Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

quintana76 wrote: »
    Any news about Dil. Were the other media outlets queuing up for her services after she got sacked for refusing to do her job until Hook got fired. That w***** Chris Donahue ended up getting a cushy number as media advisor to Simon Coveney despite the fact that his radio programme was a disaster and he was Hook's Brutus, first with the knife.
    Says a lot about our elite and society when failures with the correct views get the golden egg.
    Dil had alison spittle on her podcast, talking on identity politics....that must have pleased her 5 listners

edit, it was Alison's podcast

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Whoever came up with the idea for the "6 at 6" should be fired! A platform for Susan Keogh to talk ****e

TLW is now all about style over substance.

A once very good show ruined.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

NIMAN wrote: »
    TLW is now all about style over substance.

A once very good show ruined.

On the evening commute, I used to listen to the TLW, finding it much better than Drivetime.

Drivetime has been the station of choice for the last couple of years now. It seemed the election of Trump marked a shift in TLW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Trump, unfortunately, is the biggest news story in the world. We're all participating in the world's largest reality TV show.

No, the Last Word started going down the toilet when the producer changed and (I'm guessing) the newsroom started to fill up with snowflake SJWs. It has also suffered because of that despicable ban on Irish Times journalists appearing on Communicorp stations. Why hasn't action been taken over that, by the way? (No, don't answer that...we know <redacted> and how far his power stretches). When you're relying on people who work for TheJournal.ie as contributors you know you're in trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

Trump, unfortunately, is the biggest news story in the world. We're all participating in the world's largest reality TV show.

No, the Last Word started going down the toilet when the producer changed and (I'm guessing) the newsroom started to fill up with snowflake SJWs. It has also suffered because of that despicable ban on Irish Times journalists appearing on Communicorp stations. Why hasn't action been taken over that, by the way? (No, don't answer that...we know <redacted> and how far his power stretches). When you're relying on people who work for TheJournal.ie as contributors you know you're in trouble.

I heard hugh leneghan on an irish times advert on either newstalk or today fm. Couldnt get over the hypocrisy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭amlinopta

The six at six lark. Story to do with Uranus. And a hole. Like something an eight year old in primary school might find funny. Laughs all around for Matt and the newsreader. Painful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

There is hope for Matt yet, he was calling out the stupidity of Marion McKeown et al. about Serena Williams being mistreated due to her sex. This is the second time in a week he has shown some backbone. I believe he is reading our criticism and taking it on board 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I know shows have TV slots. But the last word have just spent the last 25 minutes playing theme songs. The show is really a shadow of it's former self.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

I know shows have TV slots. But the last word have just spent the last 25 minutes playing theme songs. The show is really a shadow of it's former self.

I had to switch it off around 6.30pm when the theme tune bit started and put the radio back on just before 7pm to switch to Off the Ball and they were still talking theme tunes!
    Empty radio

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

Where does Matt get his contributors?

Both of the idiots on with him agree with the travellers in Tipperary who insisted on stables with their huge free social housing. The female contributor even said the government should have considered stables as they were such a huge part of traveller culture.

I would wager that 9/10 people would take the contrary view but Matt and his PC team manage to find a panel wholly comprising of people with these moronic ideas. Infuriating, get some balance for f**k sake.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Both of the idiots on with him agree with the travellers in Tipperary who insisted on stables with their huge free social housing. The female contributor even said the government should have considered stables as they were such a huge part of traveller culture.

I would wager that 9/10 people would take the contrary view but Matt and his PC team manage to find a panel wholly comprising of people with these moronic ideas. Infuriating, get some balance for f**k sake.

In the interests of not putting your fist through the window, I think it's good policy these days to tune into TLW at 5pm on Fridays. Some of the stuff that comes out before that is just bizarre

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

It is just an example of the exalted circles in which Matt and his media ilk mix. Anything in relation to reality or real popular opinion is instantly haughtily dismissed. Harruphed at as some ill informed, cheeky ideas above their station from the plebs.
    Matt and his media/NGO mates know better, they are there to educate us. We are ever so lucky to have them to guide us on the road to liberal utopia.

There is no debate any more. Surely if you are going to discuss that issue about nearly €2m worth of houses being turned down, you'd have someone from both sides of the argument?

TLW is often just an echo chamber of similar views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

There should always be debate and an opposing view. We might not always like what the other side has to say but it should be aired.

The 2 beauts this evening were Pamela Joyce (Today FM presenter) and Eoghan McDermott (a regular contributor from The Communications Clinic which has as it's boss Terry Prone. She who tried to shut down the Tuam babies case on behalf of her clients, The Bon Secours Sisters. But that hasn't stopped her and her team still being the go-to contributors for all and everything on the Irish radio and TV).

Eoghan has to be the most PC man in Ireland and that's saying something. He started the Traveler piece with a disclaimer, warning Matt he'd be inundated with hateful messages to the show as Travellers are still treated as fair game for all sorts of bile/hate by the general Irish public.

Pamela seemed shocked, not at the 1.7m price tag for 6 houses being given away for free to people who'd probably never worked a day in their lives, that no one thought of putting in stables. She went as far as to call it a 'bizarre' decision. Culture waffle, way of life, waffle.

Matts main contributions was to say that everyone supported the idea of social housing and he also read just the 1 message from the many he admitted had come in, which was full of irony about 'culture'. "Moving swiftly on" was his response to that.

I guess it's that indifference to his listeners that has turned the show into such a limp wristed effort with an ever decreasing audience

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Thankfully I didn't hear it... but FFS... actually siding with this "ethic minority" who turn down free homes because free stables aren't included? What the actual fcuk. It's only god damn idiots that pay mortgages :(

If it was a Waterford Whispers News sketch I'd say they're pushing credibility...

Mick Wallace on discussing the retirement of Supt David Taylor before he got fired/disciplinary procedures were taken.

Why is Wallace on discussing something like this?!? He's just mumbled for 2 minutes flat and eventually came out making excuses for why Taylor shouldn't lose his pension.
    What do you think Wallace is going to say about someone who's got caught doing the state a dis-service :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

jay0109 wrote: »
    Mick Wallace on discussing the retirement of Supt David Taylor before he got fired/disciplinary procedures were taken.

Why is Wallace on discussing something like this?!? He's just mumbled for 2 minutes flat and eventually came out making excuses for why Taylor shouldn't lose his pension.
    What do you think Wallace is going to say about someone who's got caught doing the state a dis-service :mad:

Its Maurice McCabe he did a disservice to, and he has options now - including possible civil defamation case against Taylor and Callinan, get at their pensions that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

He was one of those who shed a light on the whole scandal in the first place.

Why shouldn’t he comment on the fallout?

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,722 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

People have very short memories is why. :D

Wallace isn't exactly my favourite politician but he has done some job for one man in bringing the rot to light.

• Advertisement

Allinall wrote: »
    He was one of those who shed a light on the whole scandal in the first place.

Why shouldn’t he comment on the fallout?

Maybe as he's did something quite illegal himself back in the day, didn't he?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Allinall

NIMAN wrote: »
    Maybe as he's did something quite illegal himself back in the day, didn't he?

How is that in any way relevant?

Allinall wrote: »
    How is that in any way relevant?

Even Wallace doesn't have a neck thick enough to come on the national airwaves demanding hell and brimstone in terms of financial penalties on someone who has been caught out like Taylor.
    There's a certain element of double standards at play that even he recognised if you listen to his mumblings in the peice

Promo piece for Michael D, co-hosted by Matt, on now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,570 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Promo piece for Michael D, co-hosted by Matt, on now

All candidates are being given the same airtime, he had Peter Casey on to make a show of himself (again) afterwards.

They're all being given the same air time alright, it's the quality of that airtime I'm questioning!

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I couldn't believe how poor Matt was with Michael D yesterday. Some of the questions were just bizarre and straight rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

canonball5 wrote: »
    I couldn't believe how poor Matt was with Michael D yesterday. Some of the questions were just bizarre and straight rude!
    I didn't hear Michael D's and I'm wondering now should I listen back.

I did listen to Peter Casey & the man was hilarious! But what was gas, was how he mentioned several times how he had more to show and he would get him point across over the next week and a half and sure isn't a week a long time in politics, so this morning it dawned on me that 12 hours is a long time in politics with the Indos podcast...what was he thinking! Does this man not employ any kind of common sense or PR guru to advise him on what NOT to say (truth or not) to get the votes or is he clutching at straws.
    I am nearly believing more and more that Matt's theory was right - Peter will ask the questions of Michael D whilst Gavin Duffy can sail into the Aras! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Jennifer Gannon on another muddled anti "straight white men" rant.

Matt silent as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

5555555555 wrote: »
    Jennifer Gannon on another muddled anti "straight white men" rant.

Matt silent as usual.

Saw the tweet about her going on about comedy’s being too offensive.... let me guess she’s offended by inbetweenets and the like

Advertisement