Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Think this announcement will be Lucy leaving, and PJ Gallagher joining Hayes. Good god! Lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

prunudo wrote: »
    Maybe a merger coming, Classic Nova Fm or Radio Nova hits.

What could be done is a change of schedule in both stations and possibly swapping some of the presenters.

I did not want to mention it before but, seeing as there are about to be announcements, an informed source drew my attention to a tweet by a Nova presenter, who hinted they are getting some kind of big gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

prunudo wrote: »
    Maybe a merger coming, Classic Nova Fm or Radio Nova hits.

Well Nova has been a kind of Classic Nova FM for years now, it's hard to tell the difference between them at times.

They can now drop the pretence of being a rock or classic rock station and just become a n other Radio Bland FM.

Shame really, they had so much promise at the start, but have gradually watered themselves down over the years...add in the car crash breakfast show......

I don't think they would be permitted to merge given that they have two distinct licenses, even if there is considerable overlap in the music played and that they have common ownership. Swapping presenters, however, could be done as that's nothing to do with the licenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Courtenay until 10...
    Greg or Peter Devlin till lunch..
    Greg or Peter after lunch till drive time with Miller

Then I'd listen....:)

• Advertisement

Courtenay until 10...
    Greg or Peter Devlin till lunch..
    Greg or Peter after lunch till drive time with Miller

Then I'd listen....:)

You are forgetting that Classic Hits is making an announcement too, so, it won't quite be like that I would imagine! The swapping of presenters looks like a real runner for starters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

I was scrolling through Twitter the other day and somehow saw a tweet from Miller. I looked at his profile only to see his pic is him in a mask. Then I saw he had retweeted Dee Woods whose profile pic is of her...wearing a mask. Insufferable.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

I was scrolling through Twitter the other day and somehow saw a tweet from Miller. I looked at his profile only to see his pic is him in a mask. Then I saw he had retweeted Dee Woods whose profile pic is of her...wearing a mask. Insufferable.

Was listening to 8radio today....hadn't noticed before but he's on there doing some ad ...and him a "rock dj ".:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

I always thought this was an open secret but seems most aren't in the loop!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Colm and Lucy's last week! Thank God!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

adox wrote: »
    Colm and Lucy's last week! Thank God!!!!

PJ and Jim from Classic Hits doing a swap...

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Endfloat

PJ and Jim from Classic Hits doing a swap...

Oh don't even joke about that!

Thanks be to jaysis that Colm and Lucy are gone off Nova though. God they are brutal! I suppose it's too much to ask that they might get someone on who gives a toss about music??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I stopped listening to the breakfast show on Nova a couple of years ago. Have been listening to PJ and Jim. So looks like I'll be going back to Nova. Can't stand the gruesome twosome.

combo775 wrote: »
    Oh don't even joke about that!

Thanks be to jaysis that Colm and Lucy are gone off Nova though. God they are brutal! I suppose it's too much to ask that they might get someone on who gives a toss about music??

PJ and Jim have said they're switching to Nova so it's not a joke.

They probably think the other 2 will have more appeal on Classic Hits as it's broadcast in a few cities. Maybe Colin demanded the change.

Bollox anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Thats great news about Colm and Lucy. Don't know much about PJ and Jim. What are their music tastes like? Does their show (annoyingly) focus on little kids they way C&L do?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Thats great news about Colm and Lucy. Don't know much about PJ and Jim. What are their music tastes like? Does their show (annoyingly) focus on little kids they way C&L do?

No PJ & Jim's show wasn't annoyingly focused on kids. Though I'd imagine they'll have to think up new segments for when they swap over, as I don't think they can carry over the Hit Bit, or the Breakfast Table Quiz, or CSI years. Musically, mostly from the 80's, 90's, 2000's, with maybe the odd song from the 2010's.

Would imagine however, they'll carry over the celebrity birthdays segment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭prunudo

Wheety wrote: »
    I stopped listening to the breakfast show on Nova a couple of years ago. Have been listening to PJ and Jim. So looks like I'll be going back to Nova. Can't stand the gruesome twosome.

Same as, looks like I'll be following them over too. Yes they're not perfect and they probably rub some up the wrong way but you'll never please everyone and I'd rather PJ and Jim to the other two any day of the week.

Noticed a marked change to Nova on Saturday too as I tuned in and out at various times as i drove about.

PJ Gallagher is a comedian and actor when he is not doing radio presenting. You might remember him from Naked Camera. This is not his first time on Nova. Back in September 2014, he and Damien Farrelly did breakfast cover for a week. This turned out to be a practice run for Damien and PJ becoming the new breakfast show hosts on Classic Hits 4FM.

Jim McCabe has been with Classic Hits since 2011, most of that time as breakfast host. He moved from breakfast to mid-morning to make way for Damien and PJ. That was a relatively short-lived combination with Damien being moved to other slots and Jim and PJ going on to co-host the breakfast show on Classic Hits. Jim has been on many stations over the years - often as breakfast show host: Wicklow's East Coast FM, Lite FM (now Q102), Dublin's Country Mix 106.8 (now Sunshine 106.8), 98FM and FM104. He also had a few gigs with Today FM. Jim has done a lot of voice-over work as well.

They do joke a lot it has to be said, in between songs. It remains to be seen how much time will be taken up with banter when they move to Nova.

PJ and Jim said all of their bits, Breakfast Table Quiz etc. will be on their new show. I was going to list some more but I'm not sure if they'll continue with CSI and the Hitbit as they're on other shows on Classic Hits too.

As said above they won't be everyone's cup of tea but I like them. Much better than the other 2 clowns.

I've found myself stifling laughs on the bus (when that was a thing) as now and again, they'll go off on one and can be very funny, especially PJ and the characters he comes up with. Occasionally Jake Stevens gets a mention too.

At least I won't have to turn off the radio when Niall Boylan comes on. Who's on Nova around lunchtime?

I don't even know if they have kids as they don't spend every spare moment talking about them.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info on PJ & Jim. I have heard them occasionally when station surfing in the mornings over the years. Didn't Nova have something similar to CSI in the past? I'm talking a good few years ago.

I expect some joking and clowning around on a breakfast or drive home show but I don't want to hear from little kids who the presenters then treat like they are most amazing , wonderful people to have ever said a word on the radio. If I wanted to hear from little kids, I'd teach primary school. What I really want is some quality music and some DJs that know a bit about it. Can we expect to hear bands like Tool, Rancid, Volbeat, Disturbed and Rammstein on Nova now?

I don't think the bands mentioned would be in their respective wheelhouses...

Can we expect to hear bands like Tool, Rancid, Volbeat, Disturbed and Rammstein on Nova now?

Ehh, no. Not on your nellie. It's far too mainstream a station for that, much as it would be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

What's happening with Nova and Classic Hits?

Elmo wrote: »
    What's happening with Nova and Classic Hits?

Swapping breakfast show presenters.

Thanks for the info on PJ & Jim. I have heard them occasionally when station surfing in the mornings over the years. Didn't Nova have something similar to CSI in the past? I'm talking a good few years ago.

I expect some joking and clowning around on a breakfast or drive home show but I don't want to hear from little kids who the presenters then treat like they are most amazing , wonderful people to have ever said a word on the radio. If I wanted to hear from little kids, I'd teach primary school. What I really want is some quality music and some DJs that know a bit about it. Can we expect to hear bands like Tool, Rancid, Volbeat, Disturbed and Rammstein on Nova now?

Radio Nova is licensed as a classic rock station. You won't hear heavy metal or American punk other than Green Day or some better known tunes from Metallica!

Radio Nova is licensed as a classic rock station. You won't hear heavy metal or American punk other than Green Day or some better known tunes from Metallica!

Yeah I know I'm dreaming but lets face it, they haven't been sticking to their license for a long time now. I would love it if they actually played more classic rock. How old does a song have to be to be considered classic? The bands I listed all started in the 90s (except Volbeat) so does that make them classic?

I'd settle for more Metallica and Green Day (the earlier stuff of both), some ACDC, Zeppelin, Maiden, Kiss.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

Wheety wrote: »

Same I listened every morning to Marty and Dee, and couldn't deal with Colm and Lucy at that time of the morning when they switched. I really enjoy PJ and Jim so will be switching back to Nova now.

Yeah I know I'm dreaming but lets face it, they haven't been sticking to their license for a long time now. I would love it if they actually played more classic rock. How old does a song have to be to be considered classic? The bands I listed all started in the 90s (except Volbeat) so does that make them classic?

I'd settle for more Metallica and Green Day (the earlier stuff of both), some ACDC, Zeppelin, Maiden, Kiss.

Probably 20-25 years old would be considered classic. Then again depends on the person as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    as I don't think they can carry over.....the Breakfast Table Quiz, or CSI years.

They bleedin better!

Advertisement