Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

747s next in Ireland? ? ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

de biz wrote: »
    Fully ready for push back now - 21.14

-21.14 was about the temperature of my body when I gave up waiting with the camera on the mound. I left at about 20:45, so missed the depareture. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

On the subject of B747's....
    [font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]20 March, 2017[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]| SOURCE: Flightglobal Pro[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]| BY: Edward Russell[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]| Washington DC[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]United Airlines will retire its last Boeing 747-400 in “late October” after nearly half a century with the carrier.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The Chicago-based carrier will “displace” its last 747 pilots on 30 October, it said in a crew resources update to pilots on 17 March. However, it does not set a date for the venerable jumbo jet’s final flight.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]United will fly the 747 to London Heathrow, Frankfurt, Seoul Incheon and Shanghai Pudong from its San Francisco hub during its last month in service, the update says.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Scott Kirby, president of United, announced in January that the airline would retire the 747 by the fourth quarter, nearly a year earlier than planned.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]“It’s a bittersweet milestone — this jumbo jet with its unmistakable silhouette once represented the state-of-the-art in air travel,” he said. “Today, there are more fuel-efficient, cost-effective and reliable widebody aircraft that provide an updated inflight experience for our customers traveling on long-haul flights.”[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]United is replacing its last 20 747s with 14 Boeing 777-300ERs, all of which are scheduled for delivery by the middle of 2017.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]FlightGlobal schedules show the carrier operating its last 747 flight from Seoul to San Francisco on 29 October, however this could change based on aircraft availability and the 777 delivery schedule.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]For example, on 15 March, United chief executive Oscar Munoz said the airline was “not happy” with possible delays to its new business class Polaris seats at supplier Zodiac Aerospace. While he did not explicitly say the seats were late, he did say United’s retrofit schedule was “dynamic” and that it was providing Zodiac with “lots of beneficial support”.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The airline has not said what the official final 747 flight will be.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]United took delivery of its first 747 in 1970.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

smurfjed wrote: »
    On the subject of B747's...The Chicago-based carrier will “displace†its last 747 pilots on 30 October, it said in a crew resources update to pilots on 17 March. However, it does not set a date for the venerable jumbo jet’s final flight.
    If we are to us the curent United speak, surely they are going to "Re-accommodate" them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭breanach78

Lots of 747s in and out of Shannon lately, 3 alone today.

TF-AMP 747-400 due in to Dublin at 11:11 today. Bare Saudi livery no titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭b318isp

TF-AMP 747-400 due in to Dublin at 11:11 today. Bare Saudi livery no titles.

Over Cork at the moment.

Any idea when it is due out again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

When you don't see 747's that often you kind of forget how big they are ;)

Here's a tip though - if anyone is rushing outside to take a photo of any aircraft make sure your camera settings are ready and not set on a 15 second exposure time from last night. That would be silly... :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

Looks like she is getting ready to push back now! Delivering horses 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

Certainly looks like it needs some TLC.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Fattes wrote: »
    Looks like she is getting ready to push back now! Delivering horses 😂

Jaysus, did they paint it with some weathershield and a roller...

• Advertisement

It wasn’t here for horses the Neptune 737 was here for those. It was in for Coca Cola concentrate and took it out to Atlanta. Again the Puerto Rico plant has been destroyed and it was a major source for the North American market. I expect we will see several more runs like this over the next few months at least till it is back up and running.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,847 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

It wasn’t here for horses the Neptune 737 was here for those. It was in for Coca Cola concentrate and took it out to Atlanta. Again the Puerto Rico plant has been destroyed and it was a major source for the North American market. I expect we will see several more runs like this over the next few months at least till it is back up and running.

There have been multiple 747s in and out of Shannon for the last 2 or 3 weeks doing that run.

Ah cheers seen the horse trucks up there and didn't realise they were for the 737 Thanks

Yeah they may possibly increase in the run up to Christmas or conversely reduce if they have already produced the Christmas stock.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

B744 inbound Dublin, BA178 diverting due to capacity constraints at LHR caused by snow. G-CIVI

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

marno21 wrote: »
    B744 inbound Dublin, BA178 diverting due to capacity constraints at LHR caused by snow. G-CIVI

Interestingly also declared a medical emergency at Heathrow (chancing their arm?). Explained it to the EIDW approach ATCO as being the only way to get an ambulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

National 747 just diverted into SNN 45mins ago due to weather at destination.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭CoisFharraige

phonypony wrote: »
    Interestingly also declared a medical emergency at Heathrow (chancing their arm?). Explained it to the EIDW approach ATCO as being the only way to get an ambulance.

No, non time-critical medical emergency so they held for a while. I would highly doubt any aircrew would pull something like that (it's illegal).

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭Razor44

No, non time-critical medical emergency so they held for a while. I would highly doubt any aircrew would pull something like that (it's illegal).

funny, I heard them say the bit about LHR and calling in a med emergency as well, they very definitely explained it was the only way to get an ambulance, I took from it they didn't quite know the status of the crew member who (from reading elsewhere) was thrown and hit their head due to turbulence,said crew member was conscious, as per the ATC chatter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,185 ✭✭✭NewApproach

A Singapore cargo 744 was in SNN this morning with horses for Coolmore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭pepe the prawn

Does anyone know if there are any 747’s due in to SNN today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Kenny2012

AirBridgeCargo Boeing 747 VP-BIG enroute Dublin eta 01:35

https://www.flightradar24.com/ABW604/100cc129

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

There was a Kalitta Air 747 cargo plane parked in Shannon this afternoon, couldn't get pics as I was driving unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Doltanian wrote: »
    There was a Kalitta Air 747 cargo plane parked in Shannon this afternoon, couldn't get pics as I was driving unfortunately.

Virtually daily visitors, operating for Turkish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Doltanian

EchoIndia wrote: »
    Virtually daily visitors, operating for Turkish.

As a stopover or would Turkish be bringing and taking out loads of Air freight from Ireland? I know very little about air freight in Ireland only that I imagine it is very expensive. From searching flightradar24 there seems to be flights to Kuwait City, Atlanta and Istanbul using the Kalitta 747's.

Doltanian wrote: »
    As a stopover or would Turkish be bringing and taking out loads of Air freight from Ireland? I know very little about air freight in Ireland only that I imagine it is very expensive. From searching flightradar24 there seems to be flights to Kuwait City, Atlanta and Istanbul using the Kalitta 747's.

It's a transit stop only, for refuelling, and the eastbound services back to Turkey omit the Shannon stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

G-VLIP diverting to DUB, due to medical emergency onboard, expected DUB at 10:30.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Pushing back shortly for anyone wanting to see it taking off.

There she is

• Advertisement

VIR94L pushing at 1210.

Advertisement