Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

747s next in Ireland? ? ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,208 ✭✭✭Fattes

A few of hot lips departing

• Registered Users Posts: 10,030 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

There is still life in the old lady yet...
      [font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif][*]Boeing Co. won a $5.65 billion lifeline for its endangered 747 jumbo as United Parcel Service Inc. ordered 14 more of the iconic jetliner.

UPS is exercising options that double a previous deal for the freighter version of the 747-8, the courier said Thursday. The company is also taking four Boeing 767 freighters as it rushes to keep up with growing demand and ramps up investment after the recent cut in U.S. corporate tax rates.

The 747 order means Boeing will continue producing its largest aircraft into the 2020s, more than half a century after its debut. The UPS transaction validates Boeing’s long-held hope that a rebound in the air-cargo market would spark new interest in the jumbo freighter. The hinged nose of the jet flips open so that very large items, like oil drilling equipment, can be loaded quickly.

At the end of 2017, Boeing had just 12 unfilled orders in its dwindling 747 backlog, 11 of them destined for UPS. The latest deal will provide more than two years of output at the production rate of six jets annually.

Airbus SE is moving to a similar rate for its A380 superjumbo after landing a lifesaving order from Emirates Airline last month. Demand for such four-engine aircraft has fallen as the planemakers created twin-engine models, such as the Boeing 777 and Airbus A350, which are able to fly similar numbers of people over long-distance routes.

The 747 freighter has a list price of $403.6 million, according to Boeing’s website, before the discounts that are customary for aircraft orders.

— With assistance by Michael Sasso
      [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

One for the 747 fans: Nice article in this weekend's Financial Times describing a BA pilot's last flight on a 747.

Boards won't let me post a link (new user); and you may need a subscription or log-in to access. Search on 'Mark Vanhoenacker bids farewell to the jet that made him fall in love with flying'

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭faoiarvok

x567 wrote: »
      One for the 747 fans: Nice article in this weekend's Financial Times describing a BA pilot's last flight on a 747.

Boards won't let me post a link (new user); and you may need a subscription or log-in to access. Search on 'Mark Vanhoenacker bids farewell to the jet that made him fall in love with flying'

His book ‘Skyfaring’ is great. Few excerpts here: http://www.slate.com/search.html#search=Skyfaring%20Mark%20Vanhoenacker

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

B744 TF-AMU inbound Dublin now from Lyon

• Advertisement

The HAJJ movement is presently ongoing, so Jeddah becomes a B747 airport, it quite fun to watch the number of arrivals per day with some interesting and strange airlines. 
      I sat yesterday in Bahrain watching the new Kuwait Government B748 doing training, pretty awesome to watch this aircraft taking off whilst empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

smurfjed wrote: »
      I sat yesterday in Bahrain watching the new Kuwait Government B748 doing training, pretty awesome to watch this aircraft taking off whilst empty.

Nice to be able to get a new VIP B748, while the country needs to be bailed out by the rest of the GCC!

https://www.thenational.ae/business/economy/bahrain-to-receive-second-economic-package-from-the-gcc-1.744830

• Registered Users Posts: 18,102 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Brennus335 wrote: »
      Nice to be able to get a new VIP B748, while the country needs to be bailed out by the rest of the GCC!

https://www.thenational.ae/business/economy/bahrain-to-receive-second-economic-package-from-the-gcc-1.744830

Kuwait and Bahrain are different countries.

Infact, Kuwait are part of the GCC who are giving Bahrain money.

More 747 news....
      Short-landing 747-8F should have executed go-around

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]13 August, 2018 SOURCE: Flight Dashboard BY: David Kaminski-Morrow London [/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Dutch investigators have determined that the crew of a Boeing 747-8F should have executed a go-around after its approach destabilised shortly before the jet landed short at Amsterdam.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Operated by Russian carrier AirBridgeCargo, the aircraft (VQ-BLR) contacted the runway some 300m before the touchdown point of runway 36R – and short of the threshold marking – striking lights and sustaining dents and scratches to its fuselage and wings.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The Dutch Safety Board attributes the incident to a high descent rate, pointing out that the 747 dipped below the glideslope after the autopilot was disengaged at 700ft.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]It states that the approach, just beforehand, had been stable but that, shortly before touchdown, the ground-proximity warning system issued two warnings about the glideslope and sink rate.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Investigators found that the deviation from the glideslope, some 2-3s before touchdown, had become excessive and that the descent rate had increased to 1,070ft/min.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]This departure from a stable approach should have prompted a go-around, says the inquiry: “However, the captain did not carry this out, despite procedures requiring it.”[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]In testimony the captain stated that there was no time to react, as the landing followed almost immediately. The crew managed to reduce the descent rate to 500ft/min but the 747 contacted the runway with a 1.76g impact, bounced, and touched down again at 1.84g.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The aircraft had been arriving at Amsterdam Schiphol from Novosibirsk, as part of a flight from Hong Kong, on 13 January last year.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Three pilots had been in the cockpit, including one in the observer’s seat, with a fourth travelling in the cabin.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]The inquiry says that the captain and first officer had not mentioned any issues with fatigue during the landing, although it points out that the crew had been on duty for more than 14h at the time.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Investigators state that a strong and variable north-westerly wind was present during the approach, with a speed of 26kt gusting to 38kt. No windshear warning sounded on the 747 but other aircraft had reported windshear conditions.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Schiphol’s runway 36R is 3,400m long but the available landing distance had been restricted to 2,825m owing to the intersection with runway 09/27. This distance was “relatively short” for a large freighter, the inquiry says, but the crew had calculated a required runway length of 2,549m.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Tahoma, Arial, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]AirBridgeCargo has taken measures in the wake of the incident to prevent hard and short landings, it adds.[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brennus335

JCX BXC wrote: »
      Kuwait and Bahrain are different countries.

Infact, Kuwait are part of the GCC who are giving Bahrain money.

Indeed they are. I read that too quickly as a Bahraini 748.
      Must slow down....

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Coil Kilcrea

The HAJJ movement is presently ongoing, so Jeddah becomes a B747 airport, it quite fun to watch the number of arrivals per day with some interesting and strange airlines. 

Now that would be a pleasant afternoon watching all of that going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

The inquiry says that the captain and first officer had not mentioned any issues with fatigue during the landing, although it points out that the crew had been on duty for more than 14h at the time.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that's the investigators polite way of telling the company to give their pilots more adequate rest facilities / time. Running your pilots hard is cost effective till you have the runway fence tangled in your 747 undercarriage and have to take it out of service and pay for repairs.

It's out on a limb, cargo B747 usually have the best rest facilities thanks to the upper deck, this usually isn't used for cargo. A double crew would have only done half of the flying and should have split the rest to ensure that the landing pilot was sufficiently rested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭Shpud2

Speaking of AirBridgeCargo 747s there's one out in Shannon today.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Can you say that you wouldnt do the same given the opportunity?

About 10 years ago I was on a turnaround in Seville (I think) we were standing on the aircraft steps and witnessed a Spanish AF Mirage lining up for takeoff. The guy floored it, rocketed up and 2-3 mins later came roaring back over the airfield at about 5000 ft (estimated) having done a 180. Awesome to see and hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Took the kids to DUB this morning to watch ( and hear ) a few take offs. Was getting ready to leave, waiting on a WOW 737 that was painted purple when a big ol' Virgin Jumbo taxied over from behind the terminal. We stayed the extra few minutes, terrific to see and hear

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

Borzoi wrote: »
      waiting on a WOW 737 that was painted purple

WOW only fly Airbus

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

WOW only fly Airbus

To non "Anoraks" most twin engine aircraft are 737's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Air Atlanta B744F TF-AMN currently on the ground at DUB. It's due out to KGSP (Greenville SC) c 1630.
      46136231115_a63e749030_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

EchoIndia wrote: »
      Air Atlanta B744F TF-AMN currently on the ground at DUB. It's due out to KGSP (Greenville SC) c 1630.

That pic really highlights how bland the Aer Lingus livery is in the backgound. You hardly notice it :(

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

That pic really highlights how bland the Aer Lingus livery is in the backgound. You hardly notice it :(

I work in the airport and my first impressions were muck but actually it's grown on me. When you look at the new livery beside the old one it looks modern and fresh. The old one looks tired and dated beside it now.

Anyway there's another thread for this discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

EchoIndia wrote: »
      [/url]

Thanks

I knew Boards would have the answer, I flew under this plane on its approach near Portmarnock around 1410 yesterday and immediately noticed the size

The 4 engines also stand out in Dublin....would there be many planes like these in and out of Dublin?

Riskymove wrote: »
      The 4 engines also stand out in Dublin....would there be many planes like these in and out of Dublin?

B747s are a rare sight in Dublin. Hence this thread being in place.
      Dublin does however get regular visits from B777-300s, A350s, B787s and of course is home to A333s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

Tenger wrote: »
      B747s are a rare sight in Dublin. Hence this thread being in place.
      Dublin does however get regular visits from B777-300s, A350s, B787s and of course is home to A333s.

Do any of those have 4 engines, I think that was the question being asked?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

jasper100 wrote: »

No, only 747 and A340 are 4 engine and they are very rare birds these days.

A380 also but.............

jasper100 wrote: »
      Which I answered with my first sentence.
      My second sentence was to expand on that by indicating what other large widebodies you are able to see in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Lets not forget the fleet of 4 engined aircraft based in DUB! Although they'd be on the smaller side of the scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭Comhrá

From Facebook. Leaked photo of British Airways’ new BOAC livery on a 747-400 currently being painted at Dublin Airport.

52629664_2362670094005995_7636068693960556544_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=5ff291174d29e3361c57cc29a8d52e73&oe=5CFA0F95

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Phileas Frog

There's a 747 in Shannon every day.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 3,523 ✭✭✭SickBoy

There's a 747 in Shannon every day.

Active or just parked up?

Advertisement