos, said they remain disturbed that the Government’s homelessness figures are continuing to rise.
    “Each day in Barnardos services across Ireland we see the impact that homelessness is having on children. We watch the mental and emotional wellbeing of children deteriorate as their hopes of escaping homelessness fade.
    Latest homelessness figures described as 'worrying' and 'disheartening'
    http://www.newstalk.com/Latest-homelessness-figures-described-as-worrying-and-disheartening
    Francis Doherty of the Peter McVerry Trust highlighted the youth homeless figures, observing: “The fact that 46.5% of people in homelessness are young people aged 24 or younger is very worrying.

'Situation'.
    Just smacks of a euphemism like the recently coined 'Family hub'.

There is clearly a crisis for the people faced with eviction and living in hotels and on the street. And to a lesser extent those suffering the effects of the rental market. But by and large they are still a significant minority. For everyone else, there is merely a situation, and of which was already pointed out, many people are benefiting hugely from in terms of rents and increased house prices. Whatever about political will, there is little public will to solve the crisis/situation. It's simply not in people's interest; at least not short term. And most people only think short term sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Homelessness isn't a type of terminal cancer.

I don't see either how upgrading to a crisis suddenly magically provides lots of free 300k houses to hand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭dzwx

"Specific initiatives promised in Rebuilding Ireland for ring-fenced housing and associated funding for 18-24 year olds has not yet materialised almost a year later."

Neither 25,000 new build homes per annum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement