Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

radio nova

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,009 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Anybody remember journalist Barry Egan's slot on Sunday evenings? He used to interview musicians. When did that stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Anybody remember journalist Barry Egan's slot on Sunday evenings? He used to interview musicians. When did that stop?

You're paying him a massive compliment there by referring to him as a journalist :)

So, let's see who is still on Radio Nova from the original list of presenters: Marty Miller, Pat Courtenay and Greg Gaughren.

Presumably, Pat James (from the original lineup on Radio Nova) is still on their digital station Classic Rock with Off the Record on Saturday nights - it's a while since I have listened to it much, and certainly not since he was moved from Sundays to Saturdays. (He was moved from Radio Nova to Classic Rock a few years ago, initially staying on Sundays as before.)

And before someone says it: Dee Woods was not part of the original lineup of presenters! She was involved with news initially, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Pat James

Hi Declan, Still live on Saturday nights and the move from Sunday was my call, Too many early Monday mornings take a toll.

Pat James wrote: »
    Hi Declan, Still live on Saturday nights and the move from Sunday was my call, Too many early Monday mornings take a toll.

Hi Pat, thanks for replying directly. I used to dip in and out of your show but it became a rarer event when it was moved to Classic Rock. By the time it moved to Saturdays, I had fallen out of the habit. I can understand your decision.

Note to myself: must start listening again! I could have you plugged into my ear via my smartphone while I am doing something else!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Pat James

Cheers Declan, Your always welcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

You have some cv at this stage!

Too kind! Sure... I've been around a bit (I guess!) but I'm happy at this point to say I've spent the last 5 years in just the one station..- as head of production/station sound and a fill-in presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭McHardcore

Marty Miller makes my Friday. It reminds me of the weekend coming

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

McHardcore wrote: »
    Marty Miller makes my Friday. It reminds me of the weekend coming

Marty Miller makes me realize just how terrible those morning asshats really are!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

FanadMan wrote: »
    Marty Miller makes me realize just how terrible those morning asshats really are!

Marty Miller makes me realize just how bad the station is and how much of my time i wasted listening ....

Next......:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Who is on at lunch time? Is it Dee?

Nova is on in the kitchen, I'm working from home so hear it when making my lunch. It seems the list of songs they're allowed to play is very small. The Kinks - Come Dancing seems to be on every day aroud the same time. Bruce Springsteen with Cover Me too.

Wheety wrote: »
    Who is on at lunch time? Is it Dee?

Nova is on in the kitchen, I'm working from home so hear it when making my lunch. It seems the list of songs they're allowed to play is very small. The Kinks - Come Dancing seems to be on every day aroud the same time. Bruce Springsteen with Cover Me too.

Who's on first.....What's on second...............:D

Has Hayes made any reference to the Bossa Nova yet.........why, it Kevin Branigan of course....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

you'd swear they've paid bruce to move here and do the show live

The Nova Newsreader now announces after each bulletin:
    "Radio Nova, the home of the Bruce Springsteen radio Show" :rolleyes:

Are they trying to wind up how many listeners are going to turn up at Castleforbes House to not see Bruce !!?

So where are some of the former presenters of Radio Nova now? I deliberately left out some that I'm not sure - (a) if they are gone completely, or (b) what exactly they are doing now.... or (c) syndicated job!

Enda Murphy - Sunshine 106.8 and Classic Hits

Carol Dooley - Sunshine 106.8

Mike Maloney - online station Music One Ireland

John Power - presenter (as John Power) and owner (Noel Dicker) of Greystones-based digital station GCR Digital Radio

Breffni Clack - freelance multi-platform journalist and content creator

Hugh O'Brien - main job: solicitor. Often turns up on Christmas FM

Damien Farrelly - Classic Hits - was a filler breakfast presenter for about a week on Nova

P.J. Gallagher - Classic Hits - was a filler breakfast presenter for about a week on Nova

Paul Moriarity - Podcast producer and presenter for RTE (television and Radio One)

Johnny Bowe - Q102

David Tighe - Managing Director of Bauer Media Northern Ireland (Cool FM/Downtown Radio/Downtown Country) - when he was CEO of Nova, he did some fill in as presenter a few times

Can you fill in a few more gaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭its_steve116

So where are some of the former presenters of Radio Nova now? I deliberately left out some that I'm not sure - (a) if they are gone completely, or (b) what exactly they are doing now.... or (c) syndicated job!

Enda Murphy - Sunshine 106.8 and Classic Hits

Carol Dooley - Sunshine 106.8

Mike Maloney - online station Music One Ireland

John Power - presenter (as John Power) and owner (Noel Dicker) of Greystones-based digital station GCR Digital Radio

Breffni Clack - freelance multi-platform journalist and content creator

Hugh O'Brien - main job: solicitor. Often turns up on Christmas FM

Damien Farrelly - Classic Hits - was a filler breakfast presenter for about a week on Nova

P.J. Gallagher - Classic Hits - was a filler breakfast presenter for about a week on Nova

Paul Moriarity - Podcast producer and presenter for RTE (television and Radio One)

Johnny Bowe - Q102

David Tighe - Managing Director of Bauer Media Northern Ireland (Cool FM/Downtown Radio/Downtown Country) - when he was CEO of Nova, he did some fill in as presenter a few times

Can you fill in a few more gaps?

Conor Irwin - sportsreader on 98fm, last I heard.

Sinéad Ní Mhórdha - DJing in New York

Conor Irwin - sportsreader on 98fm, last I heard.

Sinéad Ní Mhórdha - DJing in New York

I was just about to add Sinead!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,268 ✭✭✭Homer

So I see Ruth Scott is standing in for Pat while he’s off.. but she is also standing in for Elaine Crowley on TV3 right now ... hmmmmm. Anyone confirm she has a doppelgänger?! Or is the Nova afternoon show pre recorded?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Homer wrote: »
    So I see Ruth Scott is standing in for Pat while he’s off.. but she is also standing in for Elaine Crowley on TV3 right now ... hmmmmm. Anyone confirm she has a doppelgänger?! Or is the Nova afternoon show pre recorded?

Used to hear her recording her shows on the Classic Rock stream.....for some reason it used to bleed through the music and occasionally the music would disappear completely and you'd hear the full recording. Quite a few of them would do it and some were really mad.....the language from the morning muppets was def not live radio standard, hearing Colon and Loopy effing and blinding was funny.

oops - yeah, lots of shows are recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

Listened to some of Springsteen show. He sounds very breathless as he does the links. A bit off putting I feel.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭peterobrien100

Listened to some of Springsteen show. He sounds very breathless as he does the links. A bit off putting I feel.

Listened to it last Thursday night his speech as you rightly point out was ruined by gasps for air every 3/4 words never mind a complete sentence.

The music choices were fine except for his New Jersey Buddy Jon Bon Jovi but really irked me was the contents of the links I felt it was condescending he kept going on about Lockdown and how it was effecting him and what he was doing and trying to put into perspective with the common person which was an american audience primarily in this case, so maybe thats why it was just not making any connection to me with the audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I enjoyed the music but found Springsteen very hard to listen to.....like most of the 'presenters' on Nova.

I enjoyed the music but found Springsteen very hard to listen to.....like most of the 'presenters' on Nova.

Fits in perfectly then....:P......I heard him on BBC2 but couldnt stand his "drunken slobbering"...or is that how "cool" sounds.....shame...

Is Pat Courtenay doing the show from home since he has returned from holidays?

Usually he is from the studio

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Homer wrote: »

Elaine is pre-recorded AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Is Pat Courtenay doing the show from home since he has returned from holidays?

Usually he is from the studio

Don't know but maybe he's quarantining?

Don't know but maybe he's quarantining?

Songs, jingles, ads, promos etc and overall technical presentation is very all over the place.
    Short links, no callers.

Good to have Pat back though !!

Ruth Scott has suddenly taken over the show now???

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭AlgerShane

Yeah, what happened? Pat was live and then Ruth suddenly took over? :confused:

AlgerShane wrote: »

Maybe Pat had some technical issues if he was broadcasting from home.

• Advertisement

AlgerShane wrote: »

No introduction or explanation from Ruth when she did take over.
    It was like she was presenting the entire show from the start.

At times you could hear Pat on the phone to someone, trying to fix the issues.
    There was white noise to be heard at times and music / sound effects beds with no Pat talking over them.

Maybe he is over in New Zealand?

Advertisement