Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eflow fines - Sheriff took car.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭joeysoap

I have friends from NI who crossed the bridge two years ago. Not familiar with bridge and didn't pay. Never heard another word either. I think if it's a 'once' off and not repeated you might get away with it. My friends are genuine they didn't know anything about it until talking to me. I don't like the M50 and when I am very occassionally driving ( not more than 4 times a year) on it I try and concentrate on the road - not overhead instructions, having said that if I change my car I just put it onto the credit card with eflow and take the old car off. If this lady had done it that way she would get at least months notice from the credit card company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

If you aren't observing the signs, what other signs are you missing? A bit worrying.

That your friend is from NI is the clue as to why he never heard more.

fox0512 wrote: »
    What would be your advice?.... Pay 6k ???

The point is that she can get what she wants without having to pay that figure...

I dont understand the confusing... day after day people are being bullied from money collectors etc and crap their pants when they receive a legal letter...she can simply enter talks for a revised amount!

She has paid the 6k in effect.... they have her car. If she doesn't stump up quick in cash, it will be off to the Auction. They hold all the cards now.

Freeman: for the record there is a wait list of about 16 weeks for free legal aid ......your car would be sold by then !!!! NOT good advice - research your stuff !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,233 ✭✭✭joeysoap

Fair point, I meant overhead instructions about paying , not road or traffic signs. My car has a speed setting on it, when I come to the part of the road where the speed reduces to 100 , I can set it to that, yet I am constantly overtaken by traffic as though I am crawling. M50 is a jungle as far as I see. Anyway that's getting away from topic, I was merely stating that by registering your car with eflow by the credit card you can't get caught by surprise, you have the normal credit card rules including minimum payment, so maybe instead DD the lady should have taken this route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

I agree shes in a tough spot .... but if shes willing to make some kind of payment the sheriff office has to listen.. refusing to pay a bill is so diff in being unable to to pay and a court will listen every time regarding a payment plan..hope it works out for her...its tough one

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I agree shes in a tough spot .... but if shes willing to make some kind of payment the sheriff office has to listen.. refusing to pay a bill is so diff in being unable to to pay and a court will listen every time regarding a payment plan..hope it works out for her...its tough one
    Apparently the sheriffs office did say that they would reduce the amount by 50%.
    The OP aseed how she could get the car back without paying the sheriff so my take on it is that she is still unwilling to behave like a grown up and accept her responsibilities.

kbannon wrote: »
    Apparently the sheriffs office did say that they would reduce the amount by 50%.
    The OP aseed how she could get the car back without paying the sheriff so my take on it is that she is still unwilling to behave like a grown up and accept her responsibilities.

Ah well if thats the craic then I have no sympathy :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

What would be your advice?.... Pay 6k ???

The point is that she can get what she wants without having to pay that figure...

I dont understand the confusing... day after day people are being bullied from money collectors etc and crap their pants when they receive a legal letter...she can simply enter talks for a revised amount!

Advice is engage and talk. Blindly ignoring correspondence is her own fault. Agree with not necessarily 6k being the figure but this her fault alone

Needles73 wrote: »
    Advice is engage and talk. Blindly ignoring correspondence is her own fault. Agree with not necessarily 6k being the figure but this her fault alone

Hey look I agree...to reach 6k must be a record for e flow :) that 6k = a lot of ignored letters, court dates...I would not advise anyone to not pay a bill just for the sake of it....and TBH a3k settlement would be very fair from eflow as it would barley cover their costs at this point...

• Advertisement

joeysoap wrote: »
    Fair point, I meant overhead instructions about paying , not road or traffic signs. My car has a speed setting on it, when I come to the part of the road where the speed reduces to 100 , I can set it to that, yet I am constantly overtaken by traffic as though I am crawling. M50 is a jungle as far as I see. Anyway that's getting away from topic, I was merely stating that by registering your car with eflow by the credit card you can't get caught by surprise, you have the normal credit card rules including minimum payment, so maybe instead DD the lady should have taken this route.

how do you know what the sign is about without reading it? It might be vital traffic info but you wont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

What is the story with this company? I paid the toll and fine, but they decided to take more money from my account! Another phone call required!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What is the story with this company? I paid the toll and fine, but they decided to take more money from my account! Another phone call required!
    Yes, best to ask here before calling then directly.
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

kbannon wrote:
    Yes, best to ask here before calling then directly.

Thanks smarty pants!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭ebbsy

In this country not paying road tax or parking fines is a greater crime than robbing or assault.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

People are way too hung up on the debt been €24. The debt would be 24 euro if the girl managed to pay her tolls in time and she didn't. All the penalties for using toll roads are set out for everyone to see in black and white and when people forget to pay the pay the fine.

Already I see "oh should the judgement come registered post", so this person just wants to blame the postal system now for this mess? Come on, everyone and their dog already know the key point here: you have to pay to use toll roads. So with that in mind if you don't want to pay the fee then don't use the roads it's really as simple as that. My advice now on this matter is the girl should just grow the hell up, accept responsibility for her failings, engage with the sheriff and sort this mess out without blaming others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

jonnycivic wrote: »
    People are way too hung up on the debt been €24. The debt would be 24 euro if the girl managed to pay her tolls in time and she didn't. All the penalties for using toll roads are set out for everyone to see in black and white and when people forget to pay the pay the fine.

Already I see "oh should the judgement come registered post", so this person just wants to blame the postal system now for this mess? Come on, everyone and their dog already know the key point here: you have to pay to use toll roads. So with that in mind if you don't want to pay the fee then don't use the roads it's really as simple as that. My advice now on this matter is the girl should just grow the hell up, accept responsibility for her failings, engage with the sheriff and sort this mess out without blaming others.

Sounds like they took more than that from her bank account or credit card? Someone said if you default on a 10 fine/fee they take 50, or something like that..sorry, can't remember the exact post.
    If you only have so much to live on and suddenly a big chunk of that is swiped, it can mess up your food budget, rent/mortgage etc. IF she has anxiety especially, it could all have spiralled out of control for her very quickly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Sounds like they took more than that from her bank account or credit card? Someone said if you default on a 10 fine/fee they take 50, or something like that..sorry, can't remember the exact post.
    If you only have so much to live on and suddenly a big chunk of that is swiped, it can mess up your food budget, rent/mortgage etc. IF she has anxiety especially, it could all have spiralled out of control for her very quickly.

OK she said she used to have an account and they took more out than they should so she cancelled the account. Now cancelling her account was her choice and the consequences of that choice was that she had to pay her tolls in time. She didn't pay not just once but for 12 different trips and all the fines etc that come. She ignored it all, plain and simple she chose to do it and nobody put a gun to her head. As I said she's an adult so she should start acting like one and sort her own mess out by first of all taking responsibility for letting get to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,991 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

wonski wrote: »
    OK, here it goes.

First of all average value of cars seized was not €28,600.

Also just because they listed some high end cars, some of them almost 10 years old anyway, doesn't mean there weren't any old bangers. Out of 60 they listed some either BMW/Audis or the newest they could find (which happened to be Corolla and Transit). They also seized red car which shows how detailed this news report is.

And finally, it is all speculation at this stage, because one little thing can change the future, and who knows what the actual value of these cars will be in 2105:

396027.png

This level of journalism is why I generally wouldn't call it a report. A piece written by an intern more like.

I found that most enlightening .....
    In 2105, State-owned toll operator eFlow seized a total of 59 cars on the back of court judgements, just two of which appeared to have been registered outside Dublin – to addresses in Clonee, Co Meath.

It is good to know what will happen in the future ....... wonder if a bet could be laid with Paddy Power ...... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

jonnycivic wrote: »
    OK she said she used to have an account and they took more out than they should so she cancelled the account. Now cancelling her account was her choice and the consequences of that choice was that she had to pay her tolls in time. She didn't pay not just once but for 12 different trips and all the fines etc that come. She ignored it all, plain and simple she chose to do it and nobody put a gun to her head. As I said she's an adult so she should start acting like one and sort her own mess out by first of all taking responsibility for letting get to this point.

She's not here so we don't know. I got the impression she was supposed to be challenging fines but she didn't go to court. I'm going to guess things starting spiralling out of her control and it all got on top of her. Anxiety can make it hard to even make a phone call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

Freeman: for the record there is a wait list of about 16 weeks for free legal aid ......your car would be sold by then !!!! NOT good advice - research your stuff !

Speaking of doing your research, civil legal aid is not free. Also the waiting lists for each centre differs from 5 weeks at the lowest to 33 at the highest and the average waiting time is lower than 16 weeks.

salomon wrote: »
    Speaking of doing your research, civil legal aid is not free. Also the waiting lists for each centre differs from 5 weeks at the lowest to 33 at the highest and the average waiting time is lower than 16 weeks.

Was assuming OP was in Dublin area , wait times are well over 3 months ....I'm simply trying to say it's not the option for emergency cases like goods or car repossessions that are happening now . The car will be gone by the time OP gets appointment . It's not about being right or wrong , it's about trying to help with relevant advice .

I did not make the original post about "free legal aid" . Also I did not coin the phrase "free legal aid". Anyway I think it's assessed on how much you can afford to pay.

Once again people here are trying to advise on best options and if this OP is in financial difficulty then it might have been an option if time wasn't against her .

I am not here to be pedantic and analyse whether free legal aid is free or not . It's a system that was set up to help people who cannot afford full legal fees . End of .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

No you go to prison in default, usually for about 3 hours. If you ask nicely you'll get a cuppa.

Sheriff = Civil Recovery (No criminal record)
    Non payment of fine = prison in default.

Note a fine is a criminal sanction and will result in a criminal record.

Non payment of a court fine is not prison next.

Recovery orders, attachment orders or community service may come next, but certainly not prison.

A sherif can also recover unpaid court imposed criminal conviction fines, not just civil debts, it's just not common though probably due to the usual low amount of the majority of fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭salomon

I did not make the original post about "free legal aid" . Also I did not coin the phrase "free legal aid". Anyway I think it's assessed on how much you can afford to pay.

Once again people here are trying to advise on best options and if this OP is in financial difficulty then it might have been an option if time wasn't against her .

I am not here to be pedantic and analyse whether free legal aid is free or not . It's a system that was set up to help people who cannot afford full legal fees . End of .

I'm well aware what LAB was set up for. Long story short the friend wouldn't get a legal aid cert as it wouldn't satisfy the merits test for legal aid. Also, irrespective of waiting lists, there is a priority system for cases if there's a pressing need. But for avoidance of doubt legal aid board wouldn't have been an option in this case except for legal advice before the case came to court

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭XPS_Zero

The first line of the OP's post was "I'm just looking to get some helpful advice"

Everyone saying they've no sympathy, deserved what she got etc is NOT helpful, nor is it advice

Hahaha! You think most people come here to help others or exchange info? Some do, but mostly, like most forums people are here to take offense, argue with things people didn't say, but most of all..

To Stand up on a giant pedestal and JUDGE JUDGE JUDGE oh how we love casting moral judgement and thinking about situations with our emotions not our logic.

We may have moved on from judging gays and blacks (though we still love to stereotype them) but we still love to judge, and make no mistake people turn on homophobic comments now not because they think it's morally wrong as such it's just that that's become the new socially dominant viewpoint and THATS why people turn on them, the herd instinct has flipped. It used to be fun to judge the gays but that's too unpopular now so let's dance all over the homophobes, not cos their views are wrong but because we need to judge and it's fun to be part of the herd dancing all over the "other", the "other" changes, the dance stays the same.

You could see a classic example of this in that Trinity Back to Education case, letting her through long term saves the state money and doesn't give her any extra than what she'd already have on the dole.
    But remarkably people casted judgement about her situation without understanding even the basics of how the BTE system works, again not using logic but emotion, focusing on how many kids she has and declaring she's getting something extra others were not (not letting facts get in the way, forgetting we can all get tuition free college and grant money to help reduce your work hours so you can study it's just a diff system you apply through and use as a mature student or former welfare recipient)

Now in the above situation the emotional judging and logic happen to coincide (if you don't take note of how many times you use a service, then ignore 12 letters, late warnings and a court summons you can't seriously be surprised when CONSEQUENCES happen), but that's incidental to the fun of beating up on someone.

As you can see most of the reaction is of moral condemnation not the number of warnings she had and even the very valid point some made at this being a grossly disproportionate punishment gets drowned out by the emotional judgement.

Oh how the Irish love to judge and always have and it's all emotional. A recent radio discussion on 98fm about unemployment asking the remarkably dumbed down oversimplified question "if you're still unemployed are you just lazy" and once more an emotional orgy with no rational thinking was involved because that might get in the way of the judgement.

Because the point in these discussions for many (not all) is not a genuine understanding of the topic but the emotional orgasam they get by revealing in how someone else is morally inferior to them.
    They ABSURDLY asked why Jonno from Tallaght can't get a job that Hakim from India can get....gee might it be that Hakim is highly skilled with a doctorate or postgrad and Jono doesn't have the same same skills? Nah that's no fun, calling Jono a "lazy bollix who needs to pull the finger out" and "apply for jobs in McDonald's" (which, daytime radio suggests, will hire anyone who shows up, and are never full), that's much more fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Well, that escalated quickly :O

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    I'd say she had no idea of the implications of not paying the fines, and that is the problem.

And to be fair, I would say that is the case of most people who end up in this situation.

Ignorantia juris non excusat - Ignorance of the law is no defence.

She need to engage with the Sheriff. They may accept a payment plan but she will have to come to a deal or arrangement with them.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

...and we're done

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement