Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eflow fines - Sheriff took car.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The first line of the OP's post was "I'm just looking to get some helpful advice"

Everyone saying they've no sympathy, deserved what she got etc is NOT helpful, nor is it advice.

None of us know this person's full situation or what went through her head and yes of course she screwed up but it's done.
    She's probably in a heap over this and just needs a way to fix it and move on with her life.

OP, I would not be in the least bit used to situations like this but if it was me I would contact a good solicitor and go from there.

I really don't understand why people have to be so critical and rude on here when someone seeks help.
    I was the first to reply and I suggested getting legal advice quickly.

However, it shoukd also be pointed out that this person still doesn't want to pay and still doesn't appear to think it's their fault...
    "How can she fight her case and get her car back without paying the sheriff? Remembering of course that all calls are recorded and that she offered to pay the tolls without fees as it was eflows errors that led to her cancelling her account."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

flatty wrote: »
    If I may add something on eflow's behalf, I have had problems with billing before on the m50 when home from England on holiday. Forgot to pay initially, but rang them, and no problems at all. My bro racked up about six journeys when loaned him my car. I had no idea, but when I went to add the car, which was new to me, into the account they drew it to my attention. They waived the fine and just debited the correct amount. I have never found them anything other than flexible and pleasant to deal with, and would look on them as gold standard in customer care.

If we leave aside the fact that the whole m50 toll bridge is an unbelievable scam on the back of the tax payers and road users to begin with.
    They're laughing all the way to the bank, shall we give them a medal for being 'flexible' about their daylight robbery scheme?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Leaving everything else aside....what kind of business would run up 6k costs chasing a 24 euro debt? We'd all go under if we did that.

No ifs, no buts...if a 24 quid ticket can end up with your jamjar being seized then something is totally, completely and utterly wrong with the system that allowed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

JayRoc wrote: »
    Leaving everything else aside....what kind of business would run up 6k costs chasing a 24 euro debt? We'd all go under if we did that.

No ifs, no buts...if a 24 quid ticket can end up with your jamjar being seized then something is totally, completely and utterly wrong with the system that allowed it.

All things equal but the debts stopped being €24 a long long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

JayRoc wrote: »

Let's go back to barriers on m50.

You don't pay, you don't go.

That would do. No ifs, no buts....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

All things equal but the debts stopped being €24 a long long time ago.
    you have to wonder about the efficiencies of your debt reclamation process if it increases the original debt by a factor of 10,000%.
    i would be interested to hear how many other lines of business would be able to reclaim debt, plus the cost of reclaiming it, with such a markup?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

you have to wonder about the efficiencies of your debt reclamation process if it increases the original debt by a factor of 10,000%.
    i would be interested to hear how many other lines of business would be able to reclaim debt, plus the cost of reclaiming it, with such a markup?

There is a system of increased penalties laid out if you don't pay the original fine
    First it doubles then it goes to forty odd Euro then 140 odd and eventually up to over 400

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

"posts like this will never end" indeed, however, there is a lot to be learned by them....Under no circumstances should a Sheriff be involved at this stage unless a serious of court cases has taken place... To get to this point it could take 2/3 years in some cases....

I have had a few run ins with e flow and ive never payed them one cent because I know how to handle such a money grabbing scheme but many do not...very quickly a small fine can get out of hand and again for many they have to or choose to ignore.... Its hard to believe nowadays how legal letters still seem to scare people into paying what they cant afford, ok, bills need to be payed but you can only pay what you can afford and every court in the land will work in your favor..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

Seems extortionate and needs regulation. I hope the OP's friend can find a good solicitor to deal with this malarkey.
    Stheno wrote: »
    There is a system of increased penalties laid out if you don't pay the original fine
    First it doubles then it goes to forty odd Euro then 140 odd and eventually up to over 400

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

percy212 wrote: »
    Seems extortionate and needs regulation. I hope the OP's friend can find a good solicitor to deal with this malarkey.

Iys mandated AFAIK by the NRA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

So her stance with eflow and the solicitors was that she would not be paying the extra charges and will happily go to court and fight her case.

She clearly didn't.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,405 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it may be mandated by the NRA, so let's keep it in the sphere of transport. i was once hit with the standard fare on the luas (was using the ticket as a bookmark, not a good idea with a luas ticket).
    my €2.75 ticket (which handily, is commensurate with the cost of crossing the M50) immediately jumped to i think €45; which i paid up, fair cop.
    however, if i hadn't paid it (from railusers.ie):
    "Failure to pay the fixed penalty notice within 21 days will result in a court summons being issued. Maximum penalty before the courts is €1000 and/or up to 3 months in jail. Irish Rail and Transdev (Luas) have consistently obtained a 80%+ conviction rate in these cases."

the question is, can non-payment of this fine be referred to a debt collection agency?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

it may be mandated by the NRA, so let's keep it in the sphere of transport. i was once hit with the standard fare on the luas (was using the ticket as a bookmark, not a good idea with a luas ticket).
    my €2.75 ticket (which handily, is commensurate with the cost of crossing the M50) immediately jumped to i think €45; which i paid up, fair cop.
    however, if i hadn't paid it (from railusers.ie):
    "Failure to pay the fixed penalty notice within 21 days will result in a court summons being issued. Maximum penalty before the courts is €1000 and/or up to 3 months in jail. Irish Rail and Transdev (Luas) have consistently obtained a 80%+ conviction rate in these cases."

the question is, can non-payment of this fine be referred to a debt collection agency?

No you go to prison in default, usually for about 3 hours. If you ask nicely you'll get a cuppa.

Sheriff = Civil Recovery (No criminal record)
    Non payment of fine = prison in default.

Note a fine is a criminal sanction and will result in a criminal record.

She clearly didn't.

the system can be beat but you have to go about it the right way...as you said she clearly didnt..

Outside court one can mouth off but inside if your the victim or not you play it..

How to beat an e flow bill...make sure their court bills out-way the costs they are trying to recover.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JayRoc

fox0512 wrote: »

How to beat an e flow bill...make sure their court bills out-way the costs they are trying to recover.

My point was, this is not the case. If it were,they wouldn't go to court over 24 quid. Like any normal company.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,973 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

OP's friend had her chances to deal with the matter long before it got to the point where the debt increased to such a level and to the stage where her car ended up being seized. It certainly wasn't a first option for such an action to settle the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Newman35

Look, I understand your pain, our friends here in boards and I, none of us have a clear picture of what happened between your friend and eflow the last few months, so all we can do is assume and give you advice based on them assumptions. Based on what you said I will support you and go along with you believing eflow overcharged you, on the other hand, I would also say that you have not taken the right decision at the right time which may have lead to this.

What I would like to say is it's not the time to sit and worry, it's hard to see a new car go, I can imagine that your friend struggled to get one eventually, it's mentally stressful to spend each and every minute thinking what’s going to happen. All you have to do is stop worrying get up and face it. It's not end of the world! , its time to fight your case, look for a solicitor, if money is an issue , look for a solicitor who offers ‘No Win No Fee option’ if you have a solid case they will go along with you, else go for free legal aid. But from now on do not ignore the court or eflow. Don’t make the court or eflow dictate what you did wrong on basis of the facts submitted by eflow, and not considering the fact that why you did wrong? There has to be a reason what made your friend to ignore eflow, was she mentally harassed by eflow because eflow was frequently sending threatening reminders? Or are there any other reasons? You friend has to go to the beginning where it all started and bring up evidence to support her claim, There certainly has to be some point of truth on your side too, you have your version of what made your friend end up into this situation and the court has to address that. I am not saying you will win the case, you may get your car back or the judgement issued against your friend may not be that hard as you may expect if you have strong reasons to support your claims.

One thing I would like to say to all here reading this, am not happy with the government imposing tolls on roads and I am sure the majority of us agree with me, Road and Water must be available for anybody to use with no charges. There are people and families out there struggling to afford basic food and shelter and the govt is going on imposing charges on what they can find because we people are quiet??? Seriously, people who can afford can use a road and who can’t cannot can f off??? This is what the govt literally say isn’t it?? This bureaucracy has to stop. Just like the way we stand beside each other fighting for water we all should stand up together to fight such unfair things the govt is doing to us all. Imagine if there were no expensive tolls on the roads, our friend’s friend here who is a mother of two would never be in this situation the first place, and none of our friends who are suffering out there will be in such situation either.

All I ask everyone here is that our friend here is in a situation and he is looking for help and support, If people do not have anything to offer please do not post comments that would drag these couples down. Equally, I am grateful to them people who are legitly supporting.

OP's friend had her chances to deal with the matter long before it got to the point where the debt increased to such a level and to the stage where her car ended up being seized. It certainly wasn't a first option for such an action to settle the matter.

E flow can do what they like it seems in terms of mark up tho...im sure she had many easier options along the way...you can ignore it only to a point..

I remember going to dub soon after the visual toll vanished into thin air with my 2eur on the seat beside me thinking WTF is the toll gone!...When i contacted e flow they said "the new arrangement was advertise on rte ect...what a joke!...:pac::pac: we are no longer a nation of 2 channels my friend...this should be fun in court...by this time the bill was 600 ish...never heard a word after...

If she is clever and OP is listening she will enter talks on a revised settlement... if agreed the car comes back...she can still come out the other side a lot lower than 6k... Not sure the "unhelpful comments" are just that but just blunt facts, she needs a good solicitor not a mickey mouse one to get the ball rolling..the ball is in her court in more ways than one...If this car is financed then it is not her legal property until payed for in full...so for starters the sheriff took a car thats not hers....theres so many ways to beat these gobsh@tes at their own game...

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Newman35

If she is clever and OP is listening she will enter talks on a revised settlement... if agreed the car comes back...she can still come out the other side a lot lower than 6k... ...

I totally agree with what you said, she definitely needs a good solicitor, its an interesting case for a smart solicitor, and the ball is definitely in her court in more ways as you said, have a good feeling bout it you know.

• Advertisement

well look,some would consider the car being taken as a point of no return but all it is- is a bargaining chip...the sheriff is just a repo man in many respects, its not his prize or he doesnt make money on it...if car is financed by bank and not credit union etc then it is not a private loan (I stand corrected) it is, if bank loan the property of until payed for like a mortgage....if finance through dealer then the sheriff has taken the finance company's car or at least thats what they say on the fine print :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

fox0512 wrote:
    I remember going to dub soon after the visual toll vanished into thin air with my 2eur on the seat beside me thinking WTF is the toll gone!...When i contacted e flow they said "the new arrangement was advertise on rte ect...what a joke!... we are no longer a nation of 2 channels my friend...this should be fun in court...by this time the bill was 600 ish...never heard a word after...

You're kidding right? There was and still is big signs around it telling you to contact them and pay the toll!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

E flow can do what they like it seems in terms of mark up tho...im sure she had many easier options along the way...you can ignore it only to a point..

I remember going to dub soon after the visual toll vanished into thin air with my 2eur on the seat beside me thinking WTF is the toll gone!...When i contacted e flow they said "the new arrangement was advertise on rte ect...what a joke!...:pac::pac: we are no longer a nation of 2 channels my friend...this should be fun in court...by this time the bill was 600 ish...never heard a word after...

I expect they took one look at your car and decided it wasn't worth the €600 :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Can someone ban this fella already? He's talking out of his arse and offering advise to avoid payment.

peteb2 wrote: »
    You're kidding right? There was and still is big signs around it telling you to contact them and pay the toll!

That particular day way back a lot of driving had been done, heavy traffic,tired eyes etc...I just got caught out as many others did...

RossieMan wrote: »
    Can someone ban this fella already? He's talking out of his arse and offering advise to avoid payment.

Only an idiot would enter into talks to repay 6k in what is an unfair system that very quickly leads to 100's of euros...

I expect they took one look at your car and decided it wasn't worth the €600 :cool:

lol ... I simply told their legal that to retrieve the 5/600eur it would cost them 3k plus in court...I know the law,he knew it and that was that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

RossieMan wrote: »

I think a Freeman or two would round this thread out nicely entertainment wise!

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

Only an idiot would enter into talks to repay 6k in what is an unfair system that very quickly leads to 100's of euros...

I think if that's the advice you are giving we all can see who is the idiot

• Advertisement

Needles73 wrote: »
    I think if that's the advice you are giving we all can see who is the idiot

What would be your advice?.... Pay 6k ???

The point is that she can get what she wants without having to pay that figure...

I dont understand the confusing... day after day people are being bullied from money collectors etc and crap their pants when they receive a legal letter...she can simply enter talks for a revised amount!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement