Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AMD Zen Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Anyone else getting long POST times. My board seems to cycle a few time before it starts to load windows. Once it does it's very fast and seems stable. It's almost as if it's memory training each time.

Furthermore I've very high temps - 80-90C on AIDA64 stress test on a H100i. Is this a know issue?

Last thing the BIOS looks really stripped down - is this due to the EPROM thing?

sugarman wrote: »
    At a guess I'd say the bios update ws probably just lashed together and released asap to enable support for Zen 2 to boost sales. Theres probably a lot of bugs and features missing.

From experience it's certainly been the case in the past on more than one occasion.

I'd expect a more stable release to follow.

How long did you have Aida64 running for?

Thanks for the reply. I agree on the BIOS. I was only running AIDA64 for a couple of minutes.

There are diag LEDs and it's actually sitting on VGA for ages. Any reports of issues with the 1080ti that you or anyone else is aware of?

I'm on v18 the latest one in the support section on their website. I'm on a B450 Tomahawk.

Edit: found the v19 beta - gonna try that wish me luck.

Okay, that's worse :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm tempted to just not even bother putting my system together when my package finally arrives after it's unintentional scenic trip around Australia because there are a lot of comments out there about high voltages and temps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Paul_Mc1988

Ryzen is behaving oddly though. High idle voltages, cores reving for no real reason, temps quite poor. Inclined to think the beta bios is at fault.

Jaystwocents on YouTube done an exact video on this issue the other day. Have a watch to show how to resolve. His fix brings down the temps adds stability and performance too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

• Registered Users Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Polar101

Yeah, I think I'll wait until AMD fixes the voltage issues. I'm not too interested in setting up a system which runs hot if you have something running.

Only the motherboard has arrived so far, so waiting a few days isn't really an issue anyway..

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Polar101 wrote: »
    Yeah, I think I'll wait until AMD fixes the voltage issues. I'm not too interested in setting up a system which runs hot if you have something running.

Only the motherboard has arrived so far, so waiting a few days isn't really an issue anyway..

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Have a look at this. I might shed some light why voltage seems to be high.
    Post by Robert Hallock from AMD.

"Magic wrote:
    =);110694224"]https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

Have a look at this. I might shed some light why voltage seems to be high.
    Post by Robert Hallock from AMD.

I'm with terror on this. I'm not buying it. Temps keep ramping up on me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Jaystwocents on YouTube done an exact video on this issue the other day. Have a watch to show how to resolve. His fix brings down the temps adds stability and performance too. :)

This is the video in question:

Quite literally the mainboard sets itself coompletely wrong at the first boot up. No idea why - and that's an X570 board. The voltages are actually quite insane - 1.47 vCore and 1.48 on the RAM are liquid-nitrogen territory settings...

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Buy MSI B450 boards so ;)

I did.;)

Seems to be a lot of problems with them at the moment though.

I think that's probably the same HyperX i have on my Amazon wishlist in case it's discounted more.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07GL6CLTT/?coliid=I344BZPTBGSRAB&colid=1XV2E29MPXDUN&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

My discount hoping came true. £17 quid cheaper now. Yoink!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

I haven't watched the video but I've seen alot of people reporting that temps and voltages settle down if you turn off PBO.

I'm not sure if i'll build the new system now until there's a new MSI BIOS update released that actually works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

.G. wrote: »
    I haven't watched the video but I've seen alot of people reporting that temps and voltages settle down if you turn off PBO.

Was just about to say this. I didn't realise PBO was on, on my b450m mortar my 3600 is now behaving normally....voltages low and downclocking at idle.

Obviously not working right at the moment, but the performance gain is pretty negligible even if it was so I'd be leaving it off anyway.

Good to hear, I'll turn it off on our one when it gets here. I'm hope everything goes well with the bios flash on the MSI board I have coming and the thing boots as MSI don't seem to be in a hurry to update their existing Bios for the older boards. My son plays Destiny 2 aswell so I hope any new bios includes that fix too! Naturally the x570 Bios has been updated several times so far.

I'm not sure if i'll build the new system now until there's a new MSI BIOS update released that actually works.

The thread on MSI forums linked a page back is worrying! Especially the bit where someone contacted MSI and they said they had no plans to release any more bios updates for b450 boards! Their silence on their own forums is unsettling.

The thread on MSI forums linked a page back is worrying! Especially the bit where someone contacted MSI and they said they had no plans to release any more bios updates for b450 boards! Their silence on their own forums is unsettling.

They're (slightly) more active on Reddit. Apparently all of the boards are being worked on. Oddly though the B450 Tomahawk is not listed for a beta BIOS. Going to give it a couple more days then I'm sending it back and I'll guess I'll have to look at a X570 board.

They're (slightly) more active on Reddit. Apparently all of the boards are being worked on. Oddly though the B450 Tomahawk is not listed for a beta BIOS. Going to give it a couple more days then I'm sending it back and I'll guess I'll have to look at a X570 board.

Yeah have started pricing those up myself, very last resort.

EDIT: The mobo I ordered isn't on their beta update list either, its mATX version is though, would that work?

• Advertisement

Yeah have started pricing those up myself, very last resort.

EDIT: The mobo I ordered isn't on their beta update list either, its mATX version is though, would that work?

I'm afraid I simply don't know. Is there a non-beta BIOS listed for it on the support section of the Mobos page?

Was just about to say this. I didn't realise PBO was on, on my b450m mortar my 3600 is now behaving normally....voltages low and downclocking at idle.

Obviously not working right at the moment, but the performance gain is pretty negligible even if it was so I'd be leaving it off anyway.

I can't install Ryzen Master, I get the 'Newer Version error.

However I selected Balanced power mode in windows and it's behaving a bit better.

I'd do a clean install but it takes 5 minutes to POST so I'm not putting myself through that :pac:

Are you having the long post issue with the Mortar?

I'm afraid I simply don't know. Is there a non-beta BIOS listed for it on the support section of the Mobos page?

Yeah that's what I have to go with. If it doesn't work I'm not even going to bother fluting about with it, send it back for a refund and get a x570 if there isn't a beta bios by then.

Had a look at the Asus website to see what support from them is like and they have only released one bios for their older boards too also in June, assume their's work though :pac:

Just on the X570 boards, rumor on reddit is MSI are scrambling to fix the older boards and not fixing things on their X570 boards for the next couple of weeks or so. So I think avoid MSI if the B450 you've ordered doesn't work.

Yeah been reading loads of complaints about Gigabyte x570 Bios too which is a shame as the Aorus elite seems very good for the price, will probably go with Asus, they are knocking bios out nearly daily it seems from their support page. If MSI could give us an eta it wouldn't be so bad but all we get is "soon"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Are you having the long post issue with the Mortar?

Nope. Works fine.

I have Ryzen Master installed but don't use it at all. Will probably uninstall it.

I really hope i don't have to go down the X570 route.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I can't install Ryzen Master, I get the 'Newer Version error.

However I selected Balanced power mode in windows and it's behaving a bit better.

I'd do a clean install but it takes 5 minutes to POST so I'm not putting myself through that :pac:

I came across this on Reddit, seems a little late for an April fools joke but people are claiming it works...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cdi519/i_literally_stumbled_into_a_simple_workaround
    TLDR: If you have an MSI motherboard with a Ryzen 3000 series CPU, and it hangs when you try to boot, clicking the reset button and then holding down the power button for 2-3 seconds may correct the hang and allow you to continue booting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Advertisement