Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Word

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller Returns

retalivity wrote: »
    Any list of great musicians/bands/songs/albums needs kate bush and at least 50% women present to ensure it is not polluted with male bias.

Yes, and this definitely will not affect said greatness of the list as women are always fantastic and wonderful

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

All this really begs the question as to how isolated from the rest of society are media types in reality.
    Do they really believe the identity crap that they almost exclusively talk about on air or is it just for show. There seems to be a competitive group dynamic as to how committed to these issues each of them are.
    It would all be harmless enough narcissistic nonsense that nobody outside their narrow circle takes seriously except for the fact the the mainstream politicians seem to have bought into it. Now that is dangerous with politicians reflecting the modish, not thought through dogma of a small incestuous minority and using it as a basis for policy. Just shows yet again the notorious symbiosis between the media and the polity. They need and feed off one another. In this case it is proving toxic especially with Leo being the media whore that he is.

quintana76 wrote: »
    All this really begs the question as to how isolated from the rest of society are media types in reality.
    Do they really believe the identity crap that they almost exclusively talk about on air or is it just for show. There seems to be a competitive group dynamic as to how committed to these issues each of them are.
    It would all be harmless enough narcissistic nonsense that nobody outside their narrow circle takes seriously except for the fact the the mainstream politicians seem to have bought into it. Now that is dangerous with politicians reflecting the modish, not thought through dogma of a small incestuous minority and using it as a basis for policy. Just shows yet again the notorious symbiosis between the media and the polity. They need and feed off one another. In this case it is proving toxic especially with Leo being the media whore that he is.

I blame social media. A gigantic echo chamber where the gospel tenants of liberalism are never challenged. Remember when Varadkar criticised journalists a few weeks ago for being superficial and they nearly had a meltdown. I think they were shocked when they realised that a lot of people agreed with Varadkar. If you listen to Ellen Coyne from the IT on Pat Kenny it was obvious she was taken aback.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

I blame social media. A gigantic echo chamber where the gospel tenants of liberalism are never challenged. Remember when Varadkar criticised journalists a few weeks ago for being superficial and they nearly had a meltdown. I think they were shocked when they realised that a lot of people agreed with Varadkar. If you listen to Ellen Coyne from the IT on Pat Kenny it was obvious she was taken aback.
    I tend to agree that social media has a lot to do with this nauseating, almost-universal liberal/PC stance which most of the media have adopted. Social media is a great tool but, like most tools, if used in the wrong manner it can become dangerous. There is certain cohort on social media, who are most vocal, who voice their opinions most often, and who see themselves as custodians of truth and reason. Likewise, there are a lot of impressionable (mostly young) people on social media, who adopt the opinions and polices of those whom they see most frequently on the platform. That is part of the human condition, the "follow the leader" ideology.
    During the "repeal" campaign, and the "Paddy Jackson" trial, Twitter in particular became a toxic place, a breeding ground for backslapping and circle-jerking - as long as you were on the side of the "mob". Any people that opposed their views were vilified and lambasted. So much for freedom of speech? You can say anything you want as long as it is in agreement with the consensus of the mob. Makes me think of the famous Henry Ford line - "You can have any color as long as it's black"

I tend to agree that social media has a lot to do with this nauseating, almost-universal liberal/PC stance which most of the media have adopted. Social media is a great tool but, like most tools, if used in the wrong manner it can become dangerous. There is certain cohort on social media, who are most vocal, who voice their opinions most often, and who see themselves as custodians of truth and reason. Likewise, there are a lot of impressionable (mostly young) people on social media, who adopt the opinions and polices of those whom they see most frequently on the platform. That is part of the human condition, the "follow the leader" ideology.
    During the "repeal" campaign, and the "Paddy Jackson" trial, Twitter in particular became a toxic place, a breeding ground for backslapping and circle-jerking - as long as you were on the side of the "mob". Any people that opposed their views were vilified and lambasted. So much for freedom of speech? You can say anything you want as long as it is in agreement with the consensus of the mob. Makes me think of the famous Henry Ford line - "You can have any color as long as it's black"

Very well said and I agree with everything there. I use social media and there's no doubt that there are many great things about it, but, as you say, the level of groupthink when it comes to certain issues is pretty frightening. The Paddy Jackson trial was a real eye opener.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭5555555555

Roe McDermott this evening having no problem with a woman replacing a man in a factual historical drama but having an issue with Jack Whitehall playing a gay man.
    It's too easy pointing out the hypocrisy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

If there were any standards on radio these days, they'd not let her and her "American" accent anywhere near a microphone. I've yet to hear her add anything meaningful to any conversation she has been involved in on air.

If there were any standards on radio these days, they'd not let her and her "American" accent anywhere near a microphone. I've yet to hear her add anything meaningful to any conversation she has been involved in on air.

Can't listen to her grating voice. Starting sentences with "so" and inflecting the end of every sentence as if she's asking a question.

I just turn off the radio when she's on. Unless she spent a large portion of her life living in the USA, there is NO excuse for that appalling accent she has. The Dortspeak accent has been rightfully lampooned and seems to be in decline. People (and they're usually women) who speak with phony American accents deserve equal derision. Would she be let anywhere near a radio studio if her brother wasn't Eoin McDermott?

I just turn off the radio when she's on. Unless she spent a large portion of her life living in the USA, there is NO excuse for that appalling accent she has. The D4 Dortspeak accent has been rightfully lampooned. People (and they're usually women) who speak with phony American accents deserve equal derision.

100 per cent agree. Watching too much US box sets me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dr_serious2

100 per cent agree. Watching too much US box sets me thinks.

I have faith after yesterday that Matt is reading boards and has realised what a PC bore he had become and is on the verge of changing his ways.

I have faith after yesterday that Matt is reading boards and has realised what a PC bore he had become and is on the verge of changing his ways.

Lets hope so! He's clearly a talented broadcaster but he has definitely been infected with PC virus.

I hope someone has had a word with him. The Last Word is only one of the strings in Matt's bow and he owes it to himself not to fall down the PC rabbit hole. It's probably very hard to do so in Today FM. I've visions of their newsroom being filled with group-thinking, social justice warrior feminist snowflakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

whose worse her or her brother Eoghan

Never made that connection until now. Christ, dinner at their house must have been fun growing up!

They're related?? Lord help us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭jay0109

They're related?? Lord help us.

It's the Irish media golden circle. They're all related to each other.

On Irish media heads with US accent...Roe McDermott is bad but Louise McSharry takes the biscuit. Her American (Californian of course) accent is fierce and she's from Sligo originally!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭MikeyTaylor

jay0109 wrote: »
    It's the Irish media golden circle. They're all related to each other.

On Irish media heads with US accent...Roe McDermott is bad but Louise McSharry takes the biscuit. Her American (Californian of course) accent is fierce and she's from Sligo originally!

Louise from Sligo? I think I read that she went to school in Terenure.

Your probably right. I was told she was from Sligo when discussing her accent once but cannot see anything online at all to confirm that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭robo

Looks like Matt will have to find a new replacement for when he takes holidays/writes a book/visits North Korea etc - Susan Keogh is off to Newstalk. Dunno if that is upstairs or downstairs in the same building

So who will take over the presenting duties? My money is on Matt's new best friend who is on every other Friday panel and anything to do with property etc - Karl Deeter? Any other suggestions?

Source - her instagram page

• Advertisement

Deeter has no chance unless he pronounces himself as gender fluid or something like that. It'll be a woman

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Deeter has no chance unless he pronounces himself as gender fluid or something like that. It'll be a woman

This show has got so bad I wouldn't be surprised if they got Ciara Kelly to host it!

He also holds mildly right wing views so not a chance!

robo wrote: »
    Looks like Matt will have to find a new replacement for when he takes holidays/writes a book/visits North Korea etc - Susan Keogh is off to Newstalk. Dunno if that is upstairs or downstairs in the same building

So who will take over the presenting duties? My money is on Matt's new best friend who is on every other Friday panel and anything to do with property etc - Karl Deeter? Any other suggestions?

Source - her instagram page
    Karl Deeter would be decent, says it like it is.
    Wonder what Susan is going to be doing at Newstalk, she as absolutely terrible as anchor of TLW when she was on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭ Adam Teeny Munchies

Karl Deeter would be decent, says it like it is.
    Wonder what Susan is going to be doing at Newstalk, she as absolutely terrible as anchor of TLW when she was on.

Taking over global village lol 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

The adverts are a joke at this stage, The Last Word on sport started at 6:14.
    Matt must have been getting €20 for everytime he said Coppers this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭quintana76

Taking over global village lol ��

Any news about Dil. Were the other media outlets queuing up for her services after she got sacked for refusing to do her job until Hook got fired. That w***** Chris Donahue ended up getting a cushy number as media advisor to Simon Coveney despite the fact that his radio programme was a disaster and he was Hook's Brutus, first with the knife.
    Says a lot about our elite and society when failures with the correct views get the golden egg.

Dil was never going to get another broadcasting job because she is a poor presenter. She was lucky to get Victim Village in the first place.

For all we know, Chris Donahue might by very good at his job and may turn out to be better at that than as a radio presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PhoneMain

liam7831 wrote: »
    The adverts are a joke at this stage, The Last Word on sport started at 6:14.
    Matt must have been getting €20 for everytime he said Coppers this week.

I dont think its the adverts. Its the needlessly long links. Link for the news, link after the news, like before sport and link before traffic. Then its the needless talking/ "banter" durin not just the news but the sports that really stretches it out!. I switched between newstalk and the last word last week and by the time they had news sport on traffic done on ivan yates, they were still on the 6 at 6

• Advertisement

PhoneMain wrote:
    I dont think its the adverts. Its the needlessly long links. Link for the news, link after the news, like before sport and link before traffic. Then its the needless talking/ "banter" durin not just the news but the sports that really stretches it out!. I switched between newstalk and the last word last week and by the time they had news sport on traffic done on ivan yates, they were still on the 6 at 6

Whoever came up with the idea for the "6 at 6" should be fired! A platform for Susan Keogh to talk ****e

Advertisement