Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

McDermott from 4.30 to 5.
    Gannon from 5.30 to 6.

How is this show still alive :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

The lecturer guy is nearly worse. Pretends he’s right leaning but is exactly the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,231 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Gannons pissed on twitter she didnt get to rant about SNL (really is that cared enough in ireland) about some guy who got hired and who made an asian joke years ago whinging about "dudebros"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

I can actually understand giving McDermot & Gannon airtime, they reflect a cohort of young women who watch YouTube makeup tutorials and wear cheeky bottom bikinis while on holiday abroad. What I can't understand is why is old fart cooper still hosting the show ?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,173 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

If Cooper had any sense he'd walk while he still has come credibility left.

But then again, it's very easy money.

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    If Cooper had any sense he'd walk while he still has come credibility left.

But then again, it's very easy money.

he'd only leave if his contract was reduced in pay, which i could see them doing, they seem to begetting rid of the bigger contracts/cutting costs...and then they go with a cheaper option, probably Susan Keogh, (but imagine Roe or Gannon got it.....it would tank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

My guess is that the Last Word has only survived because they're obliged to have something like that in their schedule. I'm sure the power that be would only love to axe it and replace it with another inane "content creator" playing the same 6 songs that are on constant rotation there during the daytime.

I caught most of the TV slot yesterday and couldn't help but roll my eyes when it came to Jennifer Gannon's pick. It couldn't possibly be anything other than Netflix's "Unbelievable". I don't mean in any way to denigrate the subject matter which is serious (rape/injustice) but Christ, I'm sick to the back teeth of her sermonising. Every fkn week. She really needs to get over herself - she takes herself way too seriously. I'd seen Joe O'Shea's pick before - it was a surprisingly enjoyable documentary about the Showbands. I don't think enjoyable registers on Jennifer Gannon's radar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Doblin

My guess is that the Last Word has only survived because they're obliged to have something like that in their schedule

I wonder if they needed Bai approval to drop the sport on Saturday afternoons, the business and politics on Sunday and the daily national lunchtime news ?

I'd say they're playing chicken with the BAI on this. Which is the least worst option? A station flouting the rules (or at the very least, barely sticking to them) and staying on air. Or one that does what it's told and goes to the wall. The original Radio Ireland could easily have gone the same way as Century, only it rebranded/revamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Jennifer gannons twin ( roe mc dermot is on today)

Fairly painful to listen to,I had to change the station

She has extraordinary arrogance for such an intellectual mediocrity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

he'd only leave if his contract was reduced in pay, which i could see them doing, they seem to begetting rid of the bigger contracts/cutting costs...and then they go with a cheaper option, probably Susan Keogh, (but imagine Roe or Gannon got it.....it would tank)

It'd be terrible with Susan Keogh. She has the charisma of a flat pancake. Ditto Gavin Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 tomasflaherty

PhoneMain wrote: »
    It'd be terrible with Susan Keogh. She has the charisma of a flat pancake. Ditto Gavin Reilly.

Susan Keogh has the same anti men feminist sh1te as the other two clowns Roe and Mcdermott. Every news item she ever had contained sjw rubbish. Bit tired of it now
    Gavin Reilly at least knows what he is on about and doesnt have a men hating agenda

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

The broadcasters on some of the stations here are too boring, afraid of someone who dares to have a different opinion as everyone else,"feckbook" for instance.

I gave up listening to this show, it's totally stale now.... Thank feck for Ivan!!.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Jennifer gannons twin ( roe mc dermot is on today)

Surprise surprise she was delighted that Fireman Sam was "sacked" as a mascot for some UK fire service and replaced with gender neutral fire extinguisher mascots.

Its called evolution apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

BPKS wrote: »
    Surprise surprise she was delighted that Fireman Sam was "sacked" as a mascot for some UK fire service and replaced with gender neutral fire extinguisher mascots.

What would you expect from a privileged first world feminist ?

These are the important issues they are fighting for !

Susan Keogh has the same anti men feminist sh1te as the other two clowns Roe and Mcdermott. Every news item she ever had contained sjw rubbish. Bit tired of it now
    Gavin Reilly at least knows what he is on about and doesnt have a men hating agenda

Gavin reilly is tolerable but he's a rock solid Liberal all the same, not Cudlihy or o donoghue level but resolutely PC

5555555555 wrote: »

What would you expect from a privileged first world feminist ?

These are the important issues they are fighting for !

It's her Vietnam

It's called evolution apparently.

Have none of these silly moos ever heard the story of "The boy who cried wolf"? Bleating on about how Fireman Sam isn't inclusive or equally inane rubbish like that simply results in people not listening to them. If I met someone who told me they supported Fireman Sam's sacking, I wouldn't trust them to tell me what the weather was like outside. Jumping on these ridiculous bandwagons also cheapens the serious issues that still face women worldwide. Why don't they go to Africa and try to help child brides, campaign against Female Genital Mutilation or to help manufacture cheap sanitation towels so that teenage girls can stay in education in these countries? No, it's easier to bang on about something that's on Netflix or Twitter and doesn't involve them leaving their sofas.

It's called evolution apparently.

Have none of these silly moos ever heard the story of "The boy who cried wolf"? Bleating on about how Fireman Sam isn't inclusive or equally inane rubbish like that simply results in people not listening to them. If I met someone who told me they supported Fireman Sam's sacking, I wouldn't trust them to tell me what the weather was like outside. Jumping on these ridiculous bandwagons also cheapens the serious issues that still face women worldwide. Why don't they go to Africa and try to help child brides, campaign against Female Genital Mutilation or to help manufacture cheap sanitation towels so that teenage girls can stay in education in these countries? No, it's easier to bang on about something that's on Netflix or Twitter and doesn't involve them leaving their sofas.

Political correctness culture is all about sounding good, doing good is an optional afterthought

Political correctness culture is all about sounding good, doing good is an optional afterthought

Exactly.

Two other perfect examples
    "won't something think of the poor migrants", but in effect this becomes "they better not be located in my town"

and

"we have to change our ways or else the planet is going to die", means "no way am I starting to walk places, feck that I'm paying good money for a car. And I'm not paying water charges either"

Talk is cheap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,291 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

This thread is one of the best parts of tge show :pac:

Another example popped into my head which sums up these folk.

About 10 years ago, I got a caller to my door. It was someone who was campaigning that a transmitter/mast for a mobile phone operator should NOT be allowed to be located on a local hill.

I asked, "do you own a mobile phone?". He said yes.

I Said, "so you want to own a mobile phone but you don't want a mast going up to bring you your signal".

Closed the door on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Matt in his weekly review brushed over the Justin Trudeau brown face/black face photos fairly sharpish.

When Trump sends a stupid tweet it generally gets at least 5 minutes.

Double standards for the PC leftie Canadian me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

4 of the last 8 podcasts on the Last Word are about climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

4 of the last 8 podcasts on the Last Word are about climate change.

Anyone know why they never have the Friday evening Last Word on Sport as a podcast? That's the best part of the show!

Anyone know why they never have the Friday evening Last Word on Sport as a podcast? That's the best part of the show!

They think we want to hear Gannon/McDermott pontificating how they’re oppressed and we’re all bad people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,713 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Those two music critics make for hard listening, especially the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,867 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

*the only good part of the show! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

padd b1975 wrote: »
    Those two music critics make for hard listening, especially the guy.

After he said the Foo Fighters were very samey that was the dead nel for him

• Advertisement

After he said the Foo Fighters were very samey that was the dead nel for him

He's right. They are.

I find them very shouty too:eek:

Advertisement