Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,167 ✭✭✭prunudo

FanadMan wrote: »
    Can add it on Other Channels though

Tuning details for Planet Rock are -

H
    5/6

Sound, cheers for that, Christmas is saved.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Doesn’t look like Bruce Springsteen’s show is being aired any more. I think Nova only bought a handful of his shows. Pity, I quite liked it. But on a different note, they’ll be airing an interview Paul McCartney on Christmas Day aswell as a radio show that Bob Dylan did a while back. Interesting...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

AlgerShane wrote: »
    Doesn’t look like Bruce Springsteen’s show is being aired any more. I think Nova only bought a handful of his shows. Pity, I quite liked it.

Same as when they had Alice Coopers show. Only that was sponsored, and when the sponsorship ran out they dropped it.

prunudo wrote: »
    Sound, cheers for that, Christmas is saved.

Just thinking, if you want Planet Rock on the go, get the radio.net app. Think it works on android tv devices as well.

Just thinking, if you want Planet Rock on the go, get the radio.net app. Think it works on android tv devices as well.

Cheers will look into that too. I'm a bit old school where the tv and home tech is concerned, just used to listen to planetrock through the hifi via audio leads from back of sky box.
    A bluetooth style speaker might be worth a purchase this Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Get yourself a bluetooth audio transmitter on ebay..about a tenner.....listen to anything you want

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Who's the woman reading the news at the minute? She's made a few mistakes with words but most obviously in the last 2 bulletins she keep s saying fright instead of freight.

She was talking about the new Stena service to France being moved forward and said something along the line of " there's a new fright service being introduced on Tuesday........." And I thought he had pronounced flight as fright first till she started talking about ferries. :)

Who's the woman reading the news at the minute? She's made a few mistakes with words but most obviously in the last 2 bulletins she keep s saying fright instead of freight.

She was talking about the new Stena service to France being moved forward and said something along the line of " there's a new fright service being introduced on Tuesday........." And I thought he had pronounced flight as fright first till she started talking about ferries. :)

Yeah..noticed that before...very irritating...but in fairness she's probably a stunner...Hayes does the interviews so diction and pronunciation aren't important..does she say "axe" instead of "ask" too.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

She was talking about the new Stena service to France being moved forward and said something along the line of " there's a new fright service being introduced on Tuesday........." And I thought he had pronounced flight as fright first till she starte
    d talking about ferries. :)
    Very poor. Got it wrong both bulletins. Part time Christmas staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

The transformation from being a half decent station into just another Radio Bland FM is complete.

Flicking through the channels on my drive home last night, landed on Nova just as Courtenay played Kajagoogoo.....

Well done Agent Hayes, your mission is now complete !!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Dub Ste wrote: »
    The transformation from being a half decent station into just another Radio Bland FM is complete.

Flicking through the channels on my drive home last night, landed on Nova just as Courtenay played Kajagoogoo.....

Well done Agent Hayes, your mission is now complete !!!!

Could be worse. Kajagoogoo bass player is Nick Beggs who has performed with Steve Hackett, Steven Wilson, and is a founder member the Mute Gods!

Chance of hearing any of those performers on Nova - a big fat ZERO!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Is Ruth doing a double shift today for Marty Miller and Deirdre Woods?
    10 am to 1 pm
    and
    1 pm to 3 pm ?

Is Ruth doing a double shift today ?
    10 am to 1 pm
    and
    1 pm to 3 pm ?

covering for Morty and Dee for the next 2 weeks - unfortunately

greendom wrote: »
    Could be worse. Kajagoogoo bass player is Nick Beggs who has performed with Steve Hackett, Steven Wilson, and is a founder member the Mute Gods!

Chance of hearing any of those performers on Nova - a big fat ZERO!

PJ on digital is a big Wilson fan...good interview a while back...but its a different station over there....more like the rock, except for Pats live show...at least he doesnt have to interact with those other gobsh!tes masquerading as "dj's"......:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

PJ on digital is a big Wilson fan...good interview a while back...but its a different station over there....more like the rock, except for Pats live show...at least he doesnt have to interact with those other gobsh!tes masquerading as "dj's"......:rolleyes:

Oh that's interesting what's it called? Is it available on TuneIn?

greendom wrote: »
    Oh that's interesting what's it called? Is it available on TuneIn?

It's on the radio nova page, click on radio, top right in red..click on "classic rock" ..press the play button, green......enjoy...Pats on 9-1 Saturday night's .he's been recording shows because of covid ....hopefully back live ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Pat James' show is called Off The Record. It was originally on Radio Nova on Sundays from 10pm to 1am, then after a couple of years from 9pm to 1am, but was moved in July 2017 to its digital station Classic Rock. This year it was moved from Sunday to Saturday and I have yet to hear it since its most recent move!

The decision to move to saturday's was Pats.......he wasn't " moved"..he would have told Branners where to go....:P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,972 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

I know that this is normally a Nova bashing thread but I have to give them credit this morning. They played the uncensored version of Fairy Tale of New York.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Pat James' show is called Off The Record. It was originally on Radio Nova on Sundays from 10pm to 1am, then after a couple of years from 9pm to 1am, but was moved in July 2017 to its digital station Classic Rock. This year it was moved from Sunday to Saturday and I have yet to hear it since its most recent move!

Just in case some of the youngsters here don't appreciate it fully :), Pat James is a legend.

In the late 70's on Radio Dublin and then ARD, he introduced hard rock to Dublin and championed the emerging local Dublin Rock Scene. I remember hearing demo cassette tapes from the newly formed U2 on Pat's Rock Show, and indeed when forming Phantom legal with Principle Management as one of the investors, Paul McGuinness recalled fond memories of the support that Pat gave the band in their very early days. He also gave many other local bands a start, helping to develop what was once a thriving live rock music scene in the city.

If you haven't caught up with him yet, take a listen online.

• Advertisement

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Just in case some of the youngsters here don't appreciate it fully :), Pat James is a legend.

In the late 70's on Radio Dublin and then ARD, he introduced hard rock to Dublin and championed the emerging local Dublin Rock Scene. I remember hearing demo cassette tapes from the newly formed U2 on Pat's Rock Show, and indeed when forming Phantom legal with Principle Management as one of the investors, Paul McGuinness recalled fond memories of the support that Pat gave the band in their very early days. He also gave many other local bands a start, helping to develop what was once a thriving live rock music scene in the city.

If you haven't caught up with him yet, take a listen online.

I remember all of the above - I heard him on both stations and I heard those demo tapes of a raw but exciting U2! Pat James, as is his want, will only play early U2 stuff on his show!

EDIT: I think Pat James deserves a thread of his own as his radio story goes way beyond Radio Nova!

I remember all of the above - I heard him on both stations and I heard those demo tapes of a raw but exciting U2! Pat James, as his want, will only play early U2 stuff on his show!

Well he did introduce them to the listening public...all you hear about Fanning doing it is lies....

I remember seeing many new bands in the Crofton hotel ,where Pat broadcast from..he must have some selection of demos and first pressings....

Leave it here Declan.....that will really piss Haze and Branners off..big stylee....:P

Well he did introduce them to the listening public...all you hear about Fanning doing it is lies....

I remember seeing many new bands in the Crofton hotel ,where Pat broadcast from..he must have some selection of demos and first pressings....

To be fair to Dave Fanning, when he was in rival pirate Big D, he was also plugging U2. I don't know for sure but I suspect Pat did play them first.

ARD closed down in late 1979 and a group of deejays in the station (that included Ian Dempsey!) launched a new station Radio 257, which broadcast from the Crofton Airport Hotel. Pat James was amongst those survivors from ARD. By 1980, it had renamed itself back to ARD!

I think Pat must have got his hands on quite a few demos and first pressings. I would imagine that bands sent him demos and that he built up a relationship with Freebird Records, which he often mentioned!

Someone start that thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Jank1

It's funny how Nova made such a song and dance when John Clarke joined, claiming that RTE threatened an injunction against them using the name Jukebox, only for them to axe him and his Jukebox from the schedule due to poor ratings.

Jank1 wrote: »
    It's funny how Nova made such a song and dance when John Clarke joined, claiming that RTE threatened an injunction against them using the name Jukebox, only for them to axe him and his Jukebox from the schedule due to poor ratings.

John Clarke's Jukebox was axed but he wasn't. He moved to Sunday mornings, as opposed to mid-morning to lunch period slot.

I miss listening to JC.....

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Nova has its contract with the BAI extended for a further 10 years.

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/01/contracts-renewed-for-classic-hits-and-radio-nova/

Nova has its contract with the BAI extended for a further 10 years.

https://radiotoday.ie/2021/01/contracts-renewed-for-classic-hits-and-radio-nova/

"Whilst Radio Nova will provide a Classic Rock music-based sound"

Wonder is 80s pop classified as Classic Rock?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Yeah, or Jack Johnson?

• Advertisement

Back in the day we used to give out about their playlist, some posters said be thankful for what you have. How right they were, since Hayes joined and then brought his side kick onto the breakfast show the station has fallen off a cliff, certainly among its existing target audience.
    Greg Gaughran needs to be brought back to the day time schedule.

Advertisement