Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Donoghue on at this time of the day has me completely thrown off. Feel like I should be going out the door to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

gimmick wrote: »
    Donoghue on at this time of the day has me completely thrown off. Feel like I should be going out the door to work.

He also gave out the newstalk breakfast contact details again... I think the idea is good to have a more magazine programme at driving home time, having George ranting was sometimes too much after a day in work, but as nice as I'm sure Chris and Sarah are... They're just such a non-entity of a pairing. Neither of them pack a punch when interviewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

It was good timing to bring this thread back, considering the new schedule is just the old schedule at different times of the day under different names. Makes for a lot of overlap in the other threads.

So, am I right in saying the OTB bit in the Drive show...that's just the sports news being presented as OTB, and then some fawning about what guests are on OTB later?

Except for yesterday when Chris said "Coming up after the break, Off The Ball", and then after the break was a bit about the price of rental accomodation.

I think Chris is doing fine in his new slot. Sarah on the other hand sounds like a college radio presenter. Very lightweight and an almost apologetic questioning style. I hope its just new show nerves for her and she progresses nicely.

Henry McKean though. My god, the moment his name is mentioned I switch the channel. Cannot abide him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭kazamo

Turtle_ wrote: »
    He also gave out the newstalk breakfast contact details again... I think the idea is good to have a more magazine programme at driving home time, having George ranting was sometimes too much after a day in work, but as nice as I'm sure Chris and Sarah are... They're just such a non-entity of a pairing. Neither of them pack a punch when interviewing.

+1
    Everytime I hear Chris I have an image of a PC version of Frank Sidebottom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,014 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

On drive show yesterday they had a segment on phishing , their tech correspondant suggested "you should always call the number on an email if your not sure", not sure about the wisdom of calling the number on a potentially phishing email!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

There's a real bang of amateur hour off the new drive show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

On drive show yesterday they had a segment on phishing , their tech correspondant suggested "you should always call the number on an email if your not sure", not sure about the wisdom of calling the number on a potentially phishing email!

I was thinking the exact same thing. Like, go and Google it and get the number from the banks own website.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Got a chance to listen to Drive the past two days. I quite like it. I think Sarah needs to iron out a few things, but overall I think it's enjoyable background listening. Much better than Hook anyway IMO, and a lighter alternative to Cooper which is nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭KReid

Henry McKean though. My god, the moment his name is mentioned I switch the channel. Cannot abide him at all.

He's on every ****ing show on the station it seems!! It's a voxpop for god sake....
    "Next up, Henry McKean finds out how hard it is for students to find accommodation in Dublin" We know how hard it is already, interviewing a few students offers no insight, it also isn't engaging.

Used to hate when Moncrieff teased us with "Next up, how is Pokemon Go affecting Dublin Traffic" and thinking oh this could be interesting...until he says "Henry McKean went to find out"

I haven't listened as much as I would like, Sarah sounds like shes lost, dosent actually come across well on radio, her actual voice seems very soft, hard to hear clearly if its background, nothing major though, we'll see how she does.

In terms of a magazine show, isn't Moncrieff a magazine show, Drive should be more hard-hitting and rounding up the days events and getting interviews etc.. MAybe 6-7 should be more light hearted then.

Think NT editors could be more defined in what they want from shows. Movie and TV reviews on the other day, then they are also on Tom Dunne and Moncrieff.

Pat Kenny doesn't seem to know what kind of show it is anymore, one minute it's Enda Kenny, the next it's a band in studio, then it's a sports piece...

Haven't heard Hook yet in his new role, wonder can he pull in the same listeners as before. Strangely I liked Lunchtime, I might catch half an hour at lunch but the nature of it meant they got through a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭sheep?

Does anybody listen to Futureproof on Saturdays?

Heard it for the first time a few months back, and have since tuned in regularly. I quite like it, and I'd be well up for hearing more Jonathan McCrae on Newstalk. I'd like to see him sub Seán once or twice, I think it'd be a nice fit.

sheep? wrote: »
    Does anybody listen to Futureproof on Saturdays?

Heard it for the first time a few months back, and have since tuned in regularly. I quite like it, and I'd be well up for hearing more Jonathan McCrae on Newstalk. I'd like to see him sub Seán once or twice, I think it'd be a nice fit.

He has stood in for Sean before. I'm pretty sure the general consensus round here was that he did a pretty good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭PeterTheNinth

Henry's whole "it's my first day on the planet routine" runs a little bit thin. Why does he play so dumb in every report?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,808 ✭✭✭ShagNastii

Used to hover between Todayfm and Newstalk on the commute home but I feel my may have to become a fully blown Last Word guy.

It's just far too much of a clinical effort from Chris and Sarah. I like my presenters with a bit of character. COD and Sarah Mc are very much from the new breed of cookie cutter media types.

Sometimes Yeats and Hook are parodies of themselves but they always add a certain black or white to a growing grey radio landscape.

Might be ar*ey to say but is Sarah Mcinerney a placeholder for when Ivan Yeats rekindles his duo with Chris or even worst is she solidly in place to get some female talent in the Newstalk ranks.

Pat starting at 9 is totally throwing me. Been on for nealy two hours, and it's not even bleedin 11 o'clock yet.

Thought it was nearly lunchtime.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

George Hook discussing Mozambique with Barry Kenny..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

Ciara Kelly has got her own medical show starting on Saturday 9am(I think).

foxtrot101 wrote: »
    Ciara Kelly has got her own medical show starting on Saturday 9am(I think).

She doesn't sound like herself in the ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Cant they afford the studio at The Ploughing this year.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

Can someone tell me what Henry McKeen has on Denis O'Brien? How on earth he is giving slots on Drive which should be a prime slot for newstalk is beyond me, actually how he gets any airtime is beyond me. He must have some serious dirt!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Their discussion on gender in the workforce and their reaction to the texts afterwards was pathetic:
    Chris reading a text; "one sided piece on the gender pay gap which research shows does not exist"
    Sarah; "Gender discrimination DOESN'T EXIST????"
    Chris; "em i think the text...eh...the text"
    Sarah; "That text has to be from A MAN, no woman in Ireland, no woman IN THE WORLD could say that"
    Chris; "eh...the text...eh...the gender pay gap"
    Sarah; "Gender discrimination doesn't exist???? MY BLOOD IS BOILING!!!"
    Chris; "Obviously eh...the gender pay gap.......the gender pay gap does exist!"
    Sarah; "I'm moving to the next segment but my blood is still boiling"

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

well the new line up is up and running a while now and if im anything to go by its gonna be a complete disaster for them on the listenership stakes.

i like having pat on at 9 as it gets me through to sean on RTE at 10 and gives me a good switch option should either be crap on the day but by GOD the breakfast show is a carcrash.

i only tune into it now for the business section and god help me if the usual guy is off like today. listening to paul williams trying to engage with him was awfull. in fact now when i hear pauls voice i know its time to turn off as i can only semi hack it when its shane and collette.

highnoon is a bit mad but hook can keep me entertained til the news at one which suits me but after that i honestly cant say what they got to get me back to newstalk after that.

to this day i dont think ive heard more than 5min of drive and i used to follow the right hook at least semi regularly. its like my mind is has used the new schedule as a "jumping off point" for that show. doesnt help ive no real time for its presenters who may as well be broadcasting from UCD.

I gave up on moncreif long ago so the shorter time for that show actually suits me.

i'll give newstalk credit for trying something as audacious as this reshuffle. but i cant see how its not gonna be a disaster on the JLNRS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 907 ✭✭✭foxtrot101

well the new line up is up and running a while now and if im anything to go by its gonna be a complete disaster for them on the listenership stakes.

I gave up trying to predict JNLR figures after the new lot took over Off The Ball. I was convinced that they would shed a load of listeners, but they didn't. There's no accounting for other peoples taste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

snotboogie wrote: »
    Their discussion on gender in the workforce and their reaction to the texts afterwards was pathetic:
    Chris reading a text; "one sided piece on the gender pay gap which research shows does not exist"
    Sarah; "That text has to be from A MAN, no woman in Ireland, no woman IN THE WORLD could say that"

They should get an Economist on to explain the "gender pay gap" to her. They won't though because all sorts of inconvenient truths begin emerging when the gap is examined in depth.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,562 ✭✭✭snotboogie

snotboogie wrote: »

They should get an Economist on to explain the "gender pay gap" to her. They won't though because all sorts of inconvenient truths begin emerging when the gap is examined in depth.

They did examine it in depth, even got two experts on to help them and of course only looked at it from the angle that women are universally exploited in the Irish workforce while ignoring all of the glaringly obvious questions that those conclusions raised. It seemed like the text response was furious but was quickly and aggressively shut down by Sarah.

Bobby Kerr. The business agony uncle.

Sweet Jesus.

Poor ol Sarah is just so far out of her depth. She is forever stumbling over words and getting her sentences completely muddled as a result. This happens every time I switch on. I didn't last long yesterday as they had Henry McKean on.

I'm done with that show now. Its Last Word all the way from here at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Its saying something but Sarah is making Chris, if you like, I suppose, Donoghue sound semi-competent.

Hmm.

I know it's early days, and I admit I haven't caught a huge amount of it...but I think Chris & Sarah are doing quite well in the evening. Much better than I expected.

Definitely refreshing after years of George's old man nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,936 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Hmm.

I know it's early days, and I admit I haven't caught a huge amount of it...but I think Chris & Sarah are doing quite well in the evening. Much better than I expected.

Definitely refreshing after years of George's old man nonsense.

i think you need to catch more of it!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement